Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you "decorate" the inside of your cards?

I recently went to a Christmas card "stamp a stack". We made 8 cards (2 each of 4 designs)

One thing I noticed that the demo did was had us adhere a piece of either white or vanilla cardstock to the inside of the card. I really never did this before. I've always used a black ink for the inside greeting on the "base" of the card. I actually liked it though.

Then I saw a card on Pinterest a couple weeks ago that had a white base for her card and she also used DSP on the front as a mat with a die cut in it. But when you opened up the card, she used a strip of DSP and put it at the bottom of the card along with the die cut "positive" from the front. It was really, really cute. And something that I would have never thought of but it was a great way to use up essentially a strip of paper that I would have normally thrown away.

This may not be new to any of you, but I've not been stamping for a few years now and I'm just getting back into it. Now I can't wait to go downstairs today and bang out some Christmas cards.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I don't decorate the insides very much...but if the card base is really bright or is a darker color, then I do put a white piece on the inside to make the writing a lot easier to read.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #3  

I decorate most of the insides of my cards. I find it adds an extra touch. I also put in a piece of either Whisper White or Very Vanilla.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

For me it depends on who I'm giving the card to if I decorate the inside of the card or not. What I nearly always do, though, is decorate the envelope. I think that makes a card extra special for the recipient, and it's just a fun thing to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
I recently went to a Christmas card "stamp a stack". We made 8 cards (2 each of 4 designs)

One thing I noticed that the demo did was had us adhere a piece of either white or vanilla cardstock to the inside of the card. I really never did this before. I've always used a black ink for the inside greeting on the "base" of the card. I actually liked it though.

Then I saw a card on Pinterest a couple weeks ago that had a white base for her card and she also used DSP on the front as a mat with a die cut in it. But when you opened up the card, she used a strip of DSP and put it at the bottom of the card along with the die cut "positive" from the front. It was really, really cute. And something that I would have never thought of but it was a great way to use up essentially a strip of paper that I would have normally thrown away.

This may not be new to any of you, but I've not been stamping for a few years now and I'm just getting back into it. Now I can't wait to go downstairs today and bang out some Christmas cards.
Had a similar experience at a card-making event recently. Opened up new horizons for me -- even decorating the inside w/o a white 'liner.'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I always adhere a piece of white or vanilla to the side for the sentiment...sometimes I ink the edges or distress a little to match whatever is on the outside. Sometimes I mat it to match. It looks more finished to me. I've seen so many cards where the outside was as piece of art and the inside seemed like an afterthought. I've occasionally decorated the envelope and that really adds a special custom touch, too.

Marcia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Same here, from day one I've always glued white or vanilla cs to the inside on colored cs. I feel it gives the card more dimension and interest. Now that I have accumulated some great stamp sets I stamp one of the smaller images in the set on the upper right corner of the inside to coordinate with the theme on the front of the card. I only do this if there is no stamped sentiment on the inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter told me to do 'something' for the inside of my cards. She said I spend so much time on the outside that just putting in a copy paper liner is just too 'plain'. I have just started putting in a decorated liner. Sometimes it is only using a corner punch.

Amy Rysavy always decorates the inside of her cards. Her cards look great inside and out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Since Copics and sometimes stamp pad ink bleed through a lot of cardstock, I make it a rule to use one or more layers for the sentiment, usually a couple of Nestability dies.

The inside looks way too bare if I don't also have some small decoration added----a smaller version or fragment of whatever theme is on the front. Funny, though, it always seems like so much effort goes into creating the front that once that is accomplished 'I just want to be done with it' when it comes to decorating the inside and envelope. Too bad, too, as a colorful envelope is sooo nice for someone to receive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I mostly use dark colored bases so I always place a white or ivory liner on the inside for writing sentiments and signatures. I don't do any decorating on the inside, but I think it's a great idea and I'm going to try it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I never used to but I do now after I saw some card designers examples. I like the more finished look it gives; I make sure it's out of the way so there's still plenty of room to write. I also always put in a liner, especially when I use a dark card base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I don't decorate the insides very much...but if the card base is really bright or is a darker color, then I do put a white piece on the inside to make the writing a lot easier to read.
I do this, too. I've also started lining even white card bases if my base card is too lightweight for the layers on the front of the card. Some of my cardstock bends a bit if my card front gets at all heavy (particularly GP or SU's WW), so I will put a liner (or even a 2-layer matted liner) inside to balance it out and keep the card from bending. I think I picked this idea up from an Operation Write Home blog or tutorial, if I remember correctly. It's helped me use up some of my lighter-weight CS, and it really makes the card feel sturdier. I rarely decorate the inside of my card or the envelope, but I really should do that more often!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I always decorate the insides of my cards. I use white or vanilla (whatever matches best), then I use an edge punch to punch the bottom and then I also stick a strip of designer paper on the bottom. I make my own envelopes out of designer paper too. It's a whole package to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I am always thinking how the inside is going to tie in with the outside. It's just a extra surprise when they open it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I never used to. Then I started seeing more samples with an inside liner; and made a few cards at my demo's house with a liner that had a smaller image out of the set we used on the front stamped on a corner.

I will do it now for holiday cards if my base is dark, and I will always decorate the liner somehow, even if it's just to ink the edges or stamp a very small image in the corner. Like others, it's also useful to balance out the weight of a card if using lighter weight card stock like SU's Whisper White.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I almost always use colored bases (my colored cs won't get used up otherwise!) and add a white or off white piece to the inside with a bit of DSP or a punched edge to coordinate with the front.
I see it as one more area to have some fun with!

Last edited by Cartermrc; 10-30-2012 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I use thin white paper and do both sides inside the card.(like a book) Just the corner on the left side stamped then a stamped verse on the right side. I run a strip of tape on either side of the fold to attach the paper, I think it just looks better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I should do all the insides, because I love receiving a card where the inside is decorated. It's always such a nice surprise!

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a liner in my cards but not cardstock, just paper. I have found that using card stock is not only WAY more expensive but also makes the card much thicker than I prefer. Sometimes I will punch the bottom corners or maybe stamp a corner flourish on them. Inside my Christmas cards this year there will be a small snowman in the bottom corner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I started putting a layer on the inside to balance out the weight of the card so it wouldn't fall over.

Sometimes it is as simple as a layered shape cut with some spellbinders dies.

Other times it is a white layer with a stamp or die cut shape relating to the front of the card.

As I get more and more into cardmaking, I am getting better at doing the insides which now seem quite boring if I don't put something in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #21  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I do sometimes, but not all the time. I will put a piece of white or ivory in as a liner if I use a dark card base. Mostly, if I do decorate the inside, I will just stamp something small in either the lower left or upper right corner. Once in a while I will do the sentiment on a die-cut or layered die-cut. It is pretty rare for me to go all-out decorating the inside - unless the card is for my mother or grandmother.
I do, however, decorate my envelopes most of the time. Generally just stamp a co-ordinating image (or the same image) in one of the card colours on the lower left of the front of the envelope. If I am mailing the card myself (and not making it as part of gift set or something) then I might stamp on the back over the point of the envelope or make a little sticker/seal from a stamp or dp and my xyron.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

I always put a liner inside, either white or vanilla, and always do at least a little something to it, be it inking the sides, stamping a smaller stamp from or related to that on the front, a punched edge using CS from the front, etc. If it's a really fancy card, it gets a fancier inside, too. What's funny is that now, when I show my husband my latest card, he ALWAYS checks the inside and asks if I'm going to do something in there if I haven't already. "Yes dear, I'm going to finish the inside."

What I do need to start doing is decorating the envelopes. I make my own if they don't fit into a pre-made A2 size, but I always forget to decorate them. But maybe getting a vivid purple envelope in the mail precludes the need for decoration?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

So true, dahling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I put in a copy weight liner using the tons of old Hot Off the Press paper I had left over from scrapbooking years ago. I also add a narrow border of the printed paper from the front [I almost always use printed papers] to the bottom edge of the liner. This way one of these days all my papers will be used up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sometimes decorate a bit on my personal cards. It would take me too long on the ones i send to the soldiers and provide for two churches to sell.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

When using dark colors I always put a white/vanilla liner inside and usually stamp a small image inside. I also like to stamp the coordinating image on the envelope. It is a nice surprise for the recipient.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 02:48 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I always have a layer on the inside usually with a piece of PP that I used on the front and an image off to the side that is on the front or at least goes with it.

I tend to use a few layers on the front so having that extra one on the inside seems to help balance it if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 05:24 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree with you, Marcia. I just automatically put a white or vanilla liner in my cards. It just seems to give a finished look.

Wanda

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
I always adhere a piece of white or vanilla to the side for the sentiment...sometimes I ink the edges or distress a little to match whatever is on the outside. Sometimes I mat it to match. It looks more finished to me. I've seen so many cards where the outside was as piece of art and the inside seemed like an afterthought. I've occasionally decorated the envelope and that really adds a special custom touch, too.

Marcia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #29  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

In the past I never put anything on the inside unless base was dark and then I would just put in a white piece of paper to write on or stamp the sentiment. Recently though I've been adding maybe a strip of DSP that I used from the front. I also like the idea of decorating the envelopes but I don't do that often as I can never come up with a good idea. Great thread though to spark ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes I do. Depending on what color cardstock I use and who it's for.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I do; at stamp club we never did, but I found that if I'm using WW or VV cardstocks, I need to add a inside layer for support. I also think it adds an element of sharpness or elegance to the card.

The darker card bases need an inside layer to make the sentiment/note "pop" and stand out more. I received a cherry cobbler card with a sentiment written in black ink and it just looked/felt 'sloppy'--come to think of it every card I receive that is written directly on the card base or stamped on the card base with no inside layer just doesn't appeal to me no matter how gorgeous the outside of the card is.....just my honest sentiment.

I just haffta have an inside layer - LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well when I first started making cards I was a scrap booker and a friend kept trying to get me into cards. She put a piece of copy paper inside every card just cut 1/4 inch smaller. I have always done that. It gives your card a much more finished look and if I spend all the time and effort making the card I want it to continue to be nice inside. Now I have taken to decorating them more. Depends on my mood as to what I do but I never leave it plain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I'll line the inside of my cards and decorate them too. I'm getting to the point where I don't think a card is done until the inside is done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

I love decorating the inside of my cards. A little stamping, strips of DSP add so much to the finished project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I decorate the inside about half the time and always at Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes