Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-30-2018, 09:26 PM   #41
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
I have people who tell me they have every card ive sent them! I say, toss them! You'd toss it if it was store bought. I enjoyed making it, enjoyed the knowledge that they enjoyed it. Now its time to let it go! I recycle anything I can, and toss them after a while. I know this isn't what the original poster was talking about, though. I don't usually hear from people who receive my cards unless i see them face to face. I don't think cards are considered the same as a gift. I usually get a thank you if a gift was in it!

Agree - enjoy the moments spent making them and don't make gifts an obligation or burden - if it's freely given, that is its own thanks. I love painting, stamping, etc. The gift has really already thanked me. I just hope to share a few moments of joy with whoever I send it to. In one sense it's just paper, but also it's time spent doing something fun and the extra bonus is someone else getting happy mail. I don't care what people do with them and I don't expect to be thanked. I thanked myself with the process .

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store | My Online Classes
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
cjzim, cnsteele, abbysmom2198 and 2 others like this post.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:15 PM   #42
Insane Embellisher

I think after reading all this I will always send electronic gift cards rather than feel-able plastic cards.
fl_beachbum and westiemom like this post.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:16 AM   #43
Stampin' Fool

1) Several years ago we had a secondary Post Office and I had lots of issues with missing mail. A secondary location was where the PO had contracted out to another business to accept mail for them. It was so much closer and less busy than the one and only official location. I was in seventh heaven because I was hosting swaps at the time and using the new location saved me tons of time.... until some of the envelopes started "getting lost" on a regular basis. Went back to using the real Post Office and suddenly there were no missing packages anymore.

2) We get that daily email that lets you know what you will be getting in the mail that day. A couple of months ago we were not getting all of our mail; bills, checks, even sales flyers and other junk mail would be missing. This went on for just over a week then suddenly we got all the important stuff and were no longer missing things from our daily delivery. Funny how is lasted a week, sounds like someone was on vacation and the fill in couldn't be bothered to do their job.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:59 AM   #44
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue View Post
Agree - enjoy the moments spent making them and don't make gifts an obligation or burden - if it's freely given, that is its own thanks. I love painting, stamping, etc. The gift has really already thanked me. I just hope to share a few moments of joy with whoever I send it to. In one sense it's just paper, but also it's time spent doing something fun and the extra bonus is someone else getting happy mail. I don't care what people do with them and I don't expect to be thanked. I thanked myself with the process .

AGAIN.... I do not need to be thanked. I have experienced significant issues with the two post offices nearest my home as well as delivery at my home. I would only like to know that what I mailed is received. At this point, I would say about half of it has not been delivered.
fl_beachbum likes this post.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:10 AM   #45
Insane Embellisher

I send few cards compared to many of you. My cards look handmade on purpose --mostly, HA! But so many of you here make professional looking cards. Is it clear to many on long lists of recipients (some of whom may not know you well) that your cards are hand made by you? Even if you put handmade labels on the back, could recipients think they were purchased from little, elegant shops? For me that could never be an issue because I'm only sending cards to 30 max, all of whom have seen my skill progress from embarrassing low points. But for those not being acknowledged by recipients, I can tell you the only thing worse IS being thanked when you regret hurriedly seniing out cards you wish WOULD be sent back.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:13 AM   #46
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I feel bad for all of you who have had major problems with the post office. You would think the USPS would love the card making community, because we do help keep them going in this age of electronic communication. Sigh.

But regarding the title of this thread... Do people even want to receive cards? I say yes! Most of the cards I create and mail are for family birthdays or Christmas. In my family, it's a bit of a joke how often birthday greetings are belated because I fell behind on my list...but they are always hand crafted. For some older nephews, the cards are plain because I know they don't care that much...for my mom and my sisters-in-law, they are fancier cards because I know they will be appreciated. There are several people who have told me they keep my cards because they are special to them. That makes me smile!

When I send a "Thinking of You" or other out-of-the-blue card, I often get a text message or phone call, because hand written notes are rare, and people are grateful to be thought of. Like others have stated, I don't do it for the acknowledgement...but the type of response tells me that many people crave personalized messages and notes. So I keep sending them, and will as long as I am able.
My Gallery QFTD#207 My blog: Stamping for LIFE!

Join us for the "Holiday Stories" Virtual Stamp Night!!
Follow VSN threads HERE
Mini VSN: Fri Nov 2nd
Main Event: Fri Dec 14 & Sat Dec 15

cjzim, fl_beachbum, westiemom and 1 others like this post.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #47
Stazon Splitcoast

I needed to go to the post office yesterday, and while waiting in line, noticed their ad for an app so you can track your mail. Don't know much more about it, but the link is: usps.com/getinformed
fl_beachbum likes this post.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #48
Insane Embellisher

We use it. It comes to our inboxes every day but Sunday. It helps. It shows an actual picture of each piece of mail that is going to be delivered.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #49
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

It's awesome. There's one for UPS and FedEx too - you never have to wonder what's coming, and it can be rescheduled from the website if you aren't going to be home.

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store | My Online Classes
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 11-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #50
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryalena View Post
We use it. It comes to our inboxes every day but Sunday. It helps. It shows an actual picture of each piece of mail that is going to be delivered.

I would absolutely LOVE something like that. Then I'd know whether to leave the porch window open with a note . I had to go and collect a DVD before work yesterday and I swear it would have fit in the mail box if they'd tried. Since I wasn't expecting it, I had no idea what I was going to collect pr who it was from. My parcel forwarding service which I collect from a locker always send a photo once the package has arrived in the depot, but there's nothing in it to give much of a sense of scale which can be frustrating.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #51
Stazon Splitcoast

I would glad take any ones cards. Mom going Tulsa OK for cancer. I always donate cards for patients they always seen enjoy the card too. If anyone would like would help me by done your cards, please let me know. I love making cards and putting smiles on people faces. To me that's what it's all about. And I never revived a thank you either. But, I happy to do what little I can. Thanks Linda
Old 11-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #52
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniebean55 View Post
I needed to go to the post office yesterday, and while waiting in line, noticed their ad for an app so you can track your mail. Don't know much more about it, but the link is: usps.com/getinformed
I looked this up online and found that it's for incoming mail to your own address. It's not just an app for your phone. No free tracking for mail you send.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #53
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestmoon View Post
I looked this up online and found that it's for incoming mail to your own address. It's not just an app for your phone. No free tracking for mail you send.
Well pooh! That's the direction we need it. I don't send a lot, but I've been sending an email 'look for some happy mail coming your way' lately. (and speaking of email ... I can't keep up, email is now considered the same as snail mail ... so 'yesterday' for our techno world. oy!)
cjzim likes this post.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:20 AM   #54
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiemom View Post
AGAIN.... I do not need to be thanked. I have experienced significant issues with the two post offices nearest my home as well as delivery at my home. I would only like to know that what I mailed is received. At this point, I would say about half of it has not been delivered.

That would be astonishingly low. I’d wonder if people who were asked if they’d received cards reflexively said no out of embarrassment for not thanking you. Kids do it and so do adults.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:34 AM   #55
Hardware Hotshot

When I receive an unexpected card, it makes me feel better, lifted up, and touched by the thought behind it.

I mailed a card to a friend undergoing treatment for cancer. She put a photo of the card among other items on her blog, and snail mailed me a thank you note (!) for the support that the card made her feel.

While a written response is unusual; she is a most unusual person, but I think enough people want cards to make it worthwhile for those who want to make them. You never know how they’ll be received, and that’s part of the fun. No thank you, okay, but occasionally an unexpected whopper of a reaction.

Like Louisa May, I’ve wondered if the recipient realizes I’ve made the card. Sometimes I put it in the envelope backwards so it might be more obvious. My husband was talking to a neighbor about his dog who passed away, and the card I’d given was mentioned. The neighbor was apparently shocked I’d made it.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 11-03-2018 at 05:44 AM..
Old 11-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #56
Matboard Maniac

Talking

You never know...
Ten years ago I had a complicated fracture of my wrist. I worked for a year with an occupational therapist/certified hand therapist. I had a full recovery. I send my therapist a card for every Christmas , Halloween, and Valentines' Day.
Recently my nephew received therapy following shoulder therapy. He called to tell me, "It's a small world. This therapist had cards displayed throughout her office. I commented to her that they looked similar to what my aunt makes. She handed me one and there was your name!" I told him than the therapist and stamping gave me back the use of my hand and that I would forever be grateful.
She had kept them all! Knowing that, I need never receive another acknowledgement of any card I send.
The pleasure of making and giving is enough thanks for me. Then again, you never know...
TeeGeeDee, jeaniebean55, fionna51 and 4 others like this post.