Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do foam stamp pads rot when they get old?

I've been getting back into stamping and I'm finding a few of my old stamp pads have disintegrated. How long are stamp pads supposed to last? Thanks for any insights from all of the long time stampers here!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2017, 03:28 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I pulled out some old metallic pads at Christmas time and they had totally disintegrated. I also lost a StazOn white pad when the clear cover was completely stuck onto the pad and it ripped apart when I forced it. So, yes, I guess foam pads rot over time. My advice is to use them and keep them inked and don't lock them away like I did. I have many old Stampin' Up! foam craft pads that I use and they still look like new.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I've only had pigment ink pads break down. All of my nearly-ancient dye ink pads are still fine...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2017, 06:04 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes

A lot of things can affect the pad it depends of type of ink, color-aka metallics, material pad is made of...etc:
I have had a silver ink pad melt, Colorbox petal inks both melt and disintegrate and a Vivid pad crumble before it was old. but...

I have a case of Sugarloaf permanent dye inks which haven't been made/available for probably a decade and a half that are drying out but the pads are fine. I also have 2 PSX dye ink pads that are still almost perfect. They are neither crumbling or dried out completely and I couldn't even tell you how long that company has been out of business - a really, really long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

My pigment spots by color box disintegrated right before my eyes! Most of my other dye pads are fabric.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks everyone for all the info! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. The latest pad in question is a Marvy Matchables dye ink pad. I have about a dozen of these and considering how old they are (15-20yrs), are all in good shape, except for the black one, which fell apart on me last night. I used it to stamp several images and all seemed fine until as I inked one clear stamp, the top layer of foam peeled off and fell onto my project! Yuuukk! I have no idea why it decided to give up the ghost. The only other time something similar happened was about 5 years ago when I decided to use an old CTMH embossing pad. It was dried out and I had the re-inker, so I re-inked it and let it set for a day. The next day when I went to use it, the pad was squishy. I mean when you depressed it onto a stamp to ink it, the pad didn't pop back up (the impression of the stamp remained) and then when I looked closer at it, you could see that chunks of it were disintegrating. Not a big deal as both these pads were old. I just wanted to make sure I am storing my pads to maximize their life. All in all, I guess just 2 isn't too bad, so I must be doing something right. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2017, 05:46 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ugh, been there done that...

Nothing like working on something, grabbing an ink pad and suddenly there are nasty little clump ruining your project. The more you try to remove those little bits the more you smear and mess things up. my sympathies!!

One thing I've had to realize, ok more like get over is not to hoard my crafting and art supplies because they do not last forever. I now look upon certain items as "use it or lose it" products and ink pads would especially be on that list. I will be heart broken when/if I have problems my Marvys though since I can't replace them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2017, 02:42 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Default Hoarding supplies

Hoarding craft supplies, moi? NEVER! Who does that? LOL! I try hard not to hoard but like you say, some things you can't get anymore which means you really have to think twice before getting rid of it. I haven't been stamping in awhile and have just started getting back into it. It is kind of nice that most of my supplies are still good. But, I'm sure there's a lot of new stuff to tickle your fancy, like those new Distress Oxides! Now there's something tempting to add to the hoard!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2017, 03:31 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got pigment pads that are 20+ years old, and all are fine. Maybe climate/humidity plays a part? As for those Staz-On Opaques, they are the only pads I have ever had an issue with. The ink has a nasty tendency to stick to the plastic cover, as lutheran said, and then the pad tears when you try to get it off. Worst inkpads I ever bought- taught me a bit about jumping on bandwagons, if nothing else!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have some that are easily 15 + years old and they are fine, but I remember once having a embossing ink stamp pad that turned into a gloopy sticky mess, but it was a cheap one so I got what I paid for, I mean it probably only lasted 10 years lol!

Like Shaz I think it may be down to climate, with humidity etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAscrapgalView Post
But, I'm sure there's a lot of new stuff to tickle your fancy, like those new Distress Oxides! Now there's something tempting to add to the hoard!
Oh, do this! They are SO much fun to play with. If you need more encouragement, check out Jennifer MacGuire's video tutorial on them. It is very good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Had to throw away all of my Perfect Pearls Medium pads because they caved in and got mushy. I'm happy with my felt die-based ink pads. They hold the inks longer than the dye pads with sponge bases. I've also had some of the old Color Box go bad. But my trusty gold one still going strong and it has to be 15 years old! Who know why this happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problems, after I tossed several old ink pads, I was left with the refills only.
I found on Amazon and ordered unlinked pads and filled them up with the refills.
On the other hand I have ink pads from 2006 and are in perfect order.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
heylookatme (03-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a riding hood red ink pad from SU! that grew some lumpy mold like stuff on it. I tried scraping it off but it didn't work. I've been meaning to buy an Uninked pad to use the reinker for ages now. Anyone else have a SU! Pad with a weird orangey growth? (The orange colour could be from the ink I suppose)
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Rebecca, I did have that same problem with one of my SU real red ink pads as did one of my customers. I wonder if it had something to do with whatever the red dye was??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I have also had mixed results with ink pads lasting 15+ years, while new-ish ones go bad quickly. One weird experience was only one of the colors in a Colorbox Crafter's ink set oozing with a gross liquid. Threw that one out and the other colors are just fine. It's probably 16 yrs old!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Perhaps the components of the ink and/or the pads could be the culprit?
Dye inks are simple & waterbased.
Pigment inks, hybrids, & chalk inks involve more elements & chemicals ... and it seems those would possibly deteriorate over time, depending on the pad style + ink combo involved.

Over the years I've tossed a couple of smelly pads .. figuring it was the chemicals/elements involved from one company or one "batch lot" to another. Then add on the varied temps of our storage locations & air flow, & humidity ...
Heck! We could have a experiment for someone needing a new idea to explore for a science project!
LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

I pulled this Color Box pad out today. I've had it for a long, long time.
How weird is that that one swatch went bad? Actually the one on the end is starting to go as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Do foam stamp pads rot when they get old?-img_1761.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I had several of my Colorbox ink pads shrink and disintegrate. Not sure why some and not the others, as I've have them all about the same amount of time. I also had my Riding Hood Red dye ink pad get all bumpy. Doubt it was mold, but think it was the components of the color separating. I just got some Cut and Dry and made a new pad. I have another red of the SU new linen pad (in the crazy container), that is a bit discolored, but works OK. I don't like the really new pads SU has made and refuse to buy them. I like dye ink on a linen pad. All the rest of my old SU pads (even the flip top ones) are just great and I've had them since the mid-late 90's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When we were deciding what type of pad to use for our dye inks, our manufacturer highly recommended not using foam even though they offered both. They explained to me that the felt type of pad had a much longer life expectancy and could be refilled for years and years. At first we considered going with foam, however, I personally had foam pads that shrunk, had chunks taken out of them from very basic techniques and they foam wouldn't glide as nicely over the paper as the fabric/felt style. I also noticed that foam pads would clog up detailed images and blur lines together where fabric-felt style pads did not. Both gave crisp, solid images. We ended up taking the advice of our manufacturer and we are very happy we did.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Gina for the information. ��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2020, 05:28 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Quote:

I've been getting back into stamping and I'm finding a few of my old stamp pads have disintegrated. How long are stamp pads supposed to last? Thanks for any insights from all of the long time stampers here!

I have some newer SU ink pads and that have started cracking and peeling. I don't know what this is from. I have heard that it is some sort of fungus that attacks the ink pad. Reinking does not work. The cracks and peeling are still there. Has anyone else had this trouble?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2020, 05:30 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

Quote:

I had a riding hood red ink pad from SU! that grew some lumpy mold like stuff on it. I tried scraping it off but it didn't work. I've been meaning to buy an Uninked pad to use the reinker for ages now. Anyone else have a SU! Pad with a weird orangey growth? (The orange colour could be from the ink I suppose)

Yes! I have on some of my SU ink pads. I have heard it's some sort of fungus and thought I was the only one experiencing this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2020, 05:37 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I hate the new foam pads from SU. Too hard to control how much ink gets on the stamp or project. Maybe it is better for acrylic stamps, but I use rubber and it gets places I don't want it to be no matter what I do. If they star disintegrating, I'm really going to be upset.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca Ednie[IMG]//images.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/scs2/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG]

Yes! I have on some of my SU ink pads. I have heard it's some sort of fungus and thought I was the only one experiencing this.

Views:
Size: ">Attachment 368677
Attached Thumbnails
Do foam stamp pads rot when they get old?-crushed-curry.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

This happened to me with Riding Hood Red, as well. I ended up using a Cut N Dry pad filled with reinker in a different plastic container and am using it to this day with no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

Quote:

This happened to me with Riding Hood Red, as well. I ended up using a Cut N Dry pad filled with reinker in a different plastic container and am using it to this day with no problems.

I had 3 that turned that way and just discovered my Early Exppresso is doing the same thing. I hope this doesn't happen to them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

I know this is an older post, but just had to say that I had the orange/brown bumpy mold grow on several different red ink pads by SU. I scraped off the mold as well, but the pads are just done for. Bought some Cut N Dry foam and just need to remember to use it with my reinkers instead of the pads. So disappointing that SU didn't anticipate this problem with the red dye inks. It happened to 4 different older red ink pads.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #29  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

Yes, I have it on my Crushed Curry foam ink pad. It's been there for a couple years now, around the edges, but I can still stamp with it and reink without trouble. I had the same problem with my Riding Hood Red and Ruby Red ink pads and they were the old-style linen. I used them until I could not reink them anymore but it took several years to get to that point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Yes, I have it on my Crushed Curry foam ink pad. It's been there for a couple years now, around the edges, but I can still stamp with it and reink without trouble. I had the same problem with my Riding Hood Red and Ruby Red ink pads and they were the old-style linen. I used them until I could not reink them anymore but it took several years to get to that point.

So disappointed when my Riding Hood Red ink pad went bad, and then they discontinued the color. It was a favorite for me. Cherry Cobbler and Ruby Red linen pads grew mold and crystals too.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2020, 08:16 PM   #31  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

YES, a couple of days ago, I discovered ALL of my Color Box pads (including metallics) kind of disintegrated when I tried them.  
(I'm just getting back into stamping/cardmaking after !!!7 years!!! )

And my SU! Cherry Cobbler had TINY orange dots all over the foam pad.  My Riding Hood Red is fine......for now?  All my other SU! pads, felt and sponge/foam are fine.....for now?  
I'm thinking pigments, reds and metallic ink formulas may have a shorter usable life span as well as just being kinda fussy in general.  But that's just wild speculation.

I also feel like I prefer felt over sponge/foam.  
I still love my clear stamps, but I also prefer rubber over photopolymer , but that's a whole 'nother post, right?!  :LOL:  )

Does anyone know if Gina K ink pads are felt?  The website just says "large raised pad"  
Thx!   

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 290 Likes on 192 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzaPartyView Post
YES, a couple of days ago, I discovered ALL of my Color Box pads (including metallics) kind of disintegrated when I tried them.  
(I'm just getting back into stamping/cardmaking after !!!7 years!!! )

Oh no! I took a 10 year break from stamping so I’m kinda afraid to look at my Color Box pads - guess I’ll do that tomorrow and get it over with.

I don’t like the new SU! ink pad cases - I miss the thicker ones with the grip thing on the side. I keep getting ink on my fingers when I’m opening and closing the new ink pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2View Post

guess I’ll do that tomorrow and get it over with.

Hopefully your Color Box inks are just fine and dandy!  Maybe update after you've checked?  
Thanks for the quick review of the latest SU! pads.....I also love the grippy cases of the previous "model".  After I've used them all up, I'm thinking about Gina K or Catherine Pooler?  Geez, there are SO many options/companies.  

Re: Hiatus from this hobby
I've been seeing a lot of posts here of people getting back into stamping/cardmaking this year after being gone for a looong time.  
Good ol' 2020.....a year to remember!  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 290 Likes on 192 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzaPartyView Post

Hopefully your Color Box inks are just fine and dandy!  Maybe update after you've checked?  

Only one of the four pads is bad - the platinum foam is rock hard. I tried adding some ink but when I pressed down with the tip to rub it in, it made a little divot. Oh well, guess that means I get to go shopping for a new ink pad (like I really need an excuse?! 😁)
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
heylookatme (03-21-2024)
Old 10-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My Stampin Up Cherry Cobbler felt pad had the gunk on it.  So today I held the pad under warm running water in the sink and washed the felt pad with some Dawn dishsoap.  Letting it dry overnight and plan on reinking it.  I hope this works because I really like my old felt pads and all of my other colors look and work well.  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeannemlehrmanView Post
My Stampin Up Cherry Cobbler felt pad had the gunk on it.  So today I held the pad under warm running water in the sink and washed the felt pad with some Dawn dishsoap.  Letting it dry overnight and plan on reinking it.  I hope this works because I really like my old felt pads and all of my other colors look and work well.  

I washed my Riding Hood Red ink pad after it had that crust grow on it, but it grew more crust after I reinked the clean pad. I heard that it's a problem with the ink, and not with inkpad. Too bad, because I loved Riding Hood Red. My Cherry Cobbler pad grew some crust on it as well, but is still usable...but the Riding Hood Red one is a disaster. I might use some Ranger Cut and Dry foam to make my own ink pad, and re-ink with the Riding Hood reinker..

Hope you have better luck than I did.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post

I washed my Riding Hood Red ink pad after it had that crust grow on it, but it grew more crust after I reinked the clean pad. I heard that it's a problem with the ink, and not with inkpad. Too bad, because I loved Riding Hood Red. My Cherry Cobbler pad grew some crust on it as well, but is still usable...but the Riding Hood Red one is a disaster. I might use some Ranger Cut and Dry foam to make my own ink pad, and re-ink with the Riding Hood reinker..

Hope you have better luck than I did.
Karen

This is what I did several years ago and have had absolutely no problems.  So maybe it was the pad?  Riding Hood Red is one of my favs, too!
Reply With Quote Likes