Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do Demos Hold Workshops Anymore?

I know many do, but I checked my SU demo locator near my house and checked the website of all the ones that popped up near me and could not find a single event.

So that got me wondering. I know with the internet, things have really changed..but do many demos hold workshops anymore??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was my issue too!

Glad I'm not alone.

The one demo I found onlien had a workshop that I emailed about. She charged $10 for a class but we only got through 2 of the 4 cards because there were a bunch of new stampers plus she spent over half the time about joining her team. It was boring. Then no refund or credit for the fact we didn't get through all the cards we were supposed to make.

I'm interested to hear what other's have to say about this because I miss going to workshops... I really do.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Isn't that funny? I was wondering the same thing! My demo does but sometimes forgets to update her site. I wonder if it is the same for others. I have also been keeping my eye on some other local CTMH demos (now that I am one myself) and none of them have anything listed either. How strange...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 131 Likes on 72 Posts

i have a class every month, but i have to admit i sometimes forget to update my site. i send out emails to my current customers about classes, but i should really remember to update the demo website! thanks for the reminder.

My Blog
http://bethrush.stampinup.net/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #5  
neglecting the kids and housework

Well I can only speak for myself
I hold an event (class or SAS) every six weeks or so and have gotten back into doing true workshops as my customer base is expanding. I don't have the website tho. It's just not an expense that I care to cover.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #6  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

I have 2 local demos and they both still hold workshops. However, neither of them has a SU website, so I don't think they would show up on a search. I'm wondering if that may be the case with many demos.

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

i do but every time i post any type of event on my website no one shows :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #8  
ch
Mad Swapper

I've only done one 'party' in 6 years. If someone called me and said they would love to host a workshop and had 6 excited friends wanting to attend--I would certainly show them a good time.
I think Demos that are making money are certainly doing workshops and home parties. You have to have new customers to keep your business going. SU has had a big push to get back to the 'home party'. That is where you will meet new customers.
But it is 'work'! I quit doing classes/clubs because I spent way more than I made. That and I just had my 4th back fusion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this to be the case as well - I figured with the new catalog the few demos in my area would have a workshop or something, but nothing is scheduled.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my demo does, but not as many as a few years ago. I host one spring and fall, another couple ladies sometime during the year. I am finding for mine, I used to have amazing workshops, several of us were just starting out and there were some big spenders. Now we all have so much, there isn't as much we need to buy.

My demo is toying around with doing some technique workshops, mostly for the fun of trying something new and if someone wants to order something, great and if not, her costs are covered by the fee.

I wish she could find some new good spending customers; it would help her make her minimums. She is an amazing demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

My demo (before she moved) had tried but had really poor attendance. I think (some demo correct me if I'm wrong)that SU! has tried to help put the focus BACK into workshops. Do you have a couple of friends that want to stamp? Maybe have a party or host a workshop yourself? I personally don't have friends that are interested -I do miss the stampers 10 I was in years ago.

Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

when I was a demo, I considered a "workshop" anything that a customer wanted to host at their house. When I planned something it was a class or "stamp camp" deal.

I never had much luck doing many workshops. Ladies didn't want to have to clean their house and chase off the hubby and/or kids! Hosted a few classes at a community center every other month but it wasn't enough to cover my minimums and didn't attract enough new stampers to keep me going.

That being said, my demo prefers to have stamp CLUBS at her house. That way she's got all the materials she needs right at hand and is assured of her minimums each quarter. She has an amazing third floor stamping space too so I loved going for club last year.

She will do a one-time workshop if asked but prefers to have everyone go to her house anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

The demos in this area hold monthly workshops/stamp camps. Rarely do they do a home show...but once in awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand. It is expensive and time consuming and I hadn't thought about demos not having a website. Thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do however if you're not on a mailing list you might not be getting your local demo's events. Not everyone posts to a blog or has the demo website... Good luck on your hunt though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I do classes once a month and do a workshop whenever someone wants one. I don't know if I always get my website updated. Maybe you could just contact the demo and see if they do any. I am in Tennessee if anyone is in my area and would like to attend a class or have a workshop just drop me a note! With that being said, I also do a lot of clubs that are with people out of town and online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I hold workshops at the request of a customer or if I call them to schedule one. Sometimes I put it on my website, sometimes not.

Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

One gal in my area does quarterly "Stamp a Stacks" that you pay for (no problem) and give you the opportunity to order (if you desire). 15 cards for $20; bring your own tape.

I don't know how she does (sales-wise) but LOTS of people show up to her functions----like 40. Routinely.

Wish more would do THAT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
One gal in my area does quarterly "Stamp a Stacks" that you pay for (no problem) and give you the opportunity to order (if you desire). 15 cards for $20; bring your own tape.

I don't know how she does (sales-wise) but LOTS of people show up to her functions----like 40. Routinely.

Wish more would do THAT!
that is exactly the type of thing I used to go to and I also loved it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Some demos that are active don't actually post their events on their DBWS, drives me nuts! My upline has about 3-4 events every month but according to her DBWS she looks completely inactive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a monthly class and hold workshops whenever someone books one. I do know that a lot of demos don't update their websites. I try to keep my events calendar up to date, but the gallery gets away from me.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My demo holds a stamp camp every month (except August) at a local church hall. She gets great attendence. I don't think she does many workshops. Once in awhile my orders qualify me for Hostess benefits ;-) but I've never held a home workshop.

I switched to her from another demo who was more of a hobby demo.

Last edited by tigerlily55; 07-01-2010 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Misplaced smiley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Certainly not every Demonstrator has a website or blog, it's their choice to have one or not.

There are a lot of terms mentioned in this thread most of which to me sound like the same thing or kind of event. I'm not looking for an explanation, but are there differences between stamp camps, workshops, stamp a stack, classes and party? These terms may mean different things to different people.

I find it interesting to hear how some Demonstrators do have classes where they will actually teach different techniques. Some just have a class where all you do is past paper on paper (everything is pre-cut for you).

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi girls

Im from Australia but thought I would pop my 2 cents in lol!

Here is some info for you all. It may be a liitle different in the US though

Workshop
I held my first workshop 2 and a half years ago and a couple of girls booked workshops from my first one and it snowballed from there lol. So essentially a workshop is where you have a person that wants to hold a workshop in their home where they are the hostess and they invite their friends around for an afternoon or evening of stamping. I dont charge for this type of thing because there is a certain expectiation that they will put orders in to help the hostess qualify for hostess benefits. I usually do a couple of demonstrations and a make and take. I dont post these on my website or blog.

Classes
I hold these on the 1st friday of every month. I charge a set fee and hold it in a certain time frame. I advertise these on my website and blog and there is a registration & payment ( I usually require registration and payment 2 weeks before the class (I live in Perth and it takes a week for our orders to be shipped) They get to make more intensive projects. It could be a technique class, scrapbooking or something similar. If anyone wants to order anything that is their choice but i dont expect it.

Stampastack
I run these every three months they pay a set fee and make 12 cards pertaining to a different theme each time. I run these similar to my classes.

Stamp Clubs
I run these every so often and they are for people that agree to buy a certain amount of product every month and each person receives hostess benefits once in the 6 months duration of the club we make cute projects and have a great time stamping and having fun.

So I guess my suggestion is if you are able to find a demo in your area either by their official website or their blog just fling them an email and ask them what type of events they offer or ask them to hold a workshop for you in your home with your friends. Many of us are demos but also work other jobs aswell and sometimes dont have time to update websites and blogs (I know Ive been guilty of that occasionally) but we all love receiving emails or phone calls from girls (or guys) that want a bit of stampin love!!!

Good luck and hope you find what your looking for especially that SU has just released their new catty for you over in the US!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 03:10 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Wish more would do THAT!
============

Any comments from demos why you wouldn't do more of the above? Isn't it a win-win??
You buy the materials at your discount, so you are generating sales. You charge for the cards, so you are making your money back. Last, some folks will put in orders.
Those who attend leave with cards to use.

I still am baffled why more demos don't do this! I only know one--------wish I knew more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 03:12 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

============

Any comments from demos why you wouldn't do more of the above? Isn't it a win-win??
You buy the materials at your discount, so you are generating sales. You charge for the cards, so you are making your money back. Last, some folks will put in orders.

I still am baffled why more demos don't do this! I only know one--------wish I knew more.
=============

One addl. comments----a "Sr. Demo" does this in my area, but the cards are VERY VERY VERY BASIC. Stamp one thing. Attach to a card front.

I only participated in hers 1x.

A piece of ribbon, a brad, and a bit of layering should be covered in a $1/card Stamp a Stack.

Don't short-change the makers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I hold workshops, classes and clubs. They are posted on my website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 04:52 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I know my two demos have moved to clubs rather than home parties. Makes complete sense, both for the demo and for the stampers. No more uncertainties and stress on either end about "results", and regular crafting time on the calendar. Win-win!
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

When you attend a workshop are you making cards or card fronts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

I do, but I am finding that fewer and fewer people want to have a workshop. I hold clubs where the ladies take turns being the hostess at my house and on their month they can invite guests. My computer hates my website so I don't update as often as I should. Thanks for the reminder Joan I will get to that today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
The demos in this area hold monthly workshops/stamp camps. Rarely do they do a home show...but once in awhile.

Also, we usually have 12 to 15 participate each month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

============

I would say probably the main reason more demos do not offer a lot of these events is the amount of work and expense that goes into it. On the surface it may not seem like a lot of work, but think about it. Designing 10 cards trying to vary colors, stamp sets, techniques, embellishments, etc. Then design a flier or online advertisement, email customers (couple reminders too), wait for registrations and payments. Then cut LOTS of cardstock layers, ribbons, etc. Provide good instructions during the events or even write and print out instructions. Then possibly provide snacks, envelops, fliers on specials, new products, etc. And keep in mind that it may only be $0.75 in material for each card, but a demo can't only buy 10 brads or 10 small pieces of designer paper or some other embellishments for the 10 that sign up. And the leftovers are usable of course, but to keep up with all the new embellishments and stamp sets there is a lot more expense than the actual materials used for each card.

So... there is just a lot of work and expense that goes into it! And a lot of demos love doing it! But many try to have the events and have little response (few sign ups) and decide that they prefer to just buy for themselves and friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

============

Although I'm no longer a demo, I'll address why I stopped doing these types of events. Even with purchasing my materials at a discount and charging for the event, you still had to get a certain number of people to show up in order to cover the cost of your time. My DH would take the kids away for the day - which meant he and them would usually eat out (an expense that wouldn't be there if there were no event). It meant that that I would have to book that day way in advance since everyone around me have as hectic of schedules as I do so you need to get your event on the calendar if you want them to attend at all. Then you actually had to get people to commit to the event - and just saying they were coming isn't enough since with so many people "something else came up" or "I forgot" (even if you remind them) and they never show. So, either you get nobody show up or only a few people which still doesn't cover all the time and expenses unless you charge an arm and a leg for the event. A lot of people don't want to pay for your time or the cost of getting rid of your DH and kids for the day. So you keep the event price reasonable and try to cover the cost of your supplies. A lot of people around me aren't the least bit interested in pre-paying for an event - they want the luxury of changing their minds without losing their money if something better comes up. I got tired of the all the no-shows even from people who went on and on about how excited they were to be coming. Doing an event for one or two people wasn't worth my time.

As to the OP's workshop question, I stopped doing those as a demo, too and started buying for myself because you constantly had the hostess who told her guests "don't worry about buying anything - just come and enjoy the night out and make some projects". By the time all was said and done, the order totals weren't high enough to cover all the time and work involved when people weren't ordering much of anything.

Last edited by geogymnast82; 07-02-2010 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Well--I do workshops---parties at another person's house.
I do stamp-a-stacks, camps and such at my house.

But...I amhorrible about updating my DBWS, I do send out flyers to my existing customers to inform them.

Maybe contact some of thelocal demos and just ask them, maybe they are like me and just slow or totally forget to update it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

I agree 110% with geogymnast. It is a lot more work than people expect, when you add in the time to clean your house and clean up afterwards, all the no-shows, etc. Eating out after an event because I am too exhausted to cook.....

blah.

Clubs are the way to go, if you wannt to stamp, find a demo who offers one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangonsnoopeaView Post
I agree 110% with geogymnast. It is a lot more work than people expect, when you add in the time to clean your house and clean up afterwards, all the no-shows, etc. Eating out after an event because I am too exhausted to cook.....

blah.

Clubs are the way to go, if you wannt to stamp, find a demo who offers one.
============

Your comments are fair (I'm not a demo).

I won't do a "Club" because I don't want to be forced to purchase a certain amount each month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

After reading this I am now wondering about the whole demo way of doing things...now please don't flame me - these are just my thoughts...

I have an order almost ready to go - it will be just over $150 and will probably be the only order I place this year. It includes paper and ink - no stamps.

I'll place the order with a local demo via her site - i've never met her and the last time she had any type of workshop was last November. I could not attend this due to other committments. She's not done any other class since then.

So - she'll get the sales credit for my order for doing what? And if this is the trend why would SU continue with the demo program?
Please understand that I'm not faulting her in any way - this is just how it is my area. And I totally understand the time and effort to hold workshops and not generate enough in sales to cover your costs. I was in a stamp club for awhile but I ended struggling to find something I really wanted - I was just buying the minimum to stay in the club. I would have much rather paid a fee for the class and have it be my choice if I wanted to buy anything. Here is how I figure it - I can be in a club where I have to spend, say, $25 a month on an order and the demo gets what - $5? Or I can pay a $20 or $25 fee for a class, all of which goes to the demo, with no obligation to order.
It seems to me the latter would be better for the demo, and I have no qualms in paying for a class.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My demo has workshops every month - that she doesn't charge for - she just requires that you place at least a $25 order -- which usually ends up around $40 or so what with shipping and tax ---- kind of expensive but her workshops are great and you get to pick out something you want . .. .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

We have a group of us that get together once a month. We all take turns hosting. We love it and so does our demo. An afternoon with good friends, fun projects and CHOCOLATE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

============

I would never do a 15 card for 20 dollar class (or a 10 for 10 dollars either) for a few reasons. One, most likely the demos aren't making money on the class. Or, they are offering cards so simple that my customers wouldn't be interested. And, even if they are covering their supplies there is no way they are covering their time.

These types of classes also rarely generate orders. Customers like them, because they get to make a lot of cards and try out new things without the obligation of purchasing. Unfortunately, a lot of customers also don't feel the need to purchase the stamp set they just made so many cards with (unlike a workshop where they get a taste and want more). These type of classes rarely generate sales.

I have done classes, but we make fewer, more intensive projects, and I charge an amount that actually covers my supplies and time.

Demos also tend to like workshops, because they constantly bring in new customers.

Don't get me wrong, I think classes are a great way to keep regular customers engaged and learning new tips and tricks. I just think more demos should look carefully to make sure they are even breaking even on their class prices.
Reply With Quote Likes