Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Directions on Blogs

If someone gets offended by this, they will just have to be offended.

However, when we are looking at your work, why do people think it is necessary to want everyone to "refer to their blog" when SCS gives us the ability to but the directions on your post?

Alot of us don't have all the time in the world to do that nor do alot of us care about your blogs. It is irritating. I personally don't care if you write on your blog that "Little Johnny caught a frog today" or anything else for that matter.

Personally, I find it inconsiderate. I have a blog but if you look at mine, you'll notice that I haven't written on it in months and months.

With all that being said, think of how many people are "not" enjoying your work because we don't care to read the directions on your blog.

This is my opinion only. And if you don't like it, I'm okay with it.

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsByPia
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 03:18 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with you. I really hate it when they tell you to go to the blog and then you have to search through the archives to find the card you're looking for. I don't check the gallery every day and sometimes a card might be over a week old when I go searching. What irritates me even more is when there is NOTHING! No info about the card, no gallery, nothing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 03:47 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I definitely think the basic recipe should be put on a card uploaded on SCS (all materials used and the technique) however, I ALWAYS include my blog link (and i am sorry if this offends you) because I include a lot more details on my blog (and sometimes stories about frogs!)

This gives people the CHOICE to click or not to click. I do not understand why this offends people. For some of us, our blogs are our own work and our own place to show our work....yes kind of like a personal gallery. Also, It is a place for my friends and family far away to keep up with my stuff and stories.

I, for one, cannot get over how many people get frustrated by this. Just don't click the link if you do not want to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 03:50 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I appreciate that these artists are kind enough to share their work. If they want me to visit their blog for details I am more than happy to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Here is another reason---
I just uploaded a card and included a materials list and a link on my blog where is shows how i created the card (with over 10 pictures on how to color).....I couldn't do that on here.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I always give the basic recipe for the item with a link to the blog post if they want to read the design insight.

The reason that I don't add the design insight to the description is because it contains promotional language that is not appropriate to be posted on SCS without paying for advertising. And I don't have time to rewrite it so I just redirect people if the want to read the design insight.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 03:57 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind if someone has the information all at hand in that URL, it's when you have to search for the information on their blog, that I back out then, I also think my time is available and if they don't have the time to direct a
person right to the exact information, why should we spend the time looking, otherwise, if they have put the work into directing us, I don't mind. The same goes for someone who shares a photo for a challenge, and directs you to their complete gallery instead of the exact card.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 04:08 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok,

so I am sortta new to card making (have had the stuff for years)

When I check out the gallery, I need the info there - right then - that's all there is to it. Done, overwith.

NOW,

Cammie, I usualy don't check out blogs, but wanted to see what you were talking about, and checked you out. OMMMMMMYYYYY

I needed the tutorial on the Prisma pencils!

thank you!! Blogs can be good

I just don't like having to search for stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 04:09 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by krabearkubView Post
I always give the basic recipe for the item with a link to the blog post if they want to read the design insight.

The reason that I don't add the design insight to the description is because it contains promotional language that is not appropriate to be posted on SCS without paying for advertising. And I don't have time to rewrite it so I just redirect people if the want to read the design insight.
This is why you're a class act, and I visit both your gallery, and your blog. Thanks so much for sharing your work! You're gifted not only as an artist, but also as a teacher. Those stampers on SCS who post in a teaching spirit are invaluable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

I agree...and I think the kub has wisdom, talent and maturity waaaay beyond his years. His momma should be very proud ;) I enjoy his blog, he's very professional!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 05:43 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Tammy, I completely agree with you!

I use to love checking out blogs, but lately it seems like everyone under the sun has one. There simply isn't enough hours in the day to visit the gallery, blogs, and leave comments for each project that catches my eye in the gallery.

So I have stopped going to blogs all together. (I even stopped updating my own) I had to make a decision for myself, because I just don't have time to do both.

I would rather spend the time I have... here talking with other stampers, browsing and leaving comments in our wonderful gallery.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
Here is another reason---
I just uploaded a card and included a materials list and a link on my blog where is shows how i created the card (with over 10 pictures on how to color).....I couldn't do that on here.....
I do not blog, but I agree with both of Cammie's posts. I like the basic recipe on the SCS gallery and IF I want to read more about the process I am more than happy to go to their blog, check out this project and maybe others as well. I think that the blog is designed for all the extra information and that the SCS gallery isn't necessarily the place for that.

And as for the time, uploading to SCS and blogging are both a large amount of time dedicated to sharing all of that talent and information - thank you to all the great bloggers out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 05:50 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I didn't mean that I hate it when I am directed to a blog for further instructions, just when there is no info posted at all and just directing me to a blog. I do visit many of the blogs if the card or project intrigues me and I do love Cammie's blog. I visit it all the time. Her projects are great and her instructions are AWESOME. I was just talking about the ones with no basic info at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I like the basic recipe under the gallery post, but I don't mind checking out a blog for more info as long as the link is directly to that card, and I don't have to search the blog for that card. If i click on a blog link and it does not take me directly to that card, I immediately close the blog. I don't have the time to search when I can be looking at more cards in the SCS gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes I post pictures of the inside of the card, or the rough drafts of the card on my blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I definitely think the basic recipe should be put on a card uploaded on SCS (all materials used and the technique) however, I ALWAYS include my blog link (and i am sorry if this offends you) because I include a lot more details on my blog (and sometimes stories about frogs!)

This gives people the CHOICE to click or not to click. I do not understand why this offends people. For some of us, our blogs are our own work and our own place to show our work....yes kind of like a personal gallery. Also, It is a place for my friends and family far away to keep up with my stuff and stories.

I, for one, cannot get over how many people get frustrated by this. Just don't click the link if you do not want to!
that was so well said Cammie! I am with you, I can't believe people find this offensive and frustrating - it's a choice, just don't click!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This topic seems to keep coming up, and it makes a girl start to wonder if they are one of the offenders. I do sometimes include a link to my blog - if there is more info there that someone *might* care about.

I also am sometimes guilty of not listing exact colors of cardstock because I guess I assumed someone would pick a similar color out of their stash (I don't use SU cardstock). I don't usually list basics like type of black ink or brand of brad because people shoud use what they have. I leave technique blank unless it is something specific. I also don't fill in the difficulty rating because - frankly I don't know what to say. It all seems relative to me and what's a 2 for one person might be a 4 for another.

So in the interest of making sure I am not offensive (I showered today, really).... can someone peek at this post and see if the blog link is appropriate? One thing I realized is that I linked to the main blog - not to the post. But it was not some evil, maniplative way of gaining blog readers. I was just in a hurry and copied the wrong link.

March 4 Garden Party by Mom0fgirls at Splitcoaststampers

The blog describes the process I used to go from the picture to the card - I doubt anyone crusing the gallery cares about that.

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom0fgirlsView Post
So in the interest of making sure I am not offensive (I showered today, really).... can someone peek at this post and see if the blog link is appropriate? One thing I realized is that I linked to the main blog - not to the post. But it was not some evil, maniplative way of gaining blog readers. I was just in a hurry and copied the wrong link.

The blog describes the process I used to go from the picture to the card - I doubt anyone crusing the gallery cares about that.
I think your blog link is perfectly appropriate. You have given us the basic recipe for your card and, if I want to get more information, I know where to look for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess one thing I am at fault for (after reading the numerous posts on this subject recently) is that I link to my blog...not always the actual post for the actual card - mainly because I usually do my blog posting around dinner time when I know my projects for the day (usually) are done, so that I include all my projects for the day in one post...I apologize if this bothers people...it's just what works for me...I guess I could go in a relink all my posts, but that would take forever...something for my never ending to do list...

I do however, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS!!! update the recipe here on SCS...if I don't have time to do that when I want to post the card, then I wait and post the card when I do have time to input all that info...

I also would be happy (if anyone sees one of my posts and can't find it on my blog because it may have been posted some time ago) to answer an email or private message with a direct link to a project if someone likes it and doesn't have time to search for it - in fact I would be ecstatic if someone cared enough about a project to request that...so, request away people!!!:-D :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

who's Johnny?:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

You're right Kendra, it is a choice so people who don't want to read it don't. I personally don't care whether or not you believe people find it offensive or frustrating.

As I indicated, it is only my opinion. It certainly doesn't mean I'm right and it certainly doesn't mean I'm wrong. So if anyone else wants to get "snippy," snip somewhere else.

Someone always has to be *****y when someone else "states an opinion." You know what? I have plenty of friends, not taking on any new ones and am only making a statement. So, therefore, if "you don't like it," don't read my opinion.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Hahahaha! I am not really sure who Little Johnny is, I just made him up.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by twink62View Post
You're right Kendra, it is a choice so people who don't want to read it don't. I personally don't care whether or not you believe people find it offensive or frustrating.

As I indicated, it is only my opinion. It certainly doesn't mean I'm right and it certainly doesn't mean I'm wrong. So if anyone else wants to get "snippy," snip somewhere else.

Someone always has to be *****y when someone else "states an opinion." You know what? I have plenty of friends, not taking on any new ones and am only making a statement. So, therefore, if "you don't like it," don't read my opinion.
Tammy,

I did not intend for my response to sound snippy. Unfortunately this subject has been brought up time and time again and some still upload without including materials lists. I think that is probably not going to ever change for some.

I think that, to me, it felt that you were attacking those of us who have blogs and who link our blogs in our descriptions. Yes, a basic materials/details should be uploaded on SCS and wish everyone would do that but I do think most do.

You have every right to state your opinion and I am sorry if you took offense to my response. I merely wanted to explain why I add my link.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

if you didn't care to begin with you wouldn't have started this thread. and it definitely is the pot calling the kettle black IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

If someone gets offended by this, they will just have to be offended.

However, when we are looking at your work, why do people think it is necessary to want everyone to "refer to their blog" when SCS gives us the ability to but the directions on your post?

Alot of us don't have all the time in the world to do that nor do alot of us care about your blogs. It is irritating. I personally don't care if you write on your blog that "Little Johnny caught a frog today" or anything else for that matter.

Personally, I find it inconsiderate. I have a blog but if you look at mine, you'll notice that I haven't written on it in months and months.

With all that being said, think of how many people are "not" enjoying your work because we don't care to read the directions on your blog.

This is my opinion only. And if you don't like it, I'm okay with it.
I thought you said if we didn't like your opinion you were okay with it? Why does it bother you so. If you like the card and want the ingredients/instructions so that you may CASE someone elses work then I guess you will have to research it on their blog. I always list the ingredients but if I post a 3-D object here on SCS I notice that it does not get the views or comments that a card does therefore I provide the link to my blog where an individual can see all the pics in one post and not keep flipping back and forth. On another note, patience is a virtue and not everything happens instantly. Maybe people link you to their blog and not the exact card because they don't know how to. HMMMMM!! A little understanding would be nice and like Cammie said don't click on the link if you don't want to!!!!!JMHO!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom0fgirlsView Post
This topic seems to keep coming up, and it makes a girl start to wonder if they are one of the offenders. I do sometimes include a link to my blog - if there is more info there that someone *might* care about.

I also am sometimes guilty of not listing exact colors of cardstock because I guess I assumed someone would pick a similar color out of their stash (I don't use SU cardstock). I don't usually list basics like type of black ink or brand of brad because people shoud use what they have. I leave technique blank unless it is something specific. I also don't fill in the difficulty rating because - frankly I don't know what to say. It all seems relative to me and what's a 2 for one person might be a 4 for another.

I totally agree - I don't always put the paper in and stuff because I use what I have and it may not be what you have and i'm assuming that no one wants to really make the exact thing - they want to make their interpretation of it. If someone asks what I specifically used and I don't have it listed I always post it and pm them. I don't have a stampin blog, but I don't mind being directed to them - I've learned alot on blogs.

I guess I just figure that people are being so sweet sharing their ideas on here and if they put some of the details on their blog it's no big deal. I guess the alternative is that they could just put it on their blog, but I'm glad if they take a moment to put the picture here b/c we have an index by stamp set/type of project and I try to acknowledge the things I look at that I like with comments (not just favoriting to use for my own purposes later).

I'm so thankful for all the people on here who share their creativity and I hope no one gets offended by this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I agree with all those who think that the basic details should be on SCS. I am also happy that bloggers put their link in with the details. I have learnt some awesome techniques, seen great video instruction and just got some terrific ideas from blogs. The only way I have had access to this wonderful stuff is because these artists have put their link somewhere in their instructions. That being said, I also hate a blog only/no details scenario.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampencamperView Post
I don't mind if someone has the information all at hand in that URL, it's when you have to search for the information on their blog, that I back out then, I also think my time is available and if they don't have the time to direct a
person right to the exact information, why should we spend the time looking, otherwise, if they have put the work into directing us, I don't mind. The same goes for someone who shares a photo for a challenge, and directs you to their complete gallery instead of the exact card.
I am with you - if they include basic materials here on SCS and then details on their blog I am okay with that IF AND ONLY IF they include the actual link to THAT SPECIFIC card. If I'm interested, I guarantee I will click that - and will probably look around at other stuff on there too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

So well said, you put into words my thought exactly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Cammie, you did not offend me. Like I said, everyone is entitled to an opinion and I'm all for that. Reading what someone has "typed" can always easily be misinterpreted.

I do love looking at people's work but I don't enjoy going all over creation to see what they have created. If I love it enough, I do go directly to the blog when someone has a link if I am that interested in it. I always leave feedback on every single thing that I look at because I think it is a nice thing.

But you did not offend me and I did not mean to offend you if I did. I am now going to HAVE to read your blog just because I wonder what one would have to say about frogs : )

And to Kendra, sorry, but I don't really care what you have to say, now or ever for that matter.

Keep blogging ladies! If you have done something really great and have posted it, you will still get feedback no matter where you post it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #32  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
I didn't mean that I hate it when I am directed to a blog for further instructions, just when there is no info posted at all and just directing me to a blog. I do visit many of the blogs if the card or project intrigues me and I do love Cammie's blog. I visit it all the time. Her projects are great and her instructions are AWESOME. I was just talking about the ones with no basic info at all.
Thank YOU--that so made my day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Default As a newbie....

I love the links to the blogs! I do think the basic recipe should be included here in the gallery with the photo for those who love the card and want to know the components at a glance, but I love to go the blogs and see more details and views of the process and parts. This, of course, has cost me a fortune, because I have to hurry and buy every tool I see being used!

I love, love, love Cammie's blog and many, many more of them. My problem is that I have bookmarked so many blogs there is no way I can keep track of the ones I've checked on a given day and it seems the feedblitz notifications are always a day behind. ETA: Just reading this thread itself has directed me to Sherrie's blog... now officially bookmarked... great blog, too!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Thank YOU--that so made my day!
You are very welcome! Thank you for your wonderful blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

I totally appreciate it when people put a link to their blog when they upload a card to the gallery! If I see a card I love then I definitely like to check out the blog of that card maker. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by csroyalView Post
I love, love, love Cammie's blog and many, many more of them. My problem is that I have bookmarked so many blogs there is no way I can keep track of the ones I've checked on a given day and it seems the feedblitz notifications are always a day behind. ETA: Just reading this thread itself has directed me to Sherrie's blog... now officially bookmarked... great blog, too!

Cindy
Cindy, I love using Google Reader to keep track of the dozens (ok hundreds) of blogs I look at. You just login and it shows you only the blogs that have new posts. It's so handy!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmaykView Post
Cindy, I love using Google Reader to keep track of the dozens (ok hundreds) of blogs I look at. You just login and it shows you only the blogs that have new posts. It's so handy!! :mrgreen:

I'll have to give that a try.. right now I just have all the links on my igoogle page and it takes quite a bit for igoogle to update the page and load. I wasn't sure if the reader had a number of blogs limit... that'll be my project this evening.

Thanks
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmaykView Post
I'm going to have to try that too - thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes