Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Matboard Maniac

Post Difference btwn Gamsol and Mineral Spirits?

I kept reading different opinions on those 2 products and figured I'd turn to the PRO on SCS with those 2 items.

What are the difference between gamsol and mineral spirits?

Can they be used with Stampin' Up's WCC, Watercolor pencils, Metallic pencils or pure pencils?

Or are they strictly for primacolors pencils only?

Last of all -- where's good place to buy them on line. Anything else that needs to come with those?
www.jensmessystudio.com
www.facebook.com/jensmessystudio
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Mad Swapper

gamsol is odourless mineral spirits. You can buy it (perhaps by a different name) at your local art supply store. It costs about $2.50-3.00. I use it with all my colour pencils, crayola and prisma. I don't think it will work with watercolour pencils because it reacts with the wax in the regular pencils and there is no wax in watercolour pencils.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04View Post
gamsol is odourless mineral spirits. You can buy it (perhaps by a different name) at your local art supply store. It costs about $2.50-3.00. I use it with all my colour pencils, crayola and prisma. I don't think it will work with watercolour pencils because it reacts with the wax in the regular pencils and there is no wax in watercolour pencils.
Yep, that's it. They are basically the same, the Gamsol is a name brand (like the difference between Dr. Pepper and the Safeway brand "Dr.Skipper" LOL, cracks me up!) Anyway.... I have not done a side by side comparison but the odorless mineral spirits (Mona Lisa brand) seems to work really well.

You do not want to use it with watercolor pencils, they are made just for water to dissolve the color. You can use any colored pencil but the Prisma color pencils have a more intense amount of color pigment and create a brighter result. I tried it with my kids Crayola pencils, it works, but the colors are not very bright. You can buy a couple of the Prisma's individually at Michael's (art section) to try it out. That's what I did, then I found a coupon and went for a set!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

I would not buy hardware grade....

http://www.gamblincolors.com/newslet...ralSpirits.pdf

I get my Gamsol from Dick Blick by the quart