Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Did you shop for a Demo??

Did you shop for a demo, or just use one that you met at a workshop? Is it proper to shop for a different demo? Say you want one that has more workshops, or is closer to your home, or is single with no kids( if you are too), is it rude to change? Is it possible or acceptable to use more than one? ok that is enough questions for now. THANKS!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2005, 04:58 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Yes, and it wasn't all that easy to find a good one. And, I think it is worth checking around. NOTE TO DEMOS: If you have stamp camps and host events you'll get more business!

Here's what happened. I got a catalogue from someone who didn't live nearby and went on line to find a demo. Found one, who never had any events, or discounts, etc. Then went on line and again went through about 5 who never offered anything except the ability to order from them. I was really looking for someone who would hold stamp camps, teach me, etc. and I was willing to spend!!

I did find a demo who offered stamp camps, etc. but she quit to have a baby. Another one was pretty good, but she moved! Eventually, through another stamping board, I traded cards with someone and she wrote to me that she would provide me with her 20% off discount just to help her stay in business. Isn't that sweet? She lives on the other side of the country and does nada for me except the wonderful discount. How can I pass THAT up??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I did - sort of-

There is only one demo in my area so for a long while I thought I was stuck with her. She does very little in the way of giving out information and while she did hold occasional stamp camps I got sick of paying $15-$20- yes $20 for a bunch of elementary projects that I really did not like. She rarely offered specials or discount and yes, considering the volume of business we gave her, we thought something like an occasional shipping freebie would have gone a long way. A friend of mine feels the same and now orders very little from her. This demo was really just an order taker and we've decided to put our craft money elsewhere. I happened on to another demo via the internet and now I place my orders through her. Although she is long distance to me, she has given me waaay more information and help than the first demonstartor ever did.

The kicker is that between me and the above mentioned friend we spend $750 to $1000 per month on stamp supplies. With a little effort on her part, that business could have belonged to our local demonstartor.

You can certaintly demo shop and you should.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2005, 06:55 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Default Lots to offer....

I live in Co.... I'm a SU demo...The person that I signed up under was all about stampin' at first and then she backed out... It made me sad because thats why I signed,to stamp with people........ .... Happy Stampin'..... Amy

*edited to comply with SUs no solicitation
camsmom

Last edited by camsmom; 06-20-2005 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2005, 08:29 PM   #5  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Sally, do you mean just for shopping or to sign up under? The only thing I was going to mention is that once you sign up, you are stuck with that demo as your upline unless you go inactive for six months.

But for shopping? Sure, go for the best and closest and nicest.

I signed up to be a hobby demo. My demo, now upline, is an acquaintance, and seemed to be such a cheapskate. She wasn't forthcoming about SU! specials, I took to checking the SU! website for stuff on my own. She only charge $5 for her monthly workshop but we made 4 card FRONTS and that was it. Pretty simple stuff. A friend and I tried to get her to do something like a hostess club where we'd pool our orders for hostess sets, because as it was she wouldn't give anyone any benefits unless they spent $150 on their own. But she still resisted. Another friend asked if we could do whole cards, we'd pay more. Still doesn't happen. I gave up going to the workshops a year ago, but I still meet my buddies for lunch. We didn't want to create a rift, and neither my friend nor I were interested in the business of being a demo, but she and I committed to meeting the minimums, flipped a coin, and I'm the demo. (I share my discount with her.) Now I do have a couple of other friends that sometimes order a little from me. Oh - the friend that is committed with me? She has money coming out her ears. I have to say, my upline made a big mistake losing her business. I don't care about not getting her instant income, my sales are great from just her!!!!!!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2005, 08:39 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the great replys so far. To clarify, I didn't mean to sign up under, I just ment to buy from and to attend her workshops ect. Happy Stamping
Sally
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2005, 09:18 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I was unhappy with my demo (who I am grateful to for getting me into stamping in the FIRST place) -- she became unreliable. At first, I accepted the excuse that Stampinup was super busy and so everything was on back order. But after awhile, that got old. It would take sometimes a MONTH to get my stuff. She even cancelled a party that I had booked days before it was supposed to happen. Of course -- she had good excuses -- she was working towards her masters and had two jobs besides Stampinup. In any case, I went on the SU website, plunked in my zipcode, and received the emails of several demos. I emailed all and waited for replies. Eventually I found my new demo, who I totally LOVE! She's great!

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2005, 02:33 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too think it is OK to shop for a demo - just like you have your favorite stores. I had shows for 3 different demos before I became one myself. Each of the 3 were very different. One was great at the creativity, one was just in it for the hobby but, did have some good ideas, and the other was in it for a business, had camps, monthly newsletter, etc.

When I decided to sign up, I interviewed each of them and chose who to mentor me and model my business after - can you guess which one I chose?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2005, 02:45 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was invited to a party many years ago (I had never heard of SU before then.) and the demo was great. I think I was very lucky. She has great ideas and a great personality to go along with it. I didn't have to look any further.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2005, 03:37 AM   #10  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,078 Likes on 858 Posts
Smile

I actually found my current demo through SU. I wasn't satisfied with the one that was running our Stamp Camp and besides she was 1/2 hour away. SU gave me the names, phone nos., and e-mail addresses for 5 ladies. I e-mailed all of them asking about what they did, whether they had a stamp camp, where they lived, etc. I kind of interviewed them. I attended a couple make n takes with 2 of them, but one of them was doing a king of stamp camp, and she was able to get a few more people together so we started our stamping group. It's been almost a year and I really like our demo. She has great ideas each month when we get together and has offered deals and discounts for us. I'm looking forward now to another year with her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2005, 06:03 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Where r u ladies for me?

LOL. I must say I wish that you ladies that are so hungry for a demo to hold camps etc. lived around me! I have tried for years to get camps etc going and have not had one taker. I put up flyers everywhere and NADA, NOTHING, ZIP. I even give sales and great discounts, but unfortunatly no takers :( I ended up cancelling my demo website. Couldn't see spending the money and time on it anymore. Now I just use my cousin to help me make my minimums. :(

I was (still am, just not so ready to "put it out there" and get hurt again) very excited to share what I am learning with people! I want to STAMP baby!! Why oh why can't I find a bunch of ladies willing to "do it with me"?

Thank You for starting this thread. It is great info for us demo's And good luck with your "shopping"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2005, 08:40 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

The first demo I had I met at a workshop. She had some family issues, I heard, and fell off the face of the earth. I loved her because she did stamp camps, which my friends & I love. The next demo I'd met doesn't like stamp camps and really only wants to do catalog orders, so we didn't mix well. My new demo, I met in a round about way. I do some volunteering with Citizen Corps and met her husband at one of our meetings as he was giving one of her cards to our president. Beautiful work! I told him I loved SU and was looking for a new demo. He said "Great" and left it at that. She was on him, hot and heavy, because he didn't get my name or give me her name. Luckily, I'm the secretary of the Citizen Corps, here, so I was pretty easy to track down. So, now I have a demo and we work great together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Yes, I guess I did. I used the SU! demo locator and sent emails to all of the posted names for my area. I had some that never responded, one that responded and told me she was a hobby demo and didn't do workshops or stamp camps, and 3 that did. As a beginner, I really wanted someone to help me with techniques!! Out of the three, 2 I met in person and the 3rd one I told her I was thankful she responded but I had choosen another demo. (In all actuality, she was just to pushy for my liking, she insisted we got together by me hosting a party!) They all knew upfront (in my first email) that my only interest was a hobby demo, for me, myself and I.....LOL But, I also needed some 'lessons'...lol

As a result, that demo is now my upline. I'm still a hobby demo and she's just fine with that!! I do hear from her almost daily and she has a get together for all her demo's monthly. She's given me private lessons and has taught me sooo much. So, to answer one of your questions...Yes, I shopped and I'm sooooo glad I did!!

Sorry, I don't have any answers for your other questions.

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started buying from one demo who was friends with my sister. She was SUPER nice, but she didn't let the people at the party do anything! We all sat around in a circle and watched HER make things! At first, I thought this was how it was supposed to be, but then I got invited to a show with a different demo and I was floored to find out that she actually let everyone make cards!

I made the switch, and couldn't be happier with my current demo. She's the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Default Shopping for a demo

I certainly shopped for a different demo. The first one was secretive about techniques...and said "if you want to know how to do that you can come to another stamp camp" at her house at a $20 cost and I did not like most of the things we did. I came home and looked on the Internet on how to do the technique and later found two other demos that we all like. Do NOT stick with someone who is not helpful, fun willing to share ideas, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2005, 01:21 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Default I say go for it

I think that as the paying customer you have every right to find a demo that meshes well with you--some people might say that ordering stamps from someone is just a business transaction, but to others it is a relationship too.
I have met some really nice folks through my Stampin' Up! business and I feel like I'm there to keep them happy. If I had a customer who wanted lots of stamp camps and I wasn't able to offer them (while my hubby was in school I could not hold many events as we lived in a 1,000 sq ft home with no living room area) I would not have been offended.
Some of my customers are local, many are email, and I treat them well with discounts and answer all their questions cheerfully (because I enjoy doing my job) and if I don't know an answer I will find it out.
I don't have oodles and oodles of customers but I'd like to think that the ones I do have have stuck with me because they like my customer service and I'm sure my specials/perks didn't hurt either LOL but most of all I'm glad they picked me and I would encourage everyone out there to find someone they clicked with, whether it was for their personality, their stamping talent/classes, their location, their discounts or whatever on earth it is that YOU the customer wanted.
If you can find a local demonstrator who fits your needs that is definitely the best thing in the world and I wish you the best of luck!
Erica
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

When I read this I had to laugh....

I went through 2 demo's until I found the one I liked (I have to admit... I'm picky) The first 2 didn't do any parties, clubs, workshops, anything! My demo now is just an awesome lady, I'm going on my second year with Debbie and I couldn't be any happier. I would say ~ shop around until you find a demo that meets your needs, you'll be much happier that you did!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

My friend invited me to a SU 'party' because there was a couple 'empty' spots... I had barely heard of SU before, but had fun and my Demo is *WAY* too sweet!! We got along well right away, she has a wonderful sense of humor and goes out of her way for me! I appreciate her and will definitely stick with her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2005, 04:26 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

No I didn't shop around.
I was (still am) friends with a woman who happens to be a demo. She invited a bunch of us to see what it was about. I had never heard of stamping, but I knew I didn't like scrapbooking. Needless to say I loved it. She's primarily my friend, then my demo.

I don't see what's wrong with finding a demo who does things that cater to what you want/need. My demo and I have a bunch of kids, husbands with the same career, we even live just 2 streets away from each other. I can see how it helps to have a demo with similarities to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2005, 05:20 AM   #20  
luvmystamps3

I found mine on the SU website! She was great but not doing very much and I was not always able to get in touch with her due to her schedule, So I Became a DEMO myself! Heck with the discount, and all the other perks why NOT! I am so glad I did. Still learning, but loving it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2005, 06:54 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Yes, you have every right to shop around for a demonstrator that meets your needs. YOU are the customer. You can take your money wherever you want. I'm sure you will be able to find someone who offers the kinds of things you are interested in. Good luck!

Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes