Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #41
Dirty Dozen Alumni

As a hobby demonstrator, It doesn't matter to me that sets retire quickly, but as someone who tries to get work published----it matters.

I have cut back on purchasing SU stamps A LOT because many magazines do NOT want stamps used from sets that are no longer available. Since many pub calls are for issues that can be as far as a year in advance--it has caused me to find stamps elsewhere.

If I was an active demonstrator, though, it would greatly frustrate me as well.

Just my 2 cents!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #42
Mad Swapper

I like two catalogs per year. A year is too long to wait! The only thing that kept me going was the minis. I do think I may be spending a little less, only because I have so many sets now, plus things from other companies, that most things look similar to something I already have.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

Honestly, I just don't buy SU sets much at all anymore....I just buy the paper. I have been stamping for a long time, and they just aren't offering anything new.

I think the two catalogs make it harder for the demos to keep up with the sets that are offered, and with more retiring each year...it is just going to make it hard on them to keep current. I think they should get a discount on the sets they buy. (I am not a demo BTW) Or a much larger one than they are getting.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #44
Sassy Shani

<---thinks Joan needs to get off that darn fence and sign up to be a demo again.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #45
Die Cut Diva

My habits have changed to some degree, but not because there are two catties a year. I just didn't find that many stamp sets in the fall/winter catty that appealed to me - too many cutesy cartoonish sets, and the double-lined sets and the sets that look as if they were designed by my 6-year-old granddaughter didn't appeal to me at all. I bought more supplies this time around, although I did find a few sets to buy. I am not a demo, so the retirement list isn't that important to me, although if a set I had on my wish list is on the retirement list, I will order it (luckily, only Aida Cloth this time). I like the idea of two catties a year and am anxious to see the new one. Anyone know when it will be available?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #46
Mad Swapper

My buying habits changed, both due to circumstance and the switch to two catalogs.

Since I am a customer only, I don't really care what retires, unless I wanted it and didn't get it; but that's why the BST and ebay exist, right?

My demo recently dropped her clubs (due to a change in her personal circumstances), so I am no longer obligated to a monthly purchase. Since that is so, I plan (and have already done) to do a personal show (no workshop, just a REALLY big order) twice a year, once for each catalog. She also opens it up to a catalog show. That helps her keep her minimums (at least for that quarter), and I can save up for that really big order, which is always more fun to open when the UPS guy delivers it!

HEATHER
Old 12-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #47
Die Cut Diva

I agree with the comment that many of the stamp sets are to childlike and cartoonish. I look for more traditional, timeless stamps that are good for eternity.

I go to a SU class each month (short of the months my Demonstrator takes off). We are not obligated to purchase any particular $$ amount at each class or month. I don't understand those of you that say you need to purchase a particular quota each month. I'm only going to buy what I want and when I want.

Also, since I've really gotten into knowing the different craft manufacturers, I've found that many of the SU stuff is not exclusive to them. Many of the items are sold under other names and many times cheaper. For instance the Stamp-a-majig. SU only changed the color and called it theirs. Crop-a-dile is cheaper and has more extras than what SU sells.

I have one more comment about the class each month. Do most Demonstrators actually demo various products at those meetings or do they just show you what cards you are to make and put out the products to use? I would rather spend the time having various products demonstrated which may interest me more into purchasing them. I can make my cards at home on my own. I also take my card making quite a bit further than just pasting paper on top of other paper. I use rubber stamping, embossing and my own die cuts on nearly every card I make in some fashion. Plain stamping and color/print paper alone is too boring.

Just my comments.

Patti
Old 12-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #48
Pearl-ExPert

I love the two catalog a year format. I figure the more options the better.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I agree with the comment that many of the stamp sets are to childlike and cartoonish. I look for more traditional, timeless stamps that are good for eternity.

I go to a SU class each month (short of the months my Demonstrator takes off). We are not obligated to purchase any particular $$ amount at each class or month. I don't understand those of you that say you need to purchase a particular quota each month. I'm only going to buy what I want and when I want.

Also, since I've really gotten into knowing the different craft manufacturers, I've found that many of the SU stuff is not exclusive to them. Many of the items are sold under other names and many times cheaper. For instance the Stamp-a-majig. SU only changed the color and called it theirs. Crop-a-dile is cheaper and has more extras than what SU sells.

I have one more comment about the class each month. Do most Demonstrators actually demo various products at those meetings or do they just show you what cards you are to make and put out the products to use? I would rather spend the time having various products demonstrated which may interest me more into purchasing them. I can make my cards at home on my own. I also take my card making quite a bit further than just pasting paper on top of other paper. I use rubber stamping, embossing and my own die cuts on nearly every card I make in some fashion. Plain stamping and color/print paper alone is too boring.

Just my comments.

Patti
Those demos are refering to clubs where they require minimums so that each month a member gets to be hostess and knows ahead of time that she will get at least the minimum hostess rewards.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #50
Die Cut Diva

ctab.......Thank you for the explanation. Obviously, what I go to is very different. It's called a Card Class. But of course, we are given an order form at the start.

Thanks! Patti
Old 12-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #51
Insane Embellisher

I also was disappointed in the current catty, I only bought 1 stamp set. I am in a stamp club and every month I bought paper/ink/embellies. I am HOPING this new catalog is better. I just am not into the doodle type stamps. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #52
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

It seems that Demonstrators can choose to charge what ever they want for the catalogs distributed to customers. I pay $10 per catalog which I feel is high priced for only 6 months of use. If the new catalog also carries much of the same stuff, then it is even more over priced per catalog.

Unless I'm the oddball, I think most people order/purchase from several companies/businesses/store fronts each year. I don't purchase only from one source for my stamping needs.

Patti
The retail price of the catalog is $9.95, as printed on the back cover. Some demonstrators choose to discount this price or to give away catalogs, but that does not diminish the retail price of the catalog. This price is far less than some single issues of magazines out on the market which do not provide as many samples of different color, layout and stamp combinations.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #53
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm wondering how this January catalog will play out. January is usually a slow sales time due to being right after Christmas and everyone has bills to pay. Plus someone wanting to buy a person new SU stuff for a gift for the holidays is out of luck. Personally I have bought everything I wanted prior to Nov/Dec. so there is nothing on my list. With the new January catalog there will be things I would love to have but is the money there to purchase? I just think it is a strange business decision.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #54
Die Cut Diva

I definitely have bought less. And yes I am waiting to see what the next catty has before buying anything else. I got a gift certificate for my birthday so I did end up purchasing one of the retiring sets. Otherwise I would not have bothered. Because a new catty seems just around the corner, now, I always say to myself that if I'm not absolutely certain about what I want to purchase I will wait and see what comes out next. Also it does concern me a little what will be retired. Not being a demo though it is not such a big deal.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #55
Mad Swapper

I will wait for the new catty and go with my gut feeling!!!
I did not purchase as much from the first catty. Mainly because the newer sets and prices didn't appeal to me That said, I did buy the new colours including the ribbon. I bought one complete set a month.
What I don't appreciate is the fact the retirement list comes in December. Poor timing as far as I'm concerned. As Niki said....it seems to be a stranage business decision.
Otherwise, I'm still a SU fan.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #56
Mad Swapper

This pricing assumes that the demo buys the catalogs by the box on a supply order. Some of us don't have the customer-base to justify doing this -- and the catalogs then cost us the regular retail price (less our 20% discount). That said, I pick up the cost of a new catalog for my good customers -- I include it in their first order of the cataog period. If they want one shipped direct to them before placing a regular order, they pay the extra shipping. If they want more than one copy for some reason, they pay full boat for the second one. My limited customer-base has found this to be a reasonable policy -- at least that's what they tell me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv my dollyView Post
Demo cost is about $4.50 depending on what your tax rate is. Yes, we have to purchase these. I give most of mine out for free.

Sue
Old 12-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #57
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimthrView Post
Diane, I am curious about the 4-5 sets for a 6 month period. I go to a monthly 10 club. While there she introduces us to 4-5 new sets each time to make our 5 projects. Each month is is a new 4-5 in an attempt to get us to fall and love and order them. If I came every month for 6 months to the same 4-5 sets there is no way I would keep paying for 10 club. I really feel very sorry for my demo. To keep things going she has to keep producing trendy things. She had a baby and for a couple of months repeated the use of some sets and her sales were really down on those nights. I almost always buy ONLY what I have actually tried. She also buys lots of punches, tools, fancy papers, etc.
It sounds like either your situation is unusual or else I'm just extremely lucky. I based my remarks on what my customers do. They have absolutely no qualms about ordering things out of the catalog that they haven't tried and they do not mind me using the same sets for different projects or different techniques. Most of them purchase sets for their own projects and just use the techniques I show them, rather than copying the projects I design.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #58
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malinda_CView Post
I participate in a monthly stamp club, so have continued to buy - but bought more of the papers and accessories - this catalog did not seem to hold as much appeal.
December is certainly not a very good month for a retired list to come out. IMO - to much going out in other areas. Will definately be very choosey about what I purchase from the list.
Ditto!! Not buying less, just buying less stamps.

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Old 12-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #59
Mad Swapper

You took the words right out of my mouth! I understand what Joan is getting at -- but IMHO it's way too early in this new system to be asking this question. I've bought far fewer stamp sets over the past couple of years, but that's mainly because I already have a hefty supply of stamps, and I simply haven't found many lately that appealed to me.

As a hobby demo, I don't do workshops or camps and buy primarily for myself -- so the quick-retirement issue doesn't apply to me. I can certainly empathize with the demos for whom it *does* apply, and I know I'd be viewing things differently if I were struggling to build a business. That said, I did manage to spend quite a bit on the new papers and accessories over the past six months, and I'm in *no* danger of going into Pending next month! Depending on what's in the new catalog, I may be singing an entirely different song come April -- but I'll reserve judgment until then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaCView Post
It's probably going to take a couple of rotations of the new system to get a real feel for if it is really the two catalog system or the sets offered before any of us know for sure how it has affected our spending.... I would tend to think based on my customer base it is the artwork, not the timeframe that was the issue this time around....

Sue
Old 12-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #60
Mad Swapper

Given that it takes only a few minutes to place an order, I think I'd be looking for a new demo!

Quote:

My Demonstrator has put the cut off date that she will place orders. She takes a break from Thanksgiving till after New Years.

Patti

Sue
Old 12-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #61
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, what a thread. I don't pay for my catty, and I really appreciate that but I also have ordered from my demo and have sent her on many cruises!!! I haven't decided on the 2 catty idea yet - I was so disappointed in the last catty that I can't wait for a new one, but I also understand about not getting everything ordered in 6 months like some of you are talking about. As for me, I have all I want from this catty and looking forward to the new one. I only hope they come out with some new stamp ideas this time - I have been so disappointed in the Christmas stamps the last couple of years. Cost is also getting to be a factor in everything. I wish you could by some of the stamp separately instead of a set. (Only my 2 cents worth)
Old 12-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #62
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by scpdView Post
This pricing assumes that the demo buys the catalogs by the box on a supply order. Some of us don't have the customer-base to justify doing this -- and the catalogs then cost us the regular retail price (less our 20% discount).
Too true! I had an out-of-town customer buy a catalog at $9.95 and it cost me $14.05 to purchase and mail it to her!
SCS Fan Club Member #68691
http://gaylestamps.stampinup.net
Old 12-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #63
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I like the idea of 2 catalogues per year. So sets get discontinued. They would anyway at the one year mark. I love the option now of being able to see NEW sets every 6 months. Ones that are up-to-date, and perhaps there'll be new accessories and tools in each catty. A local stamp store doesn't change over their stock (at least mine doesn't) all that often. If anything, it's about the same as this. I'm a demo that doesn't care about retiring sets. I buy what I love, just like a customer would!

Quote:

After reading all your posts, I now realize that I paid $10 about 4 months ago for a SU catalog that I have yet to purchase from. Now you're telling me that it is no good... I don't like the 2 catalogs per year. Last year I did purchase over $600 worth of items. Thus far with the new 6 month catalog, I have purchased nothing but spent $10 for the catalog which now is out of date. Also why can't we purchase items till the end of the year? I was given a cut off date of 11/27/07 for the current catalog.

Patti
The cut off date for ordering out of the current date is not until Jan 1, 2008, so you still have some time!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #64
Gabfest Goddess

The change to two catelogs has definitely affected my purchasing habits. In fact, I have not bought anything since the June retirement list. Thankfully, there is only one set on the new retiring list that I really want, but it means coming up with the money in the midst of Christmas preparations and, as it is one of the pricier sets, throwing my budget completely out of whack.

I also agree with those who said there were too many cartoonish or cutesy sets in the current catelog. These do not appeal to me, either. I hope the new catelog has better offerings!

The other problem with so many sets retiring this past year is that, of the 150+ SU sets I own, only ten are still current. And before anyone suggests I order new stuff, I'm not made of money, and a great many reasons why becoming a demo myself is out of the question.

Heather

Last edited by WordTrix; 12-08-2007 at 10:52 PM..
Old 12-08-2007, 11:12 PM   #65
Mad Swapper

I buy less just because they might retire and as a demo I need to buy more for sure at the 6 mo mark. Granted I buy each month anyway since back in the days before demoing, I feel like I need to be more careful now there are two catalogs.

I feel bad for my customer too. Before then can spend $10 on a year's catalog. Now it's $20. I always sell the cattys for $5. They need it to buy from me and plus, some just don't like to only look online.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Old 12-09-2007, 06:59 AM   #66
Matboard Maniac

Default 2 catties

I like having two catalogs because you get to see twice as many ideas! I also like the excitement created by 2 retirement lists, and 2 new catties per year. I'm not a demo, so it doesn't matter to me if they are retired or not, I just buy what I like and what I will use. I have probably bought more with this system because I want to buy them before they are retired. I have never had to pay for a catalog, so that's not a factor for me. My previous demo in WV gave them away for free with a $75 order, and my new demo in NC gives them away to club members because we will be purchasing $25 worth of product each month.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #67
Stazon Splitcoast

I definitely bought less this time around (I'm not a demo) but my reasons for doing so have nothing to do with the new system at SU. After being a SAHM for the last nearly 10 years, I've gone back to work part time (thus less time to stamp) and whatever extra money I have had to go towards new clothes to wear to work.

Another reason I bought less from this catalog is that I didn't like any of the Christmas sets. Usually my fall purchases center around my Christmas cards, but this year I had to look elsewhere. I have also been having trouble finding sets I like from SU, but I blame that on the fact that I have so much already!

So as far as the new catalog system is concerned, I'm not sure how it will affect me as there are too many other things going on in my life right now. My initial opinion is that I don't like it, because it gives me less time to buy some things. I like having a whole year to spread my purchases out, and I always felt that the mini catalogs gave me enough new stuff to look at throughout the year. But then again, I'm not always very receptive to change, KWIM?
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Old 12-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #68
Insane Embellisher

I think that there is a huge misconception out there that I would like to correct. Everyone keeps saying that with 2 catalogs you have less time to buy things and that isn't necessarily true. While there is no guarantee that the stamp sets will last more than 6 months, chances are pretty good that they will still be available when the new catalog comes out. SU doesn't retire the whole catalog. Most things that retire have been in the catalog at least a year. As for me, I think that 2 catalogs a year are great and I am a demo. People usually start asking me in January or Feburary when the new catalog is coming out and this year we get a whole new catty in Jan! I love it!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #69
Insane Embellisher

I am a hobby demo, but I'm looking forward to going to 2 cattys per year. It's exciting to see what is new in each offering and then to see everyones creations. This will enable Stampin Up to stay on top of trends and hopefully get others excited about stamping. I buy what I love, but tire of the catalog after about 9 months, so I think I will be buying more in the long run.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #70
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBakerView Post
I think that there is a huge misconception out there that I would like to correct. Everyone keeps saying that with 2 catalogs you have less time to buy things and that isn't necessarily true. While there is no guarantee that the stamp sets will last more than 6 months, chances are pretty good that they will still be available when the new catalog comes out. SU doesn't retire the whole catalog. Most things that retire have been in the catalog at least a year. As for me, I think that 2 catalogs a year are great and I am a demo. People usually start asking me in January or Feburary when the new catalog is coming out and this year we get a whole new catty in Jan! I love it!
Keep in mind we haven't seen the retiring accessories list yet. Based on the preview brochure and the paper promo we just had, I can almost guarantee that we'll be losing all the designer papers currently in the catalog (well, most anyway). So yeah, I can see where the "urgency" is and the sense that 6 months isn't long enough to get everything you need if you purchase things other than stamp sets. (Especially if you're on a strict stamping budget)

We also don't know if the ribbon originals are going away either. So even though the majority of the sets currently listed in the catty are staying, there is a sense that there isn't enough time to purchase all the accessories in the catty....

Just my observation....
Old 12-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #71
Kookie Creator

I am not an SU demo, just a customer. I've kind of taken a wait and see attitude as far as deciding whether or not I like the new catalog system. I can tell you that my ordering habits have changed though. I order way less frequently now than I did before, but my orders are larger, usually at least $150. I am holding off on making another order until the new catalog comes out in January. I miss the mini catalogs. I miss having something new to look forward to every three months. This year's holiday mini didn't really do anything for me, so I didn't order from it.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #72
Matboard Maniac

I'm not a demo and I don't think I have bought anything from SU in about a year including catalogs. So from my standpoint, not so good. I have liked some of the stuff I've seen from the mini catalogs, but $$ has been tight and I have to REALLY love it to part with my cash!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #73
Matboard Maniac

I would say my spending is the same, but I have changed what I am buying. I love the DP and in colors this time, and my entire $200 order was paper, ribbon and inks. I have been converted to the "unmounted" camp, and will more than likely not buy a SU set unless I love it and can't get something similar elsewhere. I have to say I love the paper in the preview, and am looking forward to the new catty!

Eileen
Old 12-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #74
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiesmomView Post
I'm not a demo and I don't think I have bought anything from SU in about a year including catalogs. So from my standpoint, not so good. I have liked some of the stuff I've seen from the mini catalogs, but $$ has been tight and I have to REALLY love it to part with my cash!
So then why do you care if SU has 1 catalog, 2 catalogs, or 10 catalogs?? You aren't buying anything anyway. The OP is asking everyone what they think about SU having 2 catalogs a year and how it effects their purchases. If you aren't buying anything then 2 catalogs a year wouldn't have any effect on your purchases.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #75
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBakerView Post
So then why do you care if SU has 1 catalog, 2 catalogs, or 10 catalogs?? You aren't buying anything anyway. The OP is asking everyone what they think about SU having 2 catalogs a year and how it effects their purchases. If you aren't buying anything then 2 catalogs a year wouldn't have any effect on your purchases.
Not buying anything doesn't mean that we can't have an opinion. You can go into a store and not buy anything and still have an opinion about what they are displaying. Just my two cents.
I don't think that it has effected my buying and I am a demo. I primarily buy what I like for my use and while I consider myself a hobby demo, I do workshops and stamp camps for my group of stamping friends. I buy what I like and will use for my own personnal taste. But each situation is different. I like that SU has gone to two catalogs a year as I have been pretty much done with them by the January anyways when there was only one a year. But I can see where it might be tough for a business demo. As far as the cost of the catalog, I never flinched at the cost before I was a demo. Even at $20 for the two a year it is still cheaper than most magazines and I do find a lot of ideas there.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #76
Die Cut Diva

I'm confused at the posts that compare the catalogs to magazines. How are they similar?? The Stampin' Up catalogs are trying to entice us into purchasing their products. Magazines are giving us ideas and various resources of many, many manufacturers. Also magazines are not pushing us to purchase anything, but do give us advertisement on new items in the crafting world. They show many different manufacturers not just one like a Stampin' Up catalog does.

I do like Stampin' Up and spent over $600 this year on their products. I would just like to see more of a variety of stamp themes (too many flowers and cartoonish things). Also would like the option of purchasing individual stamps and not a whole set. I've never used the whole set on one card I've made.

My comments are just that, my comments. Stampin' Up must be doing something right in the method they choose to advertise (catalog(s)). They certainly do get the business.

Patti
Old 12-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #77
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by WordTrixView Post

The other problem with so many sets retiring this past year is that, of the 150+ SU sets I own, only ten are still current. And before anyone suggests I order new stuff, I'm not made of money, and a great many reasons why becoming a demo myself is out of the question.

Heather
Just want to say that you can easily be a demo with only 10 current sets though I understand if there are other reasons you can't be a demo.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #78
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I'm confused at the posts that compare the catalogs to magazines. How are they similar?? The Stampin' Up catalogs are trying to entice us into purchasing their products. Magazines are giving us ideas and various resources of many, many manufacturers. Also magazines are not pushing us to purchase anything, but do give us advertisement on new items in the crafting world. They show many different manufacturers not just one like a Stampin' Up catalog does.

I do like Stampin' Up and spent over $600 this year on their products. I would just like to see more of a variety of stamp themes (too many flowers and cartoonish things). Also would like the option of purchasing individual stamps and not a whole set. I've never used the whole set on one card I've made.

My comments are just that, my comments. Stampin' Up must be doing something right in the method they choose to advertise (catalog(s)). They certainly do get the business.

Patti
A sample card in a Stampin' Up! catalog is no different than a sample card in a magazine or in the SCS gallery -- It shows you a way to use a certain layout, colors, stamps and accessories to create a finished product. In magazines projects may utilize products made by different manufacturers, but to me that's just more of a pain because it takes a lot of time to track down the different products, some of which may only be available on-line. When I see a project in the Stampin' Up! catalog I know I will be able to find everything I need to replicate it right in the catalog, and there's even a recipe in the back to tell me exactly which products I'll need.

And when I was just starting to stamp before I became a demo, I also knew that if I had a question about any of the projects in the SU catalog I could just call my demo for help. Whom would I call if I had a question about a project in a magazine?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #79
Die Cut Diva

Stampwithdiane........I understand your point. I use the magazine pictures as a sample/idea. Then I do my own thing with colors and layout of my choosing. I am not interested in making a cookie cutter of the card in a magazine. I will agree that trying to find specific stamps used in examples in magazines is difficult if not impossible. Therefore, I just find a similar one. For the most part, I use the examples for the techniques and not the actual layout of the design.

Patti
Old 12-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #80
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiesmomView Post
Regardless.. she has a right to an opinion. Plus, she has seen the minis so maybe the up in prices has been a turn off to even buy the catalog-whether 1 or 2 a year. Maybe Kathy is smarter than we are- if you don't have the catty, you can't be tempted

Personally, I like two catties as a customer.. esp since I didn't like the last one much. However, I am not impressed with the prices on some stamp sets. Yes, I know compared to singles, they come out cheaper per stamp. However, there are a lot of similar designs. I am hoping the next will be better and have more images for me to watercolor But, spending wise, because I am splitting money between various stamp companies now (TAC, C.C. Designs, MFT, Bellas..) I have to absolutely love an SU set to take the dive, if it is over $25.

As a TAC Hobby demo, I also don't mind our 2 catty's a year. Of course, unmounted allows for cheaper prices so it doesn't hurt as much if a $7.95 set retires....plus, as others stated, retired of any brand can be found on ebay and BST forums.

Just my thoughts