Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I waste my money on LePlume II's??

Hi there. I recently got a heck of a deal on 7 sets of LePlume II markers on eBay. I was feeling so happy about this until I tried to blend them. I don't know if my blender pen is just really dry, but I can't get the colors to budge without the paper pilling up, and even then, the blending is minimal. The drawn edge is really dark and the lighter, inside part is extremely pale with a bunch of destroyed paper (pills). I've tried it on several different kinds of paper/CS to no avail. So...do I list them on eBay myself and wait for the Copic fairy to show up? LOL. Thanks for your help!

~Chanda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I am not familiar with Laplume but if they are similar to SU! markers I would use Watercolor paper (I use some from michaels has a yellow cover), stazon ink and an aquapainter. Copics are totally different, I use Neenah solar white cover stock and either pallette, adirondak or brilliant (this needs a few seconds of heat set) ink. I laydown a light color on the entire area then add darker color where I want highlight then use my lighter in cicular motion were two colors meet to blend to my satisfaction then go over the entire image again with lighter color. The key with copics is satuation! HTH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #3  
ckv
Kookie Creator

I own all of the sets from LePlume II's! I love mine's. You're not coloring it in correctly, that's why it's tearing into your paper. It works like the SU! markers. You need to find yourself a plastic container or any surface that will not soak in the ink. I used the cover to the whip cream container...or an acetate sheet ( or transparecies) and scribble on that. I then use my aqua painter to pick up the colors. The depth of the color depends on how much color you are picking up. The aqua painter will be very useful for being able to determine your shading.
It just takes practice....you'll get good at it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

If these are the water based markers, you can also apply them directly to the stamp, then after stamping, use a damp brush to watercolor the image

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use these a ton and have found that a light touch when coloring will help with any paper pilling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 04:46 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, you're getting lots of good advice. I use my leplumes to color in small areas where I am not interested in shading and especially for coloring directly onto stamps. They are terrific for using directly on stamps whether you want to watercolor or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 05:00 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckvView Post
I own all of the sets from LePlume II's! I love mine's. You're not coloring it in correctly, that's why it's tearing into your paper. It works like the SU! markers. You need to find yourself a plastic container or any surface that will not soak in the ink. I used the cover to the whip cream container...or an acetate sheet ( or transparecies) and scribble on that. I then use my aqua painter to pick up the colors. The depth of the color depends on how much color you are picking up. The aqua painter will be very useful for being able to determine your shading.
It just takes practice....you'll get good at it.
I also have all the sets from LePlume II and I love mine, too! I use them just like this. Have never had a problem. I also use watercolor paper like another poster mentioned. I use watercolor paper regardless if I'm using my LePlume II or my SU markers anytime I'm doing a blending/watercoloring technique because it's the best paper/cardstock I've found where I can get great blending without messing up the paper. I have never regretted getting my LePlume II since I use this technique/papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I use mine both for direct-to-stamp and also as described by ckv in post number 3. For a challenge recently I tried using them directly on paper and blending with my aqua-brush. The difference between two weights of watercolour paper astonished me, I got a much better result with the heavier paper. I've always found an aqua-brush has given me better results than the blender pens. But no, I don't think you've wasted your money....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Well, this is funny. I replied (or so I thought) to this thread last night, and I don't see my post today. Wonder where it went, lol. Anyhow, thank you so much for all of the advice. I think I'll try a lot of your techniques. Now, I've seen watercolor paper and it's terribly thick. Is that the kind you mean? I want to think the WC paper I bought a long time ago is pretty textured, too. I noticed the person above me mentioned a thin one, so I suppose I'll have to look next time I go to the craft store. Thanks again!
~Chanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I have 90lb and 140lb paper, it was the heavier one that worked better for me, but it's by no means the heaviest watercolour paper that there is! Hot pressed is the smoothest surface, rough is what says, and NOT or cold-pressed is in between. Obviously the smoothest one is the easiest to stamp on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Also try the shimmery white paper. I have found that it works better than the white and doesn't pill up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're getting lots of good ways to use your markers. I'll add one more. My favorite is to color directly on the stamp, spritz it lighly with water and then stamp. It gives a lovely water color effect. You did not waste your money. You just need to play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I actually tried the scribbling on a tupperware lid way tonight and it worked GREAT! I still think I got a bum blender pen though. That thing is as dry as the Sahara! Either way, my flower came out sooooooo well! I was really surprised! I would have posted the picture, but at the last minute, I decided to color a light blue halo around it and I think I kind of screwed it up, lol.
But, at least I know I can do it and it looks a lot more like a real flower!
Thanks again for everyone's help. This is the most helpful site I've ever been on! It's great!

~chanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks to the OP for asking this question. I have the Leplume markers also and can really use all the techniques to improve my coloring. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Art Impressions has a whole line of stamps designed for use with Marvy markers (including LePlume II) The have a wonderful CD and booklets that hold your hand, telling you what to do until you are ready to change things up a little. Their pitch is to use 140 lb cold press watercolor paper (found at Michael's and Hobby Lobby) and a damp paint brush. Use your marker directly on the rubber and then soften the lines with a damp paintbrush. They also use the technique of picking the marker up off a palette (coolwhip top, etc). Here is a sampling: http://www.artimpressions.com/Catalog/WC11.asp

Enjoy!
abcima
Reply With Quote Likes