Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For a deploying husband (SCRAPBOOK QUESTION) would you.....?

I am making hubby a 6x6 scrapbook so that he has something to look at while in Iraq for the year.. (he leaves in July)
So my question is do I make it all of he and I and our puppies or do I add in his friends and his small amount of family that is left?
I would either have them each fill out a small 4x4 size thing about him and add it in with a pic of them and him or if it were just he and I- I would do all the writing myself! Which do you think is more meaningful I want it to be a surprise!
Thanks for the input
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #2  
The Digi-Freak

I think it would be cool to include the family if you can! Add several pages of you and the dogs, but a few of the family and friends!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:00 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

You should add some pages for him to journal his thoughts and feelings while he's gone. Sometimes when you are away, looking at pictures can be comforting, but maybe leave space for him to comment on how they are making him feel.

Some guys might do this, others might not (too macho!), but the oppertunity is there if he is feeling overwhelmed with emotions.

Aubrey, this is a wonderful idea and such a treasure for him to take with him! Good luck sweetie!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:02 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I missed your point! I am such a DORK!!! I would ask everyone to fill them out- family and friends. I think that is so personal and amazing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree, put some family and friends in there too as long as you and the puppies are in the front and on the last page he sees;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

First off, THANK YOU to your husband and for him being so courageous to go to Iraq (and to you, it must not be easy!!!) Second, I think that is such a great/sweet idea! I think you should include as many of his friends and family you can. If you can't get a family member or friend to physically write in the book, have them email you what they would like to say to him. Even if it is all in your handwriting, it is the words from the family, friends & all of your hard work that will impress him and mean the world to him! Oh I think the part about adding in his personal thoughts for a journal is also a Great idea!!!!

Brenda
www.brendacoon.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Thumbs up Awesome idea!

He's going to love it. I'm sorry to hear he's leaving by the way. My suggestion is to include everything that will help him smile when he thinks of home! He's going to have some really down days and if he can look at something that you handmade, it will give him so much comfort. I think it's a fantastic idea to get his friends and family members involved. They can put things into their own words that would hold more meaning I think. You know guys have a straighter way of talking to each other. KWIM?

Just imagine it this way, you're sitting alone in your bunk and you read a short page from a buddy saying, "Hey, it's your buddy, stay safe and remember the beers I'm gonna be drinking for you." Or something silly like that. --Definitely get his family and friends involved. It will be a treasured item to show your kids one day when they want to look through dad's war memorabilia. Be sure and take a photo of you in front of your home, so that when he sees you, he sees your home and has both in his mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think including a few friends and family would be nice too. I also think it's a great idea to have them write a little something to him. It will be really nice for him to have while he's gone!!

Got Metal???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #9  
Sassy Shani

Since I know you IRL, and know of the "family" situation, my vote is for just you, Mav, Foxy and Ty!
Love you Aub's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:41 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think putting you and the doggies and maybe his close family (brother) and friends!! Either way I think he I would enjoy it because its coming from you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

I love your idea of a scrapbook. I am sure he will love the idea. If there is tension in the family, make it just of your immediate family (you and the dogs). Make this book his "retreat".

I sent pictures/cards hidden throughout his gear when my hubby left. So he found special messages each with a date he could open them up. It took 21 days for them to get packages, so that kept him going in the first month. I also made a quilt with his favorite pictures printed as the center of 12 squares. He slept with it every night he was able to. He said he kissed me every night before bed. I thought about doing a pillow case at first, that might be something easier depending on your hubbies location.

Journals were mentioned, so I will tell you what my hubby did for me while he was gone. I bought him a couple leather bound journals, and each day he wrote thoughts of what he had done, thoughts of me, sometimes twice a day. He wrote from the time he left, and his last entry was just before the plane landed for redeployment. I also kept all our emails and letters to save and scrapbook later. It was amazing to read how much he loved something I had mailed him, how he felt after he heard my voice, how much I brightened his lonely days while apart, how he missed my touch, etc. Makes me cry just thinking about it. Anyway, we use Moleskine books in our family ... very high quality. Someday our grandkids could be reading this.

My hubby had me scrapbook all the homemade cards in an Air Force scrapbook when he got home. He put them in the order in which were his favorite designs.

Your hubby will absolutely treasure it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:50 PM   #12  
Sassy Shani

Oh my goodness. Your post just brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful idea for lil Aub's!
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggerificandi
I love your idea of a scrapbook. I am sure he will love the idea. If there is tension in the family, make it just of your immediate family (you and the dogs). Make this book his "retreat".

I sent pictures/cards hidden throughout his gear when my hubby left. So he found special messages each with a date he could open them up. It took 21 days for them to get packages, so that kept him going in the first month. I also made a quilt with his favorite pictures printed as the center of 12 squares. He slept with it every night he was able to. He said he kissed me every night before bed. I thought about doing a pillow case at first, that might be something easier depending on your hubbies location.

Journals were mentioned, so I will tell you what my hubby did for me while he was gone. I bought him a couple leather bound journals, and each day he wrote thoughts of what he had done, thoughts of me, sometimes twice a day. He wrote from the time he left, and his last entry was just before the plane landed for redeployment. I also kept all our emails and letters to save and scrapbook later. It was amazing to read how much he loved something I had mailed him, how he felt after he heard my voice, how much I brightened his lonely days while apart, how he missed my touch, etc. Makes me cry just thinking about it. Anyway, we use Moleskine books in our family ... very high quality. Someday our grandkids could be reading this.

My hubby had me scrapbook all the homemade cards in an Air Force scrapbook when he got home. He put them in the order in which were his favorite designs.

Your hubby will absolutely treasure it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:51 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with everything everybody said. My only suggestion is if people cant think of what to say, ask them to write about their fav memory. BTW, my hubby is leaving in a week for only four months, so know sort of where you are coming from. Courage to you guys, may God give you support you need. And i know that this community is great for giving comfert when you most need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 11:15 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelfire1267
I agree with everything everybody said. My only suggestion is if people cant think of what to say, ask them to write about their fav memory.
Thanks great tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 03:03 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I did the same for dh when he left. I only included our family, just because there are so many of us ;-) Keely drew a flower, her signature picture/drawing at the time, she was 3. And I included a picture drawn by Daylon of him and his daddy, and Landon wrote the cutest acrostic poem. And I included lots of pictures of everyone from when the kids were babies until now. He LOVES it I think he'll love whatever you do
Tony says his favorite things are letters. Between the kids and I we send at least 1 a day.
I'm thinking of you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 09:43 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

My upline's-upline had an idea that I will do if my DH is ever deployed. She actually did this as a wedding gift, but you could mail it back and forth to each other. It was a love note book, a scrapbook that was just blank pages (stamped to look romantic) and with journaling spots. Just to write love notes to each other in. I know the mail takes a long time to Iraq, but it's an idea....

My family Blog
Fantasy Stamps - My stamping blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would fill it with everything that would make him feel closer to home when he wants and needs to. I hope your year goes by very quickly and that you are telling us real soon that he's coming home!

Blessings,
Julie C.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 04:38 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with MamaK. I would include family and very close friends.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 04:47 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

My hubby will be going over there in the not so distant future as well:( I am planning to do a 6x6 for him as well but what I think I am going to do is make a layout everyweek about what is going on at home and send it to him so he can see what we are doing while he is away. Luckily my Dh only has to go for 4 months so it will probably only fill one sb!

I think for your idea to add some of his family and friends would be an excellent idea! Anything that means something to him that he will not have in Iraq would be great to SB!

Check out MY GALLERY

Journey to our little girl[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote Likes