Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To Demo or Not

My SU demonstrator is giving up the biz to persue other interests as they say in the corporate world, actually she is about to deliver her 2nd child and just doesn't have time for it any more.

She is willing to help me get started, act as a pseudo up-line (her upline is 2 states away). She will pass on her customers to me so I will be ahead of the game on that score but I am still debating and need to know the pluses and minuses of being a demonstrator.

A couple of things to consider I am a single mom with a 4 y.o. and a full time job. Are there any other SMs out there demo-ing on the side.

Any advice is appreciated.

K
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Hiya Kalyber:

If she's willing to turn customers over to you, then I would certainly consider it. But, it sounds like you are thinking of signing up under her before she quits. I really don't think I would do that. It's not going to benefit her since she's quitting, and you would have no real upline. I realize she's going to try to help you as if she were your upline, but I would look at folks on the demo locator and see if you can find someone to sign up under that would be staying and really help you. They would benefit from it and you would have someone who is obligated to train you. I have been a demo for almost 1.5 yrs and I've never had a workshop. I have a lot of back problems, but have been lucky enough to always have 2-4 customers who spend enough that I make my minimums. The minimums are only 300.00 in a quarter. I hold a class in my home once a week, and they order from me. I am a hobby demo and quite content with it that way. My demo discount basically covers tax and shipping for me. I'm not making money, but I get the perks of being a demo. I love the demo forums here on SCS, and the SU demo website. Getting sneak peaks at things etc. You know how much work her current customers will require and if you can do that. The starter kit is well worth the money for what you receive, and if you decide it's not for you, you can stop. But for me I would not consider signing up under someone who is quitting. I would suggest both of you talk to her customers about it. She can reccomend you to them, but of course they can chose to go to another demo. I wish you peace in whatever you decide about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't you find out what her customers would expect from you? If they are looking for classes, workshops etc., do you think you have time for that? You have a full time job and are a single mom with a very young child -- it could be hard to find the time for workshops and possibly pay a babysitter?? Once she is in school, you'll have homework, after school stuff, etc. I hope I'm not being a downer, but I know how hard it is to juggle a job, a kid and just find time to stamp!!

On the other hand, if these gals are just looking for someone to send them email notices of sales, and place orders, then I would do it because you know you are going to get a discount and meet your minimums.

I was a demo that only placed orders for folks -- no workshops, etc. It took time just for that -- go to the bank, input orders, very occasionally track down the missing package (!), etc. I loved loved being a demo -- it was so much fun getting a discount, getting the SU monthly mag, getting to pre order stuff. It is a great company. But, my life ran out of time even for the simple demo stuff.

On the 3rd hand, right now it's only 99 bucks to sign up. You could try it and always quit. It is no biggie to join and just stop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Another single mom

I am a demo and a single mom. My daughter just turned five and I have been a demo about 9 months. My upline basically fell off the earth after I signed up so I don't ever have support, but I mainly intended to do it as a hobby demo anyway. That is my background. I have a stamp club that is made up of 6 people who agree to order $25 every other month. They each get a hostess month, and I do a technique class in my home that is free for them every other month. I have never had a problem more than meeting my minimums. I don't really do workshops at other people's homes since I feel that hiring a sitter for that is counterproductive. I do stamp a stacks, technique classes, and other workshops in my home where my daughter can be around and it is never a problem. I also do a scrapbooking crop night. I think you can have just a few things a month and make being a demo worthwhile, even as a single parent with a job. Hope that helps.
Noelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I think it takes alot of time to create and keep your customer base. There is also alot of others demos out there to compete with. Also be ready to invest $$. Remember you have to keep up with the latest stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappykt
I think it takes alot of time to create and keep your customer base. There is also alot of others demos out there to compete with. Also be ready to invest $$. Remember you have to keep up with the latest stuff.
This is more if you are trying to build a business. If she intends being a hobby demo then not so much. I haven't counted, but most of my stamp sets are retired. I did spend a lot on ink, paper, tools etc but I only had one ink pad and one stamp set (simple wishes) when I became a demo. I do spend my 20% back but it's because I want it all and my will power only kicks in when my money is gone hehehe I have 2-4 customers at any given time and they keep me in business. If you have a couple good customers, you can work this as little or as much as you wish, and that's one of the things I love about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Default hobby vs job-by

I have a FT job. I don't NEED the money. I would love to make enough to hire a cleaning lady every couple of weeks (like before in-house demos/parties) because I would rather stamp than clean. (Sound like anyone you know?) But I don't NEED the income.
My friends and I didn't get to see our demonstrator nearly often enough for me, once every 3 months or so but that was because of the combined group's schedules.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyber
I have a FT job. I don't NEED the money. I would love to make enough to hire a cleaning lady every couple of weeks (like before in-house demos/parties) because I would rather stamp than clean. (Sound like anyone you know?) But I don't NEED the income.
My friends and I didn't get to see our demonstrator nearly often enough for me, once every 3 months or so but that was because of the combined group's schedules.
Do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Do it!
hehehe Joan.....glad to see you've stopped that infernal enabling!! lmao I agree completely though. Specially with SAB going on. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree. Do it.

I hold a monthly card buffet--take in an average of $100/month. It all goes to meeting my minimums, but I get all the cool tools, inks, sets, . . . . .

Maybe an event like that would work for you. Or a technique club. I am a SAHM, but I have 6 kids. :-) Kinda busy. So once a month works great for me, and I didn't start with any customers! I think you'll have no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I would love to make enough to hire a cleaning lady every couple of weeks (like before in-house demos/parties)
Okay, so you want to make $175 a month? That's a great place to start when looking at the numbers. So, if you sell $700 a month, you get to keep 27%, which is $189. That doesn't count ordering supplies (catalogs, mini catalogs, order forms, etc.) and it doesn't count buying something that you wouldn't have bought anyway (assuming you are currently buying SU products).

Is it realistic? How much do those customers typically buy from your current demo -- the one retiring who is willing to recommend you to her current customers? You should ask her that. What does she normall sell in an average month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Default What's the cost?

How much are supplies like order forms etc? I haven't seen a price list for these items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

I love being a customer... no demo dreams here!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Catalogs are $32 (plus shipping and tax) for a box of 8. Mini catalogs come in packs of 8 for 2.95 (plus shipping and tax). Orders forms are 50 for 4.75 (plus T&S). You can print order forms on your printer -- but they aren't the carbon paper type.

You get the idea? I'm not trying to be a downer about demo expenses. I LOVE being a demo. I just read your comment about how you just wanted to make enough for a housekeeper. So I thought that was a good jumping off point to talk about real numbers. Because you can make the decision to become a demo based on a 'gut feeling' -- but you should also have some real data to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

How much are supplies like order forms etc? I haven't seen a price list for these items.
One note about the supplies, you don't have to buy them every time! You get a pack in your starter kit and once you go through them, THEN you have to buy more. Your current demo may even sell/give you what she has left..... I'm coming up on my 6 months and I just had to buy more catties and order forms. I wasn't out, but I was low.... (I keep a bunch in already made up hostess packets and guest "packets", so if I HAD to have them they were there)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I think what you spend on a cleaning lady is also going to depend on you. How much do you expect her to do??? Are you a relatively neat person or is she going to "work" for her money???? Also what are the going rates in your area?? Do you have any retired friends that might be willing to do it at a reasonable rate? I have yet to do a workshop at my house because I'm in a new area and the customers I have are across the state... I did find a wonderful lady that cleans for me every 2 weeks. I know I'm getting an unheard of deal from her but she knew what I could afford and she was willing to do it for that. She is no where even close to $175...so I guess it depends on your area!

I say go for it! I started as hobby but the business side is picking up for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to shellca

I say do it. I would love to be a demo, but hubby won't let me. Still working on him.
Reply With Quote Likes