In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #1
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
 
CreativeCardsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 833
Default Dear Past Self...

No matter where we are in your creative journey, we're constantly growing and evolving. We try new techniques, get excited about new supplies and master things through many hours of practice. Over time, we learn. Sometimes lessons are easy. Other times, they are long and hard - and leave us wishing we could have "figured it out" sooner.

If you could talk to your creative past self, what would you say?

Here's my list:

Dear Past Self:
- You will not run out of adhesive.
Really. You've got back-ups of your back-ups and even if you run out of adhesive runner refills, you still have liquid adhesive (with extras), double-sided tape and foam tape. So, let go of the squirrel tendencies and don't worry about running out of adhesive so much.

- The supplies you were really excited to buy are still inspiring.
But things that you bought because they were on sale/cheap/retiring are a hit-or-miss. Sure, you saved $7.50 on that stamp set, but if you never use it, it's a waste of money - not money saved. Give yourself time to figure out which supplies continue to inspire you a few weeks after their release and spend wisely on those alone.

- No matter how long you're at it, you will always have things that make you feel like a confident seasoned pro and things that make you feel like a clumsy hot mess.
And that's ok. You can't grow inside your comfort zone - we grow when we're challenged, not when we're sitting still. At the same time, it's hard to stay motivated if you always feel like you're failing because the technique is too new or too hard. So, keep learning from your bad cards and keep enjoying the good ones.

- Share with others.
You'll be surprised to learn just how many people are in the same boat as you are when it comes to thoughts, feelings and goals. They might not always say it in a comment/post, but what you share can resonate with them - just like what they share can resonate with you. Learning and inspiration come in many shapes and forms. So, take the plunge and start participating.

__________________
~Elle~
Creative Cardsea
CreativeCardsea is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
Proud Fan Club Member
 
gregzgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Las Vegas, baby!
Posts: 12,486
Default

One thing - JUST DO IT, ALREADY! Don't worry about if it's right, or if you have "enough stuff", or what everyone else is doing or what they'll think - JUST GO PLAY!!!
__________________
~ Sue
Happy for no reason...

gregzgurl is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
cjzim, cheermom, jeaniebean55 and 18 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
Die Cut Diva
 
shazsilverwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Worcestershire, England
Posts: 3,254
Default

To that I'd add- when you are first starting out, DO NOT buy loads of a certain thing. Decoupage sheets/Angel Hair paper/ handmade papers, I'm looking at you here. Just buy a few- your tastes & interests will change. And when new products are released, don't believe everything the manufacturer says about them, Staz-on Opaques, this is your minute in the spotlight. Wait and see what real crafters think about them.
__________________
silverwolfcards blog
My gallery
shazsilverwolf is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew Alumni
 
Drummergirlred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 607
Default

Dear Ann-Marie- Don't waste your money on big box store plain cardstock, it's not worth it. You want to give a nice quality gift just go for the good stuff! Also stop buying so many stickers!
__________________
AM Bevel is DGR Proud SU! Demo - My SU! page HERE
Facebook!:HERE Instagram!: HERE Pintrest!:HERE
Drummergirlred is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast
 
lesliespringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Posts: 19,987
Default

Dear Past Self....you should have dumped that jerk of a boyfriend you had and hooked up with your future hubby much sooner.

Oh, I'm sorry you meant crafty stuff didn't you
__________________
Leslie


"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
FOR SALE
lesliespringer is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
cheermom, ChrisO, barbfarmd and 33 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
Proud Fan Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,050
Default

Dear Past Self: Don't buy cheap paper because you like the colors in the pack.
Don't bother buying "Fibers"....those fringy strings in bright colors.
Don't worry about wasting your supplies when you don't like the outcome of a card, or trying something new, YOU HAVE PLENTY.
Remember that people who receive your cards can't see what you think are mistakes (Don't worry if it's not PERFECT)....They will see your heart.
harvestmoon is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
Proud Fan Club Member
 
uncbballfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under the Carolina Blue sky...
Posts: 4,594
Default

Dear Past Self:

Less is more.
It's only paper.
Done is better than perfect.
__________________
Linda E
Caution: You are entering an artistic zone. This is not clutter - this is creating. These are not pajamas - it's my work uniform.
uncbballfan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Emilysuesue, cjzim, cheermom and 18 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #8
Die Cut Diva
 
lylacfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,260
Default

This is a hard one emotionally. Should have never ever done this. I took a self esteem hit over it. Paper crafting is the only area in my life that I have done this. I felt peer pressured. Even in high school I didn't feel peer pressured. Note to self don't fall for peer pressure. Your style is inside you and it is special.

Never make holiday cards. Don't like them, don't feel good about making them. Feel like I spend more time making cards for holidays than spending time with my loved ones and doing fun Holiday things. Never will miss Charlie Brown or Rudolph again because I was trying to finish up holiday items.

Don't buy stamps or supplies from companies because that is the choices you think are opened to you. If a small Etsy seller has the handmade stamp you want then buy it from her. That stamp will be loved and used. I bought so many crazy stamps because I didn't know all the stamp retailers then. Now, I am very careful to shop around. I am never brand loyal.

To all the girls about stickers and fibers. I will take them, lol. Seriously, our pretty ephemera & embellishments we use to make our items beautiful, pick out what you love not what is trendy. Try something trendy but do it in small frugal doses. For example I like wood veneers but I am not huge into them. I think I own one set. I do own one set it is mason jars. I like pretty ribbons, stickers, & bling.

It is ok to get into trend three years to late. Took me forever to get into gold foiling. Now, I love it. I didn't get a Cricut Explore until last year. I only bought it to replace my dying Cricut. I finally got a Fuse last Christmas. To be fair about the Fuse I did really want that one when it first came out.
__________________
DeeAnn

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
lylacfey is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
jeaniebean55, Paula in GA, jukie and 4 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:18 AM   #9
Gallery Gazer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Windsor CO
Posts: 6,839
Default

Dear Past Self,
It is OK to love a style or two and stick with it over the years, trendy or not.
It is OK to suck at coloring while the rest of the world gets really good at it.
It is OK to love crafting and making stuff for the sake of making stuff.
It will feel great to throw or give away stuff you don't use, regardless of what it cost. )You won't get the money back by letting it sit on the shelf, either.)
Mary Beth
lutheran is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
cjzim, Cathi Hubbard, barbfarmd and 17 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:28 AM   #10
Hardware Hotshot
 
jukie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 4,071
Default

Dear Past & Present self ...make time for yourself, to allow your creativity to flourish, in the end it makes a better you!
__________________
Encourage, Empower and Embrace
jukie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast
 
lesliespringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Posts: 19,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
This is a hard one emotionally. Should have never ever done this. I took a self esteem hit over it. Paper crafting is the only area in my life that I have done this. I felt peer pressured. Even in high school I didn't feel peer pressured. Note to self don't fall for peer pressure. Your style is inside you and it is special.

Never make holiday cards. Don't like them, don't feel good about making them. Feel like I spend more time making cards for holidays than spending time with my loved ones and doing fun Holiday things. Never will miss Charlie Brown or Rudolph again because I was trying to finish up holiday items.

Don't buy stamps or supplies from companies because that is the choices you think are opened to you. If a small Etsy seller has the handmade stamp you want then buy it from her. That stamp will be loved and used. I bought so many crazy stamps because I didn't know all the stamp retailers then. Now, I am very careful to shop around. I am never brand loyal.

To all the girls about stickers and fibers. I will take them, lol. Seriously, our pretty ephemera & embellishments we use to make our items beautiful, pick out what you love not what is trendy. Try something trendy but do it in small frugal doses. For example I like wood veneers but I am not huge into them. I think I own one set. I do own one set it is mason jars. I like pretty ribbons, stickers, & bling.

It is ok to get into trend three years to late. Took me forever to get into gold foiling. Now, I love it. I didn't get a Cricut Explore until last year. I only bought it to replace my dying Cricut. I finally got a Fuse last Christmas. To be fair about the Fuse I did really want that one when it first came out.


All your favorite Christmas movies including Charlie Brown and Rudolph
are made into DVD format. You can watch them when you craft.


Every year when I put up the Christmas tree and decorate it, I start with Santa Claus is coming to town, Rudolph, and Frosty the snowman.


https://www.amazon.com/Original-Chri...stmas+classics


I bought this years ago at walmart for like $12-15 . The one I have is a red cover and includes the little drummer boy and frosty returns.


During the evening of Christmas week I all so watch the Grinch with Jim, Carrey, Polar Express and It's a wonderful life.


Never miss your special Christmas shows! They are always out at Walmart, Best Buy and on Amazon during the Christmas season! But you can't wait till December to buy them or they will be all sold out. Buy them early or if you buy one one a month on amazon now, you can have all your favorites buy this Christmas.


There is only 354 more day until Christmas Hurry


End of commercial break!
__________________
Leslie


"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
FOR SALE
lesliespringer is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
jukie and CreativeCardsea like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #12
Stampin' Fool
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 1,321
Default

I'm soooo conflicted over this one...it has brought me great joy and great friendships, and I have really loved my 12 years doing it, but here goes, with some uncomfortable honesty:

Don't sign up to be a demo for that company, especially because all of your friends are encouraging you to do it. They can't make your minimums for you. You will buy things you don't love, to be able to showcase cards for your friends, and won't resell them in a timely manner once they've retired. You will hoard paper, or buy things that are retiring, because you are what every company wishes they had as a customer...someone who impulse-buys, AND wants 'one in every color', who can't feel like they are missing out.

And, because you love crafting in general you will still buy non-demo items from other companies that you DO love, then spend years bemoaning the fact that you are unable to use them in your projects, so you amass an ungodly collection of items that would qualify you for an episode of Hoarders. You will have thousands of dollars tied up in stuff and be unable to use much of it up in twelve lifetimes. And the guilt over that spending....yikes.
----------
Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed so much of my time being a rep for a pretty awesome company, but if I could go back, I'm not sure I would have let myself be talked into it. I'm horrible at sales, I give away a lot of stuff, I have no interest in blogging, and am not very assertive. Pretty much a laundry list for 'How not to be a super successful crafting diva', lol...even though that was never my intent when I started paper crafting...
ChrisO is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
wyobart, cheermom, Cathi Hubbard and 23 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #13
Gabfest Goddess
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 7,818
Default

As is often true in life, you have to experience it in order to learn a lesson.
lynnewithane is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
tjblack3, lesliespringer, kazooMI and 2 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 11,495
Default

Dear past self,
There will ALWAYS be something new and lovely calling your name. It's OK to take a pass this time around.

Try to take a picture of the thing that took your breath away, that caused you to buy the whatever-it-is-you're-buying so that when you get around to using it, you'll remember what the heck you wanted to do with it.

You got into this because it gives you joy. Playing and exploring and learning are as much fun as creating that WOW card. Not every card is going to be a WOW, you'll learn a lot as you go, but at the end of the day, if it isn't fun, stop and figure out why not, what's getting in the way of the joy.
__________________
If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't. ~ Jimmy Carter
jeaniebean55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #15
Stampin' Fool
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,286
Default

Dear self don't get sucked into the doing what everyone else is doing insanity and don't feel like you can only do that one thing because they are.

You also don't have to stop doing what makes YOU happy to do something else because "everyone else" is. You should try new things but don't abandon you in the process.



Give your self permission to play, be creative and find happiness doing so no matter the outside influences.
stampin stacy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #16
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
fl_beachbum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Walking on sunshine
Posts: 3,347
Default

Dear self,
It is okay to throw pieces of or entire projects in the trash. As Edison said, "I've not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work."
__________________
Adriana
Cup & Ink
fl_beachbum is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Emilysuesue, wyobart, justampin and 17 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #17
Proud Fan Club Member
 
gregzgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Las Vegas, baby!
Posts: 12,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
I'm soooo conflicted over this one...it has brought me great joy and great friendships, and I have really loved my 12 years doing it, but here goes, with some uncomfortable honesty:

Don't sign up to be a demo for that company, especially because all of your friends are encouraging you to do it. They can't make your minimums for you. You will buy things you don't love, to be able to showcase cards for your friends, and won't resell them in a timely manner once they've retired. You will hoard paper, or buy things that are retiring, because you are what every company wishes they had as a customer...someone who impulse-buys, AND wants 'one in every color', who can't feel like they are missing out.

And, because you love crafting in general you will still buy non-demo items from other companies that you DO love, then spend years bemoaning the fact that you are unable to use them in your projects, so you amass an ungodly collection of items that would qualify you for an episode of Hoarders. You will have thousands of dollars tied up in stuff and be unable to use much of it up in twelve lifetimes. And the guilt over that spending....yikes.
----------
Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed so much of my time being a rep for a pretty awesome company, but if I could go back, I'm not sure I would have let myself be talked into it. I'm horrible at sales, I give away a lot of stuff, I have no interest in blogging, and am not very assertive. Pretty much a laundry list for 'How not to be a super successful crafting diva', lol...even though that was never my intent when I started paper crafting...
You've pretty much summed up why I never stayed a demo longer than made sense to take advantage of the amazing sign-on special, lol...
__________________
~ Sue
Happy for no reason...

gregzgurl is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
ChrisO, Paula in GA, jukie and 7 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #18
Forum Fanatic
 
stamphappy1650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 9,498
Default

Hmm...every mistake is a learning experience but my biggest thing that I rely on now is that people exaggerate. Don't fall into the "must have, works great, love it,..." Before I buy into something I wait, watch, and research because eventually the warts will come out and then I can make an informed decision before I buy.
__________________
My Gallery
stamphappy1650 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #19
Die Cut Diva
 
Oddesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,932
Default

This is so spot-on. Especially the bit about stamps you were excited to buy won't fail you, but beware of the ones you are buying just because they are a deal. And in my case, don't keep buying SU stamps that you don't really like just to meet your minimum. I burnt myself out on SU that way, and overfilled my space.

I would add:
-Buy the MISTI now! I thought I didn't need it until I actually had one, and now I don't know how I got along without it.


-Don't hoard paper, and don't buy every color just because. Learn what colors you like most and stock up on those. If you want the others just in case, get a sampler pack not a full pack.


-Don't hoard paper scraps and left over die cuts. You will never use them, and they will take up precious space.


-You don't need a full line of inks from three different companies. Stick with one, and if you must have another, get the mini pads.


-Avoid companies that retire items regularly. You will be disappointed when you can't get a certain color any more, and will hoard that color instead of using it. This does not apply to stamps, because I will use them long after they have fallen out of fashion if I love the image.
__________________
aka Sue. Or Sue-odd.
No blog for me. My gallery chronicles my card-making successes and mishaps.

My Pinterest Boards
Oddesigns is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Cathi Hubbard, ChrisO, justampin and 16 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #20
Mad Swapper
 
swandog-4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,789
Default

Dear Past Self...
You will make life long friends
You will let the artist out in yourself...just keep going
People will love your cards
This will open a whole new world for you!
swandog-4 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
Die Cut Diva
 
cat_woman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,632
Default

Dear Past Self:

Don't buy all this "stuff" (sub in explicative) unless you're truly going to go straight home and make it! Craft supplies ARE NOT a good replacement for retirement savings!
cat_woman is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Cathi Hubbard, ChrisO, justampin and 10 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:41 AM   #22
Gabfest Goddess
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 7,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
Dear Past Self:

Don't buy all this "stuff" (sub in explicative) unless you're truly going to go straight home and make it! Craft supplies ARE NOT a good replacement for retirement savings!
Wait. It's not? What am I supposed to spend my retirement savings on?
lynnewithane is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Paula in GA, gobarb26, StamperDea and 2 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #23
Kookie Creator
 
Catherine773's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 494
Default

Dear Past Self - Do not buy 5 sheets of every single page of patterned paper you love in fear of it being retired and not being able to find it again. You will end up with thousands of 12 x 12 sheets that you hide in your craft room closet in fear of being accused of being a hoarder. Just breathe, fight the impulse, and trust there will be another design you will love even more. Do not get sucked into the chipboard craze. Or you will have a ton of it years later that takes up precious space and you can't even find anyone who even wants it! Put the lifetime supply of Brads and Eyelets back on the shelves, trust me, your style will change soon. Most importantly - as you get better at this hobby, still just have fun. Stop feeling like each card you make has to be even better than the last one or you're a failure at it. Enjoy the process, ignore the pressure, and make a big fat mess in your craft room!!!
Catherine773 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Cathi Hubbard, KayInFL, ChrisO and 11 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #24
Pearl-ExPert
 
KayInFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In Florida!
Posts: 2,022
Default

[QUOTE=Catherine773;21393855]Dear Past Self - Do not buy 5 sheets of every single page of patterned paper you love in fear of it being retired and not being able to find it again. You will end up with thousands of 12 x 12 sheets that you hide in your craft room closet in fear of being accused of being a hoarder. Just breathe, fight the impulse, and trust there will be another design you will love even more. Do not get sucked into the chipboard craze. Or you will have a ton of it years later that takes up precious space and you can't even find anyone who even wants it! Put the lifetime supply of Brads and Eyelets back on the shelves, trust me, your style will change soon. Most importantly - as you get better at this hobby, still just have fun. ![/QUOT


Were you watching me clean out my craft space this weekend? Even now, I can't bring myself to let some of those Basic Grey 12x12 sheets go - or cut in to them. I just pet them and put them back....
__________________
Bloom With Kay website
Bloom With Kay blog
KayInFL is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 AM   #25
Crimping Master
 
HOBBYSUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northwest Illinois near the Fox
Posts: 1,166
Default

Dear past self.............quick trying to have everything!! You hoard and you hoard til you cannot even possibly remember what you have yet alone where it is. The world will not stop rotation if you do not buy the lastest in colors!
__________________
Susan

MY BLOG...Ladyslipperway.blogspot.com
HOBBYSUE is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #26
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 277
Default

Dear Self,
Just because you have a coupon doesn't mean you have to use it! Find your style and do what you love. Don't try to be like someone else in style. It might look pretty when they do it but not when you do it! Let the paper scraps go! Try to clean your space between major projects! Haha! Craft with friends!
ladyofcards is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Paula in GA, jukie, DianeinSparks and 4 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #27
Hardware Hotshot
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Roygbiville
Posts: 4,140
Default

Dear Past Self:

Just do it.
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
ChrisO, jukie, kazooMI and 3 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #28
Stazon Splitcoast
 
susanbri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 17,004
Default

Dear Younger Self,

Do not keep all those scraps of cs. You won't remember that they are there so recycle them right away.

Be very strict with yourself when buying decorative paper and only buy what you can envision as part of a card. Do not buy it just because you think it is beautiful.

When your style evolves, it is okay to get rid of some of your old stuff.

Do not keep backgrounds, die cuts, images you've coloured, etc. that you are not totally happy with, thinking you'll find a way to use them. You will not remember what is in your UFO box and will rarely go through it.

Having said all that, I am now going to purge that stuff!!
__________________
Susan

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
susanbri is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Paula in GA, jukie, PikkuLilla and 3 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #29
Hardware Hotshot
 
jukie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 4,071
Default

add to mine....catalog your stamps as you go
__________________
Encourage, Empower and Embrace
jukie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
ChrisO, justampin, TeeGeeDee and 7 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #30
Proud Fan Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Continental US
Posts: 1,409
Default

Oh HOly Smokes! I resemble so many of these! Thanks for sharing -- anything I would add is already in there. Makes me smile to know that I'm not the only one out there who made these mistakes........Perhaps there is hope for me yet!
__________________
Tami Black
tjblack3 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #31
Pearl-ExPert
 
harrahx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lewes, Delaware
Posts: 2,908
Default

Go and stamp, learn as you go and really think about a stamp set to see if you have multiple uses for it. As I have grown, I am learning to review my stamp choices.
__________________
~You never know how strong you are until strong is the only choice you have~
~Proud Member of the Fan Club Gallery~
harrahx2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Paula in GA, jukie, StamperDea and 3 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #32
Rubber Obsessor
 
gomatt17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 140
Default

Dear Past and Present self....Your cards aren't as bad as you think they are. You need to get over that and post some that you really do like because members in the group might not find the fault in them that you do. After all your friends and family who get them seems to enjoy them.
gomatt17 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
jukie, irie93, StamperDea and 5 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #33
Polyshrink Goddess
 
gothchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 692
Default

Dear Past Self, do not buy things just because they are on sale. When you see something that you really love, do not hesitate to buy multiples of that product. Trends are just that, here today gone tomorrow. If you really do not like the trend of the moment don't bother with it. Most importantly, always stay true to yourself.

Barb
gothchic is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:31 AM   #34
Embossing Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Yorkshire, England
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutheran View Post
Dear Past Self,
It is OK to love a style or two and stick with it over the years, trendy or not.
It is OK to suck at coloring while the rest of the world gets really good at it.
It is OK to love crafting and making stuff for the sake of making stuff.
It will feel great to throw or give away stuff you don't use, regardless of what it cost. )You won't get the money back by letting it sit on the shelf, either.)
Mary Beth
Wise words indeed, although they weren't what came to me straight away.

I would say to my past self: don't buy something unless you know you will use it and, in the case of things intended to be used multiple times, unless you know you will use it a lot.

Lynda
lyndaejane is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #35
Stampin' Fool
 
mrsclark2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sunny So. Cal.
Posts: 1,449
Default

Dear past (ok.. current) self,
Don't make cards only to hoard them in clear bags neatly organized inside of pretty boxes. They will never make someone smile, never make someone's day, never bring someone cheer and never let someone know that they are on your mind if they never get the card!
__________________
I'm a ChemoAngel & SeniorAngel! Click HERE to learn more.
mrsclark2001 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
justampin, jeaniebean55, jcg and 7 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:14 AM   #36
Die Cut Diva
 
lylacfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliespringer View Post
All your favorite Christmas movies including Charlie Brown and Rudolph
are made into DVD format. You can watch them when you craft.


Every year when I put up the Christmas tree and decorate it, I start with Santa Claus is coming to town, Rudolph, and Frosty the snowman.


https://www.amazon.com/Original-Chri...stmas+classics


I bought this years ago at walmart for like $12-15 . The one I have is a red cover and includes the little drummer boy and frosty returns.


During the evening of Christmas week I all so watch the Grinch with Jim, Carrey, Polar Express and It's a wonderful life.


Never miss your special Christmas shows! They are always out at Walmart, Best Buy and on Amazon during the Christmas season! But you can't wait till December to buy them or they will be all sold out. Buy them early or if you buy one one a month on amazon now, you can have all your favorites buy this Christmas.


There is only 354 more day until Christmas Hurry


End of commercial break!
I do have the movies on DVD. What I mean is that I was so busy making cards and other holiday items that my friends couldn't bring their little ones over to visit me because I was too busy to finish gifts for them. Instead of my friends being able to bring their children over to babysit while they went shopping I was too busy crafting.

I rather have kids over to spoil and watch Christmas movies together than craft.

I use to do this silly thing with Mistletoe. I would get a sprig of Mistletoe and then get my friends to kiss me. It was very sweet and innocent. I stopped it because I was so busy doing holiday items. This Christmas one of my friends asked me why I stopped mistletoe? I told him I got so busy creating. Everyone said I had to stop creating because my kisses were better.

I use to give the gift of special moments then went to cards & physical gifts. I learned my loved ones want the moments.
__________________
DeeAnn

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
lylacfey is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
jukie, StamperDea, kazooMI and 1 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:16 AM   #37
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 11,495
Default

Dear Past Self,
also ... you will NOT make money, you will not save money, you will not save time. But you will love the creative process this mad hobby allows. and in the end, you'll be glad you were snookered.
__________________
If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't. ~ Jimmy Carter
jeaniebean55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
jcg, stamps4funGin, uncbballfan and 5 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #38
Kookie Creator
 
susie718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 432
Default

Dear Past Self,
You don't need everything in every color--eyelets in EVERY color, microbeads in EVERY color, glitter in EVERY color, etc. Although, it is nice to have ink in every color...
susie718 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
jeaniebean55, jukie, wavejumper and 1 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:05 AM   #39
Embossing Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North Yorkshire, England
Posts: 54
Default

Dear Past Self,
You can't GET everything in every colour - how ever many colours you have, you can never match the exact same ribbon, button, bead - or ink!

Lynda
lyndaejane is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
jukie, StamperDea, wavejumper and 1 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #40
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
 
justampin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Coral Springs, Fl
Posts: 12,262
Default

Dear Past Self,Marry your new supplies with your old supplies. Just because it's retired doesn't mean it's unusable.
Oh and ditto on the Misti, wish I'd gotten it sooner and wish I'd gotten the larger not the mini. Ditto also on scraps. Toss anything smaller than 2 x 4.
__________________
Heather
My Blog
My Gallery
Pinterest
justampin is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
jukie, kazooMI, wavejumper and 1 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off