Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #41
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie718View Post
Dear Past Self,
You don't need everything in every color--eyelets in EVERY color, microbeads in EVERY color, glitter in EVERY color, etc. Although, it is nice to have ink in every color...

You don't?
justampin, StamperDea and wavejumper like this post.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #42
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by justampinView Post
Dear Past Self,Marry your new supplies with your old supplies. Just because it's retired doesn't mean it's unusable.
This is a great reminder.

It took me a long time of fretting over what people would think if I used retired supplies - especially in blogging, where you can see a reader frustrated because they can't buy that retired stamp. But, really, it's not about that specific stamp - cards are also about sharing and the sheer fun of using something that still inspires us.

I've since grown more fond of using my old and retired supplies. Especially given how fast things move! I don't have enough time or money to keep up with only the latest and greatest.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #43
Embossing Fanatic

so total hijack here from a newbie...misti or the wrmk tool that is very similar (and cheaper....)?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:47 AM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaKoalaView Post
so total hijack here from a newbie...misti or the wrmk tool that is very similar (and cheaper....)?
Welcome, little one. (and so it begins. with echos of 'said the spider to the fly, come inside, come inside' running through my head. lol!)

To your question, I have the first version of the MISTI and love it, love supporting the person who created it. The wrmk looks like it has an advantage in that two sides are open, so while you're re-aligning your work to fit into a single corner, you have more options as to size of your project. There are lots of threads discussing both tools, so if you're a research junkie, there's plenty to be gleaned.

Sooooo ... welcome, little one. come inside, come inside.

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 01-19-2017 at 05:52 AM..
StamperDea and MamaKoala like this post.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #45
Proud Fan Club Member

It took me a long time of fretting over what people would think if I used retired supplies - especially in blogging, where you can see a reader frustrated because they can't buy that retired stamp. But, really, it's not about that specific stamp - cards are also about sharing and the sheer fun of using something that still inspires us. -Creative Cardsea

I dont have a blog but I might say this about that....why do you have it? (not you personally, but anyone with this concern). If your purpose is to introduce new product to the universe, then yes, old would be a problem.

If your purpose is just to create, enjoy and share...then it doesnt matter. What matters more IMHO would be the constant message that lots of other flowers will do the job just as nicely, etc. People can case without the exact same stamp if they want to learn. Which Cardsea said.

If you are not making money repping a company...dont concern yourself with using only new product.

If you tell me the reader the stamp is retired so I dont spend months looking for it-I can live with that.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #46
Proud Fan Club Member

gee, I have fallen into so many holes (and no doubt will continue to)

To my old self (and at times current)
You have to practice and you have to use up paper to do it. Accept that. You have fought this idea from day one. If it makes you feel better, stock up on sales. It is NOT wasting it.

This wont come easily but stay at it
. You will master enough to make it worth it.

Doing a technique in a big run for holidays-is a good idea. After 50-60 times you learn practicalities about it and whether or not you really want to keep doing it going forward.

You are right to watch more than one person demonstrate something, even if you think you know how to do it.

You were right not to care if stuff was new...keep gravitating to what interests you even if it was passe 5 years ago. it is new to you and informs your overall creativity. Many things are not really new-they are just new ways to do stuff already around.

By extension...Unless you plan to do a LOT of something..the manual way is fine and you do not need the expensive electronic way.

Dont just make a stamp index, keep a list.

Resist your own phases. Eating grilled cheese sandwiches for three months is one thing...buying every cake stamp is another.

Use what you have BEFORE buying new. Additionally, even if you like something DO NOT buy gobs of stuff...pace yourself.

Take more classes from the beginning. Try online classes. Do sketches right from the beginning.

Get to Splitcoast ASAP. Best resource, teaching, and supportive place. Period.

Lastly...be patient. RELAX. This is supposed to be fun. Not work. No one is watching, grading or paying you for this. You are not used to the idea of just for fun for more than an afternoon, but you are going to want to do this forever. So languish in it, immerse yourself, experiment freely. Take your time and MAKE time. Guilt is ridiculous here. Banish it.
lylacfey, SherylH, StamperDea and 4 others like this post.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #47
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I dont have a blog but I might say this about that....why do you have it? (not you personally, but anyone with this concern).
This is a great question, and I thought I'd share my answer

I started blogging in October 2013 - about 2 months after I actually got into card-making. I always knew what I wanted my blog to be - a way to chronicle my creative journey, share with others and maybe inspire a reader or two out there. But I wasn't immediately sure how I wanted to go about it.

I tried to use others' blogs for inspiration. It's not that I necessarily wanted to be the next Jennifer McGuire or Kristina Werner, but their format and style of sharing seemed to work really well with readers. And having that "products used" section was awfully handy. I enjoyed using it as a reader, and I thought my blog readers would appreciate it too.

Also, a lot of the successful bloggers, DT and stamp companies themselves also mentioned in interviews that companies actively look for bloggers who make product lists and link back, etc. When I started out, I wanted to make sure I was "doing it right" and wasn't losing out on opportunities over something as small as linking products wrong or using old stamp supplies.

It might seem silly, but it's just a byproduct of being new at something. Once I had some experience under my belt and found my own personal groove, things changed. My blog is still a work-in-progress and I'm interested to see how it will evolve. But I'm at a point where I can say no to things that aren't working for me - even if successful bloggers consider them a standard.

I'm definitely grateful for that early experience, though. Though I didn't like the fretting and the worry early on, it did put me on a path of figuring out what purpose I wanted that blog to play in my creative journey.
StamperDea likes this post.