Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 12-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Cuttlebug compatible?

I have a Cuttlebug. Is there a precision plate that is compatible with it? I saw a precision plate at HobLob..Sissix I think... but Cuttlebug was not listed as compatible. I don't want to break my machine. Help, please?

(I've never posted a question like this before - I hope I'm doing this right).
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 12-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

I think the most important part of this is whether it's width is able to pass through the Cuttlebug. You'd need to measure the opening on the 'Bug, then compare it to the plates dimensions. When you come to cut, if it feels like it is a little too stiff, then you could adjust your sandwich depth, taking out one plate and replacing it with shims. I've found this a common problem, not with a Precison plate, but with how much embossing folders vary in thickness.
You also need to remember that no two 'Bugs are identical-the amount of pressure exerted will vary a lot. I've seen You Tube videos where the crafter puts through a sandwich mine would never take.
Unread 12-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

From Scrapbook.com, the Sizzix Base Plate measures: 10" x 6 14" x 18." According to a message board I visit at Paper Wishes, it will not work in the Cuttlebug.

Here's a thread that talks about a substitute for the Cuttlebug: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...e-t613534.html
Unread 12-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Yes...the width is very important. The width of the Cuttlebug plates are just short of 6". Something like 5 17/18".....where the Sizzix plates for the Big Shot are 6"....maybe a little more. I noticed Tuesday our local Michael's was carrying Cuttlebug plates again. I'm excited about that!

I have bought a couple of Sizzix dies that do a full card with a little circle fold. I had to really check to make sure the width would fit my Cuttlebug. I know that HobLob doesn't carry any Cuttlebug bug stuff. They have gotten away from the embossing folders that were the company's logo of The Paper Studio. At least the HL's near me Don't have them.

Also mentioned was the sandwich thicknesses. Good point too.
Unread 12-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
Matboard Maniac

I have the original green Cuttlebug and the Sizzix Precision Base Plate. The Precision Base Plate will not work in the Cuttlebug as it is too wide, as one of the other poster's mentioned. I have a metal plate that work in my Bug and helps make those detailed dies cut wonderfully. I have used the plate with flourishes and heavy base weight cardstock, by Gina K Designs, and they cut wonderfully in the Cuttlebug. I bought my Precision Base Plate for my Big Shot Plus and very intricate dies that only fit in that machine.
Unread 12-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
Glitter Queen

I miss the EF's that Hob Lob used to carry, and the other place I used to find them was a Mom & Pop store (terrific stamp die etc assortment in front of a Tru Valu) that closed this past summer. Thanks to all of you who helped with your responses-sure appreciate it.
Unread 12-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
Die Cut Diva

I have this: Cricut Magnetic Cutting Mat - 6? x 8? | JOANN

Here's a video: