Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2005, 03:50 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of Home Depot Bottichino tiles~Yikes!

Has anyone went to Home Depot lately to buy tiles for coasters? Before Christmas I bought a box of 8 or 9 for around $5.95. Now, 2 different stores have told me that they are $5.95 per tile. Are they kidding? I threw a fit and everything in the store and they wouldn't budge. I can't afford them at that price. That would make a coaster set cost like $25! I used some of mine other ones for a demo, now I wish I had hogged them all to myself.

Where else can I get them for a decent price?

Thanks in advance!
Colleen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 04:01 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just bought 15 boxes at lowe's for $5.98 for each box of 8.(Giant church event). The painted tiles aren't even $5.98. You should point that put to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 04:10 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I bought individual tiles at Home Depot for .49...unglazed and they turned out pretty good. I live in Canada, and bought them here. They were in the same section as the boxed tiles....check them out...I think they look good!

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

my gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 04:25 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Talk to the manager -- customer service -- they are WRONG. At that price it would be $96 a square foot, which is exorbitant and way off base. I don't think it should be that expensive, especially since most of us bought them last year for the same price I have two boxes myself under my desk as we speak that I got for 5.95 each, and the girl that checked me out was a stamper, LOL, and had bought some herself as well. THis was at Home Depot. also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 04:35 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Check out this link -- these are the mini ones that are on the mesh, but just to show you price-wise, it is about $10 a square foot, not $100!! They are wrong --

http://barefootfloor.com/Marble-tile...-Stone/SLA_95/

I did pick up a sheet of these mini ones on the mesh and just peeled themoff the mesh, and planning to do either magnets or ornaments -- though as ornaments they are pretty heavy, so will probably do magnets since I don't have the drill bit either to cut the hole either, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 05:34 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default More questions about coasters

Kookie Cutter, Your tiles are beautiful! Did you use chalk to color them in and do you have to spray them with a protectant? In general--do most of you use a solid square of cork on the bottom or just little felt circles? Also, what are your favorites sets to use on coasters? Thanks, nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 06:32 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I used stamped with stazon, then chalk and blender pen, and then I used a spray sealant I got in the craft section at Walmart...I don't know the brand because I left it at our trailer...and won't be going there till this weekend...any clear spray would work.

I also used Coast to Coast...and just left them black...and put some twine around the outside as an accent.

I think I will just use the 4 corner spots for backing, not covering the entire back...

Rebecca

my gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 06:38 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I had this EXACT problem about 2 months ago at Menards! The dim-witted cashier did the same thing to me and I pitched a fit and told her, "I can buy them at Home Depot for less than 6 dollars a box. If you think I am going to pay $6 per tile here, you're crazy." She called the flooring department, but the way she phrased the question, you could take the answer either way. She insisted she was right, so I left my $200 worth of stuff and went ot Home Depot and got them at the right price. I feel your frustration. I hope you can make someone there see you are right.

Cheap Therapy
My Stamp/Scrap/Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 08:05 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Honestly sometimes the people working in those stores, just make you wonder. Apparantly the day you were shopping the store was being manned by nothing but idiots. I bought my two boxes at $5.95. As other stampers pointed out at $5.95 a tile the square foot cost would be astrinomical. And also if you look at the price of the small ones on the mesh, it proves the pricing should be the $5.95 per box. I would get myself into the right frame of mind and go back and pound it into their thick little skulls until they see the light. Keep us posted.

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Holy mother of pearl... Please, please don't go into the store and fly off the handle at the first person you meet. Yes it sucks that you were told the wrong price, but perhaps that employee is new and doesn't know what they're doing. Having worked in environments like this I can tell you that it really isn't appreciated when customers go up one side of you and down the other for something you didn't even do. Computers can and do make mistakes. One wrong price entered and anytime the item is scanned it will show that wrong price. It's not the cashier's fault, it's not the department associates fault either. Ask to speak to management if you're that upset over it. Store associates are people too and you're more likely to get the response you're looking for if you keep your cool. I know that I for one was more likely to go out of my way to help a customer who stated their facts clearly without putting me on the chopping block. As an aside, I have seen people kicked out and banned from stores for harrassing employees and you don't want that to happen to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Default Tile

I didn't actually throw a fit. She called to talk to the supervisor about the price. Several minutes later (while the line behind me was stacking up) no one had answered the phone and I finally just walked off.

But this isn't just one store, my friend went to another store 240 miles from the one I went to and had the same problem.

Trust me when I say that she was already in no mood to help me. That is what put the spin on the experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 09:32 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send letters to whoever you can, even corporate offices and let them know that they have idiots working for them. They want to know.

Life is Better in the Village!

Last edited by mrslevite; 08-15-2005 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 10:14 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrslevite
Send letters to whoever you can, even corporate offices and let them know that they have idiots working for them.
Yeah no kidding! I actually just returned from Home Depot and came across this post. I bought some boxes of 4x4 tiles with 9 in the package and it was still $5.95 for the box. I couldn't afford it if it was that much a tile. Yikes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 04:13 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Home Depot

A friend had the same problem with buying paint at Home Depot. It was supposed to be on sale but the sales associate insisted that it wasn't. My friend finally went over to the paint section, ripped the sign off the display, and returned with it to the register. She got the sale price but was so frustrated with that store that I'm not sure she will ever return. She had a bad experience with buying an air conditioning unit there as well. I know never to buy anything at a store that subcontracts out their installation (as Home Depot does) because the subcontractors come and go and the service is usually pretty shabby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 04:20 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

After reading your post today I went into Home Depot. I'd been meaning to go and get some tiles so I can play with them before I start a hostess club. Thought it would be a great holiday idea. The tiles were $5.97 per sq ft according to the sign. And the box of 9 rang up at $5.97. I'm sorry you've had this problem with them. Sounds like a problem I had with ACMoore. Just write to the gm and the corporate office if you need to. There is no excuse for employees (especially the Customer Service personnel) to be rude and make you feel like you're disturbing them. Hope the rest of your day was better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Default Tile update!

Well, I went back to Home Depot today and talked to the flooring guy. Sure enough they were supposed to be $5.98 per box of 9. I told him the story and he said that the other HD in question is a brand new store and the employees just didnt' know jack. And that there was an error with the SKU # and it had or should have been fixed by now, but that I could have him paged if there was a problem. Also that some that was more of a gold tone was only $4.97 per box.

So, went to the checkout and had 3 boxes of $5.98 and one of $4.97. They had gotten the error fixed on the $5.98 one but the lady looked at me like I was ripping them off and started to holler at the other checker. I said that yes that was the price and if there was a problem I had double checked the price with Arthur she could call him. So she said that was fine.

Then the gold colored rung up $4.97 / tile. Great here we go again. I told her that Arthur had assured me that the tiles were priced per box, that was a square foot per box and it was that price / sf. She said there are 9 tiles in that box, how could that be a square foot. So I proceeded to tell the surly old gal how that WAS in fact a square foot. She still didn't believe me. Anyway, they called Arthur then they called a manager. The manager said ok, and then I still had to tell her when it asked how many to put one BOX instead of 9 TILES. Geez, and she wasn't fresh out of high school either.

Oh, well. I guess they are used to people trying to get one over on them. Wonder how many people they get one over on?

Thanks for your comments, I wouldn't have went back and went thru the trouble with out your urging. It took me over 40 minutes to get checked out, though with all the hastle. I don't know I guess I should have bought more at a time. Will probably have to go over it again next time.

Thanks! Don't ever give up!
Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2005, 07:28 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by altheazebrina
Then the gold colored rung up $4.97 / tile. Great here we go again. I told her that Arthur had assured me that the tiles were priced per box, that was a square foot per box and it was that price / sf. She said there are 9 tiles in that box, how could that be a square foot. So I proceeded to tell the surly old gal how that WAS in fact a square foot. She still didn't believe me. Anyway, they called Arthur then they called a manager. The manager said ok, and then I still had to tell her when it asked how many to put one BOX instead of 9 TILES. Geez, and she wasn't fresh out of high school either.
You'd be amazed how many people don't know the difference between a square foot and a linear foot.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2005, 08:53 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Oh God, I am so NOT looking forward to my Home Depot trip for stampin' Supplies. LOL. There's so much stuff I need to get but I hate dealing w/ all the employees that don't know jack.
Now I know most of it's not the employee's fault - it's the person who's supposed to train them properly that needs their head examined. Like seriously - if a person is going to work in the paint department - they should know something about paint ya think? There's more to it than just mixin a color and it really pisses a person off to have to wait 1/2 an hour to get an answer to a simple question b/c the person w/ the know-how isn't around.
Sorry, had to gripe.
Man, just think what it will be like when I ask for EMPTY paint cans to decorate!!!!! LOL ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2005, 11:16 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Gosh, I've never had a problem like that with the price. I think the only thing I encounter is that they sometimes are out of them.

Have you ever gone to a tile store/club? They have these cool tiles that are tumbled limestone. Oh, they are heavenly. I love how they pick up the chalk too. I made several sets as gifts. I'm so bummed I didn't keep a set for myself. Now my store is out of stock, so I sit here waiting patiently.

marlo
Reply With Quote Likes