In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default Converting stamps and more ??'s

OK, I think I am ready to make the switch. I have tons of shoe box size plastic totes full of stamps on blocks. They are now getting to be too full and I don't want to have to buy more but prefer to downsize instead.

I know there are a ton of videos that will show me how to make the switch so not needing that necessarily. I am looking for pros/cons for making the switch. Also how did you switch stamps over... not sure how to word what I am asking... did you switch to red rubber cushion type or no cushion?
I don't want to have to use glue every time I want to use a stamp to make it stick to the block as that seems more wasteful and I don't want to have to use more baby wipes (or anything else, if possible) to keep things clean, as that's more $$ too. I am trying to consolidate my space without causing more cost, if that makes sense.
Also, storage when I make the switch. I have a lot of photopolymer stamps and block less rubber stamps. I have tried various clear sheets, panels, to stick them too for storage but that has not worked for me either.
I'm clueless at this point.

Anyone who has made the switch, any regrets? What worked/didn't work for you? Hindsight is always 20/20 so looking for info prior to beginning this long, tedious?, process.
TIA.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast
 
jeaniebean55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 11,065
Default

Well, what evolved for me, and I'm happy with it is this: I have two stamp platforms, a MISTI and a Tim Holtz travel size ( but with two open sides any size paper works). The MISTI has tape runner on the lid wherever I need it and I don't clean it off unless it's interfering with being able to see through the door, which isn't often. That's the platform l use with my red rubber stamps and they are nekkid red rubber. I store the stamps in plastic pockets with a CS stamped with all the stamps in that set/ group. The pockets are actually from a hobby store that deals with coin and bill collectors. I chose the bill pockets because they fit nicely in some totes I have. A room full of stamps on blocks now lives in three totes.
My other platform is for all the other stamps that don't need help sticking to it.
And I have acrylic blocks that have TackNpeel on them for my nekkid stamps and blocks without for all the rest.
This might not be anyone elses idea of a good plan, but over time it's what's evolved that works for me.
__________________
If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't. ~ Jimmy Carter
jeaniebean55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
wyobart, dmcg, sue in so cal and 1 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast
 
jeaniebean55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 11,065
Default

Also, if you go down to the plain red rubber, you don't need the cushion on the stamp itself. If you have something with a bit of give under your CS you'll still get a good impression. ( learned that tip ages ago from a stamper here on SCS)
__________________
If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't. ~ Jimmy Carter
jeaniebean55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
dmcg and Firework like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
Hardware Hotshot
 
lynnewithane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,637
Default

I started switching over, but got sidetracked and never finished. I was advised to use the Aileens Tack it Over and Over. It works well. I think I mixed it with water.
Then I mailed a bunch of plastic boxes to someone here on Splitcoast. Sadly,I saved the wood blocks to craft with them. I used four of them. Threw one in my sister’s compost heap to see if it would decompose. She said it was still there last time she turned it. I really need to get rid of them, but it kills me to just throw them in the trash.
I really need to finish the project, but it’s kind of boring, and there’s other things I’d rather be doing.
lynnewithane is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
dmcg, AmpleStamper and Firework like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick
 
JBgreendawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So. Oregon
Posts: 54,420
Default

okay, I'll bite. ( I have been collecting stamps for 24 plus years now) So, the stamps on wood blocks numbered in the too high to disclose range...

A few years ago when I got a Misti ( I have one of the original ones and a few more since then) that really made a difference for me stamping wood block sentiments that were you know bought mounted crooked. so, I started buying packs of cling foam and I started out switching just the sentiments because, my wood mounted stamps were already reorganized into themes not set at that point. ( it works for my brain)

it took me a few years the only ones I had left on the blocks were from PSX and Diamonds. (recently I took some of the PSX ones off the blocks too)

because, over the last few years I have branched out and split up my cling foam sets ( Unity stamps, penny black etc) and then random wood block things alphabets.

I am almost to the point that I probably only have a few hundred stamps left on wood now. and I used to have stamps in 5 places to look in my room. ( I am down to 3 places to hunt) and there are not that many boxes to look through anymore) the unmounted stamps are all on laminated cards inside plastic envelopes in bins. ( some are in a baby dresser drawers and some are in bins inside legal sized metal vintage file cabinets. there is one wall of shelves filled with bins that is both clear stamps ( still in sets sorted by mfg) and sentiments of rubber in themes, with cling rubber sets that came on cling foam that I did not break up. ( tim holtz) a bunch of background stamps. the main pro to this is the hunting for that stamp you know you have time has been cut down.

no regrets, maybe only a mild wish that I had started earlier but, in the beginning I told my self it would be a waste of money because, I had already invested so much in collecting them and then I started getting arthritis in my hands and I find it much easier to stick the stamp to the lid of a Misti and do it twice to get a perfect impression. (so, I am saving a little paper)

and I am hoping this will help keep me stamping for many more years to come.

I buy the foam on amazon, and if you put a pack of this on your watch page, watch it a while ( the price goes up and down as much as 20.00 a pack on a regular basis)

right now this is in the too high for me to buy range ( the lowest I have seen this pack is 26 and change)
https://www.amazon.com/Crafters-Comp...2NH51WMF2AAF8K
__________________
~Stacy

My Blog
JBgreendawn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Well, what evolved for me, and I'm happy with it is this: I have two stamp platforms, a MISTI and a Tim Holtz travel size ( but with two open sides any size paper works). The MISTI has tape runner on the lid wherever I need it and I don't clean it off unless it's interfering with being able to see through the door, which isn't often. That's the platform l use with my red rubber stamps and they are nekkid red rubber. I store the stamps in plastic pockets with a CS stamped with all the stamps in that set/ group. The pockets are actually from a hobby store that deals with coin and bill collectors. I chose the bill pockets because they fit nicely in some totes I have. A room full of stamps on blocks now lives in three totes.
My other platform is for all the other stamps that don't need help sticking to it.
And I have acrylic blocks that have TackNpeel on them for my nekkid stamps and blocks without for all the rest.
This might not be anyone elses idea of a good plan, but over time it's what's evolved that works for me.
Thanks for sharing what you've done and what works for you. That is a good idea on the tape runner on the lid. Minimal mess and clean up.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I started switching over, but got sidetracked and never finished. I was advised to use the Aileens Tack it Over and Over. It works well. I think I mixed it with water.
Then I mailed a bunch of plastic boxes to someone here on Splitcoast. Sadly,I saved the wood blocks to craft with them. I used four of them. Threw one in my sister’s compost heap to see if it would decompose. She said it was still there last time she turned it. I really need to get rid of them, but it kills me to just throw them in the trash.
I really need to finish the project, but it’s kind of boring, and there’s other things I’d rather be doing.
I will have a ton of wood blocks when all is said and done and was wondering what to do with them as well. One of the things I need to consider before making the switch.
I am not looking forward to switching over but space is telling me it's time. I have been downsizing already as far as separating what I want to keep and what I want to let go but I have SO much stuff it needs to be done and now is the time to get it done. Interesting about the block in the compost. Maybe use for fire starter if you camp or have a wood stove for heat...? No idea.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
dmcg likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
okay, I'll bite. ( I have been collecting stamps for 24 plus years now) So, the stamps on wood blocks numbered in the too high to disclose range...

A few years ago when I got a Misti ( I have one of the original ones and a few more since then) that really made a difference for me stamping wood block sentiments that were you know bought mounted crooked. so, I started buying packs of cling foam and I started out switching just the sentiments because, my wood mounted stamps were already reorganized into themes not set at that point. ( it works for my brain)

it took me a few years the only ones I had left on the blocks were from PSX and Diamonds. (recently I took some of the PSX ones off the blocks too)

because, over the last few years I have branched out and split up my cling foam sets ( Unity stamps, penny black etc) and then random wood block things alphabets.

I am almost to the point that I probably only have a few hundred stamps left on wood now. and I used to have stamps in 5 places to look in my room. ( I am down to 3 places to hunt) and there are not that many boxes to look through anymore) the unmounted stamps are all on laminated cards inside plastic envelopes in bins. ( some are in a baby dresser drawers and some are in bins inside legal sized metal vintage file cabinets. there is one wall of shelves filled with bins that is both clear stamps ( still in sets sorted by mfg) and sentiments of rubber in themes, with cling rubber sets that came on cling foam that I did not break up. ( tim holtz) a bunch of background stamps. the main pro to this is the hunting for that stamp you know you have time has been cut down.

no regrets, maybe only a mild wish that I had started earlier but, in the beginning I told my self it would be a waste of money because, I had already invested so much in collecting them and then I started getting arthritis in my hands and I find it much easier to stick the stamp to the lid of a Misti and do it twice to get a perfect impression. (so, I am saving a little paper)

and I am hoping this will help keep me stamping for many more years to come.

I buy the foam on amazon, and if you put a pack of this on your watch page, watch it a while ( the price goes up and down as much as 20.00 a pack on a regular basis)

right now this is in the too high for me to buy range ( the lowest I have seen this pack is 26 and change)
https://www.amazon.com/Crafters-Comp...2NH51WMF2AAF8K
Thank you for your thoughtful, detailed reply. I appreciate it.

About 2 years ago I decided to stop storing stamps in their original packaging. I bought some shoe box totes and put all my similar stamps in the same totes, breaking up the sets. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about doing that but I have been happy with that choice. Now most company's are switching from wood mount and there are some stamps, I imagine, I won't want to switch over but we'll see.
I separated all my sentiments into smaller totes so now I have all my "HB" sets together, etc.; at least I did until I started buying clear stamps (when wood was not an option). I have not broken those sets up yet, just stored mostly together. Have not decided how to tackle those yet.


I am thinking of using 6x6 plastic envelope type cases to store my stamps when I do make the switch. Again, not 100% sure yet. Still doing research...but tired of having totes all over the place so need to do something.

Oh and I checked the link...over $40 right now. OUCH!
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
JBgreendawn likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #9
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

I think one of my biggest issues is losing the image on the wood blocks.
Was anyone able to save those images and use them?
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #10
Hardware Hotshot
 
lynnewithane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,637
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireworkView Post
I think one of my biggest issues is losing the image on the wood blocks.
Was anyone able to save those images and use them?
Yes! I peeled them off of the wood blocks. Most of the stickiness stayed on the sticker, so I put it on the gray side. (the cushion) . Then I cut it to fit so there was no hangover.
Then I applied the tack it over and over to the top of the sticker.
lynnewithane is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
lbirus, dmcg, queeky and 6 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Yes! I peeled them off of the wood blocks. Most of the stickiness stayed on the sticker, so I put it on the gray side. (the cushion) . Then I cut it to fit so there was no hangover.
Then I applied the tack it over and over to the top of the sticker.
That is music to my ears. Love the images on the stamps so I can see what I am stamping. LOL.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #12
Hardware Hotshot
 
lynnewithane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,637
Default

Did you know that you pop the stamp in the microwave first? I forget now, but it’s 15 or 20 seconds.
I put all the stamps from one or two sets on a paper plate to pop them in the microwave.
I should also add that I used my fingernails to begin peeling up the stickers.
lynnewithane is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
shirlb19, Firework and debable like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:44 PM   #13
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick
 
JBgreendawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So. Oregon
Posts: 54,420
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireworkView Post
I think one of my biggest issues is losing the image on the wood blocks.
Was anyone able to save those images and use them?
I do not save them physically ( I shoot photographs) of the stamps on the blocks and that was the photo that went into the evernote computer file.


for the sheets, I stamp each stamp on cheap joanns fabrics white cardstock and laminate them ( cling foam sticks to this, so do clear stamps btw) so, I have a black and white line image on the card where the stamp is stored and if it was a color index sticker on the block that version is digital now for me.

there are photographs off and on ( on my blog) under the thumbnail of WOYWW ( what's on your wednesday workdesk) I tend to have shots of the mess a lot lately ha ha.
__________________
~Stacy

My Blog
JBgreendawn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Firework and Pampam like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #14
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Did you know that you pop the stamp in the microwave first? I forget now, but it’s 15 or 20 seconds.
I put all the stamps from one or two sets on a paper plate to pop them in the microwave.
I should also add that I used my fingernails to begin peeling up the stickers.
The video I am currently watching says 30 seconds but I imagine the smaller the block the less time needed. I have done that to reposition a stamp or two that were way off alignment. The video I am watching also shows the person using her heat tool to heat the stamp. That is a good idea as well.
Thanks for the reminder and telling how you use the microwave to be able to do this.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
bettyjoanes likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #15
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post

I do not save them physically ( I shoot photographs) of the stamps on the blocks and that was the photo that went into the evernote computer file.

for the sheets, I stamp each stamp on cheap joanns fabrics white cardstock and laminate them ( cling foam sticks to this, so do clear stamps btw) so, I have a black and white line image on the card where the stamp is stored and if it was a color index sticker on the block that version is digital now for me.

there are photographs off and on ( on my blog) under the thumbnail of WOYWW ( what's on your wednesday workdesk) I tend to have shots of the mess a lot lately ha ha.
Thanks for the info. I was going to use clear sheets but my stamps don't stick to that. I'll have to try this laminate method. I like the idea of having the image on the sheet so I know what goes where. I have a laminator I can try to see if I like that option. Thank you for sharing your ideas. I'll check out your blog.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:49 PM   #16
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

I found this storage option and I like it so far. It's called Stuftainer and comes in different thicknesses for different stamps. I asked on another thread but it's from 2013 so not sure it will get seen. Has anyone heard of this or tried these? I was wondering if they are similar or the same material as the old SU! stamp cases before they switched to dvd cases. Also, do they stand up on their own, have a flat bottom?
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
CherylQuilts likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:15 PM   #17
Kookie Creator
 
jeannemlehrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spencerville, Indiana
Posts: 442
Default

I have 15 IRIS drawers of Stampin Up wooden block stamps. I have decided not to buy a MISTI even though I know how wonderful it is. I have also decided not to buy any more stamp sets. I made the decision to use what I have and the old stamp-ma-jig works hard for me. So the only thing I buy now is SU paper when I use all of a color, envelopes and sometimes a stamp pad if a new color is totally different than what I have. I just really want to enjoy stamping the way I did when the hobby was new to me. I realize this opinion will be totally different than most other stampers.
jeannemlehrman is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pepperann, stampdreamin, dmcg and 6 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #18
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeannemlehrmanView Post
I have 15 IRIS drawers of Stampin Up wooden block stamps. I have decided not to buy a MISTI even though I know how wonderful it is. I have also decided not to buy any more stamp sets. I made the decision to use what I have and the old stamp-ma-jig works hard for me. So the only thing I buy now is SU paper when I use all of a color, envelopes and sometimes a stamp pad if a new color is totally different than what I have. I just really want to enjoy stamping the way I did when the hobby was new to me. I realize this opinion will be totally different than most other stampers.
That's wonderful. I don't buy much anymore either, for similar reasons. I have everything. I need to either use more of it or get rid of it. I have a lot of stamps I got for free, I would have never bought but still have for some reason so that is part of my downsizing...getting rid of any stamps I wouldn't use. I have a stamping platform but I still use my stamp-ma-jig, actually just used it last week, for my block alphabets. Not sure I will unmount those or not. Guess I'll see if/how I like the others being unmounted first.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
dmcg likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:29 PM   #19
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
 
Covington Crafter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Covington, WA
Posts: 4,306
Default

I unmounted all of my wood and cling stamps down to the bare rubber. After I've cleaned off any remaining adhesive, I write the manufacturer and stamp name on the back and for sentiment stamps a directional arrow with a ballpoint pen. I apply Ailene's Tack it Over and Over to the back of the stamps.

I stamp the images on both sides of CS, tuck that in heavy duty sheet protectors and adhere the stamps to the sheet protectors. I store the pages in notebooks by category. If the stamps are little, I laminate the sheet, store the stamps on the sheet inside the sheet protector. In addition, like Stacy, I've got my stamps inventoried in Evernote.

I unmounted the alphabet stamps, much easier to get them lined up without the blocks in the way. I've never regretted unmounting my stamps. So much easier to get clear images with a stamping platform.
Covington Crafter is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pepperann, ChrisO, lynnewithane and 4 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:59 PM   #20
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

I started unmounting today. Messy process but not horrible. The foam was wanting to separate from the stamp for several of them and did for a couple. I only did a handful so I can get an idea on how much I like/dislike how they stick to the blocks and make sure they hold together well, that I even did the process correctly before I proceed and ruin any stamps.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pepperann, lynnewithane, dmcg and 1 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:06 PM   #21
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
I unmounted all of my wood and cling stamps down to the bare rubber. After I've cleaned off any remaining adhesive, I write the manufacturer and stamp name on the back and for sentiment stamps a directional arrow with a ballpoint pen. I apply Ailene's Tack it Over and Over to the back of the stamps.

I stamp the images on both sides of CS, tuck that in heavy duty sheet protectors and adhere the stamps to the sheet protectors. I store the pages in notebooks by category. If the stamps are little, I laminate the sheet, store the stamps on the sheet inside the sheet protector. In addition, like Stacy, I've got my stamps inventoried in Evernote.

I unmounted the alphabet stamps, much easier to get them lined up without the blocks in the way. I've never regretted unmounting my stamps. So much easier to get clear images with a stamping platform.
Bare rubber, eh? Not sure I would like just bare rubber but not sure. I don't have any stamps with no cushion other than photopolymer stamps. I did have some cushion separation from the rubber and it was a pain to glue it all back together as it didn't want to stay glued. Not sure they will or not, so only did a few so I can see how awful I did them. LOL. If I get too many that separate, I'll have to consider trying just bare rubber.
I tried once to do the Evernote thing but didn't get very far and quit doing that. It was very time consuming and i just didn't have the time. Still trying to decide on alpha sets and I won't even think about that until I decide if I even want to continue with all the other stamps first, depending on how these turn out... at least going through the process I chose after watching several videos on how to. I might have to just choose a different process on the "how to" we'll see.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
lynnewithane and dmcg like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:22 PM   #22
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick
 
JBgreendawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So. Oregon
Posts: 54,420
Default

I really do not think you can "ruin" the stamps, if you absolutely really do not like them without the wood. ( hang on to the woodblocks for a bit) the same co. that makes cling foam makes foam to stick rubber to wood too. ( I know, I used to buy neekid wood blocks once upon a time and stamp index's on acetate and then ran that through an Xyron to adhere the index I made to the other sides of the blocks)
__________________
~Stacy

My Blog
JBgreendawn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
bettyjoanes and Firework like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:24 PM   #23
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick
 
JBgreendawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So. Oregon
Posts: 54,420
Default

I have heard of shoot airtable? and people are happy with it too. ( an digital inventory) if you do a search in the organizing forums there should be chatter about it.
__________________
~Stacy

My Blog
JBgreendawn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Firework likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:59 AM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast
 
jeaniebean55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: WI
Posts: 11,065
Default

Fwiw, you might try one set down to bare rubber and one or two acrylic blocks with sticking power (tape runner or tackNpeel) and see how it goes. You'll want to put your CS on a pad of paper or a magazine to create the cushion the stamp and CS need. I know some folk hate  the Stamp a Majig, but it's a handy tool to use if where the stamp lands is important.

If you like it (nekkid rubber, sticky block), it's a huge time and money saver to not mess with creating a cushion or stick on each and every stamp. If you don't like it, then you can proceed as you would, nothing lost.
__________________
If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't. ~ Jimmy Carter
jeaniebean55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #25
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I really do not think you can "ruin" the stamps, if you absolutely really do not like them without the wood. ( hang on to the woodblocks for a bit) the same co. that makes cling foam makes foam to stick rubber to wood too. ( I know, I used to buy neekid wood blocks once upon a time and stamp index's on acetate and then ran that through an Xyron to adhere the index I made to the other sides of the blocks)
Good to know about ruining stamps. The rubber was all OK, just the cushion kept tearing apart. I am keeping some blocks, just in case.

Debating on stamping indexes on acetate vs cs before laminating them.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:06 AM   #26
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick
 
JBgreendawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So. Oregon
Posts: 54,420
Default

when I tell you I unmounted mine from the blocks that meant I also removed the foam that makes the rubber stick to the wood. ( and I replaced it with cling foam) which pretty much makes it that you are paying for the price of the stamp twice to do that.

I did not try to save the foam that was keeping the stamps on the blocks.

some companies this foam had deteriorated pretty badly over the years, some it was hard as a rock, some the stamps were falling off of it and such. a few companies foam I have no clue what they use for adhesive but, let me tell you I have worn some of my fingers out trying to remove that ripped foam from the rubber.

It is probably more a lot cost effective to do double sided tape on a block and stick bare rubber to that then to do what I did. (which is what I used to do with rubber that I bought as plain sheets) (until I made the mistake of sticking a cling foam covered stamp to a tape covered block. ( that rips the foam right up)
__________________
~Stacy

My Blog
JBgreendawn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
dmcg and Firework like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:09 AM   #27
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick
 
JBgreendawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So. Oregon
Posts: 54,420
Default

the acetate was for making index stickers when I used to be in the camp that every stamp needed its own wood block. so, if I bought say set from SU that had 50 stamps and only 25 blocks you bet I went out and bought 25 more wood blocks and stuck them to their own blocks. ( no doubled ended stamps in my room) or places that the stamps were sold as bare naked rubber, I bought foam to stick the rubber to the blocks then used the acetate to create an index for the other side of that block.
__________________
~Stacy

My Blog
JBgreendawn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Firework likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #28
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
the acetate was for making index stickers when I used to be in the camp that every stamp needed its own wood block. so, if I bought say set from SU that had 50 stamps and only 25 blocks you bet I went out and bought 25 more wood blocks and stuck them to their own blocks. ( no doubled ended stamps in my room) or places that the stamps were sold as bare naked rubber, I bought foam to stick the rubber to the blocks then used the acetate to create an index for the other side of that block.
Thanks for clarifying. I hate the double mounted stamps! I have several. Never occurred to me to buy more blocks. LOL. I will be taking those off the blocks for sure.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
JBgreendawn likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #29
Cardstock Collector
 
stamp202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4
Default

I have a related question and I'll be showing my age as to how old my stamps are but I would like to know if anyone still has rubber stamps that were mounted on the old HALO system (the velcro adhesive). I have hundreds on this system which works fairly well but I'm wondering if you can remove them from this velcro? This stuff is tough and I've never had it even start to come apart from the rubber. Does anyone still have their rubber mounted with this?
stamp202 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Firework likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #30
Cardstock Collector
 
cmilliman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8
Default My stamp reorganizing thoughts

Hopefully this will be useful. Two years ago I was faced with my stamps taking up too much space. I removed all my wood mount stamps from the blocks and replaced them with foam mounting sheets I got on amazon. This foam works beautifully so now those stamps can be used with any acrylic block or in my Misti or Stamparatus stamp positioning platforms. Both platforms have removable foam pads. Take it out when using rubber stamps, leave it in for photo polymer stamps. If I’m using photopolymer with a block, I put a foam mat under my work for a better image. I have a lot of Stampin Up and Heartfelt Creations stamps which are in cases and organized on shelves. All my other stamp sets are in clear plastic sleeves with the original package backing if possible, labeled and stored in refrigerator bins. They’re the perfect size and it makes searching for a particular set. I have them organized by category. My stamps are now completely organized and the shelves are very neat. It’s the best organization I did in my craft room. Good luck with your project.
cmilliman is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Carol W, Firework and PizzaParty like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #31
Gallery Gazer
 
contrapat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KS. (the official middle of nowhere)
Posts: 6,945
Default

Just throwing in my 2 cents worth- if you contact someone who is unmounting, usually they will ship you their excess wood blocks if you pay shipping. You can get a lot of blocks in a flat rate box from the PO.
<style></style>
__________________
"I'm NOT a hoarder, I'm just REALLY GOOD at finding bargains!"


PAY IT FORWARD CONTINUES:


https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...l#post21698887



Cards request for Al:
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...l#post21294892
contrapat is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
dmcg, bettyjoanes and Firework like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #32
Cardstock Collector
 
SDunleavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3
Default

Ok so since Covid has me working from home office, which is also my craft room, I too thought about changing my rubber stamps and taking them off the wood blocks. Since I had extra time on my hands I went ahead and took the plunge. Here is the biggest trick. Put them in the michrowave for 10-15 seconds and they usually peel off the blocks fairly well. I did not have to do this with all my stamps but I did a lot. Oh man I'm so glad I did! It has saved so much space. I then coat the backs with Aileen's Tack-It-Over & Over glue. Then I put them on acrylic sheets I have left over from extra packaging. A little of this glue goes a really long way! The stamps that just did not pull off the blocks so nicely I added a new soft backing to. I used Sunday Int EX Mount Static Cling Mounting Foam for this. 1 sheet goes a long way for small stamps. Then I have everything stored and labeled in Avery Elle clear storage pockets. I have been freeing up so much space! And I use stamps that I have not used in years now that I can put them in my Misti!
Minnesota Stamper
SDunleavy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pepperann, lynnewithane, dmcg and 5 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #33
Cardstock Collector
 
debable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 8
Default

It is SO worth unmounting the wood stamps! Like SDunleavy, I microwave a few seconds, Use Tack it over and over again or easy mount. I use clear envelopes and sort by category. Store in 5 refrigerator type bins. They are so accessible!

So far have saved blocks. If I ever get grandchildren I will paint or modgepodge them.

I use Pinterest to catalog my supplies. Then I have easy access to it.
debable is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Firework and desertdeb like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #34
Hardware Hotshot
 
lynnewithane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,637
Default

How do you use Pinterest to catalog supplies?
lynnewithane is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Firework likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #35
Hardware Hotshot
 
lynnewithane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,637
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp202View Post
I have a related question and I'll be showing my age as to how old my stamps are but I would like to know if anyone still has rubber stamps that were mounted on the old HALO system (the velcro adhesive). I have hundreds on this system which works fairly well but I'm wondering if you can remove them from this velcro? This stuff is tough and I've never had it even start to come apart from the rubber. Does anyone still have their rubber mounted with this?
I have never even heard of this. Any chance you can share a picture? Are they from a particular company, or many companies?
lynnewithane is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
bettyjoanes and Firework like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #36
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member
 
CherylQuilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 5,311
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireworkView Post
I found this storage option and I like it so far. It's called Stuftainer and comes in different thicknesses for different stamps. I asked on another thread but it's from 2013 so not sure it will get seen. Has anyone heard of this or tried these? I was wondering if they are similar or the same material as the old SU! stamp cases before they switched to dvd cases. Also, do they stand up on their own, have a flat bottom?
Nancy (stiz2003) suggested Stuftainers to me, and I am now putting wood blocks that I want to keep as wood in them. I get the Thicker size and mostly use them for wood block stamps that I may sell someday or want to keep them on wood so I don't diminish the resale value. For those I use my Stamp-a-ma-jig or use the wood "jig" my DH made me after seeing Dina's tutorial for using wood blocks in a MISTI with Duplo blocks.

Stuftainers are available at Scrapbook.com and 123Stitch.com. Just search for them on each site.

They stack wonderfully and are as strong as the old SU containers IMO. I love being able to see the stamps on one level, and I label the boxes. If you get them, be sure to remove the label SLOWLY. Patience pays off!
__________________
Cheryl 
Proverbs 3:5-6
CherylQuilts is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Firework likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #37
Inking Addict
 
vestamc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 99
Default

Just a note on Aileens Tack It Over and Over. It does not work well in very humid weather. It turns turns goopy and I had to remove it.
vestamc is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Firework likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #38
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

I can't live without having images on the stamps themselves. Another obstacle for me.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
bettyjoanes likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #39
Rubber Obsessor
 
Firework's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherylQuiltsView Post
Nancy (stiz2003) suggested Stuftainers to me, and I am now putting wood blocks that I want to keep as wood in them. I get the Thicker size and mostly use them for wood block stamps that I may sell someday or want to keep them on wood so I don't diminish the resale value. For those I use my Stamp-a-ma-jig or use the wood "jig" my DH made me after seeing Dina's tutorial for using wood blocks in a MISTI with Duplo blocks.
Stuftainers are available at Scrapbook.com and 123Stitch.com. Just search for them on each site.
They stack wonderfully and are as strong as the old SU containers IMO. I love being able to see the stamps on one level, and I label the boxes. If you get them, be sure to remove the label SLOWLY. Patience pays off!
I ordered some. They were out of the thicker ones so I couldn't order any of those but was thinking there are going to be some that I just won't want to remove the wood block from so will store them in those.
Thanks for the tip/s. I still use my stamp a ma jig, even though I have a stamping platform like the misti. I have a lot of wood mounted blocks and when placement is everything, I do use my old stand by.
Now I am thinking I "NEED" a labeling machine for this project. LOL.
Firework is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #40
Rubber Obsessor
 
DebbieinOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 213
Default

So adding my two cents: I started unmounting my wood stamps early on when I first started stamping about 16 years ago. I usually take them down to the red rubber than mount them on the foam. I have tried to leave the foam on but haven't been satisfied with the affect and more often than not the older foam wants to rip and tear and anyways. And I am not that fond of stamping with just the rubber so I prefer the foam. At the time I started, storing the stamps in CD cases (you just take the inserts out) was the "thing". I have many many CD cases now stored in several CD holders (baskets). They contain the masses really well and I have them stacked in the closet. It is pretty easy to get to everything. My stamps are organized by themes: animals, flowers, trees, misc., etc. I don't keep a pic of the stamp on the back -- even some of the stamp companies like Artistic Impressions don't have the image on the foam. But I did scan each image and then printed a 5x8 card with the image and manufacturing info. I make those cards for my transparent sets. That way when I need an image I can thumb through the cards to see what I really have instead of what I remember I have (my transparent sets are stored in notebooks so everything isn't together). Can't tell you how many times another stamp pops out and says "use me instead". It's a lot of work and I don't know if I would tackle it if I was starting fresh with a big collection, but I am really glad I have it. And, if you think you would want that I strongly recommend doing it a few at a time -- like when you remove them from the blocks -- so it doesn't feel so overwhelming. I now have three photo boxes with the cards, so it's a bit of a storage issue too. Also, I saved the wood blocks for several years and finally decided to let go. Sadly because they are treated they just have to go into the rubbish bin -- they can't be recycled or composted. Good luck.
DebbieinOC is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Firework likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off