In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #81
Forum Fanatic
 
monkeymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Secret Sister Land
Posts: 9,705
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcerView Post
I do know that NameMedia wants to add more benefits to being a Fan Club member (it's been said here in this thread, and in the big thread in Site Suggestions, too) . . . it's just a matter of getting the big stuff done first, like improving site performance.
This would be way cool! Although I will keep my membership regardless... I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! Thanks to all who help to make it the great resource it is!
__________________
Angela

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo
monkeymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #82
Kookie Creator
 
shadowkat1283's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 436
Default

I haven't been a Fan Club member for very long. I joined because I spend so much of my time here and I felt like I should give something back. I think I'm here more than any site on the Internet. Some days I post and some days I just lurk but I always learn something. I get so much inspiration from this site and from the people here. I credit this site for getting me out of a rut and making me think differently about doing the same old cards over and over. Now I'm trying new techniques and new layouts and I think (I hope) that my work is getting better because of it.

Kathy
__________________
Please visit my very small Gallery
Proud Air Force Wife
shadowkat1283 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #83
Kookie Creator
 
cmesinden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 350
Default

I have been a member of the community for a number of years and love the information and inspiration I receive from this site. I joined the Fan Club about 1+ years ago (and renewed right after the buy out). I did not join for the longest time simply because I didn't have the extra cash. It may be only a few pennies a day, but for some of us at certain points in our lives we just don't have the extra no matter how small.

It has been mentioned that to have a gallery (or larger gallery) there should be a fee. I disagree. With all the options available to people now I see the galleries going down hill and the draw to the site going down as well with the fewer uploads. It is sad to see cards/projects that do not get viewed much but to have the diversity in projects is important. If people had to pay to share here I think all of us would miss out on a lot of beautiful work.

What benefits do I receive? Nothing much. I am happy to support the site that has given so much to me but I don't upload cards (the whole is it original, is it a case because I used a ... even if I hadn't ever seen the card... issue keeps me from wanting to share), and the DD gallery and forum have never had much of a draw to me. Beautiful work and all but typically not to my tastes.

I think the part I miss most about the "older" site is that SU, though still very much in the fore front is losing ground on the site. I love SU and pretty much am exclusive to them. I miss the simple, pretty, do-able style cards. I love and miss seeing what look like "quick cards". I don't have a ton of stamping time so when I look for inspiration or to see if I like a stamp set enough to buy it those are the features I am looking for.

Sorry for the ramble and I hope you could follow my point. I guess what I am saying is I don't want the "free" to change but it would be nice to get a small perk that would be a nice bonus for a person like me. Just a quiet little SU stamper who still uses (for the most part) the same 30 or so layouts that I learned from my demo the first year I got into stamping.
__________________
Christine S.
cmesinden is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #84
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Doodah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dreaming about playing in Sher's Craftroom!!!!
Posts: 10,503
Default

Okay...did I miss something??? When was SCS sold and who own's it now?? OMG I missed that??? SOmeone please tell me what happened???

Thanks
__________________
DEBS
"HAPPY NEW YEAR"
Doodah is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #85
Pearl-ExPert
 
pigfingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,829
Default

I love being a member, I love this site.

The months that I let my membership lapse KILLED me to not see the Dirty Dozen gallery each month. I am truly inspired by them and their galleries and it is worth every penny. If I had to choose I would give up any subscription to any magazine to pay for this. I get 1000 more ideas here than from any magazine I have ever subscribed to ever.
pigfingers is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #86
Pearl-ExPert
 
Crafts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Front Range
Posts: 2,898
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoodahView Post
Okay...did I miss something??? When was SCS sold and who own's it now?? OMG I missed that??? SOmeone please tell me what happened???...
NameMedia is the new owner. Here's Daven's announcement from mid-July: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...id=748_0_1_0_C
__________________
-- Judi M.
Crafts is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #87
Splitcoast Hall of Fame
 
JulieHRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 17,869
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoodahView Post
Okay...did I miss something??? When was SCS sold and who own's it now?? OMG I missed that??? SOmeone please tell me what happened???

Thanks
Geeze, Debs, where ya' been?!!!

Just teasin' ya'.

SCS was sold to NameMedia. Daven now works for NameMedia full-time, overseeing SCS.

NameMedia does not intend to make massive changes to SCS, is seeking first to improve site performance, and then to enhance Fan Club. They seem like nice peeps from all I've seen. Daven likes and trust 'em, Jenn likes and trusts 'em; that's 'nuff for me. I know Daven is excited that with NameMedia in the picture, there is an opportunity to do things with SCS that he would have been unable to without their background and expertise.

It's all good.
__________________
JulieHRR
papertrufflez.com
"So shines a good deed in a weary world." -Willy Wonka
JulieHRR is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #88
Splitcoast Hall of Fame
 
JulieHRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 17,869
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmesindenView Post
. . . I think the part I miss most about the "older" site is that SU, though still very much in the fore front is losing ground on the site. I love SU and pretty much am exclusive to them.
Thanks to the generosity of demonstrators and consumers alike that share their SU! creations, the SU! galleries here are substantial (IMHO), and contain more ideas than anyone could possibly execute in a life-time! I think SCS has made it very easy, too, to simply go straight to those galleries and bypass anything that doesn't interest a viewer?

Quote:

I miss the simple, pretty, do-able style cards. I love and miss seeing what look like "quick cards". I don't have a ton of stamping time so when I look for inspiration or to see if I like a stamp set enough to buy it those are the features I am looking for.

Sorry for the ramble and I hope you could follow my point. I guess what I am saying is I don't want the "free" to change but it would be nice to get a small perk that would be a nice bonus for a person like me. Just a quiet little SU stamper who still uses (for the most part) the same 30 or so layouts that I learned from my demo the first year I got into stamping.
If you'll use the keyword "CAS" you'll find card designs that are referred to as Clean & Simple, altho there will more than likely be non-SU! stamps also featured in those designs. You can also try "SUO", which stands for SU! only, to filter those designs into your search results.

You'll be amazed at how keywords (when we remember to use them during upload, and during searches) help you find what you're looking for in the galleries--totally increases the power of the search engine!

At any rate, I can guarantee you will not find a larger SU! database of ideas anywhere else on the www.

HTH,
__________________
JulieHRR
papertrufflez.com
"So shines a good deed in a weary world." -Willy Wonka
JulieHRR is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #89
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Dorinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: On my new laptop!
Posts: 59,120
Default

SCS is a community and has many, many members who are all here for one reason or another...when i was a SU demo I got so much more training and education and business related ideas here at SCS than I did anywhere else.
As a non-demo and branching out and buying from many newer and fun companies I find inspiration here by the boat loads, resources galore and funny enough I have some very important and lasting friendships here. When I have the $ to keep my memebership active, and there have been times when I had no $ to keep it, I like to have it ( fan club memebership )to show my support to a community that I love. This is my personal decision weather the site needs my $ or not, to me it is part of giving back to the community that has given me volumes each day here since I have become a member. I am love having instant uploads for the gallery that for me is enough to join, the DD gallery is always beautiful and full of amazing talent as is the regular gallery on a daily basis. The information available on this site is outstanding and not available anywhere else that I know of or care about
That is my reason for being a fan club memeber and renewing when I can. In the past I passed on a membership to deserving member of the SCS community, I did so anonymously and it was a great feeling to be able to share that with someone else.
The staff and admin's here at SCS are amazing and always go above and beyond their callof duty for allof crazy wide eyed stampers out there. I like to think that my continued membership in the Fan Club is my way of thanking all of the folks who make SCS what it is today and what it canbe in the future.
__________________
Dorinda

Dorinda is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #90
Pearl-ExPert
 
KimberlyinMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,974
Default

I recently re-joined because it seems like I create more on the weekends and tend to want to upload on Sundays.
__________________
"There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness." -- Dave Barry
KimberlyinMN is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #91
Polyshrink Goddess
 
olivia'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bath, NY
Posts: 566
Default

I am in my second year of membership here on SCS. I stalked for a long time, every day, hours at a time. I was getting such a benefit from this site, I actually felt guilty about not contributing. I do not have a huge gallery, waiting for uploads wouldn't be a problem and as some people said the DD is nice to look at but I could never duplicate their projects - so my reason for membership is simply because I get so much out of it - without the perks.

I also love that they have embraced so many of the other stamp companies for us to see.
__________________
My Meager Gallery
olivia'smom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #92
Splitcoast Hall of Fame
 
JulieHRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 17,869
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
At any rate, I can guarantee you will not find a larger SU! database of ideas anywhere else on the www.

HTH,
Actually, I should clarify that even more . . .

The SCS Gallery is the single largest database of stamping related projects and ideas of its kind on the entire www!

There are well over half a million in there and it increases daily by an average of 1,000 images uploaded. Sweet Mother of Pearl!
__________________
JulieHRR
papertrufflez.com
"So shines a good deed in a weary world." -Willy Wonka
JulieHRR is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #93
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Dorinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: On my new laptop!
Posts: 59,120
Default

__________________
Dorinda

Dorinda is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:03 AM   #94
Crimping Master
 
tay0479's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,183
Default

I admit I was on SCS long before I became a member. I guess it is the simple things that got me (instant uploads and Sunday uploads). It is after all only $2.00 a month. You can't get a magazine subscription for that and you wouldn't get half of the information that you do here. I love it and even though I don't fully utilize my membership benefits I will continue to support this awesome site.
__________________
Jill-
My Gallery

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
tay0479 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #95
Crimping Master
 
tay0479's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,183
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Actually, I should clarify that even more . . .

The SCS Gallery is the single largest database of stamping related projects and ideas of its kind on the entire www!

There are well over half a million in there and it increases daily by an average of 1,000 images uploaded. Sweet Mother of Pearl!
OMG!!! That's huge. I knew there was alot but THAT many. WOW!
__________________
Jill-
My Gallery

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
tay0479 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #96
Polyshrink Goddess
 
RAWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zanesville, Ohio
Posts: 536
Default

I am a member here because of all the inspiration I get from this site. I received a stamping magazine in the mail that I subscribe to. It comes every 2 months, it was thin, it had nothing in it that inspired me, and had lots of ads. Here I can find lots of ideas by either searching by stamp company, stamp name, or technique whenever I like. I don't mind the ads. I am always interested in new products and companies. It's a great site and I spend lots of time here.
RAWS is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #97
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Doodah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dreaming about playing in Sher's Craftroom!!!!
Posts: 10,503
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Geeze, Debs, where ya' been?!!!

Just teasin' ya'.

SCS was sold to NameMedia. Daven now works for NameMedia full-time, overseeing SCS.

NameMedia does not intend to make massive changes to SCS, is seeking first to improve site performance, and then to enhance Fan Club. They seem like nice peeps from all I've seen. Daven likes and trust 'em, Jenn likes and trusts 'em; that's 'nuff for me. I know Daven is excited that with NameMedia in the picture, there is an opportunity to do things with SCS that he would have been unable to without their background and expertise.

It's all good.
Thanks Jul's.. I was shakin in my boots I'm glad Daven trusts them that makes me feel more at ease!!!

mwah~
__________________
DEBS
"HAPPY NEW YEAR"
Doodah is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #98
Rubber Obsessor
 
wpw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 177
Default

Just wanted to say that I have been on here only for a couple of months really and I didn't even know there was something to subscribe to!

I would agree that having a 24 hour preview day would be neat, especially since I don't know much about the DD (is that Dirty Dozen? I saw that term somewhere and wasn't really sure what it meant!) design team gallery and don't know what I am missing!

I'll have to go investigate the home page more.... I have to admit I only have the forum homepage bookmarked so I don't visit the homepage often at all...
wpw08 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #99
Kookie Creator
 
skm330mks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 422
Default

I pay the fee and don't really use ANY of the "perks" or "incentives".
The reason I pay is because I use this site. Plain and simple.
It costs money to run, and why would I expect someone to spend all their time running this place for nuttin??
__________________
Sharon
skm330mks is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #100
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
TruCarMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Claremore, OK
Posts: 3,435
Default

Wow. I just found this thread and feel a need to share my POV.

I found SCS when I was at a place in my life that I needed something, but didn't know what that 'something' was. I had just bought a few stamps from an SU! demo and saw her show her stamp club a cool technique she credited as coming from Splitcoast (faux postage). When I got home, I looked up the address. I tentatively uploaded the very first card I ever made, and I got feedback from people I didn't even know telling me they liked my card! And that felt great. In all of my other crafty pursuits, I never had anyone to share it with, other than DH. And while he was supportive, he didn't 'get it,' KWIM?

I can honestly say I learned everything I know about stamping on Splitcoast. I've made dozens of great friends with whom I share a passion -- many of whom I've had the pleasure of meeting in person, several times -- in other words, these are true friends, and not 'imaginary' as we sometimes think of cyber-friends.

I know with 100% certainty that stamping would have been a passing fancy for me if I hadn't been fortified and sustained by this site and the people who make up this community. SCS has contributed so much to my personal happiness -- I'd just as soon get rid of my satellite/cable service than be without SCS, and this is coming from someone who loves her Project Runway and Mad Men DEARLY!!! It costs me probably three times as much as the annual FC membership for a single month of my satellite subscription. Like so many have said, the FC is a bargain.

Could I get many of the perks of this site for free? Yes, I could. But I love the instant uploads, and the DD galleries were a huge perk for me, too. Now that I'm actually a member of the DD (go ahead -- pinch me! -- still can't believe it!), and I see first-hand the commitment this dedicated group of stampers make to entertain and inspire the FC members, it really and truly awes me. I truly hope those of you with a membership do take advantage of viewing the DD galleries when you get a chance. Not for my benefit, mind you, but for yours. I promise that if you look at any card in any of the DD galleries, and you consider what it took in terms of energy, effort and imagination, you will be humbled. Not only because they are beautiful labors of love, each of them, but because they were made FOR YOU. Not necessarily for you to case, or re-create with your stamp club, or whatever various complaint I've heard some make about the DD galleries, but because they were made for you simply to enjoy. Do they tend to be elaborate? Yes! Why? Well, let's be honest: we're trying to impress and delight you! We want to WOW you, and we really care what you think!! Every month, the Dirty Dozen puts forth dozens of hand-crafted works of art with no other agenda than for your personal enjoyment. We're not trying to get you to purchase a single thing -- we're just saying 'Thank you.'

But back to my original point. SCS helped me discover that 'something' I was craving -- a creative outlet and a community with which to share it. That was priceless. I support this site because I believe in it, and I believe in it because I know what a difference it has made in my life. That may sound corny, but it's true.

I'm certain that today, someone stumbled on here for the first time. In a little while, she'll get up the nerve to upload that first card. She'll get some feedback, make a few more cards, and then begin doing the challenges. Soon, she'll start planning her days around the various challenges, and have a whole group of friends who first know her by her screen name and avatar... and the cycle will begin anew. You have to admit, that's pretty cool! And worth supporting.
__________________
Carole
My Blog: Mother's Little Helper | My Gallery
TruCarMa is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #101
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni
 
Jeanne S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Poofville
Posts: 46,758
Default

I couldn't have said it better Carole.

You just told my SCS story too. I was a brand new stamper when I discovered SCS. I learned pretty much everything I know from doing the challenges. Just having a place to do my thing, learn and hang out with a jillion other crazed stampers is worth 10 times the cost of a Fan Club Membership to me.
__________________
Jeanne S - Inky Paws
SCS Moderator
Jeanne S is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:29 AM   #102
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
Julesiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washtenaw County, MI
Posts: 12,779
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCarMaView Post
Wow. I just found this thread and feel a need to share my POV.

I found SCS when I was at a place in my life that I needed something, but didn't know what that 'something' was. I had just bought a few stamps from an SU! demo and saw her show her stamp club a cool technique she credited as coming from Splitcoast (faux postage). When I got home, I looked up the address. I tentatively uploaded the very first card I ever made, and I got feedback from people I didn't even know telling me they liked my card! And that felt great. In all of my other crafty pursuits, I never had anyone to share it with, other than DH. And while he was supportive, he didn't 'get it,' KWIM?

I can honestly say I learned everything I know about stamping on Splitcoast. I've made dozens of great friends with whom I share a passion -- many of whom I've had the pleasure of meeting in person, several times -- in other words, these are true friends, and not 'imaginary' as we sometimes think of cyber-friends.

I know with 100% certainty that stamping would have been a passing fancy for me if I hadn't been fortified and sustained by this site and the people who make up this community. SCS has contributed so much to my personal happiness -- I'd just as soon get rid of my satellite/cable service than be without SCS, and this is coming from someone who loves her Project Runway and Mad Men DEARLY!!! It costs me probably three times as much as the annual FC membership for a single month of my satellite subscription. Like so many have said, the FC is a bargain.

Could I get many of the perks of this site for free? Yes, I could. But I love the instant uploads, and the DD galleries were a huge perk for me, too. Now that I'm actually a member of the DD (go ahead -- pinch me! -- still can't believe it!), and I see first-hand the commitment this dedicated group of stampers make to entertain and inspire the FC members, it really and truly awes me. I truly hope those of you with a membership do take advantage of viewing the DD galleries when you get a chance. Not for my benefit, mind you, but for yours. I promise that if you look at any card in any of the DD galleries, and you consider what it took in terms of energy, effort and imagination, you will be humbled. Not only because they are beautiful labors of love, each of them, but because they were made FOR YOU. Not necessarily for you to case, or re-create with your stamp club, or whatever various complaint I've heard some make about the DD galleries, but because they were made for you simply to enjoy. Do they tend to be elaborate? Yes! Why? Well, let's be honest: we're trying to impress and delight you! We want to WOW you, and we really care what you think!! Every month, the Dirty Dozen puts forth dozens of hand-crafted works of art with no other agenda than for your personal enjoyment. We're not trying to get you to purchase a single thing -- we're just saying 'Thank you.'

But back to my original point. SCS helped me discover that 'something' I was craving -- a creative outlet and a community with which to share it. That was priceless. I support this site because I believe in it, and I believe in it because I know what a difference it has made in my life. That may sound corny, but it's true.

I'm certain that today, someone stumbled on here for the first time. In a little while, she'll get up the nerve to upload that first card. She'll get some feedback, make a few more cards, and then begin doing the challenges. Soon, she'll start planning her days around the various challenges, and have a whole group of friends who first know her by her screen name and avatar... and the cycle will begin anew. You have to admit, that's pretty cool! And worth supporting.

um, yeah.....what she said, and Jeanne, too.
__________________
Juliana

my blog
Julesiana is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:45 AM   #103
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
TreasureOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,707
Default

Thanks Carole, now I'm sitting here wiping my tears before they fall into my morning coffee....lol

So very well said and I agree with it all.

I would say everything I learned was from SCS and all it's members in the community. Yes, I'm a SU! hobby demo but I can honestly say my upline wasn't much help in way of creativity. It was from EVERYONE here. I thank you all for that.
__________________
Dawn
TreasureOilerDesignz
TreasureOiler is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #104
Watercolor Wizard
 
DLS881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calabash, North Carolina
Posts: 8,451
Default

I'm not a member of the fan club. I feel that that I can see many, many cards in the gallery that are DD worthy. As long as I have the choice not to pay to use this site, I won't pay. If or when membership fees are ever required, I'll make a decision at that time.

Hey, if I was offered a free magazine subscription - I'd take it.
__________________
Diane
I collect thank you cards for the troops
www.operationquietcomfort.com
DLS881 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #105
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
krystie lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bellevue, WA (Seattle 'burbs)
Posts: 3,070
Default

You said it all, Carole! Thanks!
__________________
Krystie Lee
CleanAndSimpleCards.com
krystie lee is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #106
Pearl-ExPert
 
Mrsjvb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pensacola FL
Posts: 2,546
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
There are well over half a million in there and it increases daily by an average of 1,000 images uploaded.

and to many people that's overwhelming. I'll be frank.. I get tired after the third or fourth page of a gallery looking for inspiration. I don't want to spend three hours looking for a card to CASE when I could be spending three hours making cards.


Look, nobody needs to justify why they belong to the Fan club..and nobody needs to justify why they DON'T. for some people it's well worth the investment. for others..not so much.
Mrsjvb is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #107
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
Jerri Kay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,606
Default

Carole, like Jeanne, you've told my story. Thank you girlfriend!

I read in an earlier comment that a woman said she listens to the radio, but she doesn't have to pay to tune in and she can switch to any channel she wishes by a simple turn of the dial, or nowadays, click of a button. I'd like to just add this: You may not be paying that radio station a fee for the privilege to listen, but you ARE paying to listen to the radio every single time you buy any product that has been advertised, i.e., Tide, Downy, gum, clothing, soap. In fact for any product you've ever purchased you've paid for the radio privilige, as well as TV privileges, and I might add if you read the newspaper, you've paid again as well. Do you really think the .50 or $1 you paid for the paper actually pays the costs of that paper, the editor's salary, the freelance journalists? Nope, you paid much more than that for that paper. Costs for these privileges are added into the products that you purchase each and every day, you just don't see what you're paying for on the price tag. Manufacturers factor in advertising costs in the price of the product. So the next time you pick up a bottle of laundry detergent, or a bottle of shampoo, remember you're paying for the privilege of listening to the radio, watching TV, reading a paper.

I'd like to add one more thing . . . . $2 a month is less than half of one meal at McDonald's . . . how many times a month do any of us pull in a drive thru?
__________________
Jerri Kay
My Gallery
My Blog - A Touch of Grace
Shout to the Lord, all the earth let us sing, power and majesty, praise to the King!
Jerri Kay is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #108
Hardware Hotshot
 
transprntbutterfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,154
Default

I've read this entire thread and by no means want to offend anyone, so that being said - this is my 2 cents.

I haven't been a member of SCS for very long and when I originally joined it was because I heard of it from a friend of a friend.

I stalked for a while, got intimidated by all of the talent, then stalked some more I decided it was pretty cool and joined. I thought about becoming a member of the FC, but wasn't sure if it was worth it. I needed time. I was just about ready to join the FC and then SCS was sold and now there are lost of issues with the site being down, problems uploading, and whatnot. I'm not real happy with the down time and how slow things are.

Right now, I won't pay for the site because I am waiting to see how it works out with new ownership. If the problems I have seen lately are any indication of what the future holds, then no, I won't pay to be here.

If things improve, well absolutley.

SCS is great. I have learned lots of new techniques, I love the challenges, tutorials and people I have gotten to meet (both online and in person) and I believe it is worth the 7 cents a day, but not with the time I spend waiting for the site to be available.




__________________
~michelle~
My gallery
My blog
transprntbutterfly is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #109
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
Cammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 8,394
Default

You are part of the dirty dozen????
Sigh....I remember the good ole days of the Carol Fan Club!!! I was wondering why enrollment was down to 1!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCarMaView Post
Wow. I just found this thread and feel a need to share my POV.

I found SCS when I was at a place in my life that I needed something, but didn't know what that 'something' was. I had just bought a few stamps from an SU! demo and saw her show her stamp club a cool technique she credited as coming from Splitcoast (faux postage). When I got home, I looked up the address. I tentatively uploaded the very first card I ever made, and I got feedback from people I didn't even know telling me they liked my card! And that felt great. In all of my other crafty pursuits, I never had anyone to share it with, other than DH. And while he was supportive, he didn't 'get it,' KWIM?

I can honestly say I learned everything I know about stamping on Splitcoast. I've made dozens of great friends with whom I share a passion -- many of whom I've had the pleasure of meeting in person, several times -- in other words, these are true friends, and not 'imaginary' as we sometimes think of cyber-friends.

I know with 100% certainty that stamping would have been a passing fancy for me if I hadn't been fortified and sustained by this site and the people who make up this community. SCS has contributed so much to my personal happiness -- I'd just as soon get rid of my satellite/cable service than be without SCS, and this is coming from someone who loves her Project Runway and Mad Men DEARLY!!! It costs me probably three times as much as the annual FC membership for a single month of my satellite subscription. Like so many have said, the FC is a bargain.

Could I get many of the perks of this site for free? Yes, I could. But I love the instant uploads, and the DD galleries were a huge perk for me, too. Now that I'm actually a member of the DD (go ahead -- pinch me! -- still can't believe it!), and I see first-hand the commitment this dedicated group of stampers make to entertain and inspire the FC members, it really and truly awes me. I truly hope those of you with a membership do take advantage of viewing the DD galleries when you get a chance. Not for my benefit, mind you, but for yours. I promise that if you look at any card in any of the DD galleries, and you consider what it took in terms of energy, effort and imagination, you will be humbled. Not only because they are beautiful labors of love, each of them, but because they were made FOR YOU. Not necessarily for you to case, or re-create with your stamp club, or whatever various complaint I've heard some make about the DD galleries, but because they were made for you simply to enjoy. Do they tend to be elaborate? Yes! Why? Well, let's be honest: we're trying to impress and delight you! We want to WOW you, and we really care what you think!! Every month, the Dirty Dozen puts forth dozens of hand-crafted works of art with no other agenda than for your personal enjoyment. We're not trying to get you to purchase a single thing -- we're just saying 'Thank you.'

But back to my original point. SCS helped me discover that 'something' I was craving -- a creative outlet and a community with which to share it. That was priceless. I support this site because I believe in it, and I believe in it because I know what a difference it has made in my life. That may sound corny, but it's true.

I'm certain that today, someone stumbled on here for the first time. In a little while, she'll get up the nerve to upload that first card. She'll get some feedback, make a few more cards, and then begin doing the challenges. Soon, she'll start planning her days around the various challenges, and have a whole group of friends who first know her by her screen name and avatar... and the cycle will begin anew. You have to admit, that's pretty cool! And worth supporting.
__________________
Carolyn King
My Gallery
My Blog
Cammie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #110
Polyshrink Goddess
 
memories4you's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 517
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
Hi. My thoughts on this have always been, why doesn't SCS give a one-day free day for those of us who aren't members to see what we're missing. Like what has been said above, I don't have worlds of time to spend here, so the gallery as it is is just more than enough for me. So, what am I missing? That's just it... I don't know!!! BUT if I had a shot at seeing it, there's a decent chance I WOULD subscribe. I've never understood why that hasn't happened. OR... has it, and I just didn't know about it? I don't come here every day, but you'd think there would have been a big tease about it or something.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Pogo.com does this ever so often. They offer a 14 day free trial for people to see if they would like to become a paying subscriber, and have access to more than just the free games. And some of the free games offer a few extra features as a payed subscription.
__________________
~~@Marcia Luisa@~~
Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance. -Bruce Barton
memories4you is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #111
Matboard Maniac
 
LetteringMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 321
Default

I debated also on renewing this time around but decided I would for another 6 mos. I mostly did it because I wanted to support the site as I've gleaned soooooo many creative ideas from it. It's an amazing place to me and I'm so very glad I learned of it. I may or may not renew again when my 6 mos. is up this time around. Not sure yet. It will greatly depend on what changes I see with the new ownership.
LetteringMama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #112
Die Cut Diva
 
MaryAnnK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Between the devil and the deep blue sea
Posts: 3,273
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by SammyStamperView Post
Thank you Jan!

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is now that NameMedia owns SCS. I'll still continue to pay as I love the site, I spend most of my free time here getting ideas which is way cheaper than the magazine subscriptions I used to have.
I agree, Samantha. I view SCS as an online version of the best stamping magazine you could ever buy. I've paid for magazine subscriptions - magazines are owned by corporations and have (sometimes way too much) advertising. I get way more from SCS than any magazine, so I don't really mind paying to support it.
__________________
Mary Ann
GALLERY
Fan Club member since 4/08
MaryAnnK is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #113
Splitcoast Hall of Fame
 
JulieHRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 17,869
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsjvbView Post
and to many people that's overwhelming. I'll be frank.. I get tired after the third or fourth page of a gallery looking for inspiration. I don't want to spend three hours looking for a card to CASE when I could be spending three hours making cards.
For sure. I use the search engine, and only visit the galleries when I'm on a mission to find something specific; time is a precious commodity, generally speaking!



Quote:

Look, nobody needs to justify why they belong to the Fan club..and nobody needs to justify why they DON'T. for some people it's well worth the investment. for others..not so much.
That is absolutely true.

---------------------

I think what is often misunderstood, and perhaps could use some clarification, for those who may be confused, or do not actually know what the SCS Fan Club is about:

SCS Fan Club Membership offers a few perks as a THANK YOU to those users that support the site, for whatever their reasons, with a financial donation.



That's really all there is to it, in a nutshell.

It was never launched for the purposes of buying anything/access to anything, or whether or not the art contained within the DD galleries was worthy of a donation, etc.

It was launched with the intent to thank supporters, and to this very day, that has never changed!
__________________
JulieHRR
papertrufflez.com
"So shines a good deed in a weary world." -Willy Wonka
JulieHRR is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #114
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
TruCarMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Claremore, OK
Posts: 3,435
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
You are part of the dirty dozen????
Sigh....I remember the good ole days of the Carol Fan Club!!! I was wondering why enrollment was down to 1!


*sigh* I was going to just let that comment sit and have everyone thinking "Dang, that Cammie chick is mean..." but I'm too nice!
__________________
Carole
My Blog: Mother's Little Helper | My Gallery
TruCarMa is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #115
Matboard Maniac
 
evie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Creston,B.C. Can.
Posts: 215
Default

I used to spend a fortune on Card & Scrapbooking magazines, which just pile up over the years and when I finally get rid of them, I save only a few pages from each one. Since SCS, I have cancelled all but one and feel better paying to come on this site almost every day, even if most of the time I am only lurking. Another thing is that when I find a card I would lke to eventually CASE, I save it in a special file. I find that the few dollars I spend on my membership is well worth the money. Thank you SCS.
evie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #116
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
CuttersCallous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,708
Default

I have not read all of the responses to this thread yet, though I must add my voice. I have learned more here than ANYWHERE on the web (or magazine for that matter). To me, this is a treasure trove of inspiration, instruction, and support from the best stampers on the Net!! All available at my finger tips 24/7!! More than WELL WORTH the membership fees to me.
__________________
Rose Ann
Paper Delightz

CuttersCallous is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #117
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)
 
Miss Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,594
Default

Splitcoast is more than a place to share my craft. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE to drool over new stamps and accessories. I LOVE the challenges and I LOVE to upload and receive feedback. It's much easier to give away a card knowing it still exists in cyberland for people to enjoy.

When I was growing up, I had close friendships. I was even pretty popular in later years (High School). But life can throw you curve balls that change who you are. I don't really have friends other than my husband. I have trouble trusting people because of one of those curve balls. One of them has caused me to be very dogmatic in my fight to protect people's rights. I've endured great losses that have caused huge doubts in my belief system. I have difficulty in social gatherings (except for family gatherings or craft related gatherings). I am the opposite of what I used to be.

What I found at SCS is a community. I love the chat threads... especially the PIF image thread. Here... economics, nationality, disability, weight, and religion are not important. (Um... I don't visit Current Events ) Here... I have found people to be non-judgmental and unbelievably giving and caring. I recently went to a stamping convention with one of my SCS friends and it was like we've known each other for years. I had such a good time!

I am pretty much a loner in my free time. But I can log on any time and chat with a cyber friend or cruise the gallery and spread the joy of commenting on cards and making someone's day a little brighter.

I don't plan on getting wrapped up in who bought the site or what the perks may be of fan club membership. My fan club membership is my thank you for providing such a happy place for me to go.

If you made it this far, thank for reading my 2 cents.
__________________
Miss Boo - a.k.a. jen70 
SCS Fan Club Member since 2005  
Retired Challenge Hostess (2005-2014) 
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Miss Boo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #118
Stazon Splitcoast
 
mmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington
Posts: 11,442
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss BooView Post
Splitcoast is more than a place to share my craft. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE to drool over new stamps and accessories. I LOVE the challenges and I LOVE to upload and receive feedback. It's much easier to give away a card knowing it still exists in cyberland for people to enjoy.

When I was growing up, I had close friendships. I was even pretty popular in later years (High School). But life can throw you curve balls that change who you are. I don't really have friends other than my husband. I have trouble trusting people because of one of those curve balls. One of them has caused me to be very dogmatic in my fight to protect people's rights. I've endured great losses that have caused huge doubts in my belief system. I have difficulty in social gatherings (except for family gatherings or craft related gatherings). I am the opposite of what I used to be.

What I found at SCS is a community. I love the chat threads... especially the PIF image thread. Here... economics, nationality, disability, weight, and religion are not important. (Um... I don't visit Current Events ) Here... I have found people to be non-judgmental and unbelievably giving and caring. I recently went to a stamping convention with one of my SCS friends and it was like we've known each other for years. I had such a good time!

I am pretty much a loner in my free time. But I can log on any time and chat with a cyber friend or cruise the gallery and spread the joy of commenting on cards and making someone's day a little brighter.

I don't plan on getting wrapped up in who bought the site or what the perks may be of fan club membership. My fan club membership is my thank you for providing such a happy place for me to go.

If you made it this far, thank for reading my 2 cents.
Thank you for sharing your story! I agree wholeheartedly. SCS is more than a gallery. It is a community. It is so much different than just searching the thousands of inspirational blogs out there....it is a place to develop friendships and connect with others who have that same 'weird' passion for card making!
__________________
Maren

My Blog
My Gallery
mmbc is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #119
Pearl-ExPert
 
Tracy-Stamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,313
Default

I think it's awesome this thread was started and so many people have contributed thoughtful posts. No doubt the new owners of SCS are interested in our feedback so huge kudos to happy heart!
__________________
Visit me here ----> Durcan Designs
Tracy-Stamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #120
Pearl-ExPert
 
jazzytobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Greater Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,321
Default

I have nothing else insightful to add (beyond my original point) but I have read all the posts in this thread and it's mind boggling that if you look at what SCS is, it's a website.. that's it. you try and tell people about it and you say "oh it's this place with hundreds of thousands of cards, and there's the DD, and lots of challenges" and they're like, oh yah.. great.. (although the way they say it, it isn't so great... ) cause unless you're here everyday like we are, you really don't get how much a "Website" can change your life.. I never thought i'd be successfully creative at anything except music, and at first my cards sucked.. but like you all said, after spending too many hours to count on SCS, i've started to succeed!

so.. thankyou all for your stories. and thanx for this little website or whatever.
__________________
{Gallery} {Blog}
I design for: Stampendous!, There She Goes, Technique Tuesday,
SRM Stickers and Deconstructed Sketches.
jazzytobi is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off