Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-03-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
Sis
Insane Embellisher

Default The clear blocks for stamps

I am just going to be honest....I cannot afford all the size blocks. Is there anything I can put my stamps on that are cheaper? Thank you for your help. It is so much fun to be here and enjoy you all.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-03-2018, 11:56 PM   #2
Rubber Obsessor

Dollar store sometimes has clear stamping blocks. You can also get them inexpensively on eBay or AliExpress. Personally I bypass the blocks completely for the most part and use a CD case (DVD cases and hinged photo frames with glass tops are also popular choices) to make my own re-stamping platform.

You don't need every size, not by a mile. Just get one that fits most - if not all - of the stamps you have and go from there. Direct from China, it'll cost you a buck or two and a bit of patience.

Last edited by Embri; 11-03-2018 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Missing punctuation!
Old 11-04-2018, 01:47 AM   #3
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

You don't by any means need all the sizes. I started out with maybe two. You just need to more careful to make sure you don't have any ink smudges on the block that might transfer to your card when you use smaller stamps on a large block.
jeaniebean55, RenT and wavejumper like this post.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:55 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

a great tip someone somewhere shared for when you're using a smallish stamp on a larger block is to use a small stamp on the other end of the block to keep it level ... saved my stamping many a time!

Tim Holtz has a great set of 9 thinner acrylic grid blocks that are great for the traveling stamper and might be a way to see what sizes you use the most and then get those in the regular sized blocks. they're not as hard to get used to as I thought they might be, and fabulous to cart around. Depending on where you pick them up, prices vary from under $20 to mid $30.
here's one link: Tim Holtz Acrylic Grid Block Set-9 Pieces | JOANN
fionna51, RenT and wavejumper like this post.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

When I first started I took a good look at what size stamps I used the most, and bought a block to fit them. There's no rule that says you need every sized block, my medium one I used (and still use) for almost every stamp I have. I purchased one at a time and made use of Michaels, Joann's and Hobby Lobby coupons to make it more affordable.

wavejumper likes this post.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
Proud Fan Club Member

Most of us cant afford "all of a thing" in one swoop. We get it!

I agree with the above. I think my first one was ...4 x 5?

My advice though is I like the ones with a grid on them so I can line up stamps. I cant eyeball them straight on the block but dang if I don't instantly see the millimeter it is off on the paper.
What an interesting idea about a second stamp to keep the block level.

Anyway, another choice of what you can use...those small plastic boxes my generation grew up with....they come in a lot of colors but for this you would want clear. Gives you something you can really grip too. They start at 1.59 here but could be less elsewhere...you just dont lean on them hard.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/cle...=plastic%20box

If you have any craft store around you and look in the plastic shapes section you might see blocks-if they are not called "stamping blocks" they could be a lot cheaper.

If you can find clear glass tiles...a subway one would probably cover it all...like home depot or a hardware store. It might distort a bit...

Maybe something is useful there.
LizSwickley likes this post.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

If you don't care about seeing thru the block (I know, that's one of the best things about the unmounted system, but . . . ) you can put packing tape on a regular wooden block and the stamps will cling to it. In a pinch, I've used a flat-bottomed drinking glass; the dollar tree sometimes has glass cutting boards and coasters that work as well. They're more awkward and you can't see thru them as well, though.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh I just want to clarify that-when I said distort I don't mean the stamped image, I meant your ability to see through the tile.

If you find a clear glass paperweight might work too...

Or riffing off Cheryl's idea-a flat bottomed jelly jar or other condiment..
Old 11-07-2018, 04:28 AM   #9
Hardware Hotshot

Sis, if you PM me your mailing address, I'd be happy to send you some clear blocks. I have a whole bunch I'm purging from my stash. Tell me the sizes you'd like, and I'll send what I have.