Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Received 977 Likes on 626 Posts
Default CKC Convention in Kansas City - Help!

Anyone going to the Kansas City CKC convention in October? I have never been and wanted to see if anyone had advice as to what classes to take. I am overwhelmed looking at their website with all the classes. I mainly do cards. Thanks for anyone's help that they can give me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm going to be there, but I have never taken any classes... I'm not much help, am I?

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #3  
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Lori, It sounds like you have been before. Do you just go to see the vendors? Do you buy lots? Guess I should be saving up now....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Team Member

Honestly, I haven't been in about 3 years. I enjoyed the make & takes and did a little shopping. I'd love to take some classes, but by the time I figure out exactly when I can be there - the classes are usually full. Have they posted a vendor list for KC yet?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tracie,
I've never been to CKC - Kansas City, but I've been to CKC - Valley Forge. In the past I've taking several classes but each year I seem to take less and less. The past 2 years I didn't take any classes at all. I feel that the your work area is too small, your rushed and the stuff you make is OK. I personally would rather take the $ and spend it in the vendor faire and do a few make and takes there. HTH!
Marya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I have always been disappointed in the classes at CKC. I agree with Marya that you're rushed and the cost just doesn't seem worth what you end up getting. I'd save the money and SHOP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #7  
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Thanks everyone for the input. I didn't realize that the vendors had make and takes. May just do that instead of signing up for tons of classes. They did seem like they were very rushed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #8  
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Lori,

I think the vendors are listed here
CKC Kansas City Exhibitors | Scrap & Paper Corner
Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_mommaView Post
Honestly, I haven't been in about 3 years. I enjoyed the make & takes and did a little shopping. I'd love to take some classes, but by the time I figure out exactly when I can be there - the classes are usually full. Have they posted a vendor list for KC yet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I've been to CKC at KC for the past five years or so...and I was most disappointed last year (2009). The classroom setup has been changed, and people are crammed into these tiny meeting rooms and jammed into the hallways going both ways. Seriously, if there had been a fire, who knows how many injuries there would have been!

I usually sign up for card classes and the classes put on by Technique Tuesday. In 2009, I signed up for two TT classes. After finally making my way to a seat in the fully-packed room, I realized that crafting space was virtually nonexistent, so I just sat there and watched. For the second class, I just handed my ticket to the girl at the door and picked up the kit.

This year, I decided to bypass the classes completely and buy an early-entrance ticket to the vendor faire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I've gone for at least 4 years and plan to go again this year. I try to take classes that are for different or unique items or techniques rather than page layouts -- which I end up not using. In all the classes I've taken I've only been disappointed in one. I agree that some of the rooms can be rather crowded. This year I've signed up for 5 classes over 2 days leaving myself plenty of time to visit the vendor fair. I have a hotel reservation so I don't have to drive back and forth and will have someplace to go put my feet up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We just had CKC in Houston. Once again I made the mistake of taking 4 classes in a row.
Why this was a mistake:
1. Too much information to process in an hour. If they would have us make less items and take more time - I'd be appreciative.
2. Back-to-back gets stressful. Sis and I walked out on our last class (with apologies to the instructor) because we were just plain brain dead.

Take a few classes. Leave time to do a few make-and-takes.

Next year we'll probably take 2 classes each day and just spend the day oooohing and aaaaahing over the products and vendors.

These are just my opinions. I hope they help some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #12  
SCS BRAK Coordinator

I love everyone's input. I'm sure glad I posted this before signing up for classes hour after hour all day long. What was I thinking?? Kelly, if I remember right last year the convention was at a hotel on the north east side of Kansas City and this year it is at the KCI Expo Center. Wonder if the classrooms will be any bigger. Of course I didn't go last year but wanted to, so not really sure about the location.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I am going and taking 3 classes, (A year in Tags, Card Swap, & 2010 Latest & Greatest) spread over two days. I haven't been to a CKC before, but had a great time many years ago at a scrapbooking convention held at the KCI Expo center. I am also planning on spending the night and attending the Friday night crop. I attend to make it fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by taclaryView Post
I love everyone's input. I'm sure glad I posted this before signing up for classes hour after hour all day long. What was I thinking?? Kelly, if I remember right last year the convention was at a hotel on the north east side of Kansas City and this year it is at the KCI Expo Center. Wonder if the classrooms will be any bigger. Of course I didn't go last year but wanted to, so not really sure about the location.
CKC-KC has been at the KCI Expo Center for the past several years. Two years ago, the classrooms were nowhere near as crowded, so last year's setup really surprised me. I honestly thought that if someone tripped and fell, there'd be no way to get that person up -- it was that crowded in the hallways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #15  
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Kelly - wasn't for sure on that being at the Expo so I'm really glad you said something. I will be very picky about what classes I take. I appreciate your input. I am definitely going to go on Friday and spend the night so I won't be pushed. Do you do many make and takes at the vendor booths?
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaylorgradView Post
CKC-KC has been at the KCI Expo Center for the past several years. Two years ago, the classrooms were nowhere near as crowded, so last year's setup really surprised me. I honestly thought that if someone tripped and fell, there'd be no way to get that person up -- it was that crowded in the hallways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like to take lots of classes. The vendor fair has not been as big as previous years. Last year it was easy to get through quickly, IMHO. I pick classes where I can learn a technique and or just learn. I don't mind if they go fast and I don't finish, I can finish at the crop. Just look over the descriptions carefully and be very choosy how you spend your time and money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

How's this for planning a schedule with lots of time for shopping: my first class on Friday is at 8:30 and my next one is at 6:00 p.m.! I then have one at 7:30. On Saturday I have classes at 11:10 and 12:30. Obviously I left lots of time for shopping or just relaxing.

I agree that last year's vendor fair didn't seem as crowded as before. I haven't done many of the make & takes -- usually too lazy to stand in line! Since I have lots of time this year I may try to do some more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Team Member

Quote:

Lori,

I think the vendors are listed here
CKC Kansas City Exhibitors | Scrap & Paper Corner
Thanks, Tracie... looks like a fun list!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Kelly - wasn't for sure on that being at the Expo so I'm really glad you said something. I will be very picky about what classes I take. I appreciate your input. I am definitely going to go on Friday and spend the night so I won't be pushed. Do you do many make and takes at the vendor booths?
I have done make and takes at the vendor booths -- usually when I see an empty chair and need to sit down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I went to the KC convention last year because it is about an hour away from where I live. I was very disappointed with the vendor fair. I only got a few things but most of it was stuff that I could either buy for cheaper at Michaels or wasn't good quality items. I haven't taken any classes and I was going to look through them to see what was being offered so hopefully that may spark my interest into going this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Default CKU

I went to the CKU in Louisville for the first time this year. I did not take classes. I volunteered. I worked in the bookstore. It was a blast! For working you get vochers to use in the bookstore and vendor fair passes. I wanted to go to Nashville but it was cancelled. I would recommend volunteering to anybody. There are lots of classes to volunteer at or the bookstore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

A number of you commented on the limited space in the class rooms at the conventions. Would you let the show promoters (eg Creating Keepsakes, Scrapbook Expo, etc) know that you would like more space? The people who teach the classes only get to specify how many people they are willing to teach. The show promoters make all the arrangements for the space and the teachers are stuck with people packed in too tight. The teachers have been asking for larger rooms for a long time but I think if the promotors hear it from enough actual customers it might help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I am slow to respond to this and wanted to add my 2 cents. I've been going for years and last year was the first one that I've attended the classes. If you are attending the classes:

1) print out the class description and take it with you. 2 of the classes didn't provide what was stated in the description and I was able to get my other "things" by having the description with me.

2) do NOT take back to back classes as other stated here. By the time you pack up, leave the room, get to the next room, you barely make it and you won't have time to visit the ladies room or grab a drink. Big mistake last year on my part - booked the day full of classes and I was exhausted and frazzled by the end of the day.

I think all of us from SCS should wear something that identifies us to each other. It would be fun to see others from here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I went to CKC in St. Louis and I took several classes and they were ok. But I took a class that K & Co sponsored and wow did we hit the jackpot. First we made a double page spread and there was no scrimping on products. The class did not feel to rushed and then when it was over they gave us another set of papers and embellishments. We got about 50.00 in product. I am not affiliated with them in any way. If I were you I might take one class and save the rest of the $$ for the vendor fair. Save now because there is everything to buy!
Reply With Quote Likes