Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #1321
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

The Sketch Challenge is up:

Sketch Challenge 740 {03/13/19} - Splitcoaststampers

"Expectations are infinite. Time is finite. You are always choosing. Choose well.”
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #1322
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

That looks like a Celtic knot at first glance ( that sketch)

My Blog
Old 03-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #1323
Glitter Guru

Ways to Use It challenge is posted - Star Quality - stars with a bonus for gold. It's definitely one I'll do - and needless to say, it's perfect for a Christmas card.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Cook22 likes this post.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:16 AM   #1324
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am so glad that everyone has been posting links. So sorry but my art space/office with the computer is in renovation mode and I can't even get in here at times. I have got to get out of here now since the fumes are getting to me. Hopefully, this project will be a little closer to done by the weekend.

I did post a couple of cards today that I managed to work on in the dining room with all of my supplies helter skelter! I am pretty proud of that! LOL My husband is having a fit over this makeover so I am trying to help him as much as possible too. It was all his idea but it's gotten out of hand. He is such a sweetie.

Happy stamping everyone. I will try to check some galleries later from my tablet if I am not too wiped!
Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #1325

The MIX is up! It looks like so much fun! I am not sure what tomorrow holds but even if I can't create tomorrow, I plan to try out this background technique soon!

We may have chatted about this before but I want a refresher!

What are your go-to MIXes? To be mixed media our projects must have two mediums so if you chose to watercolor the background for this week's MIX what would be your other medium(s)?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:29 AM   #1326
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Angie's link has extra characters at the end which you'll need to remove by backspacing in your browser address bar...or this link will work at some stage: MIX320 - Watercolor Quilt (3/15/19) - Splitcoaststampers

It does look fun! Hope I won't be too tired after work. Yesterday was our bi-monthly validation test and training, so today should be easier.

I like to go with the spirit of mixed media rather than the letter, so I'll probably try to incorporate something different like acrylics or I'm thinking chalk or oil pastels. Have to see how the background turns out. Maybe stencilled texture paste or mousse?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:12 AM   #1327
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

And the F4A is a Spring or Easter card. Springs like action wobbles and pop-up elements are good too: F4A473 03/15/19 Easter or Spring - Splitcoaststampers
Old 03-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #1328
Glitter Guru

The Inspiration Challenge is up - it's the Pottery Barn so lots of lovely things to look at - another site where it will be hard to narrow down your choice!

I had a good crafty day today getting cards posted for Free for All and Ways to Use It. But a busy day tomorrow so might not get the Inspiration Challenge done for a few days.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #1329

Thanks, Sabrina for checking those links! I will be SO happy to have my space back and a routine again but for now I am buzzing in and out of my room.

So here is a question I am really curious about your answers.

There are some sites that international viewers cannot open when they are playing along with the Inspiration Challenge so they have to use what we select and add to thumbnails.

If you only had 15 thumbnail inspiration photos to be inspired by what would you like to see?

For instance, if I could only choose from 15 photos, I would love to see photos that were abstract, or nature, or bright colors or bright patterns. How about you?
Old 03-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #1330
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Angie,

The first time I did inspiration challenges many years ago, we didn't have links to a full website. There was usually only a few thumbnails. I remember that my first challenges were based on some home decor, perhaps catalog pages. I actually liked that format because it was interesting to see how Stampers interpreted the same image. I do like the current format with full websites as well, but looking at galleries for a single challenge it's hard to know what the inspiration was. There's no right or wrong answer of course but I think it's just an interesting way to compare the approach to the challenge. Having said that, I like images I have a wide variety, but similar on a certain day.

For instance, 10 urban photos 1 week, 10 Renaissance art the next, 10 photos of children outdoors the next etc.

Doing this reply on my phone with voice recognition. Hope it makes sense
ohmypaper! likes this post.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #1331
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Well, that was interesting. I looked back at my earliest IC which was in the late #120s and it was from a full site, but I see that before that most of them were indeed a single image.

I think the instances of international viewers not being able to access sites are fewer than the impact Pinterest boards had on people who weren't on Pinterest when the access to that changed. That, to be honest, was when I gave up, and then the rhythm of life changed so that stamping on Saturdays is no longer part of my normal routine.

I don't know if I can offer an opinion on what range of 15 I'd like to see, as I'm not primarily a visually inspired person -I guess why it was always one of the more "challenging" challenges for me. Design would be the most important element, followed by nature, probably. Sometimes I think less choice is better. We used not be able to add more than - could it possibly have been only three, or was it five - thumbs in a post.
Chris4436 likes this post.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:04 PM   #1332
Glitter Guru

When I do the Inspiration Challenges, I always go to the full website as I like to find a unique image that hopefully others haven't used. It's only occasionally that one of the examples on the challenge thread totally speaks to me and I have to use it for my inspiration.

As far as what I'd like to see, it would be a variety of things for each challenge so that hopefully something would appeal to each viewer - and because I need to make so many Christmas cards, I'd always be happy to see something that could inspire a Christmas card.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #1333
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

The CAS challenge is up: CAS525 ~ Luck 'o the Irish - Splitcoaststampers

"Expectations are infinite. Time is finite. You are always choosing. Choose well.”
Old 03-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #1334

I have my stamp in hand for the CAS challenge but my husband just walked in the door, he's home early. Noooooo! LOL

TLC734 is a fun one! I haven't tried it but I think it would be lots of fun. My daughter was given a small clutch by her Aunt. It's entirely made up of paper beads. I can't remember where it was made but it was a fair trade item! Very cool!

My question is very simple. Have you made paper beads? If so what did you use the beads for?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #1335
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I made some for a Dirty Dozen word challenge a while back - I strung them as a necklace with matching earrings. They’re in the Fan Club gallery CT1017 Paper beads by Angelnorth - at Splitcoaststampers

It’s a great way to use small scale stamps for your own designs as well as using patterned paper or solids.

My blog
Old 03-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #1336
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I've made them a few times but only to use on cards pretty much as I did today. I think they're quite fun to do. I like Joanne's suggestion of stamping, I've only ever used DP. When I was making quite a few, I strung them on wire over a shallow dish while the glaze dried. I noticed one upload in the technique gallery where someone has used three coats of embossing powder...not sure if that would be easier or not.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #1337
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Ps, Angie, your link doesn't work because it's got two http's in it. I always wish the link doesn't box didn't open with http already in it. Especially as the site is now https it's redundant anyway
Old 03-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #1338
Glitter Guru

No, I've never made paper beads and probably won't have time to do so this week. I just feel glad I found the time today for the CAS challenge and Saturday's Inspiration Challenge (had to get that one done as I found the perfect image that inspired me to ink up a never-before-used stamp).

I'm hosting one of the VSN challenges and have to get busy making some cards for that!

Old 03-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #1339

Sabrina,

Thank you so much. I will go change it. I think that happened last week too but my head was so fumy, I didn't understand what you meant. I get it tonight! Off to take care of it and now I will be more careful in future!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #1340

Too late to edit so here is the new link to the TLC734 challenge.

I just uploaded my CAS card. Just not enough time in the day for everything I want to do!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #1341

Joanne your beads are exquisite!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #1342
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi friends!

Made my CAS card and got it uploaded. Now I am trying to finish a card for Saturday's IC. I stopped for a conference call, but it has been postponed. More stamping time!

I have never made paper beads; definitely not in my skill set. It requires a very tight roll, and my hands just can't do it.

But, I do think they are lovely!

Back to my stamps...catchya later!

Old 03-19-2019, 05:30 AM   #1343
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Today's TPT challenge is "Old School" - with sock monkeys for a bonus. I used my old chalks for a popping pastels background (inspired by that card I posted here when we were chatting about our early uploads), and also older stamps, both at least 15 years old. And brads...No sock monkeys here. I did, a couple of years ago, buy a lovely sock dog to send a friend for her new grandson. Our cards this week are going to Kim in NZ, who makes sock monkeys to raise money - you can read all about it in the challenge.
MMTPT556 - March 19, 2019 Old School - Splitcoaststampers

The colour challenge is Flirty Flamingo, Lemon Lime Twist and Pacific Point: CC731 Flamingos Twisting by the Pacific (3/19/19) - Splitcoaststampers

I like blues, but pink is definitely out of my comfort zone.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #1344

Hi everyone! Here's the link to the sketch challenge! It has a nice big oval in the center.

Here's my question. Do you like to use ovals on your projects? Do you prefer circles? Would you rather use rectangles or squares or are you totally an out of the box kind of stamper and prefer shaped cards?

I prefer Rectangles, but I actually love squares most of all. I rarely make a square card though because I prefer the larger 5-inch card over a 4 1/4 inch square card. And that takes an entire sheet of cardstock with small strips left over versus an A2 which gives me 2 cards per sheet. I am still a fairly thrifty stamper!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #1345

So having made the above comment, if I created like this I would like ovals more!!!

SC741 Happy Easter by card crazy - at Splitcoaststampers
Old 03-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #1346
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I like ovals - but the Spellbinders ones I have always seem too small, and the Elizabeth Craft ones are a slightly different shape. Maybe some time I'll look for a large nesting set. They're possibly the first set of Nestabilities I bought, and when I do use them I really like how they look. If the ones I had were bigger, I would definitely prefer them to circles.

Squares are my favourite. Luckily we don't have a surcharge on postage here. I buy them pre-cut in bulk, I agree that it's not practical to make your own in terms of being left with odd offcuts. What I do is order folded ones and then single fronts the same size, which I can use if I'm getting messy with techniques.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:13 AM   #1347
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Cathy's WTUI challenge is "How does your garden grow?": WT732 - How Does Your Garden Grow (3/21/19) - Splitcoaststampers

I originally started my canvas for a different challenge and it's something of a fantasy garden but it has hollyhocks, which I've always wanted. It always amazes me to see them growing as wildflowers beside the road in Greece. We do get plenty of mushrooms in the front lawn periodically .
Old 03-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #1348

ha ha! Sabrina, we get wild onions in our lawn! When we cut the grass it smells like onions in our yard! Wow! I bet the wild hollyhocks are something to see!

Hmmmm, you have me thinking now about buying pre-cut. I am going to have to look into that. I sure would enjoy creating square cards if it was reasonably priced and heavyweight cardstock.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #1349

Ha, Ha on me! For some reason almost every Thursday I look for the new Free For All challenge. Of course, it's never there and I always wonder about it being late. Free for All is on FRIDAYS! Why do I do that and not once but pretty much every other Thursday?!
Old 03-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #1350
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

funny true story, I look for the CAS first no matter what day I am looking. it's what Thursday? ( I have not seen anything since the IC went live last weekend)

and when I first got Nesting dies Ovals were my first purchase because, all my stamps were too big to fit in the circles.
( I think I may have bought the grand size circles before the regular ones)

My Blog
Old 03-22-2019, 01:11 AM   #1351
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Think F for Friday, Angie! It's not up yet.

Today's MIX from Anna is a lovely Spring one... daffodils, pansies and tulips. I'm not in work today, so I have plenty of time, I just have to to think how to make it a mixed media project. I have a Penny Black brushstroke daffodil that I could try stamping with Brushos, maybe. I love tulips but still don't have a really nice tulip stamp.

MIX321 - Tulips, Daffodils, or Pansies, oh my! (MAR 22 2019) - Splitcoaststampers
Old 03-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #1352

Stacy, that is funny! I love the CAS challenge! Wish I could play it every week.

Sabrina, YES Exactly what I was thinking yesterday after I once again went looking for the challenge. The challenge starts with the letter F for goodness sake! F for Friday! Maybe after confessing my chronic mistake I will have it in my head from now on!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #1353
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

And here it is - Friday's Free for All. Wendy is asking for us to use our own favourite colour combo, 2 or 3 colours.

F4A474 - "It's My FAVORITE!" - Splitcoaststampers

I just love aqua/teal/turquoise and red together, with white or cream, but rarely use it.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #1354

That's a beautiful color combo, Sabrina!

Hmmmm, I am going to have to think on it.

I love pink and blue together but....I don't always know how to make it feel modern and up to date. I've loved it since I was 10 and created a Valentine box covered in pink and blue tissue paper. I think I need to go look at my gallery and see what I tend to use together.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #1355
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I love orange and blue/aqua and orange and pink. Orange and anything really. Ha! Also, as a Flag Day baby, I love red/white/blue. Hoping I get some time to make a card for that challenge after work today....

~Jen~
Old 03-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #1356

The Inspiration Challenge is up and it is a beauty! The photographs are so pretty and the site is huge!

The site has Bed & Bath, Home Decor, Furniture, Rugs, Curtains, Holiday, kitchen, outdoor, clothing, Styles, gifts, Sale.

Which category will you look under first?
I actually had a bird stamp I wished to use so, first of all, I typed in "bird" and found a photo which inspired my coloring but before I decided on that I also clicked "wall art" under Home.

I hope you have a very happy Saturday no matter what you do today!
Benzi likes this post.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:28 AM   #1357
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I thought one of those thumbnails was beautiful and that I might try to make a card today. But I've been wrestling with my old sewing machine for an hour - I wanted to use it because I was doing something to one of DH's motorbike covers. But every time I started sewing, the hook ring came loose after a few stitches and it jammed. So I gave up and used one of my other machines, but now I'm cranky and my arm is sore, so I don't think card-making is on my horizon right now. It's a great machine but I don't know if it would be worth the expense of getting it serviced - if there's even anyone round who still does such old ones.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #1358

Ugh! All seemed to be working last night but this morning people are saying their keyword is not putting their card in the Inspiration Challenge gallery. I am searching for the card if a link is left to their card under my post. So, be sure to do that.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Old 03-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #1359

If you play the challenges here's two things that will help get your card seen during this time when the cards are not going into the proper gallery.

Include the challenge keyword in your title, as an example, if you play today's Featured Stamper: FS633 - You make me happy

Second thing. Make sure to add your card link in the comments section under the challenge description: FS633 Like Julie has done and several others.

These steps will help us see your work!!

Congratulations to Sharon! She is our Featured Stamper! She has an extensive gallery and is such a joy!

Last edited by ohmypaper!; 03-23-2019 at 09:52 PM..
Old 03-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #1360
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

The CAS challenge is up!