Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2019, 05:47 AM   #1241
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Anne McCaffrey, yes. She was American but lived in Ireland. I remember reading and being enthralled by those, but we only had a couple of them.

Since I've been getting nothing but error messages for recent links I'm not even going to try linking to the IC, unless there's still no link here when I get to the PC, but Polly is the guest hostess and she has chosen the V&A gift shop. Talk about a rabbit hole (see her sample ). I worked in London for a while and spent many happy hours both in the museum and in the gift shop.
I got those errors, too, when I tried to follow the links.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #1242
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Sorry, I am so late with this. I pushed myself to the very end of myself last night umm early this morning and I could not even come over and post the challenge. Sabrina, thanks for mentioning the challenge. Sorry about the links issue.

IC691

Ok, so here is the question. Do you like to visit museums? Which one do you visit the most? Which one would you love to visit? What exhibits do you love the most?

I do love museums and have actually made a museum lover out of my husband! Actually, our whole family loves to go, how cool is that? There is a sweet little museum in Columbus, GA that we have visited quite often. It's free but it really has some wonderful pieces! Our most often visited is the High Museum of Art but it scares me silly to drive there so we only go on my husband's day off. Our daughter even took several of her friends as her birthday wish last year and I nearly cried from the anxiety. LOL
I love looking at the super old pieces! I am in awe of the techniques used and how the paint has survived after all these years. I could look at all the little cracks in the paint forever. My most difficult part of visiting a museum is that I long to run my fingers over the art, especially the marble statues. Oh, to run my fingers over all those curls and icy marble fabric folds!

About 25 years ago, my husband and I went to Washington DC and visited many of the Smithsonian Museums. Such an amazing place! I would love to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Louvre.

Your turn!
Old 03-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #1243
Glitter Guru

Perfect question to ask with this week's Inspiration Challenge! I love going to museums - mostly art ones, though I did go to some of the Smithsonian ones when I visited Washington, DC (loved the Natural History one). I've been to New York three times and couldn't get enough of the Metropolitan Museum of Art (and also visited the Museum of Modern Art). My favourites are the various ones in Paris that have a lot of the Impressionist art.

Angie, you are making me want to book a trip to New York or Paris!!!

I'm feeling like I got a lot of challenges done this week - four of them so far, plus a slightly late one for last weekend's Inspiration Challenge. Now I'm off to look at this week's Inspiration Challenge.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
ohmypaper! likes this post.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #1244
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Speaking of museums, I have to chime in....I suggested the V&A museum for the IC as I had been watching the Masterpiece show Victoria. I've never been to that museum but have heard through others how cool it is. I love museums and recently went on a trip to Vienna and Prague...so I would recommend the Leopold and Albertina museums in Vienna...so many Klimts, so little time . My favorite museum probably has to be the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. It's filled with tons of his work.

I have to put in a plug for our local museums here in the Twin Cities...I have many memories of some great exhibits at the Minneapolis Institute of Art and the Walker Art Center.....Picasso, Frida Kahlo, Edward Hopper.... Oh and Angie I've been to the High a few times when my sister lived in Atlanta....I saw a wonderful Matisse exhibit there.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #1245

Polly, my husband's siblings live in Minneapolis. We have never been to the museums there. Maybe we can do that this summer since we hope to get there this summer. Thanks so much for being our Guest Designer for the IC this week! Wonderful inspiration!
peeps321 likes this post.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #1246
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Angie the MIA (Mpls Institute) has free admission unless you're going to a special exhibit.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #1247
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

The Favorites thread is live. If you're not familiar, the FAVORITES thread is a way to give recognition to some of the standout creations shared in our SCS Gallery. Come on over and spread some love.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #1248
Glitter Guru

Got my Inspiration Challenge card done this afternoon - what a wonderful site! I've loved this week's challenges. Hope for equally good ones next week.

Now I have to find my CAS Favourites as I'm one of the team that does that thread.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #1249

This week's Featured Stamper is up! Olga's gallery overflows with flowers!!

Susan, I stopped by your gallery! I love how you have a stamp that so closely resembles your inspiration! So cool!
Old 03-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #1250
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Angie, your link has two http's in it, so it's not the normal division by module zero error, it's never going to work unless you can edit it. I'm afraid I'm going to stop posting links here till the bug is fixed because I'm sure I'm not the only one finding them increasingly frustrating. They seem to occur more when posted from mobile devices, and I don't normally turn the PC on till I'm home from work.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:49 AM   #1251
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

The majority of museums and galleries in the UK have free entry - hooray! It means you’re more likely to pop in just to look at one or two things I think. I love lots of the London museums, especially the National Gallery and the British Museum. DH actually has a Friends membership at the BM so if we’re in London together we often go there, have a look at whatever special exhibition is on and a general wander around if we feel like it.

Outside the UK I’d probably be joining Polly at the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam or visiting the Accademia in Florence (and ignoring the scrum around Michelangelo’s David).

We usually visit a local museum or gallery when we’re on vacation - we’ve seen some really oddball things! Quirky but delightful is the pencil museum in Keswick (lots of Derwent products in the gift shop, unsurprisingly!). We stumbled on a typewriter museum in a tiny town in France but I can’t get its name back. We were also guided round a really oddball place in France by a guide who spoke really rapid and complex French - my language skills are pretty much limited to a few pleasantries and menu-based stuff so I understood about 1% of what she was saying but she was grimly determined to carry on and do the whole thing. Gave us a good giggle after the fact!

My blog
Old 03-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #1252
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

The CAS Challenge is up:

CAS523 - Three in a Row - 03/04/2019 - Splitcoaststampers

"Expectations are infinite. Time is finite. You are always choosing. Choose well.”
Old 03-03-2019, 11:09 PM   #1253
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

So is the EOINA TLC challenge. Not going to add a bum link, but it's to add a little glitter into some embossing powder, and then heat emboss with it. Of course . I remember it from first time round, I just can't remember what I made. I might even still have the mixed powder. Speaking of which, I'm working on a project for a gift right now, and I was able to use up a little jar carefully labelled "UTEE and white". Who knows how they got mixed together, but it was great to find a way to use it
Old 03-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #1254

Thanks Misti! That looks like a fun challenge. I have to see how my day unfolds but I have an idea in mind!

Here is the link. TLC732
Old 03-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #1255

I have a powder that I bought at some point that has sparkle in it but it doesn't work very well. I would love to see how it would work by adding glitter into embossing powder and see if it works better that way as today's challenge shows.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:37 AM   #1256
Proud Fan Club Member

The links are working today! Awesome!

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Alpha list. https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...262-post1.html
Cook22 likes this post.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #1257
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
The links are working today! Awesome!
Well, they're working now but Misti's wasn't working for me before I left for work. It's as if they take time to sync, which is weird. I don't know if it's when they are posted on a mobile device or viewed on one because that's all I ever use till after work, but it appears to be part of the problem. So until it's fixed, I'm giving up posting them. If they frustrate me I'm sure they frustrate others too.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #1258
Glitter Guru

Two great challenges today - love them both and had time to get them done!! Now it's off to my volunteering and it's such a beautiful sunny day for it - it will be a pleasure to be outside, even though a bit chilly.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #1259
Proud Fan Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I finally got my CAS card blogged. I have east coast company this week so we have been busier then normal. My daughter works the next two days so I will be on day time entertaining. It's fun pretending I can keep up with the next generation. lol
Old 03-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #1260

I will check it out Joyce! Have fun but don't overdo. Easier said than done!

Sabrina, so far things have been going better for me but I was having trouble with links too. It was as if I was working too fast for the server? I am on a computer and I was having problems. The last few days everything has been fine for me.
I have no idea how that all works!
Old 03-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #1261

The colors for this week are soooo pretty. Check CC729!

The teapot challenge is a fun one and the destination is a sweet lady we all know around here!

We are painting cabinets Tuesday. I will put my thinking cap on for a question and get back to you!
Old 03-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #1262
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Neither of your links are working for me, Angie. It's that division by module zero or whatever message again.

I had my card for Tonda all ready to upload but I never even turned the computer on yesterday, nor even went upstairs. I hate feeling so unproductive. At least I sewed the second sleeve into a cardigan and finished the toe of a sock so I finally got two knitting projects finished off before bed at 8.30

Have fun painting your cabinets. Hope it's a non-fume paint.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:23 PM   #1263
Proud Fan Club Member

The links don't work for me either! Rats, I thought it was fixed when the link is were working earlier.

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #1264
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

They work for me. Weird!!

"Expectations are infinite. Time is finite. You are always choosing. Choose well.”
Old 03-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #1265
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

The Sketch Challenge is up;

Sketch Challenge 739 (3/6/19) - Splitcoaststampers

Old 03-05-2019, 09:10 PM   #1266
Proud Fan Club Member

Link doesn't work for me. I think sabrina is right. They seem to need time to work

Daily Scripture Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:15 PM   #1267
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Quote:

Link doesn't work for me. I think sabrina is right. They seem to need time to work

Crazy!!

Old 03-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #1268
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScraperwannabeView Post
Crazy!!

Yes, isn't it. Now the Tuesday ones are working for me but your sketch challenge one isn't. To me it feels as if the database isn't syncing properly as if the servers were running slow or something and it takes time to cycle through. But I'm no techie, and I don't think that would explain what appears to be a difference between mobile and desktop users.

Happy birthday, Kathy!
muscrat likes this post.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #1269
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks, Sabrina!

Daily Scripture Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #1270
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hope you’re having a lovely day Kathy! Doing anything special to celebrate?

My blog
Old 03-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #1271
Proud Fan Club Member

Not really. DS2 was taking me out to lunch but when we got there, there was a sign that they wouldn't open for another hour due to water problems so we got Chinese and brought it home to eat.

Daily Scripture Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #1272

Well, that is really weird about the links. Both my links and the sketch link are working for me. I guess I will keep posting unless I get feedback that the links stop working for everyone.

Lisa is up with WT730, it's titled Waters Edge! My husband's days off were Tue/Wed this week and it's been quite the "weekend". I didn't get to create until late so I created a card for Lisa's challenge. I will post it tomorrow after a bit of sleep.

Happy Birthday, Kathy! Sorry, you didn't get to go out but I hope you still felt special!
muscrat likes this post.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #1273
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Angie, your link worked for me.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:54 AM   #1274
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Not really. DS2 was taking me out to lunch but when we got there, there was a sign that they wouldn't open for another hour due to water problems so we got Chinese and brought it home to eat.

Well that's a win on the "no cooking" front even if it wasn't quite what you planned! Hope the restaurant didn't get flooded out!

My blog
muscrat likes this post.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:16 AM   #1275
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I'm on a day off, so at the PC once I ran a repair and got past the BSOD. Hope it lasts, not feeling sanguine...

So since I can post links from the PC and hope they work:

MariLynn's I wanna pop MIX challenge is about adding something that pops up: MIX319 I wanna Pop ... 3-8-19 - Splitcoaststampers

Robin and Francie's F4A challenge is called Where's My Mojo, and it's about casing one of our own cards, preferably an early upload: F4A472 March 8 Where's My Mojo? - Splitcoaststampers

The MIX one worked out well for me, as I'd been working on redeeming a failed St. Patrick's Day card last night, and hoped that I could work it up into the MIX challenge. Not the outside, I don't think I can do much more with that that would make a pop-up, but I can certainly add a fun element inside to coordinate with the front.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #1276

Oh, the challenges look like fun!!! Will have to see how much time I have today. I need to do my sample for this week's IC. I could combine that with Robin's challenge perhaps. Will just have to see how the day unfolds.

So here's the question inspired by Robin's challenge. I don't think I have asked it yet but if so I will make it a two-part question.

First, what do you do when your mojo disappears?
Secondly, For Robin's bonus points she said go back to your first page in your gallery and choose a card to CASE. So post a link to a card you would enjoy remaking into a fresh design. Even if you don't think you will have time today, just for fun post a card and mention what you might change!

When my mojo disappears I try to force it! LOL I don't think that is super effective. But I don't give up. I just keep trying. I really like Robin's idea and plan to put that in my arsenal. I also read where Lydia said that she will organize her supplies. I do notice that when I tidy up a part of my art room all of a sudden I itch to create. There is some magic at work where just touching the supplies spark enthusiasm!

So I am torn! I kind of like the color combo here and I like the ribbons. I don't use ribbons much anymore but I am looking at a stamp in front of me and I think I could do a fun card with THIS. Butterfly bookmark by ohmypaper! - at Splitcoaststampers

Sad but true, I still have almost a full paper pad which I used to make this card: Flowers - Feel Better Soon by ohmypaper! - at Splitcoaststampers It would be fun to use paper from that stack to make an updated card. We shall see!
Old 03-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #1277

Does anyone know if there is a technique in the tutorials for coloring an image with ink (distress ink in my case) and spritzing with water then stamping on cardstock? I looked through the tutorials yesterday before posting my "Sending Hugs" card but couldn't find it.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:30 AM   #1278
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmypaper!View Post
Does anyone know if there is a technique in the tutorials for coloring an image with ink (distress ink in my case) and spritzing with water then stamping on cardstock? I looked through the tutorials yesterday before posting my "Sending Hugs" card but couldn't find it.

I think misting with markers is the closest tutorial that comes to mind, in terms of applying colour to the stamp, then misting.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:36 AM   #1279
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Is “sulk” an acceptable answer to the first part of the question?

Seriously, I usually place restrictions on myself - my hubby always says I’m more creative if I have less to work with and he’s perfectly right. So for example I might pick an image to work with and then say I can only use things that are already out on my desk or chose two or three colours and see where that takes me.

I went back to the first page of my gallery (almost 12 year ago - eek!) and although I’m not going to get chance today, I think I’d pick this one for a makeover. I’d turn it so the branch is coming in horizontally from the left of the card and stamp it off the edge of the panel so there’s no awkward “floating” going on. I’m sure I’d end up doing all sorts of other things too - my process is usually to let things develop as they go along, I rarely have a plan! I think that stamp has aged well though, I’d definitely still use that without feeling it was “dated”.

My blog
Old 03-08-2019, 06:36 AM   #1280
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I would probably go for remaking this card - TLC162, Potted teddy -, because I've been thinking about that (background) stamp, and because my chalks are sadly neglected these days.

I usually just work on Christmas cards if I don't have any other mojo going on. I need to count and see if I managed to make my quota of four for Feb. I think I'm close despite the flu. I do have a couple of images stamped but I'm fed up with colouring in bed, which is where I'm headed now.