Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #1161
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Cathy's WTUI challenge today is to use more than one fold, either in a fun fold base or on your card: WT728 - Fancy Folds (2/21/19) - Splitcoaststampers

I was happy to try out the pleated skirt fold, but I was thinking fanfold flowers too, and an old favourite from when I first joined here is the triangle trifold.
I didn't even get one card made yesterday , just bits of two cards.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-21-2019, 04:59 AM   #1162

Sabrina, that would work well with the sketch challenge too, I think. I glanced at the gallery and noticed that some people did I think it's called a Gate Fold?

I won't be playing along today, I don't think. Our last day of staycation but I also have a deadline card to create. Oops. For some reason, I was thinking I was going to create that card after Steve went to back to work but it's due first thing tomorrow morning.

So how about a question. I don't think we have discussed our favorite fold. What is your favorite fold? What would you like to try that you haven't?

I would love to do the pleated skirt fold. I don't have very much double-sided 12x12 paper though.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:46 AM   #1163
Proud Fan Club Member

My favorite fold is the never ending card! Especially after finding the easiest way to make it. Honestly, I love fancy folds so I try them all!
ohmypaper! likes this post.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #1164
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I'll have to think about my favourite fold. I know it's not the tri-shutter, nor the neverending, which I think it's fun but I always overthink decorating it. The pop-up book card is certainly up there as a contender.

Angie, not having double-sided paper needn't stop you. Just sponge the white side with coordinating ink, and you can also stamp on it...an abstract design or else an image that will go with the printed side.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #1165
Proud Fan Club Member

Tough decision...either Side Step or Centre Step folds. It was due to Beate's Side Step tutorial that I first fell in love with SCS. The centre step is a great fold as you can bring the centre step forward, or recess it back and make a completely different looking card.

Don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #1166
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

No stamping for me today. Had an appointment earlier, went to lunch with hubby, and a fund raiser tonight. But I did review how to make an easel card. I love those! I'm too tired now,so hopefully I'll get creative juices flowing tomorrow. I have a feeling it's gonna be a PJ All Day kid of day.
My Gallery QFTD#207 My blog: Stamping for LIFE!

Join us for Virtual Stamp Night!
"From Here to There" is our theme, and we even have some prizes!
Mini VSN March 8th -- Main VSN April 12th & 13th
Learn more and join the Chatter here!

Hoping to stamp more in 2019!
2019 Cards Made: 93 New cards mailed: 32 Old cards mailed: 10
2019 SCS challenges: 58 Christmas cards: 24

Old 02-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #1167
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

The Free For All is up: F4A470...Celebrate YOUR month...2/22/2019 - Splitcoaststampers

Small matters, small gets you started, and small adds up. ~ Melissa Camara Wilkins

dawnmercedes and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #1168
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

I didn’t have time for a fancy gold card today but did get a card made. Maybe I can upload it tomorrow.

Small matters, small gets you started, and small adds up. ~ Melissa Camara Wilkins

Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #1169
Stazon Splitcoast

The MIX challenge is up - MIX317: Tin Ceilings (2/22/2019) - Splitcoaststampers. Looks like a fun one to try. As does the Free for All. I just got home this evening from a few days away so didn't do the Ways to Use It - and I'm not a fan of fancy folds. A regular gatefold is the fanciest I get.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #1170
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I've never seen a tin ceiling, but I do like the faux tin tile tutorial. Given my low energy levels I might get something made with the tin tile ef. We have a €20 voucher for IKEA which we really need to use tonight or it will expire, so I've got to save some energy for that .
Old 02-22-2019, 05:13 AM   #1171

Sounds like many of us are going to have an easy going kind of day. My daughter got back to school at 1:30am from her Disney trip! She said the food was really bad at the park. At least at the places they had food vouchers for. Anyway she didn't eat before the long bus ride home so at 2am I made pasta for her and we fell into bed at about 3:30 am. Not sure what I will get done today!!! I am thinking it might be a jammy day and maybe we will watch something together!

Both challenges look fun!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #1172
Stazon Splitcoast

The Inspiration Challenge just got posted. The site has gorgeous images on it - I'm going to have a very hard time choosing one!

Got one Friday challenge done and posted, and the second partially done - I'll post it tomorrow.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Benzi and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:11 AM   #1173

Glad you like the site, Susan. I could do several more cards from it, too. What another rainy day here......good day to stay in and craft. I'll look forward to seeing what you create, Susan. Hope a lot of others jump into the challenge, also.
2014 CAS Spring DT---Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess
Hebrews 13:2

Brenda
Old 02-23-2019, 04:28 AM   #1174
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Yeah, I loved that bird pillow...and the funny cats...and the pretty pink butterflies that al most look like flowers against the vine. I won't be able to craft until this afternoon. But I think I"m going to use that bird inspiration...b/c I just HAD to have Color Me Happy...which arrived in the mail yesterday. Then I saw how small the images were! haha Some how, I thought they were larger! haha. So I need to adjust my thoughts about them! hehe
Benzi likes this post.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:33 AM   #1175

Can't wait to see what you create with the bird inspiration, Dawn. You know, I think the cats I posted at the bottom of the challenge could almost be drawn. They are so colorful and cute. But, I can't draw....ugh!

Brenda
Old 02-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #1176

I just want to browse the site all day long!!! A zillion ideas popped into my head! Thanks so much, Susan for posting the challenge.
Benzi likes this post.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #1177
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I made a card for F4A and MIX yesterday, but didn't get pics. My MIX card is kinda weird; combined with a tough color combo from a blog challenge. After I do a bit of reading for a study group that meets tomorrow, I will take photos and upload.

I peeked at the IC site. Loads of goodies! Hope to play along later this afternoon.

Happy Saturday!
Benzi likes this post.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #1178

Kim, don't you just love the "kinda weird" ones? Sometimes I make something and just don't share it because it's kinda weird but I still really like it!

So here's my question for the day.
How often would you say you make something you won't share online because it's art to you but not sure it's good enough?

It probably happens to me at least once a week. More often if I count the ones that end up in the trash but there are some I create and I just leave them hanging around. Maybe I made a mistake when coloring, or maybe the whole design just isn't quite right. I love those weird misfits just as much as my good ones.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #1179
Stazon Splitcoast

Angie, I have several photos of cards sitting in a photo file that I originally thought I might post but never have - and that's because I don't think they are good enough! We are our own harshest critics, I'm sure!

Yesterday got away from me with chores and errands, and today has been busy so far and I'm going off to an Oscars potluck, so have to cook for that - so still no time to make something for the wonderful Inspiration challenge!

Old 02-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #1180
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

A brief-ish answer because it's yet another early bed here . My answer is very rarely, almost never...but I'm beginning to think, from the amount of times that you mention trashing stuff, that you set your bar far, far higher than I set mine. Also, I see my gallery as a record of my journey, which is why I haven't deleted anything though sometimes it's tempting.
I did have problems today stamping something wrong not just once but twice...an image on a tag but I needed the hole end of the tag to be on the right. I'll save the two lefties and turn them into something another time.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #1181
Proud Fan Club Member

I usually post everything, but I've been known to throw things away after uploading! I just did those for a challenge or tutorial and know I'll never use it. Then there are cards I donate to my church family. There's a box in the foyer and I add cards as I get extras. I've come to realize that some of the things I hate, others love! Or some I love others don't love them as much as I do! I stepped out on a limb and bought the new tea together stamp and die set. Teapots are so NOT me, but but if I only make me cards, I may be missing the big picture!
berlycece, Dockside and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #1182
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I've been making "recycled" cards like crazy lately. My aunt brought me three bags of old cards and I've been chopping them up and adding new bits and turning them into fabulous new cards. But I've made so many that I couldn't possibly share them all because everyone would get sick of seeing them! I'm totally hooked. It feels really good to take these tired old cards and let them do their job again.
berlycece and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #1183

I usually upload mine but last week for the IC I made a card that I thought looked pretty good but it was weird so I did not upload it to the gallery. I think I tore it up and threw it away. Just didn't think anyone would like it. I do have several that have never been uploaded, though.
Angie, we had to run for cover because of a tornado warning, also. It was early in the night, thankfully.

Brenda
Old 02-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #1184
Stazon Splitcoast

Jennifrann, I'm going to do a bit of that too as I have some lovely commercial Christmas cards that need to be recycled into new cards rather than being tossed in the recycling bag. If you're doing any Christmas ones, there is a challenge out in blogland for that very thing right now - http://52cct.blogspot.com/2019/02/fe...d+Throwdown%29

Old 02-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #1185
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I think in my case its more of a I don't want the people who are going to get it in the mail to see it first online more than a I don't like it thing
when I fail ( on purpose) to post something.
or, I generally cross link challenges to facebook ( IC or events mostly) and if I made something for someone who is a facebook friend of mine, I do not do that link together and by the time sometimes that I get around to mailing it I figure too much time has passed and I let it go and just move the photos from the to be uploaded folder to the what kind of thing it was folder for the year.

my fs card last Sunday I stamped that herb background 4 times before I got one that was "almost" stamped all the way, ( its an old stamp and some of the foam has sunk) so.. I very loosely colored over the leaves in a "artistic" way and kept going and loaded it anyways... What I find is most people are not as exacting about things I make as I am so, I have a let it go thing.

PS I have been cleaning off my table off and on all day to play in this weeks fs challenge and just finished cleaning

My Blog
Old 02-24-2019, 08:25 PM   #1186

The TLC is up and Sabrina is our hostess! Such a cool technique!!!
Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #1187
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

The CAS Challenge is Up!

Old 02-24-2019, 10:25 PM   #1188
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
I usually post everything, but I've been known to throw things away after uploading! I just did those for a challenge or tutorial and know I'll never use it. Then there are cards I donate to my church family. There's a box in the foyer and I add cards as I get extras. I've come to realize that some of the things I hate, others love! Or some I love others don't love them as much as I do! I stepped out on a limb and bought the new tea together stamp and die set. Teapots are so NOT me, but but if I only make me cards, I may be missing the big picture!

Kathy, you are so right. I can think of at least three times I've sent cards to people, cards that I definitely felt "meh" when I uploaded them, but sent them to people in response to comments about how the card spoke to them. I badly need to make more masculine cards, I never seem to have any when I need them, and they are not me.

At this stage even for a challenge or tutorial I'm not going to make something that I can't use, I've done that too often in the past. I guess that's why snarky and sassy challenges are hard for me , so not me and I can't imagine sending that sort of card.
muscrat likes this post.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:45 AM   #1189
Proud Fan Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I was just remembering a fold card I did for a DTGD challenge, it turned out super cute but I’m still not a fold card fan. (My phone changed fold to gold, I am totally a gold card fan as long as it doesn’t come with a bill!) the links on the card I posted no longer work so I’m going to have to see if I can find the tutorial.

These were the cards.
DTGD18StampingQueenJAR by ashjoy - at Splitcoaststampers
DTGD18Rainy; MSP12 by ashjoy - at Splitcoaststampers

Not sure why the links no longer work. Does DTGD get archived or something?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #1190
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Some bug means that some links don't seem to work when they are first posted... Yours are working alright for me. The DTGD challenge threads get archived (but remain accessible), the galleries stay just as they were. I think Anita brought us that fold, did she?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #1191
Proud Fan Club Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

That’s so odd Sabrina, they don’t work for me. At least not on my phone.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #1192
Proud Fan Club Member

They worked for me, Joyce! Loved the octopus ocean one!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #1193
Polyshrink Goddess

Joyce, your cards show up beautifully with the links. The original challenge for the fold you used, is not on its own but is located in this thread: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...d-t625526.html
Just scroll down and you will find the PDF of the fold. I do not know why it is not on its own as many of them are.

Your cards are beautiful! I remember I did not try that fold, but it looks fun.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #1194
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post

At this stage even for a challenge or tutorial I'm not going to make something that I can't use, I've done that too often in the past. I guess that's why snarky and sassy challenges are hard for me , so not me and I can't imagine sending that sort of card.
I totally agree, Sabrina. I used to try and do all the challenges, but I realized I don't like sketch challenges, I only do the Color Challenge if I like the colours, and I only do the others if they appeal to me. For example, last week's CAS challenge to only use one third of the card front did not appeal to me at all - for my eye and preferences, that always looks unbalanced. But today's CAS challenge to make a get well card had me happy to make something. I still want to get something done for the Inspiration Challenge, and I'd like to give your TLC a try. Maybe tomorrow....

Old 02-26-2019, 12:05 AM   #1195
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I find sketch challenges constricting and counter to the way I create, but I know I learned a lot from doing them in the days when I had more time, and I still think they are a great way of using DP, which isn't something I'm very good at when left to my own devices .

Funny, that one-third CAS challenge actually appealed to me, but true CAS is not a style of card I send. Anyway I didn't have time to try anything .
Old 02-26-2019, 02:52 AM   #1196
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I love all the challenges! And I've almost kept my resolution to do every single one this year. I just couldn't do the foiling TLC for lack of supplies.
It's funny how off I feel all day if I don't get a card done.
This morning I'm in Wisconsin with my MISTI studio bag chock full of craft supplies ready to do the color challenge.
berlycece likes this post.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:34 AM   #1197

Yay! Jennifer! I was worried that while you were away you wouldn't be creating! I love seeing your cards every day!

Joyce both of your cards are sooo fun! Talk about fun folds!!!

I will be back in a minute with today's links! I was up late decluttering my art space. Phew! what a job. We are going to see if we can make it more user-friendly for me with my back issues. Steve will be home in a bit and will take all my filing cabinets out of the room. NO heavy lifting for me but I did find lots of small stuff and papers to take care of. I was so determined to finish my part that I didn't check out the challenges.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:37 AM   #1198

Challenge colors are up! They remind me of the Green Bay Packers.

Teapot challenge is up and the destination is one another!
Old 02-26-2019, 04:38 AM   #1199

Question: What is your favorite children's story?
Old 02-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #1200
Stazon Splitcoast

Great question, Angie - I'm a retired librarian and worked for many years as a children's librarian. My favourite book from when I was a child is The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - I read it several times. I think it's why I grew up to love gardening - it really captured the wonder of growing things. But if I think of more modern stories, I'd have to say the Harry Potter books - I enjoyed reading them as an adult and I absolutely love the way they turned on a whole generation of kids to reading.