Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #961
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I actually do have a sweet friend who really needs a pick me up after being sick for a whole year and misdiagnosed they did surgery and then she had a stroke. It breaks my heart. Thanks for reminding me that we can offer suggestions.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #962
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

gorgeous color combo! just saw it..might need to use it in a sketch card tomorrow!
ohmypaper! likes this post.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:07 PM   #963
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Took pics of cards for the last 2 CAS challenges. One I took tonight...oh my word. The lighting is SO bad! LOL Since I am a day late anyway, I am going to redo that one in the morning. I'll upload the one for last week.

But I have to say, both of these cards are not that CAS. I had circles in mind for CAS516... the word COLD for CAS517. They aren't "messy" but not what I would call CAS. Maybe some people would. I know it's subjective.

So my question is...have you ever started on a challenge, only to realize you missed the mark on an element or two?

Both cards use the card stock and dsp I am trying to use up, inspired by Sabrina's WT last week!

Old 01-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #964

Yes, I have Kim! Sometimes I realize it after I posted it but Lydia says there is no wrong way to do a challenge! No Challenge police! Really, I think perhaps if there were prizes maybe we would have to be a stickler on challenge elements for prize winners. Since the SCS challenges are to inspire us, if we miss an element now and then, I think most of the hostesses would prefer we play along rather than not.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #965

SC733 is up! If you like lots of elements on your cards you will enjoy this sketch! I am bummed I passed up on a stamp that would be absolutely perfect for this challenge!

Here is a question. Do you like to add tags to your cards? Do you like adding small sentiment tags or do you like creating a scene on your tag and adding it to the card?

I don't use them all that often because I am all thumbs and can't tie tags and charms. Tieing something onto my card takes me as long as creating the whole card! Stacy (JBGreendawn) does this beautifully. For larger focal point tags I can never seem to find a good layout for using a large tag. I am very drawn to tags though! I love viewing them on other people's cards!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:43 PM   #966
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Those 5 little banner elements in the sketch could spell HAPPY.

I use the little LOTV sentiment tags a lot. And way back, I used a set of little HA sentiments on tags too. Instead of trying to tie the tag I often just stick it, and add a twine bow done with my bow-maker. Sometimes I use a die-cut bow. I like using tags .

Kim, I've certainly been there, done that. If I've tried my best I'll keyword it, but if I know I've really missed the mark, I just upload it on my own account and don't keyword it for the challenge. CAS I think is definitely one of the more subjective ones that you just have to decide for yourself.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:00 AM   #967
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

CAS is definitely subjective - I sometimes add a card to my gallery that I would never have keyworded with CAS and then have it turn up as a fave in the CAS thread! Always flattering when someone likes your card enough to fave it though

My blog
berlycece and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #968
Glitter Guru

Angie, I enjoy making tags once in awhile but then add them to a card as I don't find them useful on their own.

Joanne, I totally agree that CAS is very subjective. Being on the CAS Favorites forum team, I find myself sometimes struggling to decide whether a card is CAS or not. Here on SCS, the definition of CAS is pretty loose, but some of the CAS challenges out in blogland are very strict and have tight definitions.

Since I mostly do CAS cards and don't like sketch challenges at the best of times, I'm passing today, and looking forward to seeing what the Ways to Use It is tomorrow.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #969
Proud Fan Club Member

I have pretty much stopped joining in on the CAS challenge because it seems to be pretty much anything goes. There is very little that is clean and simple about it.

My Blog: Confessions of a Left-Brained Stamper
Design Team Member - Kitchen Sink Stamps
Design Team Member - The Project Bin
Devoted Fan Club Member since 2005
Old 01-24-2019, 05:23 AM   #970

Toni is the hostess for WT724 and she wants us to add bicycles to our cards!

I have the prettiest bicycle image from PPRS and I have only used it once or twice, I also have two fun vintage bicycle stamps from Red Rubber Designs. I don't think I will be creating today though since it's my day to have the car and I will be gone all day.

Anyone going to play in the challenge? What bicycle image comes to mind? Have you seen a bicycle image or die cut that is on your wish list?
Old 01-24-2019, 07:17 AM   #971
Proud Fan Club Member

I just posted mine. Took me two hours to make. Eeeek!! But I hate to color, and I hate to fussy cut and it took both to create what I wanted for the bicycle challenge.

I have quite a few bicycles (both stamps and dies) so I probably won't be adding any more to my collection, but today I chose to use Pedal Pushers by Art Impressions.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #972
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I got a late start on my card and tried a new technique and ran out of time to finish my card before wok. I feel so off now. I’m using a new(to me) stamp from Purple Onion. I think Sabrina has it. It’s a fox riding a bike with a frog in the basket. Considering how drawn I am to bikes (I love mountain biking!), I don’t have a lot of bike images to choose from.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #973
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
I just posted mine. Took me two hours to make. Eeeek!! But I hate to color, and I hate to fussy cut and it took both to create what I wanted for the bicycle challenge. ... ...
Lynn, thanks for the giggle! The only time I spend 2 hours or less on a card is when I'm 100% copying myself on a favorite card. Otherwise ... make way for a tortoise stamper.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #974
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Lynn & Bev, I’m glad I’m in great company today! My card didn’t even have a new technique or a layer that had to dry.

"Expectations are infinite. Time is finite. You are always choosing. Choose well.”
TexasGrammy and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #975
Mad Swapper

I am quite slow at uploading photos. I just uploaded my inspiration challenge card from Saturday. It has been done for a few days, just not got a decent photo taken till today. Anyway, there are several photos in the gallery for this inspiration, but only 4 will show up when you press on the keyword. Why is that? Mine is not showing up in that 4 and I keep comparing the keyword to the ones showing up and I can't see a difference. Could one of you who participates much more than I do help me? Here is my card: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...&ppuser=301308 Thanks!

Featured Stamper #671
Old 01-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #976
Glitter Guru

Lisa, the best way to see the cards done for a specific challenge is to go to the challenge thread and click on the link to the gallery in the first post. Every challenge is supposed to include that. Your card shows up along with 39 others when I do that.

The other way is to go to "Gallery" at the top of any SCS page, click on it, then select "Search" on the left column, and type in the challenge number (i.e. IC685) - that will also get you all 40 entries.

I'm not sure where you are clicking on the keyword that you are only getting four entries to show up.

Love your card with those sweet little birdhouses - a great take on your inspiration choice.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #977
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
Lynn, thanks for the giggle! The only time I spend 2 hours or less on a card is when I'm 100% copying myself on a favorite card. Otherwise ... make way for a tortoise stamper.

Too funny, Bev!! I guess we must be exact opposites. If I spend more than 30 minutes on a card, it better be a humdinger!!

TexasGrammy likes this post.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #978
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post

What a hoot, Bev! We must be exact opposites. If I spend more that 30 minutes on a card it better be a humdinger!!!

Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #979
Proud Fan Club Member

What a hoot, Bev! We must be exact opposites. If I spend more that 30 minutes on a card it better be a humdinger!!!

Old 01-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #980
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
Lisa, the best way to see the cards done for a specific challenge is to go to the challenge thread and click on the link to the gallery in the first post. Every challenge is supposed to include that. Your card shows up along with 39 others when I do that.

The other way is to go to "Gallery" at the top of any SCS page, click on it, then select "Search" on the left column, and type in the challenge number (i.e. IC685) - that will also get you all 40 entries.

I'm not sure where you are clicking on the keyword that you are only getting four entries to show up.

Love your card with those sweet little birdhouses - a great take on your inspiration choice.
Thank you, Susan. I have no idea what was going on that I was only seeing 4 cards. They are all showing up, just as you were seeing them. Thank you for checking this out.

Featured Stamper #671
Old 01-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #981
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post

I have no idea what I was doing to only see four entries. They are all showing up, just as you said. Thank you for checking this out.

Featured Stamper #671
Old 01-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #982
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi Friends,

I have three stamps with bicycles; thought it was just two, but was reminded of another when I saw the gallery.
My card took a while because of coloring, but even so I am a slow stamper. I either get distracted by my music or audio book or netflix. Stamping in a quiet room is not my style. If I am not worried about completing a challenge, I often stamp more quickly.

The other time I step up my pace is for Virtual Stamp Night. When I got into those challenges years ago, everything had to be uploaded by the Monday after the challenges! I cranked out cards like crazy! I love how the time element is part of each VSN challenge, because I find it gives me an adrenaline rush. Love it!

By the way...we're looking for more VSN hostesses for April 12 & 13th...hint hint.

peeps321 likes this post.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:08 PM   #983
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Also when you upload a card, it takes a short while, maybe ten minutes, before the gallery software syncs. So you can click on the keyword in your upload and so long as it takes you to the rest of the challenge gallery, you know you've done it right and yours will show up there shortly.

I came home from work on Wednesday feeling unwell, yesterday was so bad that I didn't look online much, so I haven't looked at the bicycles yet. But yes, I do have that stamp, Jen.

Today's MIX from Anna is a fun one, incorporating text or words into our mixed media projects. mix313 text words jan 25 2019 a t627672.html UnfortunatelyI don't think I'll get t o it today. Re Lynn's comment on the CAS, I think that partly with the CAS and MIX in particular, people can zoom in on the challenge details of the day and get so absorbed that they forget it should also be framed within the parameters of the larger challenge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
I am quite slow at uploading photos. I just uploaded my inspiration challenge card from Saturday. It has been done for a few days, just not got a decent photo taken till today. Anyway, there are several photos in the gallery for this inspiration, but only 4 will show up when you press on the keyword. Why is that? Mine is not showing up in that 4 and I keep comparing the keyword to the ones showing up and I can't see a difference. Could one of you who participates much more than I do help me? Here is my card: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...&ppuser=301308 Thanks!
Old 01-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #984

Well.......as for the slowness of creating. I am at heart a slow creator. There are still so many things I am learning on the go so it takes time for me to figure out what works and what doesn't. MY dearest online friend is the opposite of me and feels like there is something wrong when she can't get the card created in 20 minutes! What? I spent 4 hours yesterday painting and throwing away painting and throwing away my IC card for this weekend. As it stands I am back to the drawing board today! None of my attempts gave me the results I want! Then there are other times when I get into a mode and I can create several cards a day for several days at a time. Unfortunately so far in 2019 I have been a turtle and not a hare when it comes to creating!

So Jeanne is our Free For All hostess and she wants us to create Valentine or Love cards without hearts!!! That ought to be a fun gallery! I have to check my stamps for this one!

My husband is home today but I am going to try and check out the bicycle gallery and see what all of you have created at some point today!
Old 01-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #985

Big Hugs to all who pop in here and chat or just read the thread!

Always feel free to add the link to an SCS challenge if I am not around! I love that!

Happy Friday!!!!
TeeGeeDee likes this post.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #986
Glitter Guru

Looking forward to today's challenges - hopefully I can fit them in between all the errands I have to do!

I'm a kind of medium speed creator - sometimes I surprise myself and put a card together really quickly but other times, especially if it involves watercolouring, it can take a long time.

I'm feeling quite annoyed with myself today as I looked for my two bicycle stamps yesterday for the challenge but my stamps really need organizing and I just couldn't find them. Or maybe it just means I have way too many!!!

Old 01-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #987

Nah! You don't have too many. I hate it when I lose things I just had in my hand!
cjzim likes this post.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #988
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

I finally got my bicycle card uploaded. Have ideas mulling in my head for today’s challenges.

"Expectations are infinite. Time is finite. You are always choosing. Choose well.”
Old 01-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #989
Glitter Guru

Still haven't found my bicycle stamps but posted a card for the MIX challenge (and another for my monthly Christmas card quota!).

Old 01-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #990
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Just finished up my card for the MIX challenge... whew... it’s messy! I got ink everywhere.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #991
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

The Inspiration Challenge is up:
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/inspiration-f88/ic686-%7B1-26-19%7D-sherwin-williams-t627736.html
Old 01-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #992
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Let me try that again....

Inspiration Challenge

Old 01-26-2019, 06:17 AM   #993

Thanks for posting Misti! I was soooooo tired when I posted my card for the challenge sometime after midnight that I forgot to post the IC here! I am off to check out everyone's cards.

The IC is all about color this week! I hope you will be able to play along so I can see what you create!
I don't think I have asked this question before.

What's your favorite coloring medium?
What would you like to learn that you are not currently proficient at?

I love Copics. I am not an expert at them but I love using the Copics and working on shadows.

Watercolor is the medium I really want to explore and get better at. I just spent two days trying to color an image and I am not confident enough in the result to post it. My daughter loved it. In November I spent two days working on an abstract landscape to go with a really moving sentiment but again, I wasn't happy with the outcome. My daughter thought my land was an ocean and my husband wasn't a fan either. So Watercolor is my new challenge!

What about you?
bjeans likes this post.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #994

This week's Featured Stamper is a teammate of mine and she has a fabulous gallery!

Have a wonderful Sunday!
Old 01-27-2019, 12:51 AM   #995
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I'm not sure I could pick between pencils and using my distress inks for watercolour as a favourite medium. All I can say for sure is that water-based markers are at the bottom of the list. I love the look of Copics and am always fascinated to admire how they look whenever I receive cards coloured with them, but I have neither the budget nor the patience for the learning curve.

I've been sick in bed since Wednesday so I've been using my Polychromos and Couleur d'Art pencils for colouring in bed. I'll have to make myself use the images once I finally make it back upstairs again. Just as well I haven't done too much .

Angie, I'm sure you're being too hard on yourself! If I'd spent two days colouring something, I'd post it for sure. I don't think our uploads all have to be perfect, rather they chart our progress. If it was a DT project I can see you might hold back, but for a personal upload, go for it. Hear your daughter, not your inner voice.
cjzim and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #996
Glitter Guru

It's so interesting how different we all are. My favourite is watercolouring and I'm working hard to get better at it. I love my Gansai Tambi watercolour paints. I know lots of people love the Zig Watercolour markers but I don't find them as easy as regular watercolour paints. I've never really used my ink pads or reinkers for watercolouring - should try it more often.

I also like coloured pencils with Gamsol.

I'm hopeless with Copics, other than just using them as regular markers with no shading. I like waterbased markers like Tombows and Distress markers to colour directly onto my stamp or to use them just as regular markers with no shading.

I'm meeting a friend for brunch this morning but hope to get some time in my craft room this afternoon.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:28 AM   #997
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlyceceView Post

Dark pics...but here is a look at my stack of inks that I will be giving or selling...if I don't change my mind! And my nearly empty old caddies...

And the first look at the final selection. Nothing written or stamped in stone yet. The extra ink bottles are evidence that I often ordered something before actually looking to see if I already had it. Ironically, I never ordered ink refills the year of poppy parade/concord crush, etc. But 3 of those colors are in the line-up now. I REALLY like concord crush and would love to have a refill for that one.

For a moment I thought you had candles on top of the inks! Pretty!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:17 AM   #998
Proud Fan Club Member

My problem is having too much to choose from, so I end up doing nothing! I love watercolor and have zigs, gansai tambi, tons of SU reinkers, brushos, Tim Holtz distress oxides, watercolor pencils and crayons! I love pencils with gamsol. I love copics, but have been buying SU blend because they are a good color match and cheaper.

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Alpha list. https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...262-post1.html

Last edited by muscrat; 01-27-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Old 01-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #999
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi friends!

I was gone all day yesterday. Funeral in the morning, then a fun annual event with friends (Procrastinator's Christmas Party) and then an unplanned visit to a dear friend who is in the midst of personal struggle. Makes my ink clutter seem so trivial. Need to count our blessings every day.

I peeked at the IC Friday night, and even chose an inspiration photo. Since the IC is my personal challenge for 2019, I want to be sure to complete it today so I stay on track. But since it is color-focused, I could end up choosing multiple photos for inspiration!

Like many people, I started out with water based ink pads and markers. Sometimes I would use a blender pen to color, but they never seemed to last long with whatever solution they have in it, so I just got dry "brush marks". I bought a few sets of Spectrum noir markers since I don't have the money for copics, but I can't do much with them. For quick, simple cards I will still turn to my SU markers, mostly if it's a "casual" or kid friendly image.

...But lately I have been doing watercolor using my SU inks. Either I put a small drop of ink in my palette that I just bought a few months ago, or I scribble a marker on to my craft sheet, and pick up the ink with an aqua-brush. Sometimes this works very well, but I do need more practice. I am actually using more of my detailed lined images now that had been ignored because I was intimidated by them.

I purchased some oil pastels last summer, after seeing a technique on line. I would love to do more with these; I have quite a wide range of color in this medium. Lots of possibilities!

Anyway, it is bitter cold here. I just brewed a cup of Irish Breakfast tea, and I am going to crank out some tunes to get myself going.
Happy crafting, everyone!

ohmypaper! and Chris4436 like this post.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #1000

Sabrina, so sorry to read you have been sick! I hope you are feeling better!

I agree, Susan, it's fun to read how we are all different while enjoying the same hobby!

Kim, I look forward to seeing your IC card!

Hello, Jean! That made me smile about the reinker candles!

Kathy, pencils with gamsol was my first coloring technique! I watched Gina K demonstrate the technique. I went into our Michaels and asked for Gamsol and they had NO idea what I was talking about. I noticed the other day that they now carry Gamsol!

I have bought my Copics one marker at a time with 40% off coupons which is why my coloring palette is still limited! LOL
muscrat likes this post.