Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #761
Glitter Guru

Kathy, that sounds horrible. I get occasional classic migraines with jagged flashing auras - so I can relate to what you're feeling. When I have them, I can't read or craft or do anything.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #762
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Checking in to wish everyone a happy new year. Having eye trouble. Started yesterday with floaters and flashing lights so got an appt this morning. I have PVD...posterior vitreous detachment. He said it was good to go in to make sure retina didn't detach, but its OK. Apparently PVD comes to some as part of the aging process. Since tomorrow is a holiday and the floaters and flashers were still there this morning I figured it would be a good idea to check it out. I have follow up in a month. Luckily my tablet can enlarge the letters because my eyes are still dialated. I asked about using my tablet and he said it was OK...yay!

So glad you got it checked out and that it is just part of getting older. Take a rest and enjoy it!

Featured Stamper #671
Old 12-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #763
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Glad it’s not something that seems too serious Kathy, hope it still checks out OK in a month. Take it easy in the meantime, hope the flashing and the floaters subside. I’m with Susan, I get the occasional headache that has the effect of making me nauseous if I look at a computer screen or try to read or do anything detailed so my first reaction would be to say limit your screen time for a while if you can.

My blog
Old 12-31-2018, 12:48 PM   #764
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Checking in to wish everyone a happy new year. Having eye trouble. Started yesterday with floaters and flashing lights so got an appt this morning. I have PVD...posterior vitreous detachment. He said it was good to go in to make sure retina didn't detach, but its OK. Apparently PVD comes to some as part of the aging process. Since tomorrow is a holiday and the floaters and flashers were still there this morning I figured it would be a good idea to check it out. I have follow up in a month. Luckily my tablet can enlarge the letters because my eyes are still dialated. I asked about using my tablet and he said it was OK...yay!

Glad you’re okay Kathy! Please if it happens again I hope you see the eye doc right away. When something similar happened to me they wouldn’t let me wait until the next morning - but it was early in the day. And yeah, there’s a thinning in that membrane so it can partially detach, ugh, right?

I have huge floaters in one eye, probably hastened by a bad fall when I hit my head by my eye on a desk leg. But if you see what looks like a curtain going across your eye, it also can point to a possible stroke.

(Ocular migraines are different - like swirling 4th of July fireworks that start small and get larger for maybe half an hour - I’ve had them since the 1980s but they never change, no real pain, and have been checked out carefully.)

Be careful out there and happy new year!
Old 12-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #765
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

So glad you got in and got your eye checked ASAP, Kathy. I have an eye disease and whenever anything's out of the ordinary (for me), I'm right off to the opthalmologist.
Wishing everyone here a safe and happy new year's Eve; we are staying in and I'm happy with that!
Old 12-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #766
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

OH, Kathy that happened me 2 years ago. It was awful. Even after the doctor saw me and told me what it was he didn't tell me how much worse it would get. I sat in a Dr. who movie with my son thinking my retina was detaching because of how bad it all was. I made another appointment and the Doctor was quite mean about it. If he had explained that it would get worse and feel like something was detaching I would have waited it out. Anyway, it took over 6 months to really get better. You are in my thoughts!!!
Old 12-31-2018, 05:04 PM   #767

For those of you who are FAN CLUB members the Christmas Challenge is up! It will be another fun year of getting ahead on Christmas cards!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone! I have 4 hours to go but the fireworks have already begun! I am guessing I will toast to myself at midnight! LOL My kids are gone to parties and my husband is tucked in for the night!!
Old 12-31-2018, 05:17 PM   #768
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Ang, you won't be alone.... I'm watching all the celebrations on the TV (it's just gone 12 noon here) and we get to welcome in every one's new year. Europe's all done, you're next

Happy new year ladies, I hope the year is full of good health and happiness. Kathy and Claudia...get some rest.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #769
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmypaper!View Post
OH, Kathy that happened me 2 years ago. It was awful. Even after the doctor saw me and told me what it was he didn't tell me how much worse it would get. I sat in a Dr. who movie with my son thinking my retina was detaching because of how bad it all was. I made another appointment and the Doctor was quite mean about it. If he had explained that it would get worse and feel like something was detaching I would have waited it out. Anyway, it took over 6 months to really get better. You are in my thoughts!!!

I didn't have my regular eye doctor since it was an emergency appt. He said that if it gets worse or if curtains seem to be coming down or in from the side, I need to call right away. But he says it should gradually improve and that the floaters that don't go away...my brain will train me not see them.

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Alpha list. https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...262-post1.html
Old 12-31-2018, 06:04 PM   #770
Glitter Guru

Happy New Year! It's only 6:00pm here so a ways to go. I made a Happy New Year card for Karen's TLC challenge and just got it posted, so it's my greeting to all of you!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:24 PM   #771
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I don't think I have asked this question before. If you could only choose one type of image to create with for the next year what would it be? I don't mean a specific stamp but a specific theme: birds, flowers, people, tree, hearts, etc What would it be?

Angie, It would probably be no surprise, but I would chose my fashion stamps. I could be very happy for all the next 12 months!

Happy New Year you East Coasters...
And to a robust SCS in the coming year!
Old 12-31-2018, 10:23 PM   #772
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I love how your brain works Susan! Eunice sends her love, as do I.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:30 PM   #773
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Not all of you will know Eunice....she is a Teapot tickle card I received from Susan a couple of years ago.....ahhhh just one more reason I love being a Splitcoastie.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:35 AM   #774
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Yikes, Kathy, that sounds scary. I'm glad it's not the retina. I'm trying to remember what it was that my optician said to go straight in if I ever experienced but I can't remember how she described it, maybe as fireworks.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #775

Awww! Eunice is a hoot, Susie!!!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #776

The Color challenge is UP! Pretty!

Teapot challenge is up and we are to use the phrase Happy New Year to inspire our cards, check out the challenge for the details!

Here are my questions:
Did you stay up until midnight to ring in the new year?
Did you kiss anyone?
Do you have a crafty goal for 2019?
Do you have an SCS goal for 2019?

I did stay up until midnight.
I had a glass of wine earlier in the night but I didn't get up and refill my glass for a toast at midnight. LOL
I was not alone like I thought I would be. My daughter got bored at her party and was home by 10.00 and we watched the ball drop together!
I did not kiss anyone. My daughter and I were too tired to move! LOL
I would like to learn to watercolor in 2019
I would like to save my MOST favorite weekly favorite to a Pinterest Board so that the year end list would be easier to create. I hope to comment on more cards then I did in 2018!

Now it's your turn!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #777
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

That's a lot of questions .

Nope, didn't stay up. I think the millenium might be the last time I did.
We went to bed early and did the jumbo Christmas crossword from the Christmas Eve edition of the national paper.

Nope, didn't kiss anyone - I think I was asleep by then, though I might not have been because I did hear a lot of fireworks going off.

Crafty goal - don't tend to make them. As usual I will try to use more DP and ribbon. I love the way little ribbon tabs look, I just don't ever remember to add them. I don't see having enough time to take on a bigger goal!

SCS goal - I'd have to think about that. Yours sounds like a good one. One favourite a week would be a good long list at the end of the year, but not overpowering. Maybe to actually USE my Favourites more would be a good one, because the reason I don't have a lot each week isn't that there aren't tons of fabulous cards out there; it's because I tend to save ones that trigger something for me, a way to use something, a design element, a technique...But lack of time would once again be a problem when it comes to carrying through on referring back to those I have saved.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #778
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

We did stay up, hubs made a batch of Pepperoni sticks and then when it came time to put them in the smoker ( he estimated it to take 5 hours) our outside temp kept dropping so the meat did not reach the internal temp needed until 12:20am... so, 3 and a half hours longer than anticipated. Then, there was a delay waiting for the smoker to cool off ( single digits outside did not take too long) to haul it back inside the garage. ( there is an auger where the pellets feed inside of it to make it smoke and if it gets condensation it there it clogs it all up and will make it not work) so...

we did not watch the ball drop, (hallmark Christmas Movies reruns) and did not kiss or toast. ( I am normally in bed hours before this, but I made my self stay awake as hubs was rubber necking through those movies )

I do not really make goals, I started sorting my cling rubber stamps last year onto laminated sheets and I am still doing that, but I did make a big dent in the piles of dvd cases over the holidays so far and hope to get a few more sheets done today. (last day off) I broke up my wood mounted sets years ago and I put off doing it to the clings because, I was not going to buy very many sets this way Then I got a MISTI and clear sets followed along breeding like rabbits...

so, after the dresser drawers filled to the rim with boxes I knew I needed to sort the same way as the others just to find things.

My Blog
Old 01-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #779
Glitter Guru

I didn't stay up. I was supposed to go to a dinner party at a friend's house, but the host had strep throat so it was cancelled. I watched the last two episodes of a great British political thriller called Bodyguard, drank a glass of wine, and went to bed at 11:00. Gave my sweet little dog a kiss on top of her head!

Crafty goals seem to be the same each year - organize my craft room better, use up dp, cull stuff I don't use.

SCS goal - never thought of having one, but I love yours, Angie. As I'm struggling to get my CAS Favorites of the Year list ready to post, I'm thinking there must be a better way so might adopt your Pinterest method for 2019.

berlycece likes this post.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #780
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi friends, and Happy New Year!

I just caught up on several pages after lurking the last couple of weeks. I am now hungry for cottage pie, which my mom made, but we called it shepherd's pie. I am also grateful that Kathy got to the doctor on time to keep her eyes in good health!

I have several crafty goals for 2019. The last 3 years, I chose a particular SCS challenge to complete for the whole year. Not necessarily in order or "on time." In 2016 I did all of the color challenges; 2017 was sketch, last year was F4A, but I didn't complete them. I also barely blogged, and barely made Christmas cards. And I rarely visited other stamp blogs or did those challenges.

I found myself spending too much time on Facebook or watching Netflix, and my craft time suffered. I am regrouping and recommitting to the creative juices that bring me joy. So...

I hope to complete each of the Inspiration challenges this year. I am often busy on Saturday mornings, but my hubby may be working a lot of Saturdays (2nd shift) because we are trying to save money for a kitchen remodeling project. While he's working, I can stamp. I am also going to try to complete at least 2 other SCS challenges during the week. As much as I enjoy other blogs, I have been too scattered this year, in more ways than one! I think by focusing on one site, I'll be more productive and creative. I've never done the teapot challenge, so I'll dip into that as well.

Getting my space reorganized is a perpetual dream, but it needs to happen soon! I recently got a referral for in-home physical therapy, at least for a few months. I am blessed to have a raised therapy mat at one end of my room. But it is a large FLAT surface. Is it cleared off?? Occasionally! With a therapist coming to visit, guess who has to get her act together! LOL Having someone come by will probably motivate me to organize the stacks of paper, spools of ribbon, and loads of stamps too. For Christmas, I got a Stamp n Storage ink caddy that holds 60 SU ink pads/markers/refills. I have well over 100 colors now, so my first order of business is to decide which colors are leaving. It's not going to be easy!

Hubby is at work now; he's on the maintenance crew for the local Quaker plant, so even when there is nothing being made, someone has to be there to make sure a boiler doesn't blow up, or whatever. The holiday pay will have to go to kitchen cabinets, not stamp stuff. I have to tell myself this ALL year! I can do this!

One4Joy likes this post.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #781
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Susan, we watched "Bodyguard" as well - so good!

I am not much of a goal setter or resolution maker. I tend to set short term goals for myself, around the house, in my crafting, at the gym, etc. I did buy some cling film for unmounting a bunch of my wood mounted stamps down to bare rubber. I'm going to apply some Tack n Peel to a section of my MISTI lid for using them. I read about this method on a thread somewhere here recently - now I need to go find it again! I'm really wanting to reduce the space my stamps take up. So, since this is a big job, I guess I actually do have a longer term stamping goal.
berlycece likes this post.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #782
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie australiaView Post
Not all of you will know Eunice....she is a Teapot tickle card I received from Susan a couple of years ago.....ahhhh just one more reason I love being a Splitcoastie.

yes, we need Eunice on the RED carpet...along with her sis Bernice! I am thinking I can make that happen.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #783
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Heart

Happy New Year everyone!

I love this community. I love we can all come in and go out and then come in again. Some peeps will miss you and you'll feel like home again. You'll miss others and wonder... No matter how active or not, how large a group or not...SCS is what WE make it. I love we can share our struggles, large or small and be loved and accepted and lifted up! I love we can pour out our art and hearts. SCS is just the best, because we are the makers.

Here's to a world of wonder to be created this year!

hugs, big ones.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #784
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

The Sketch challenge is up: sketch challenge 730 1 2 19 a t627484.html

"Expectations are infinite. Time is finite. You are always choosing. Choose well.”
Old 01-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #785

Bodyguard! We liked it and burned right through it! We don't watch very much during Steve's work week because he is absolutely determined to stay on a schedule since he gets up at 3am BUT we do watch Netflix on his day off and we tend to spend several hours burning through a good series!

Stacy, you made me laugh....breeding like rabbits! Ha! And the meat sticks sound yummy!

Kim, that is so cool that you have created a card for a particular challenge all year! I am excited that this year will be the IC!!!

Susan Bri, I forgot that I DID kiss my cat several times!!! She was stretched upwards with her paws nearly on my shoulders sleeping. It was just so sweet, I couldn't help but kiss her!

Susan (One4Joy) I love your positive comment! That is definitely what it's all about.

Sabrina, that is a sweet picture you painted of your New Years evening!

I am off to check out the sketch challenge. I have a card due later this week, I will see if the sketch can help me make it!
Old 01-02-2019, 03:49 AM   #786
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi Ladies! I just stumbled on your chat by accident. It's amazing after 3 years how you can still find new things here. LOL! Happy 2019, my friends! Angie, I think that is a great idea to make an absolute favorites Pinterest board. I don't pin nearly enough things. I did not make it to midnight on New Year's Eve. We did go to a cousin's house, but my Raleigh has been sick, so we left at ten. I went to bed right after I posted my color challenge sample. My crafty goal for the year is to first try to use an image or stamp that I've never used before (a goal I started last week) and to make more cards this year than the 667 that I made in 2018. I better get going on my cards for the morning instead of poking around here--can't help it--you all are so much fun

~Jen~
Old 01-02-2019, 07:12 AM   #787
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

So, funny true story. I have to go back to work today...

and when I read the sketch challenge was up, I was like what happened to the CAS and the TLC??? ( and then I went and looked and realized it is wed already)

My Blog
Old 01-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #788
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Haha! The best kind of Wednesday is one that you think is a Monday! I'm so out of practice that I got my kid to school late. How embarrassing.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #789
Glitter Guru

Just think how lovely and short your work week will be!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
So, funny true story. I have to go back to work today...

and when I read the sketch challenge was up, I was like what happened to the CAS and the TLC??? ( and then I went and looked and realized it is wed already)
Old 01-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #790
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

Quote:

So glad you had the flashes & floaters checked ASAP!

Here's a 2019 word for the wise: Ladies, when you have ANY unusual symptoms in your vision, make an appointment with an optometrist or opthalmologist promptly. List every single unusual item. Glaucoma and other diseases permanently damage vision, and they are often painless. Thus, you may be unaware until serious vision loss is noticed. Make an eye appointment part of your plan early this year ... get'er done.
(Not preaching, just advising stampy friends.)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #791

Thanks Bev! Good advice!!

Jennifer 667???!!!!! Thud! You are amazing!
My daughter goes back to school on Friday AND she has a doctor appointment. I can see myself forgetting!!!

Stacy, I get so goofed up with the slightest changes to the schedule. My husband's days off rotate every 4 weeks, I am always just a little lost!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #792
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
So glad you had the flashes & floaters checked ASAP!

Here's a 2019 word for the wise: Ladies, when you have ANY unusual symptoms in your vision, make an appointment with an optometrist or opthalmologist promptly. List every single unusual item. Glaucoma and other diseases permanently damage vision, and they are often painless. Thus, you may be unaware until serious vision loss is noticed. Make an eye appointment part of your plan early this year ... get'er done.
(Not preaching, just advising stampy friends.)

Thanks Bev. The doctors told me to check it, even if I think its OK. I knew there were way too many floaters but the flashes are what made me call!

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Alpha list. https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...262-post1.html
Old 01-02-2019, 09:58 PM   #793

I am headed to bed but Sabrina is our WT721 hostess this week and she has a fun challenge for us!

How about a non-crafty but WT721 related question? What was your first automobile?

Mine was a used Red Nova!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:22 PM   #794
Glitter Guru

Mine was my mother's very old green VW Beetle that she passed on to me - one of the really old ones without a gas gauge so you never knew when you'd run out of gas! If you did, you kicked over a little lever down on the floor and you got a reserve gallon to get you to the nearest gas station!

I don't have a single automobile stamp or die, so I'll pass on the WT challenge and get something done tomorrow for Monday's CAS challenge that I never got done.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:39 AM   #795
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

My sister had a Nova. I remember sliding around on those vinyl seats. My first car was a 1990 Geo Prizm. I actually quite liked that car until I seized the engine by allowing it to run out of oil. 17 year olds should not be allowed to own cars. Haha!
Old 01-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #796
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I've never had my own car... though I did act as occasional chauffeur as well as cook when I was working in Guernsey. Somehow I was the only one in the family who learnt to drive at 17...probably because I shared a white Fiat 128 estate with my older half-brother.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:51 AM   #797
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Neither my husband nor I owned a car until after we were married. We bought a demo VW Rabbit and since neither of us knew how to drive a manual at the time my BIL had to drive it off the lot for us. I really liked that car.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #798
Proud Fan Club Member

I didn't have a car until DH and I got married. We shared his 1963 Ford Galaxy 500. Wish we still had it but back then it was more a clunker. Today it would be an awesome show car. Who knew? LOL
Old 01-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #799
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Oh, fun car talk : ). My DH had a red Nova before we were married - he raced it at the local drag races. My first car was a silver Chevy Vega, what a piece of junk! I drive it until it about rusted out. Then I had a new, turquoise VW Rabbit. I had to practice in empty parking lots until I got the hang of the manual transmission. I loved that car, though - it was zippy! Funny, the similarities in cars, here.
Sabrina, you lived on Guernsey? The one of Potato Peal Society
fame? My book group enjoyed that book and we loved the movie last year!
howdyheidi likes this post.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #800
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

VWs seem popular as a first car! Mine was a VW Polo, bought from the librarian in the university department where I had my first secretarial job. Manual transmission is very much the norm here in the UK, most people learn to drive in a manual. It is possible to get a license that would only let you drive an automatic (if you have a regular license you can drive either).

My blog