Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #41
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I has a sad because the MIX is the one challenge where I am not on the team which I like to always try to play along with; but when it posts late (it's now 4.40 in the afternoon here), then it's not practical. Maybe sometimes in the summer when the evenings are bright I can get creative later, but not with the darker evenings. The mornings it's posted early and I'm lucky enough to be on a day off, I feel as I'd just got three in a row on a slot-machine and all the coins are pouring out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
cjzim and One4Joy like this post.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #42

The Friday challenges are Free for All and Mix-Ability challenges plus there is a monthly scrapbook sketch challenge! Splitcoaststampers truly has a challenge for everyone!

This week's Free For All is balloons! That is sure to be a happy gallery!

Let's chat Mix! Do you play the Mix-ability challenges? What have you learned from playing with mixed-media? If you have a favorite MIX card in your gallery post a link so we can enjoy it too!

I learned from the Mix challenge that it doesn't have to be a huge project and cover the entire page. I love it when Lydia shows small pieces of "Mix" on her cards. This is a style I want to grow in.

THIS card from last year is a favorite but my all time favorite is THIS card from way back in 2013 when I first started experimenting with mixed media. It just felt like the background came together magically. I love it when art feels like magic.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:02 AM   #43

Sabrina, I LOVE your MIX cards! I have one sitting in my entryway right now. A very happy bee and lots of sparkle. It makes me smile!
Cook22 likes this post.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #44
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I really love the mixability challenges - even if I don’t manage to play I always look to see what the challenge is.

Lydia’s recent oxidised shaving foam one was great fun, I made a couple of cards at the time and have a stack of backgrounds to use (I just made another one from the stack, I’ve blogged it but must add it to my gallery too!).

Probably my fave Mix challenge card though is this one - it was my first play with a Gelli plate and I learned loads!

Sabrina, that mermaid pin is fabulous!

My blog
UnderstandBlue and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #45
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Angie - that all-time favourite is gorgeous. I like it when mixed media and CAS work together.

The "just a little bit" is a lesson it took me a long time to learn. For the odd time I play in the colour challenge, for example, it's easier for me if I remind myself that a) the given colours don't have to fill the whole card, and b) just a smidge of one of them is enough to count. Same with some "background" techniques. The one I ended up making for the oxidised shaving foam, my background piece was only actually the background in a polaroid frame, so overall maybe less than a quarter of the card.

I have a LOT of personal favourite cards in my folder of cards I've made for the MIX challenges, but among the top are probably these two:

MIX 5 Masked

MIX55 Journey into the Unknown

But I could list at least thirty real favourites I've made for this challenge started .

I love a lot of the techniques I've learned. I think your card was a just for fun one, because I totally enjoy the layered gesso background tutorial, and often when I have spare time, just start out making one of those for pure enjoyment.

Some mixed media stuff is less practical because I craft in the attic - that's why it took till DTGD this year for me to actually try out gel printing. But I love that, and it will be worth hiking all my acrylics and stencils downstairs for a session every now and again. The problem is - I'm not very good at using up backgrounds I really like . DH sent one of my gel print cards to his host in Maine last month, and he kept saying "will you make another one just like it". Well, I can't - it's gone, and that's that. Anything requiring lots of water - the nail polish marbling, or alcohol ink ditto, is also a downstairs job.
ohmypaper! likes this post.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #46
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

I am enjoying reading this thread so much! What awesome works of art!!!
muscrat and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #47

Joanne, I made a ton of backgrounds from Lydia's challenge. It was SUPER fun but I may not use many of them until spring. The only reinkers I have were soft colors green and yellow. I would love to try that technique again with blues for ocean and galaxy backgrounds.

I went and commented on both Joanne and Sabrina's cards linked. Fabulous!!!

Sabrina, I believe I have had my gelli plate for three years!! DTGD had me pulling it out for the first time this year. I REALLY want to do the technique I learned again but first I need to find the right materials. For me there is a little bit of an intimidation factor but it is a lot of fun.

Yes, what you said, "Well, I can't - it's gone, and that's that." Yep!!!! They are one of a kind. I actually tried several times to recreate a similar background to the 2013 card but never could. Still, it's fun that we can make more original art any time we wish although it's difficult when the art room isn't on the main floor!!!
hoptownracer1 likes this post.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoptownracer1 View Post
I am enjoying reading this thread so much! What awesome works of art!!!

hello!!! So glad you are enjoying the thread! I just stopped by your gallery! What cute cards!! I love the kitty scrapbook!

I see several cute kitty cards in your gallery. Is your avatar a pic of your kitty?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Yes, he was my first cat as an adult. His name was Mr. Kitty. He was so special to me. He helped me to mature as an adult, and gave me my first taste of real responsibility and nurturing. In fact, my first place, I got mostly, so that he would have a better setup to live in. He had come up to my parent's house, and he was very badly hurt. The vet had to remove his leg, so he was a three legged cat. He couldn't stay inside with our dogs, so he stayed in the old house that my dad used for a shop. Well, Winter was coming, so I had to find a better place for him, so I bought a trailer and we put it on my parent's property. Then I married, and he moved to town to the house my husband and I bought, and was our baby for a long time! Sorry, didn't mean to write a book. Don't get me to talking about my cats; I will YAK on and on!
Thank you for your sweet comments on my cards and kitty book!
cjzim, Cook22 and muscrat like this post.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #50

Oh, I love stories about kitties, you can write any time!! That was a wonderful thing you did for Mr. Kitty! THANK you so much for stopping by my gallery too! So sweet of you!!!
Old 09-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #51
Pearl-ExPert

I just got done commenting on all the Free 4 All entries this week posted thus far for the Balloon theme. I expected lots of birthday card and some Hot Air balloons, and then there is an unexpected Halloween card that works so well too!

Designs for Just for Fun & I Brake for Stamps
Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #52

Heidi, that is awesome! That is what I love about the Splitcoaststampers community. We don't compete with one another we admire one another! It's so fun to browse the project galleries and leave happy comments!

Today's Inspiration Challenge is a very pretty one! Flags are our inspiration.

I adore what I created but I didn't actually start on it until 1:30 in the morning! Yikes. The last few days have been a bit odd. Only about 3 hours of sleep a night, I had a bit of a stomach bug during the day so I was creating in the evening and my card just would NOT come together and then just as it was finally coming together I SMUDGED it. OH my! I walked away from the desk and cleaned something and thought about giving up but I am no quitter! I walked back into my art room, scrapped my Father-in-law's card and started all over! I am in LOVE with what I ended up with. Completely different set of flags inspired this and I was done in a half hour. It photographed quickly and boom done. I still had some tidying to do so I didn't end up falling into bed until 3 am but I felt accomplished. LOL

Do you ever stay up late to create? How often would you say your first idea for a challenge ends up in the trash or put aside in favor of another idea?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #53
Kookie Creator

I've been enjoying reading this chat. I look at the challenges daily, but often life gets in the way. I was able to stamp a bit this morning and take a photo! I don't often get a photo taken right away, or it is not good, etc. Today has been a good day. I combined the Clean and Simple challenge with the Free For All challenge. The frame was more difficult, I thought, as I cut it thin and decided to pop it up. It was getting crooked and sticking too quickly. I had fun with the balloons and even pulled out an old punch.

Here is my card that I am talking about: F4A448 CAS499 Birthday Wishes by lovinpaper - at Splitcoaststampers
hoptownracer1, muscrat and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #54

My first idea for a challenge doesn't get trashed, usually. Mine don't end up in the garbage can very often. But, I have (yesterday) been working on a card and had to take it completely apart for one reason or another and start it again. Ugh!
Now, Angie, I know why you changed from an owl to a kitty on today's IC card. Funny...well, maybe not.

I don't sleep very well but I don't get up at night and work on cards. I probably should instead of turning the tv on and watching the news. Who could go back to sleep after that?

I'm going back to my IC site for a lot more inspiration, I believe...especially with snowmen. I love them to pieces.
2014 CAS Spring DT---Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess
Hebrews 13:2

Brenda
Old 09-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #55

Lisa, I think you and I like paper!!! I checked out your card and your frame looks great! So glad you are enjoying this chat thread!
Old 09-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #56

Brenda, here is proof! lol Different layouts etc. Then I smudged my final try and accidentally stamped over the tree and one of the owls and I threw up my hands and said I was done which ended up being a win because I love how the kitty card turned out.

I will give it another try when I am fresh! Who knows the end result might even be inspired by a future IC!

Ugh about the news. No that is not conducive to a peaceful night's sleep! Not being able to sleep is the worst!

Last edited by ohmypaper!; 09-22-2018 at 04:24 PM..
JBgreendawn and hoptownracer1 like this post.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #57

Ha...that little owl looks as if he is crying out to be used. I see some pretty Fall leaves, too. I'll be watching for it later to be a card instead of just pieces. I love your kitty card.
I agree, not sleeping is the pits.
2014 CAS Spring DT---Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess
Hebrews 13:2

Brenda
Old 09-23-2018, 05:37 AM   #58

We are celebrating Angelica Turner today on the Featured Stamper Challenge. I took a quick glance at her gallery. Oh my! She has some gorgeous creations. I spy a lot of flowers in her gallery.

Do you have a favorite flower stamp or die?
Old 09-24-2018, 07:15 AM   #59

The CAS challenge celebrates their 500th challenge this week!!! We are to add silver or gold.

Who's in? Wouldn't it be fun if everyone who stopped by today to read this would play in the challenge? It would be fun to knock the socks off the CAS team by filling their gallery to overflowing!

The technique challenge is marker marbling and it looks like such a fun technique!

Have you tried any marbling techniques? What did you think?

I have tried:
Nail Polish Marbling.
MISTI Marbling.
Lydia's Oxidized Shaving Cream Marbling.

Last edited by ohmypaper!; 09-24-2018 at 07:21 AM..
hoptownracer1 and kiagc like this post.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #60
Stazon Splitcoast

I've got my card made for the CAS challenge - just need to photograph and post it.

The only marbling I've done is with shaving cream and reinkers (this old SCS tutorial), so will have to give today's TLC challenge a try.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #61
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I've done the regular shaving foam marbling, and tried Lydia's. Some years back Andy Skinner posted a tutorial here on marbling on water with alcohol inks - I tried that, too. Some time I'd love to try the real thing, but the inks are so expensive. I've seen a kit reduced in an art shop, but it's hard to tell what's missing, and how old it might be - it's still a bit more than I'd be happy spending. I tried the nail polish for your DTGD challenge, Angie...and I've tried Audrie's Alcohol Marker marbling tutorial too. But I don't have a lot of alcohol markers, so a bit like you with the water-based markers, I tend to use alcohol inks carefully dripped on.

I spent far too long this afternoon making two cards for Judy's challenge, so I still have to get the floors washed before I go to bed. Lesson learned - usually I either get up early when I see the challenge, or make myself do the housework first. But the weather has turned colder here, and my attic is not very inviting any more at 7 a.m.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #62
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I’ve done regular shaving foam marbling and Lydia’s oxidised one - both great fun. My difficulty comes with actually using the backgrounds! It’s not quite as bad as my “brain freeze” when faced with patterned paper but it’s close!

My blog
Old 09-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #63

Sabrina, there never seems to be quite enough time, does there. I didn't get to a card today. I hope to still play in the CAS challenge though. I was out for most of the day. It's hard to create in the cold. Before we bought new furnaces I would wear gloves in the house. My friend Janeen bought me fingerless gloves so I could craft! That's dedication! thankfully new heating and air have made our house comfy all year round at half the cost!!

Joanne, I totally get that! I always want to use my background in a modern CAS sort of way and sometimes I am stumped. The same with patterned paper. I LOVE it but I don't know how to use it most of the time.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:10 AM   #64

There is so much to inspire us today in the daily challenges.

Anita has chosen the cutest book teapot for the photo and has included a PDF for a tutorial on creating a book for this week's Teapot Challenge. Now my creative process doesn't eagerly jump to multi-step designs but this actually looks fairly easy with the benefit of being a HUGE wow to the recipient!

Shaded Mango Grove is this week's color combo challenge.

These challenges could be easily combined. Do you find it easy to combine challenges?

For me, it depends on the challenges I am combining. Sometimes I think I will be able to do it and then I get that buzzy feeling in my head and the project doesn't come together so I drop it but sometimes it all comes together like a dream. Case in point was Friday's owl card. I was hoping to combine that with MFT's sketch challenge. I used patterned paper for the first try. Bleck. Second try you can see in the photo I posted on comment #56, I made my own border by stamping leaves. Cute but too busy for the scene I was creating. So I gave up the sketch idea and tried two more times before giving up completely on the owls. LOL.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #65
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Challengers - a quick question. Although late to the party, I finally did a challenge (Free For All - Balloons) and wanted to edit it. I’ve only participated in a few challenges, so my old memory is vague, but was sure there was an edit button, and don’t see it. I’m on an iPad/Safari if that matters.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #66
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Hi Challengers - a quick question. Although late to the party, I finally did a challenge (Free For All - Balloons) and wanted to edit it. Iíve only participated in a few challenges, so my old memory is vague, but was sure there was an edit button, and donít see it. Iím on an iPad/Safari if that matters.

On my iPad, I find it easier to navigate this site if I request the desktop site. You do that by touching and holding the circle arrow (refresh site) to the right of the URL. A little message will show up that says Request Desktop side.

For some reason, I have to do this twice to get the desktop site.

Anyhow, once you do that, the edit photo there underneath and to the right of all your photo details.

I hope I explained that well enough!

Cook22 and bjeans like this post.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:10 AM   #67
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:
Hi Challengers - a quick question. Although late to the party, I finally did a challenge (Free For All - Balloons) and wanted to edit it. Iíve only participated in a few challenges, so my old memory is vague, but was sure there was an edit button, and donít see it. Iím on an iPad/Safari if that matters.
You mean you want to edit your gallery submission? At the bottom of where all the details are under the photo, thereís something that says ďedit photoĒ (itís on the right hand side). Click on that and you can edit any of the text fields (keyword, description etc) or even change to a new photo.

HTH!

My blog
bjeans likes this post.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #68
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Typing at the same time as Heidi!

My blog
Old 09-25-2018, 08:16 AM   #69
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you Heidi and Joanne, quick-as-two-bunnies challenge helpers! Joanne, yes on the PC, but no edit button when using the iPad normally. And Heidi, also had to press the refresh icon twice to make it work - never knew that!

Beth
Old 09-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #70
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I must have something set up differently as I’m currently on the iPad and checked the gallery before posting my answer as you’d said you were using your iPad!

My blog
Old 09-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #71
Hardware Hotshot

I think the iPad has to be used on the desktop setting? Once I did that, it worked. I don’t remember having to do that in the past, but after changing it using the method Heidi suggested, it worked and the edit button re-appeared.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #72
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I think the iPad has to be used on the desktop setting? Once I did that, it worked. I donít remember having to do that in the past, but after changing it using the method Heidi suggested, it worked and the edit button re-appeared.

Iím glad it worked. At some point, I automatically got the mobile site on my iPad, but I very much prefer the desktop site so I always have to switch. Glad it isnít just me that has to do it twice for it to work!

bjeans likes this post.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #73
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdyheidi View Post
Iím glad it worked. At some point, I automatically got the mobile site on my iPad, but I very much prefer the desktop site so I always have to switch. Glad it isnít just me that has to do it twice for it to work!

I loathe, abhor and detest the mobile site. I sent umpteen feedbacks to Chrome pointing out how many people wish that they could choose the desktop option even on a mobile device. And then I voted with my fingers and switched to an Android browser which actually does let me default to desktop. The mobile forum is bad enough, the mobile gallery is absolutely lousy. But I believe that if you want Google to rate you, you have to comply with their diktats. And I sent Lydia a screen capture showing how long it takes to move an upload...far too long.

I do like combining challenges, because I'm working on the basis that challenges are there to inspire me so if I have a couple in mind, they often work well together. I've just used one of my TLC backgrounds to make a card for next week's TPT challenge. I didn't get to it till late, as I spent the afternoon sewing up DH's new winter sweater while waiting for the boiler to be serviced. I guess I like combining techniques with themes.
howdyheidi likes this post.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #74
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
I loathe, abhor and detest the mobile site. I sent umpteen feedbacks to Chrome pointing out how many people wish that they could choose the desktop option even on a mobile device. And then I voted with my fingers and switched to an Android browser which actually does let me default to desktop. The mobile forum is bad enough, the mobile gallery is absolutely lousy. But I believe that if you want Google to rate you, you have to comply with their diktats. And I sent Lydia a screen capture showing how long it takes to move an upload...far too long.

I do like combining challenges, because I'm working on the basis that challenges are there to inspire me so if I have a couple in mind, they often work well together. I've just used one of my TLC backgrounds to make a card for next week's TPT challenge. I didn't get to it till late, as I spent the afternoon sewing up DH's new winter sweater while waiting for the boiler to be serviced. I guess I like combining techniques with themes.
And combining crafting with mechanical fixes? Photo of sweater when youíre done, please!

I wonder if the workingness (made-up word) of the mobile site depends to some extent on the browser? Using the iPad with Safari itís been 90% smooth going - the only problems have been highlighting text sometimes (not always), BACKSPACING (makes the whole page jump so I have to scroll back, hate that and it used to be fine), and today, editing photos.

Switching to desktop was annoying because when typing, the letters appeared v e r y s l o w l y. Iíd backspace too many times to delete a letter and many letters would slowly disappear too.
On the PC with Chrome spacing is weird, but everyone knows that.

I need to do more challenges. I did four or five one week to prove to myself I could, and it taught me I didnít have to take three days or have Grand ideas to make one little card.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #75
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I just came across this great thread - thanks for starting it, Angie! I love doing as many challenges here as I can fit in. I've been doing them for 12 or 13 years, sometimes I have more time to participate than others. I feel like most of the people I " know" on this site I met through the challenges - such a great community!
I've been lucky to have been the featured stamper and QFTD, and have been a guest designer on quite a few of the challenges - such honors! I've also requested a tea party in the last year which richly blessed the recipient. I've only been participating in that challenge for a relatively short time and it's become one of my favorites.
The challenge that is hardest for me is the color challenge - as someone pre viously said, it makes my brain freeze, ha! I love the CAS, WtUI and Free4All challenges most!
Cook22 and peeps321 like this post.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:56 AM   #76

Claudia, I totally agree with you. I feel like I have gotten to "know" people by doing the challenges too. It's so fun to read descriptions and find out more about the artist. When we play challenges and read descriptions week after week it's almost like we are stamping together! I love it when I see a card I can sometimes tell who created it before I even see their avatar. I love reading the stories that get included in a card description. We even get a chance to "meet" pets. Some that come to mind are Dolly the nocturnal dog, Sweet Tess who is a survivor, CeCe the ever so helpful bird and many more!
cjzim and Cook22 like this post.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:09 AM   #77

Not a fan of mobile either. Glad to see questions were answered! I just checked bjeans pizza card! SOOO cute!

Sabrina, you are multitalented!!!!
bjeans likes this post.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:14 AM   #78

It's sketch day today! Ally has created a really interesting sketch. The gallery is already filling up with unique cards! Today's challenge isSC716. How will you fill up the Diamond space?
Old 09-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #79
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

I just found this thread, Angie! What a great idea for a discussion. My all-time favorite challenge of the week is the Inspiration Challenge. I've been on the Sketch Challenge team (just finishing up a 6-month stint this week), so that is one I enjoy also. Sorry to say that I don't have as much time to play along every day any more.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #80
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
And combining crafting with mechanical fixes? Photo of sweater when youíre done, please!

I wonder if the workingness (made-up word) of the mobile site depends to some extent on the browser? Using the iPad with Safari itís been 90% smooth going - the only problems have been highlighting text sometimes (not always), BACKSPACING (makes the whole page jump so I have to scroll back, hate that and it used to be fine), and today, editing photos.

Switching to desktop was annoying because when typing, the letters appeared v e r y s l o w l y. Iíd backspace too many times to delete a letter and many letters would slowly disappear too.
On the PC with Chrome spacing is weird, but everyone knows that.

I need to do more challenges. I did four or five one week to prove to myself I could, and it taught me I didnít have to take three days or have Grand ideas to make one little card.
Ha! My Odd Brain used to talk to me like that, too. I got over it, but it does take me a v..e..r..y l..o..n..g.. t..i..m..e to make anything. Good thing I enjoy the process!

One thing that happens to me with challenges - more often than I care to admit - is that I will look at an inspiration site or a Featured Stamper gallery and start collecting snips (hooray Microsoft snipping tool!) in folders on my desktop and run out of time to make any cards with all that inspiration. I have some very pretty folders, though!

DianeinSparks likes this post.