Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #721
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Shaving foam certainly counts for me, Angie. I would also count spray starch when I'm doing my cling-wrap backgrounds.

Yeah, I know clocks are great for New Year but that's a card I'm not sure I've ever made or sent except to French friends. But I do have a recipient in mind for the card I made - I've even set a calendar reminder to make sure I post it in time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #722
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmypaper!View Post
Here is a MIX question. I used Brushos and Reinkers so there were two mediums but does shaving cream count as a third medium?

I’d count it but I bet you have a third even if you don’t count the shaving cream - you stamped with something and I’d guess it want Brusho or reinker. If you’re being an absolute stickler then I guess a dye ink is the same as a reinker but a pigment/chalk/hybrid/solvent ink would be a third medium for sure!

My blog
Old 12-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #723

Thanks, Joanne and Sabrina! I always like to know what counts for the two mediums of a MIX since I tend to be fairly CAS and don't think to add very many different things to my cards.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #724

The last Inspiration Challenge of the year is up!!! We have a guest designer who chose our site this week! It's a lot of fun. Among other things, they have a line of Barbie clothes for real people. You can even choose an era between the 1920s and 1970s to compliment your style!

I hope to see you in the IC gallery this weekend!
One4Joy likes this post.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #725
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

That site and the real-people Barbie clothes is so cool! Our DGD is spending the weekend with us but I hope to find time to play in the challenge! I love the IC.

Last edited by cjzim; 12-29-2018 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-29-2018, 07:33 AM   #726
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Claudia I am so with you..the IC challenge rocks! And today's site is really fun...Barbie clothes for adults...who knew? I just posted my card....I "tried" to emulate Susan's style....I love her sample cards...
Old 12-29-2018, 11:02 AM   #727
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Today was a "busy in the kitchen" day for me, I never even got time to look at the site. I did find a card I made using the fabric I bought to line my swing coat, though! Here it is...from a long ago IC when I had more time, sigh...https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g.../photo/1129529
Old 12-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #728
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

decisions decisions, I seen the free for all was a winter thank you and the Ways to use it was the Swinging Z fold as an option and I have not made one in years and years so, I have a snowflake swinging z fold under construction and I don't feel thank-you ish about it... so, I may have to make something else. ( I really do need thank you cards again but, I tend to be more simple with those so, I can stick them in my mail box not haul them to the PO for weights and measures and such)

I would have no clue about going over the painting so that is very cool info to find out.

My Blog
Old 12-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #729
Glitter Guru

All I've had time for the past two days was a Free for All Winter Thank You card - something I need as I have to send one to my Dad to thank him for his Christmas gift. Busy with friends the rest of the weekend so will probably pass on this week's IC challenge.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #730
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Sabrina, that fabric you lined your coat with is very pretty. I love swing coats and am impressed you made one. I've never sewn anything that complex. My mother was an accomplished seamstress and made coats. I used to sew for myself and our daughter a lot but not anymore. The most complicated thing I ever made was a sundress with a gored skirt and coordinating fabrics - I loved that dress!

Stacy, I like simple thank you cards, as well and I need to get some made...I saw some simple and pretty ones made by DancesWithHooves with tree images in the gallery the other day.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #731

Such pretty fabric Sabrina!

So fun to see so many IC cards with vintage girls on them! I love vintage girls!

I have some deadline things but put them aside this afternoon when my son thought he was bringing a friend home for supper. My house was NOT company ready so I dropped everything and spent my time cleaning. Then DS walks in the door. No friend. AND he knew an hour before so I could have stopped cleaning and gotten a project done. He wasn't apologetic either. A clean house is nice though!!!
cjzim and One4Joy like this post.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:59 AM   #732
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Today's Featured Stamper is amisjag/ Barb Gregg: fs621 %5B12 30 18%5D barb gregg t627431.html

I have a vintage lady stamp so I'm hoping to grab 5 minutes to look over the IC and use her... or one of my Rubber Romance gals. Dinner today is pizza that I made the dough and filling for yesterday and then DH opted for deconstructed cottage pie, so not much cooking today.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:25 AM   #733
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

We had cottage pie for dinner...if I did anything deconstructed DH would think I dropped it LOL. Sabrina your card from 2008 is fabulous, I loved reading all the comments, especially from Anne Ryan when she called you "wee lass". I miss her.

When I was preparing My Favs list today all the links opened to cards in 2004, it was great seeing 14 year old creations...wow there have been so many changes!! Have a lovely week everyone.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:10 AM   #734
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Susie and Sabrina, can you tell those of us who don't know, what is cottage pie? I'm imagining something with meat, potatos and a crust. Am I close, or way off base?!
Old 12-30-2018, 07:28 AM   #735
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

what Claudia said
(that needs translated or a mug shot, no, no food photos, I am hungry )

My Blog
Old 12-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #736
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

No pie-crust or pastry. Meat (cottage is beef, shepherd's is lamb, now there's a surprise!!). It can be made from scratch but for most people it's a way of using up leftovers from the Sunday roast, so you chop the leftover meat finely and cook it with onions, vegetables, seasoning and in my case the leftover gravy always goes in too. It shouldn't be too wet, though - then it goes into a dish where it's topped with mashed potato, drizzled with butter for a crispy finish to the potato, and heated through in the oven.

Deconstructed for me is simply when I don't feel like starting early enough to do the mashed potato topping, so we just have the filling and boiled potatoes or mash on the side .

There's a South African equivalent we sometimes have too, Bobotie. That also can be cooked from fresh meat or leftovers - cooked with carrots, onions, celery, curry powder, turmeric, raisins, mango chutney for sweetness. That one gets a sort of custard topping - you put a few bayleaves over the meat layer and cook it for a bit, then you beat up an egg and milk and pour it over and cook till the custard is set - it's just a thin layer and picks up a lovely flavour from the bay leaves. Traditionally it's served with yellow rice, I often do it with baked potatoes on the side.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #737
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

That's exactly how I make cottage pie as well Sabrina. Bobotie sounds very interesting. We love those flavours in my house! I'd have to leave the raisins out though - DS doesn't like them. (how anyone can not like raisins is beyond me but there you are)
Old 12-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #738
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocksideView Post
That's exactly how I make cottage pie as well Sabrina. Bobotie sounds very interesting. We love those flavours in my house! I'd have to leave the raisins out though - DS doesn't like them. (how anyone can not like raisins is beyond me but there you are)
Ann, I'm with DS! I don't like raisins either. I like grapes, just not as raisins. Maybe its the chewiness? Not sure. I hate craisins, too, but with those, I also hate cranberries! The harvest salad at Wendy's has craisins in and quite a few!

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Alpha list. https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...262-post1.html
Old 12-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #739

So glad someone asked what Cottage pie was. So interesting!

No raisins for me either.

Susie, it IS interesting to see the changes throughout the years. I miss several ladies that are no longer with us due to various reasons.

Amisjag (Barb) has a great gallery!!!

I don't think I have asked this question before. If you could only choose one type of image to create with for the next year what would it be? I don't mean a specific stamp but a specific theme: birds, flowers, people, tree, hearts, etc What would it be?

So, I was thinking birds because I just love birds on cards and I don't use them enough but then I realized that was a really silly question on my part! Hands down if I could only create with one type of image during 2019, it would have to be cat images!
Old 12-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #740
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Both of those dishes sound amazing.

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 12-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #741
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Quote:

I don't think I have asked this question before. If you could only choose one type of image to create with for the next year what would it be? I don't mean a specific stamp but a specific theme: birds, flowers, people, tree, hearts, etc What would it be?
Gasp! Only one???!!! It would have to be flowers or House Mouse stamps.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #742
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I’ll take your first thought then Angie since it was my first thought before I read your answer to your own question! Birds are so versatile you’d be able to do masculine, feminine, birthday, sympathy, anniversary, Christmas... Open to a whole variety of styles, too!

My blog
Old 12-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #743
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I'd choose people images, which would include fairies because they are mystical people

Glad to know the difference between cottage and shepherd's pie. And I'll definitely have to try making Bobotie, sounds delicious.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #744
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Birds for me, I'm pretty sure. Yep, I was surprised you didn't say cats first off, Angie.

I could probably do a lot with hedgehogs but I'd get tired of them after a couple of months. One of the first big embroideries I did was an aviary with birds, and when I look at my tree decorations, there are a LOT of birds, and there are a bunch of them on my piano too, so I think that says it all.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #745
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Oh yes, birds hands down... ( I have them for all seasons )

My Blog
Old 12-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #746
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

It's funny how many people are saying birds; that would be very near the top for me as well, but trees might just edge them out by a hair. Oh my goodness, wouldn't it be terrible to have to limit yourself, though?!
Sabrina, thank you for the definition of cottage pie and for telling us the difference between it and shepherd's pie. I think I'd prefer cottage pie.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #747
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I love making one layer cards! I have some heavy weight Bristol cardstock that doesn’t bleed through with Copic colouring, at least for lighter colours - not sure how it would do with lots of dark shading. Interestingly, when I did a craft fair a few years back it was the packs of one layer cards that did sell, the more complex layered stuff not so much. I packaged five cards with mixed sentiments and themed images in cello bags tied with ribbon, hang on, I’ll see if I can find a picture, I’m sure I blogged some. Here we go, these were seaside themed ones:

One layer cards sometimes remind me of little, exquisite pieces of art. Like looking at small pieces of art in a gallery.

This one-layer card of yours is one of my all-time favorites:
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g.../photo/2880986
Old 12-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #748
Glitter Guru

I'd have to say birds too - I have so many, including many Christmas and winter ones, so they would allow me to indulge my love of making Christmas cards all year, and then the more generic birds could fill in all the other occasions.

But I'm glad we don't have to limit ourselves like that!!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #749
Glitter Guru

Leaves please.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #750

I am super glad we don't have to limit ourselves to one stamp either but it sure is interesting reading everyone's responses!!!

The TLC is up!!! Yay! I love that technique. I do believe I am going to create my Tuesday card with it!
Old 12-30-2018, 08:37 PM   #751
Inking Addict

Flowers, flowers, and more flowers for me...
berlycece likes this post.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:38 PM   #752

Beth, I agree with you on what you said about One Layer Cards being little works of art. The card you linked of Joanne's is one of my faves too!!
Old 12-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #753
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

The CAS challenge is up:

cas514 _memories past t627449.html

"Expectations are infinite. Time is finite. You are always choosing. Choose well.”
Old 12-31-2018, 12:34 AM   #754
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I have just caught up with this chatter....I had no idea that Cottage Pie and Sheppards pie are not universal. I love learning about our differences. I make a Moroccan version of the South African Bobotie, by adding ground coriander and cumin to the cottage pie, omit the potato and use dollops of Greek yogurt with a generous pinch or two of cumin and serve it with pitta bread or nann bread.

Back to our crafty chatter...birds...preferably crazy birds. Happy new year ladies. It's 7.30pm NY Eve here. I will raise a glass to your good health (at 9.30 after the kiddies fireworks), if I'm still awake at midnight something is very wrong LOL.

Edit: I just remember that coriander is called cilantro in some countries.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Last edited by susie australia; 12-31-2018 at 12:39 AM..
Old 12-31-2018, 01:04 AM   #755
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
One layer cards sometimes remind me of little, exquisite pieces of art. Like looking at small pieces of art in a gallery.

This one-layer card of yours is one of my all-time favorites:
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g.../photo/2880986

That’s very sweet of you Beth, thanks! (and Angie!).

Your pick of leaves for a single image type is a great one, all the versatility I thought of for birds would apply there too - if the stamp police rule out birds I think I’ll join you in the leaf camp!

My blog
Old 12-31-2018, 02:24 AM   #756
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Leaves would be a good one! But what I liked about birds was that they could cover cute, whimsical, fun, stylised, right through more realistic. Penny Black hens, TH crazy birds all the way up the scale...including Woodstock , though I think I only have two stamps featuring him without Snoopy. When I was thinking about this last night I also realized that the only tray of stamps (I use the Really Useful Boxes) that's not categorised by company (apart from Christmas) is the box titled Birds and Music, because I keep all my birds together.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:09 AM   #757
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I keep all my birds together also. As well as trees, leaves, flowers, etc. I've found I don't mind breaking up sets anymore if it makes sense to me organizationally - is that a word?!

Susie, I never would have imagined that coriander and cilantro equated!

I'm fighting a cold that won't go away but I'm looking forward to doing both challenges today...
when I drag myself off the couch, that is.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:44 AM   #758
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

yep, that is what I am doing right now. ( organizing cling stamps) and I am working through Christmas.
(so, its fun and old sets are seeing the light of day after years of solitary confinement. (eh, maybe its a general population situation) hahaha. (they have been in dvd cases by sets in drawers of a dresser.)

once when I was a tween my friends mom made something she called Shepherds Pie and it sounds like what you all are describing as Cottage pie, but she used ground beef and left over mashed potatoes for the top. ( and I remember it being not something that had a lot of flavor) but, it was interesting/different from anything I had at the time at home. ( My step mom is Portuguese who had been married as a young bride to an Italian so, most of what we had at home at that was tomato based and or spicier )

oh and we have both Cilantro ( mostly used in a leaf form) and Coriander mostly used as a seed type form)

My Blog
cjzim likes this post.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:12 AM   #759
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Ah, I never knew that if it was the seeds/ground spice you called it coriander. They're all the same plant, which I guess is why we call the leaves coriander too instead of cilantro.

And yes, a lot of people just use either shepherd's or cottage pie interchangeably as a generic term, but the actual difference as indicated by "shepherd" is that the shepherd's pie should be based on lamb . The only time I've had a purchased one, it wasn't ground/minced meat at all but more like a casserole with lumps of meat.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:22 AM   #760
Proud Fan Club Member

Checking in to wish everyone a happy new year. Having eye trouble. Started yesterday with floaters and flashing lights so got an appt this morning. I have PVD...posterior vitreous detachment. He said it was good to go in to make sure retina didn't detach, but its OK. Apparently PVD comes to some as part of the aging process. Since tomorrow is a holiday and the floaters and flashers were still there this morning I figured it would be a good idea to check it out. I have follow up in a month. Luckily my tablet can enlarge the letters because my eyes are still dialated. I asked about using my tablet and he said it was OK...yay!

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Alpha list. https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...262-post1.html
cjzim likes this post.