Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-28-2018, 11:20 PM   #521
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Cathy's WT challenge today is a recipe one: WT716 - Follow the Recipe (11/29/1 - Splitcoaststampers. It took me quite a bit of thinking to come up with a card for it.

I can't remember when all our signposts and speed limits switched to metric, some time within the last twenty years maybe? It doesn't help for a full conversion in that most cars, because the UK market is the dominant one for right-hand drive, still have the speed gauge in mph. Any European left-hand drive cars I've been in are fully metric. I do my best to think of distances in metric, but DH staunchly converts all the road signs for distances back into miles, and all his speed calculations. And true, it was easier to gauge travel time based on mph because 60 miles was approximately an hour. And an A6 metric (105 X 148mm) is not as easy to actually measure with a ruler as, say, 5 ½" X 4 ¼". Thank goodness for paper trimmers. The one thing I miss on the TH one is that it doesn't have as many metric sizes marked on it as my previous trimmer.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
susie australia and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:57 PM   #522
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Sadly we don't manufacture motor vehicles in Australia any more, but all vehicles must be in metric. Only vintage cards are allowed to have mph speedo's. When it comes to craft, I don't really have any trouble using metric or imperial, but I have no idea of imperial paper weights. I use standard 80gsm copy paper, 270 to 280gsm cardstock (depending on the brand) and the el cheapo water colour paper I use is 300gsm, but I have no idea what the equivalent weight are in pounds per inch.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.
ohmypaper! likes this post.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:26 AM   #523
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I should be better at paper equivalents because when I worked in fine art supplies import and distribution, we had both Winsor & Newton (mostly 90lb & 140lb but I think there was one heavier one too) and all the Canson and Arches papers which were firmly metric . I still remember the amazing 640 and 850 gsm Arches...I might still have a few small scraps left. Your 300gsm is 140lb, definitely the one we sold most of. It's much harder to find the lighter one now, which is a shame because I always try to use it if I am fussy-cutting watercolour.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:49 AM   #524
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I'd like another set of squares, but I don't know if the SB set I have is the large or small so I don't know which one I need...

I have the two SB square sets so if you measure yours Sabrina (just do the biggest one of the set) I can tell you which one you have.

I think SB ovals were my first dies, followed by circles. I held out against getting squares for ages (I can cut a square!) but I’m a sucker for the slightly rounded edge on a die cut and I eventually caved.

The ISO paper sizes that most of the world use have an extra appeal to me - the system has (mathematical) elegance! Halve any size sheet and you have the next size down, the proportions are always the same.

I’m enjoying reading this thread, even if I’m not raising my head above the parapet very often (I manage a challenge so rarely these days that I feel a bit of a fraud!).

My blog
Old 11-29-2018, 12:58 AM   #525
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
....I’m enjoying reading this thread, even if I’m not raising my head above the parapet very often (I manage a challenge so rarely these days that I feel a bit of a fraud!).

Joanne you must not think that! One of the things I love about SCS is you can come and go, you can be here a little or be here a lot....there is always a light on and someone's always home!

cjzim, TeeGeeDee, Angelnorth and 3 others like this post.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #526
Mad Swapper

In talking metric, both girls learned conversion in pre-Algebra to convert our Fahrenheit to Metric as well as distances, feet and inches to metric. However, it makes no sense in the US as we do not use Metric. Then there is the medical stuff. Every medication is measured in grams. Whenever something is found in the body, it is measures in mm. I can imagine the frustration when you are crafting and it the dimensions are in inches and you need them in metric.

I am enjoying reading the differences in our measurements and how difficult or easy it is to make it work.

Featured Stamper #671
susie australia likes this post.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #527

This talk is absolutely fascinating to me!

Joanne, I second what Susie said! Always feel free to jump in and chat ANYTIME! I am posting the challenges every day but I am not getting to play in them every day either. It's so fun to hear what everyone thinks. I love it that we have a place to chat about what we love: paper, ink, paints, etc!!!
Angelnorth, Benzi and susie australia like this post.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #528

Ok, so here is the question of the day. Since today's challenge is about following a recipe. Do you enjoy cooking with a recipe or do you prefer to wing it? Do you think the way you cook is also the way you create?

I prefer to follow a recipe when I cook. After I know the recipe I can tweak it but I am not good at simply coming up with something tasty.

I find a GOOD CAS sketch and a simple challenge frees me from stress when I am creating with paper too. Interesting.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #529
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Morning ladies. Ang I am a recipe follower for cooking and completely opposite with card making. With cooking I measure out all the ingredients before I start and I'm messy so I always wear an apron (vintage style in October Afternoon fabric). I can't cook to save my life but I look the part

With craft I am completely the opposite, I wing it all the way. My desk is organised chaos by the time I finish a card....and I never remember to put an apron on.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #530
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

If “slapdash” counts as a characterisation then yes, I probably create much the way I cook! I might look at a recipe the first time I try something or to get inspiration for a couple of random ingredients left in my fridge just before grocery shopping time. Even then though I’m likely to be subbing ingredients or otherwise winging it. Baking is different of course, things get properly weighed and measured and a recipe is generally consulted if cakes, cookies, breads etc are being created.

If it’s only at the end of a card making session your desk is organised chaos you’re ahead of me Susie - mine is more or less permanent chaos (and you can forget the organised bit, too!).

My blog
Old 11-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #531
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

LOL, I stay cleaner cooking if I don't wear an apron so while I have several ranging from functional to pretty, I don't use them. Most recipes I will wing and adapt and even invent, but when it comes to baking and some desserts I think it's better to follow the recipe. I have a large collection of cookery books, but would probably find it easy to choose a half dozen "desert island" picks. When I was working as a cook in the UK, I had three that travelled everywhere with me, and thirty years later I still use them regularly. To those I would add an Indian book and my favourite vegetarian book.

When cooking I tend to have a vague idea what meals I'm planning for the week, so I guess I have a fixed goal in mind. When I'm card-making it's more organic and evolves as I go. I prefer more open challenges to ones that I find confining, like colour and sketch.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:54 PM   #532
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Today's F4A is cowboys and Indians: F4A458 11/29/18 Cowboys And Indians

And the MIX is snowflakes, with bonus points for sparkling snowflakes. I see this as a great opportunity to use one or more of my large snowman collection . And, yay, I had to switch my day off in work so I'm actually off today and can go and have fun upstairs in daylight for a welcome change. It's not stuck at the top yet so it's easy to overlook but it's there: MIX305 Snowflake Time 11.30.18
muscrat and susie australia like this post.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:56 AM   #533

Yay, Sabrina! So glad you have the day off and can create! Both challenges look fun! Thank you so much for posting them!
Old 11-30-2018, 11:20 PM   #534

The IC is up! Julie is our hostess this week!

The Fan Club Christmas Challenge is up!

I will be back later with a question...I am up wayyyyy past my bedtime! Hugs!
Old 12-01-2018, 05:34 AM   #535
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmypaper!View Post
Ok, so here is the question of the day. Since today's challenge is about following a recipe. Do you enjoy cooking with a recipe or do you prefer to wing it? Do you think the way you cook is also the way you create?

I prefer to follow a recipe when I cook. After I know the recipe I can tweak it but I am not good at simply coming up with something tasty.

I find a GOOD CAS sketch and a simple challenge frees me from stress when I am creating with paper too. Interesting.

Oh that is a good question! And a good analogy for me. I do like to use a recipe, at least at first, then I usually go off and change it up as I see fit. And that is pretty much how I craft in challenges. I like challenges, but I tend to see them differently, or start with a sketch and use it but veer off in different ways too.

I had thought that was limited to crafting but maybe it is just who I am...

Designs for I Brake for Stamps
Old 12-01-2018, 07:31 AM   #536

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdyheidiView Post
Oh that is a good question! And a good analogy for me. I do like to use a recipe, at least at first, then I usually go off and change it up as I see fit. And that is pretty much how I craft in challenges. I like challenges, but I tend to see them differently, or start with a sketch and use it but veer off in different ways too.

I had thought that was limited to crafting but maybe it is just who I am...

I know what you mean! Until I asked the question, I hadn't thought about it either but I sure do see a method to my madness!
Old 12-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #537

I don't think I have asked this question before if so, we can answer it again or not. You choose! LOL

When the inspiration site is a really large online HOME site where do you find your inspiration? Do you look at the furniture section, Do you head straight to Wall Art? Do you search a particular color? Do you look at the Gifts section? I am super curious how you find your inspiration!

I tend to search the wall art or paper sections first then I move to the gifts. For this week's inspiration, I checked out the wall art first then realized I really wanted to play in a certain challenge so I searched mugs. I had SO much fun choosing my sentiment and mug photos then creating my card. I love this one so much I want to make more using different plaid patterns!

Here is my card: Y'all
Old 12-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #538

I usually head to the wall art but during the Christmas or other holiday seasons, I will head to those headings first if there are any. Sometimes, they have it all (holidays and home decor) and I love that. Today, mine was under Holiday, then holiday pillows. Sometimes, I go for color.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Old 12-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #539
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

If they have textiles I tend to pick those first, rugs, pillows, things like that then wall art follows or if I have things I need then sometimes I will just pick a theme like Christmas has been a big one for me for the last little while.

I was looking at the out door decor recently and

I actually put a metal sleigh in my cart in this weeks site... and then when I went poking around to see if there was anything else I "needed" ( we have a new porch on the front of our house YAY) they sold the last one.

My Blog
Old 12-01-2018, 03:31 PM   #540
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Wink

I'm with y'all on looking at the pillows, wall art, or maybe bedspreads when there's an inspiration challenge. Even though I have rarely played in our weekly challenges this year, I do read a lot of the day's challenges. I find it interesting how we choose so widely across the given items on the inspiration sites. What speaks to some doesn't attract some of the rest at all, so we often have a wonderfully variable gallery!

Anyway, just wanted to shout out a Happy December to y'all! Wrap up 2018 with something special in your hearts.
JBgreendawn and Benzi like this post.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:34 PM   #541

I agree, Bev, it's fun to read the differences and similarities of our fellow SCSrs!
TexasGrammy likes this post.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:36 PM   #542

Our Featured Stamper is JEXTERRA {aka Jessica Kruegel}. Judy is our hostess and she is singing! Check out her challenge write up!

TexasGrammy likes this post.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:03 AM   #543

Happy Monday everyone! Our Technique Challenge this week has us heading to the kitchen for saran wrap. I have never tried this technique. I am curious to try it with versamark ink.

The CAS challenge is all about wood.

What is your favorite wood grain stamp? Do you prefer to make your own and if so what technique do you use?

Have you tried the saran wrap technique Sabrina is featuring this week?
Old 12-03-2018, 07:30 AM   #544
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Running late with the housework today because I also had overtime, rare on Monday. Angie, if you want to check the look of Versamark, here's Anne's no-iron wax paper resist. Now that I think about it, she used waxed paper but crumpled up in a similar fashion, so it was simply used to randomly apply the Versamark: TLC488 No-Iron Resist (6-30-2014) - Splitcoaststampers
Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #545

I love the saran/cling wrap technique and have used it several times. Though, I did mine a little bit different than dabbing into the ink pad. I swipe the ink on the saran wrap, mist w/water, crumpled it, open it up, and either swipe my watercolor paper through it or place the wrap over my w/c paper.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Old 12-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #546

Thanks, Sabrina! I think I will still try the saran with versamark, just to see how it looks. It might not work but it would be a fun experiment! I think that is my favorite thing about creating. It's super NICE when a project turns out but even while working on a project that ultimately fails the process is satisfying!

Brenda, that makes a pretty background too!
TexasGrammy and TeeGeeDee like this post.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:12 AM   #547
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Happy Monday everyone! Our Technique Challenge this week has us heading to the kitchen for saran wrap. I have never tried this technique. I am curious to try it with versamark ink.

The CAS challenge is all about wood.

What is your favorite wood grain stamp? Do you prefer to make your own and if so what technique do you use?

Have you tried the saran wrap technique Sabrina is featuring this week?

This is actually something I've never done! I have done the thing where you put watercolor down on paper, then scrunch up saran wrap and let it dry for fun textures, but I've never done it as an inking tool - super fun. I need to try.

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 12-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #548
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Thanks, Sabrina! I think I will still try the saran with versamark, just to see how it looks. It might not work but it would be a fun experiment! I think that is my favorite thing about creating. It's super NICE when a project turns out but even while working on a project that ultimately fails the process is satisfying!

Brenda, that makes a pretty background too!

With the Versamark, Anne used it as resist, sponging coloured ink over. I think just on its own it would give a very subtle effect and would depend a lot on the cardstock you used.
I used black DOX on a recent painty background and it looked great - but then when I spritzed it I lost most of the effect.

I do like the other technique too and the texture it gives, but it requires drying time, which this one doesn't , a virtue in a busy week.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #549
Glitter Guru

I'm going to try saran wrap both ways - with Versamark and with coloured inks. Not sure I'll get it done today. I spent this morning finishing off a card for the CAS challenge. Ironically the card I made for last week's Mixability challenge would have been perfect for the CAS challenge - so I added the CAS keyword to it. Heading out now for a walk with my dog and then off to my volunteering.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #550
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Life has gotten in the way of crafting! I’m also trying to work on VSN samples. But the challenges are so good!

"Expectations are infinite. Time is finite. You are always choosing. Choose well.”
One4Joy and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #551
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I have done it with both saran wrap and foil. ( the foil holds the crumples better if you press hard)

I think my thing is I tend to pick softer shades of colors so, I am guessing you get something you can see better definition with on darker shades.

My Blog
Old 12-04-2018, 06:04 AM   #552

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
This is actually something I've never done! I have done the thing where you put watercolor down on paper, then scrunch up saran wrap and let it dry for fun textures, but I've never done it as an inking tool - super fun. I need to try.

I love the technique you shared with saran wrap and watercolor! Since I am an impatient girl, that is an excellent technique to do right before leaving the house. The paper can dry without the temptation of lifting the saran wrap while wet!
muscrat likes this post.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #553

We have been missing you, Misti!

Sabrina, I agree, sounds like an interesting experiment. Sorry about the Black DOX.

I hope you enjoyed your volunteering, Susan!

Stacy, regarding darker shades, that makes sense. I tried Lydia's shaving cream technique which looks awesome in dark blues but all I had were greens and yellows. My backgrounds turned out pretty but not dramatic like Lydia's.
JBgreendawn likes this post.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #554
Mad Swapper

I have a question about Today's Color Challenge. I can't see a new one in the challenge thread, but I see all kinds of cards in the gallery with a new number and colors. I am seeing a lot of CC716 in the colors melon mambo, pear pizzazz, blushing bride. Am I just missing it, or is not there? I always look for the new color challenges and sometimes get inspired to create something with these colors.

Featured Stamper #671
Old 12-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #555
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
I have a question about Today's Color Challenge. I can't see a new one in the challenge thread, but I see all kinds of cards in the gallery with a new number and colors. I am seeing a lot of CC716 in the colors melon mambo, pear pizzazz, blushing bride. Am I just missing it, or is not there? I always look for the new color challenges and sometimes get inspired to create something with these colors.

THANK YOU! It was moderated for some reason - here's the direct link: cc716 melon pear were blushing t627092.html

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 12-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #556
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
THANK YOU! It was moderated for some reason - here's the direct link: CC716 The Melon and Pear were Blushing

Thanks!

Featured Stamper #671
Old 12-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #557

The Sketch challenge is up! This sketch reminds me of a Christmas package!!!
JBgreendawn likes this post.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #558
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

The Sketch challenge is up! This sketch reminds me of a Christmas package!!!
I agree, Angie. stuck at work so I'll let ideas flow around my head!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #559
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Been out visiting my aunt for the day, and just back into network coverage after a part of the train journey that has none. Today's WT challenge, brought to us by Lisa, is Window to the World...a great chance to use your window dies to create a scene, or to use an aperture. I broke my mould and used a cure digital image.

WT717 ~ Window to the World 12/6/18 - Splitcoaststampers

My big problem with windows is always how to "ground" them on the card. I always feel they need brickwork or a wall to complete them...so often I find it easier to make a room scene with a window looking out
Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #560

Perfect Sabrina! I had to get to a meeting straight away this morning, thanks for posting!

I agree! I enjoy window frame die cuts but I always want to ground them too. I also struggle with getting the scene behind the window perfectly centered so I don't often play around with my window die that I just HAD to have! LOL

I am playing along with a Christmas card with windows in the image.

So who likes to use window frame dies and do you prefer to have the scene looking outside the house or inside the house? If you have a favorite or if you are playing along today feel free to link it!