Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #441
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Usually the pattern inspires me but this week it was definitely the colors. I used a lot of Copics to do my wreath.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
ohmypaper! likes this post.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #442
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

The IC is my favorite challenge! And it's texture, pattern, and color that draws me in. How cool for a chance to host an IC challenge.
Benzi and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #443
Glitter Guru

I love the Inspiration Challenge because you can choose themes, patterns, colors etc for your inspiration. I love to see how different the cards can be even when based off the same inspiration piece. I fell in love with the photos on the fb page, but the variety of dresses and other items on the main site is truly incredible. I have tons of photos on my phone waiting to inspire me for future projects!
Old 11-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #444
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmypaper!View Post
The MIX is up!!! MariLynn's challenge will help us clean up AND rid us of the fear of experimenting and wasting supplies due to fails!

How often do you experiment with new techniques or color mediums? How often would you say a new technique ends up as a "go to" technique for you?
I had a huge craft-astrophe this morning when I was trying to play along in the MIXABILITY challenge. My right hand is semi out of commission after carpal tunnel release surgery this week and I was struggling with some glitter glue. I was so proud of myself for managing to stick a pin in the top and then pull it out, but when I went to squirt the whole top popped off and the entire contents (about 2 oz) spilled all over my project, my table, my dressed wound etc! I enlisted my son to help me clean up and went on with the day. Later, when I met DH for coffee, I looked down at my sweater and saw a huge blob of sparkly green! All that and I never finished my card. Maybe tomorrow.

I love trying new techniques and they often end up in my repertoire. I used the direct to paper technique (specifically the faux wood tutorial) that I learned here years ago on my IC card today.
ohmypaper! and Chris4436 like this post.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #445

Oh no, Gail, that really was a craft-astrophe. But, I did have to laugh at your green, glittery blob n your sweater. I am sure that will be me someday. Ha
Hope you hand heals quickly.

I love the inspiration challenge for the same reasons you do, Gail. There are just so many ways to be inspired.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Old 11-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #446

Oh, Gail! Wow, what a mess glitter glue makes. Wearing our supplies is just half the fun, right? Your blue layer is stunning!!! I am going to have to go revisit the faux wood tutorial! Thanks so much for being a guest designer with us at the IC!!!!
Benzi likes this post.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #447

Susan, your cards have so much interest! I can see your love for texture, pattern, and colors reflected in your art!
Benzi likes this post.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:53 AM   #448

Brenda, your wreath is gorgeous! The apple is perfection with the lighter colors mixed in!!
Benzi likes this post.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #449
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Happy Saturday everyone!

It's the first Saturday in a while where I have nothing scheduled...WooHoo!

I just peeked in on the IC...fabulous site! So much color and fun patterns; should be fun!

When I first discovered the IC some years ago, I did 4 or 5 at once. I think we just had a photo inspiration, or at least a very limited number to choose from. I love having the option to choose ANYTHING in the photo as the inspiration; it really gets my juices flowing.

Speaking of which...I am headed to my table now with card stock and ink in hand. Should be a crafty day!

Old 11-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #450
Glitter Guru

Got last week's and this week's Inspiration challenges done, and last Monday's TLC done - had a lovely crafty weekend!

The CAS challenge is up - "Take the Chill Off". But no TLC yet. I always look forward to the Monday challenges as I like those two a lot.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #451
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Here's the CAS challenge: CAS508 - Take the Chill Off - 11/19/18 - Splitcoaststampers

"Expectations are infinite. Time is finite. You are always choosing. Choose well.”
Old 11-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #452

The CAS challenge is such a fun one and the DT has created some fabulous designs!

Here is my question: How do you take the chill off?

I wear a sweater, bring my blanket wherever I sit and drink hot tea. Until we put in a new furnace two years ago, my fingers would freeze while stamping so my sweet friend Janeenk sent me fingerless gloves to keep my hands warm while stamping. Our new system is so efficient that it keeps our house warm enough that my hands no longer freeze AND best of all it doesn't cost us so much to keep it toasty!

How do you keep the chill off and do you have an image for that?
Old 11-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #453
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I'm a big believer in sweaters (and if really chilly, layers like t-shirts and good old-fashioned undershirts under the sweater), nice thick socks, a cozy afghan, and a pot of tea. Or at night, lovely flannel pyjamas and a down duvet.

Have to check my stamps as I'm sure I have one that is perfect (just not sure where it is since I'm in the process of reorganizing my stamps!).

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:27 AM   #454
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Here's the TLC: TLC717 ~ Yes, You CAN ~ (11/19/1 - Splitcoaststampers

I have to hope that there are still a few remnants of my Guinness can on the floor. No soda or pop at all in this house. Bummed that I didn't get to my blocks of colour. My knitting is going well thanks to our house guest but it's hard to get in enough stamping time and when I did get some on Saturday, I stuck all my little fussy-cut chicks to the wrong background.

Sweaters here for the chill; I have a couple of big baggy handknits that will go on over whatever else I am wearing. Over the time I was traveling to visit my dad I always carried a light throw in my backpack because even in the summer I often found it cold on the bus and was usually glad to have it. Same on long car trips...I find my legs get cold so I keep a throw on the back seat. I have a Unity stamp from the Warmth of Winter kit of the month which is very like my favourite "sloppy Joe " sweater.

My attic space gets cold but a small space heater will do the job while I'm stamping except on exceptionally cold days.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #455

This week's teapot challenge is up!!! This week's teapot challenge has a destination. A sweet Splitcoaststamper needs our encouragement this week. Pat would like us to use pink or gold on our cards. If I can't create a new card for this I will send Ellen a recent card I made with pink and gold.

What is your favorite way to use gold? Shiny gold paper? Paint? stickles? foil? paste? or something else?

I have kind of fallen for Gold paste!
susie australia likes this post.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #456
Glitter Guru

The Color Challenge is up. It's my third week of being their November Guest Designer so my card is already done. And I got one done today for the CAS challenge too.

I've been making Christmas cards like crazy as this coming Sunday is my Christmas card sale / fundraiser. My goal is to have 100 for sale, along with little bags of my homemade shortbread, and some things made by friends. All the money goes to support riders in the therapeutic horse riding program I volunteer with - it's for children with disabilities.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #457
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Quote:

The CAS challenge is such a fun one and the DT has created some fabulous designs!

I wear a sweater, bring my blanket wherever I sit and drink hot tea. Until we put in a new furnace two years ago, my fingers would freeze while stamping so my sweet friend Janeenk sent me fingerless gloves to keep my hands warm while stamping. Our new system is so efficient that it keeps our house warm enough that my hands no longer freeze AND best of all it doesn't cost us so much to keep it toasty!

I moved further south & while Lydia says I’m still in southern Okla because I’m not far enough inside of Texas... My guys stay warm & I freeze. I use blankets, a heating pad & a space heater. (They wear shorts & short sleeves most of the year & our a/c is still on.).

"Expectations are infinite. Time is finite. You are always choosing. Choose well.”
Old 11-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #458
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Quote:

This week's teapot challenge is up!!! This week's teapot challenge has a destination. A sweet Splitcoaststamper needs our encouragement this week. Pat would like us to use pink or gold on our cards. If I can't create a new card for this I will send Ellen a recent card I made with pink and gold.

What is your favorite way to use gold? Shiny gold paper? Paint? stickles? foil? paste? or something else?

I have kind of fallen for Gold paste!

I always forget about this. Thx for posting it here.

I don’t use very much gold.

susie australia and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #459
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Great question Angie. I love gold Twinkling H20. You can paint with it and you can also dab it to look like gold flakes. best of all, it doesn't go off!!

This weeks teaparty is so special to me. Ellen (Eager Beaver) and I 'met' here a few years ago when she was spending many, many nights at her husbands hospital bedside. Ellen would leave the most wonderful comments on heaps of cards. She always said she didn't feel alone, as some was always awake at SCS.

Even if you don't join in the challenge, I know that ANY card made by a Splitcoastie will be so warmly appreciated. She is going to get such a surprise.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.
cjzim and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:42 PM   #460
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie australiaView Post
Great question Angie. I love gold Twinkling H20. You can paint with it and you can also dab it to look like gold flakes. best of all, it doesn't go off!!

This weeks teaparty is so special to me. Ellen (Eager Beaver) and I 'met' here a few years ago when she was spending many, many nights at her husbands hospital bedside. Ellen would leave the most wonderful comments on heaps of cards. She always said she didn't feel alone, as some was always awake at SCS.

Even if you don't join in the challenge, I know that ANY card made by a Splitcoastie will be so warmly appreciated. She is going to get such a surprise.

I am going to finish mine tomorrow. I hope Ellen gets a ton of cards!!

susie australia likes this post.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #461
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I decided I was too tired to try to write an essay on my phone this morning, LOL. I was obviously also tired enough to have been sure that I'd taken a photo of my card for Ellen when in fact I hadn't.

I do use gold, I love it. I'd like to find an easy source of true gold sequins, but this may be in my imagination because I don't use sequins much at the best of times. I love Twinkling H2Os for spatter - I've even worked through a whole pot at this stage. I like Stickles for little dots and for edges. I like gold acrylic paint sprinkled with glitter for edges. I like swiped Versamark and gold embossing powder for edges...you get the story. I like gold waxes and rubs for higlighting texture....I did use gold washi tape for one edge on my card for Ellen. I wish proper gold pens like the Krylon leafing pen were easier to come by. One of my jars is full of tried and found wanting gold pens.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #462

Oh! I am loving the conversation on gold because I want to use it more and wasn't sure what to try! I have just the gold paste. Thanks for sharing all the ways you use it, Sabrina!

Thanks for the sweet story, Susie! We definitely want to share love with Ellen.

I love the color challenge this week Susan! Thanks for sharing it. 100 cards! Wow! So awesome!

Misti, I live in GA and I am still cold! LOL Yesterday the temp was in the high 70's a surprise since all of us were dressed for colder weather. Walking around the campus was warm work. Today it was rainy and chilly! GA = bipolar weather. I am cold today! Where's my sweater?
Old 11-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #463
Gallery Gazer

I am freezing most of the time - and I live in LAS VEGAS!!! I guess I should qualify that a bit... I'm freezing INDOORS most of the time, lol! DH runs really hot, so we've left the AC on until just this week when it finally got down into the 60s and 70s. Still, he insists on running a fan in our room at night, so it's an extra blanket for my side of the bed! My "indoor uniform" pretty much year 'round is leggings, a sweatshirt and slipper socks. At work we have no control beyond how open/shut the vents in our office are, as the conditioned air for the whole building comes from one source. I have a space heater, thank goodness, and wear boots and sweaters most days. Today I opted for a dress and forgot a sweater and I'm SO COLD!

I haven't played along with the teapotters for ages, but I'll have to make a special effort this time - definitely a worthy cause! (They all are, but SCSers have a special place in my heart).

I seldom remember to use gold, but I do love it! I have a Krylon pen, some Perfect Pearls (or is it Pearl X?) powders, a Delicata ink pad and several embossing powders, as well as some mirror cardstock and glitter cardstock, so I really have NO excuse! I like it best on edges and as spatters, but it's also gorgeous as an embossed outline for watercolors.

I didn't play in any challenges last week except a "personal" one - get the Thanksgiving cards made and mailed, and use more of the hoarded scraps! Mission accomplished on both - TEN cards knocked out and sent, and each had TWO different patterns of dp! Twenty pieces gone, baby, gone... (Didn't make a dent, but at least I'm trying, right?)

DianeinSparks, ohmypaper! and Chris4436 like this post.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #464
Glitter Guru

Angie, you asked what our favourite way to use gold is. It's hard to pick just one as I love gold shimmery cs, gold glitter cs, gold embossing paste, Stickles, gemstones - to name just a few. But if I had to pick just one it would probably be gold heat embossing, especially on cream cs - just love that combination. I used it for the card I made for your Inspiration Challenge from two weekends ago (I was very late getting it made so I don't think you saw it). I have about five different gold embossing powders - love them all!

Now I'm feeling inspired to do something with gold....

Old 11-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #465
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Sabrina, I haven’t tried the gold H20...but thanks to you, I’m going to try it!

Old 11-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #466
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

The Sketch challenge is up: Sketch Challenge 724 - {11/21/2018} - Splitcoaststampers

Old 11-21-2018, 12:41 AM   #467
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScraperwannabeView Post
Sabrina, I haven’t tried the gold H20...but thanks to you, I’m going to try it!

You can thank Susie too, since it was her single nomination, while I was profligate with my
golden likes. She's quite right that it doesn't go off...at least not in either of our climates. I'd say I've had most of mine for heading on 15 years.

Nice little looking sketch, one I would likely take the opportunity to use up some DP. Until our house guest leaves, though, I'm struggling to stay on top of samples with no time for anything discretionary.
Scraperwannabe and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:22 AM   #468

Misti, thanks for posting the sketch!

Here's my question of the day. When you look at a sketch are you more apt to take it literally or exchange the shape for an image such as Ceal did in her beautiful CARD?

I am more likely to take it literally.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #469
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

I take a sketch literally. If there is a circle, my card will have a circle.

In my early elementary grades, I had teachers tell me that I “needed to stay in the lines”
... & “needed to follow directions better”... I didn’t want to color the dog brown all of the time!! Then when I took a beginning painting class while I was in college, the instructor told me “I needed to stop following the rules”!!! I probably overthink too much when it comes to creating.

smadson and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #470
Proud Fan Club Member

I admire those who can look at a sketch and in their minds see other ways to use it. I am not one of those. I take a sketch for what it is. I am more of a CaserCaser, so not all that creative on my own.

Daily Scripture Thread

Isaiah 26:3. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Alpha list. https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...262-post1.html
Old 11-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #471
Glitter Guru

I'm particular about challenges - only ever do the ones that appeal to me. And for some reason I don't like sketch challenges - maybe because my imagination doesn't work to interpret them in interesting ways!!

Scraperwannabe, shirlb19 and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #472
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I tend to follow closely enough that the sketch is definitely recognisable, but will often change the proportions as I make so many square cards. Yay me, I actually made one using today's sketch because I suddenly realised it would work for a particular Christmas card I've been struggling with. I probably won't get it uploaded till later in the week as I won't be home tomorrow in time for a daylight photo.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I've just realised I never uploaded my WT samples, just as well I've got to get up early tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #473
Gallery Gazer

I'm sort of hit-and-miss on sketch challenges, both in actually doing them, and in taking them literally vs modifying. I like them, though, especially if I'm struggling with making pieces play nicely together! I'm with you too, Sabrina, in that I often adapt an A2 into a square...

Old 11-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #474

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
Angie, you asked what our favourite way to use gold is. It's hard to pick just one as I love gold shimmery cs, gold glitter cs, gold embossing paste, Stickles, gemstones - to name just a few. But if I had to pick just one it would probably be gold heat embossing, especially on cream cs - just love that combination. I used it for the card I made for your Inspiration Challenge from two weekends ago (I was very late getting it made so I don't think you saw it). I have about five different gold embossing powders - love them all!

Now I'm feeling inspired to do something with gold....

You are right, I missed it. It's absolutely gorgeous and I love the ornament you took inspiration from! Thanks so much for mentioning it. I would have been sad to have missed it altogether.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #475
Inking Addict

I was amazed by this card , it's not only beautiful, but such an out-of-the-box interpretation of the sketch. I usually take the sketch literally, because that's how my mind works, but hope this will inspire me to stretch my creativity. Thanks Ceal (and Angie)!
Old 11-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #476
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I expect many will be busy in the kitchen and with family, but here's Carla's WTUI challenge for today....open to all sorts of interpretation. I rarely make 3D projects but was able to used one of the great bag tutorials to present my niece's birthday gift.

WT715 ~ Creative Containers (11/22/2018 ) - Splitcoaststampers
Old 11-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #477

Happy happy Thanksgiving to all the US SCSrs!!! And to all the international SCSrs we love you and are thankful for you!

Wherever you are in the world today, I want to know how you are spending this day?

Everyone is home today at our house. My husband gets up at 3:30 every day even on his weekends or holidays. Today he slept in. Until 5! Yikes! My sweet man has been cooking all morning while I slept off cold med. We will be enjoying a wonderful meal in a couple of hours and later we will watch a favorite holiday movie and we may even get in a walk. Yesterday we had a lovely walk at our new battlefield park. We took a break, all of us squeezed on a bench and watched the sun dancing on the waters. Magical.
cjzim, DCinkit, muscrat and 1 others like this post.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #478
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Well, being a normal day here I was at work - and in two hours early for some overtime. Going in early meant I got home with just about enough daylight to photograph and upload my sketch card (which has gold matting on all the layers, and for which I didn't, in the end, use and DP...sigh. It all went back in the shoe box. We'll have a late dinner of leftovers from Monday as DH is visiting his mother and won't be home at his normal time.

3.30 - yikes! I thought 6 was bad enough this morning. Lucky you having a DH who cooks. I hope you feel a bit better and are able to enjoy the family day. Snoopy and I wish all the US SCS-ers a Happy Thanksgiving.
cjzim, Stamping Servant and ohmypaper! like this post.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #479
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Happy Thanksgiving!!

It’s just the 4 of us, but everyone wanted all of our favs. Trying to stamp in between cooking!

Old 11-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #480
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Happy Thanksgiving!

Misti ~ It is the same over here. Four of us at the table and everyone will have their favorites, so there will be A LOT of food. We are grateful for the abundance and the leftovers. Hugs!
~ Diane
Stamping Servant and ohmypaper! like this post.