Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-06-2005, 11:07 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chalk vs. Craft Ink

How does the chalk ink compare to the craft ink? Do I need both?

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/kzimbie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

I really like the chalk ink because it dries faster than the craft ink. THat being said, it has a more muted effect than the craft ink. If you use only SU stuff, then you might find the range of chalk ink colors limiting. However, I think the Versa ink comes in a whole range of chalk colors. Either one, to me at least, is better than the classic ink because it sits on top of the paper instead of sinking in. Just my $.02
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

thanks, anyone else?

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/kzimbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2005, 04:39 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Talking

Chalk Ink is a fast drying ink with, I think, very comparable color to the pigment inks in respects of color intensity. I love the chalky finish that you get with chalk inks. Setting it with hairspray or a spray fixative can be helpful to keep it frim smudging. (Not necessary, but helpful.) You cannot use it for embossing unless you would restamp over the image with Versamark. The chalk ink that SU sells is by ColorBox and you can find a WIDE variety of colors if you just check out the ColorBox site. (Someone had posted something awhile back about the colors of ColorBox chalk ink that the SU colors are, so you can find them elsewhere.) I'm hoping with all of the positive comments by customers and demos concerning the Chalk Ink that it will be available from SU in an wider variety of colors in the new catty.

Pigment ink, on the other hand, is a slow drying ink, which prefers to be heat set but is not necessary. It is great for archival material such as scrapbooks, fabrics, and keepsakes. Since it is slow drying you can emboss with it. The color is also very bold.

Presently, my preference are chalk inks because they are fast drying and have the brilliant color of pigments ink, but pigment inks also serve other functions that may not be available with chalk ink. (I'm not sure if chalk ink is fade resistant or not.)

I would try both....maybe get yourself a white craft pad (you can use it on anything!) and pick a color group of the petal point chalk inks. Test and see what results you like. Most stampers enjoy the effects of both.

Happy Stamping!!

P.S. I also use the classic pads, which are dye-based inks that are fast drying, not used for embossing unless layed with versamark, have less color intensity, but are wonderful for non-archival projects (cards, invitations, memo cubes, boxes, bags, etc.). Relatively less expensive than the other two choices as well.

Last edited by stampinsweeney; 05-06-2005 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes