Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #41
PAPER SCAPER

My personal opinion is that someone wants us to buy a product, I have also used wipes since I started stamping and none of them have been damaged, not even those cheap rubber images.

I also don't care if they out live me!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #42
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71View Post
My personal opinion is that someone wants us to buy a product, I have also used wipes since I started stamping and none of them have been damaged, not even those cheap rubber images.

I also don't care if they out live me!
That makes sense. I was wondering the same thing as I was inspecting a few of my stamps for damage. I didn't see anything wrong.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #43
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanView Post
Am I the only one that actually uses the Stampin' Scrub and Mist? I made the switch a while ago and am much happier for it. No more baby wipes' fuzzies on my stamps... and apparently no rubber-eating materials in it either.
I have used the Stampin Scrub until just recently when I tried to stamp something in versamark. The stamp looked clean, but when I inked it up and stamped in versamark, the stamp was actually not clean. (dirty from the stampin scrub) So I tried to clean it with baby wipes and got it very clean. I was impressed. Now I want to clean all my stamps with baby wipes. I was really amazed how good the sticky versamark got cleaned off too.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #44
Bold and Bright

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanView Post
Am I the only one that actually uses the Stampin' Scrub and Mist? I made the switch a while ago and am much happier for it. No more baby wipes' fuzzies on my stamps... and apparently no rubber-eating materials in it either.
i use both. the scrub/mist for my normal stamping, but i also water the mist down to 50/50 (water/mist) and it still works really well. i use baby wipes for wheels and times that i need to get in and scrub really deep and detialed....hth!
Old 09-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #45
Die Cut Diva

I have just plain "Huggies Baby Wipes", and among the ingredients they list "PEG-50 Shea Butter" and "Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract". Does anyone know anything about these ingredients?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #46
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I use huggies natural care which does not have lanolin and are great wipes- but I only use them the when I'm stamping with my craft ink- I wipe them down first and then use my stampin scrub that I use just for craft ink use. I have two stampin scrubs- one for craft, one for classic ink. I stamp often and I end up having to wash my scrub pads once a week. I used up way too many wipes befor I started using my stampin scrubs and by having one for each kind of ink it really does clean my stamps better than when I had just one scrub set. This is just the system that works the best for me HTH someone.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #47
Kookie Creator

Ok I'm fairly new at this and have been using baby wipes. This morning I opened my new Stampin Scrub, rinsed the pad and patted it dry, as it suggests and then sprayed 3-4 sprays of Stampin Mist on the pad. After stamping about 6 images and cleaning them, I moved on to another color and when I went to clean those stamps, they were picking up the first ink color from the stampin scrub pad. Am I missing something- cuz I'm not too impressed so far. I may go back to the wipes!! Am I doing something wrong???
Old 09-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #48
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDstamperView Post
Ok I'm fairly new at this and have been using baby wipes. This morning I opened my new Stampin Scrub, rinsed the pad and patted it dry, as it suggests and then sprayed 3-4 sprays of Stampin Mist on the pad. After stamping about 6 images and cleaning them, I moved on to another color and when I went to clean those stamps, they were picking up the first ink color from the stampin scrub pad. Am I missing something- cuz I'm not too impressed so far. I may go back to the wipes!! Am I doing something wrong???
Usually, by the time you get around to cleaning your scrub, you have many layers of mist and ink built up on the fibers. It takes time to dissolve that...and not too amazingly, one of the best ways of dissolving it is to apply more mist, hence the effect you got after your pad was sprayed and sat for a few minutes.

Some folks throw them in the washing maching with their towels to wash the pads, others use the dishwasher (without the heat dry). I found it's possible to get them fairly clean if I rinse several times with rests between. So I rinse them out and let them sit wet for a bit, then I rinse again and repeat a few times. It's usually when I'm cleaning my stamp room and I can go in and out of the laundry room to do the rinses as I clean.

You can also put them in a sink full of warm water and just soak them for an hour or so...does the same thing.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #49
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70View Post
If anyone has wipes without lanolin, please post and tell us what brand it is. Thanks!
I've used Pure'n Gentle brand from W*mart for a number of years, and so far, no ruined rubber stamps. This brand doesn't have alcohol or lanolin, but does have aloe vera, so now I'm wondering about that ingredient, also.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #50
Embossing Fanatic

OH!!

I check mine and they have lanolin!! I just look the Alcohol free!! now I have to check another baby wipes.

But I am using the TAC stamp cleaner and I love it because the stamps looks great when you clean them with that and you do not have to use a lot of cleaner n them! and they preserve a good condition!

Love,
diana
Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #51
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Default Caution with baby wipes

I never use baby wipes.
* I use stampin' scrub with stampin' Mist if it does not come clean
* I spray the stampin' Mist directly on the stamp let it stand for a little bit and then clean on the stampin' scrub. Repeat if necessary which is rare!

This works for VersaMark, Stazon, Craft Ink, etc
Hope this helps.

Markey
[email protected]
Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #52
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol LeeView Post
My friend has been using dish soap and a scrubber on her stamps for 20 years with no problems. I use window washing stuff with vinegar watered down for mine. No problems here either.
GASP! You mean like WINDEX?! And no problems, huh?

I've been using Stampin' Mist, but I've kept a half a case of Kirkland wipes just in case I ever switch. I'm bummed they have lanolin. I guess if I stamped more, I'd be more worried.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #53
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
It's usually when I'm cleaning my stamp room and I can go in and out of the laundry room to do the rinses as I clean.

You can also put them in a sink full of warm water and just soak them for an hour or so...does the same thing.
Wait, you CLEAN your stamp room? Are we all supposed to be doing this?!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #54
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever

I made my own baby wipes by using a few drops of baby magic ( yellow bottle) warm water and a few drops of glycerin. Bought high end paper towels ( bounty) cut in half, used a tupperware container... stored them upside down for a day or two after pouring the liquid over them then upright. They were soft as the Pampers Brand (all were alcohol free 4 years ago) I bought in bulk at Bj's adn a lot cheaper.... does Baby Magic have the lanolin? I don't think so.. but things change. I make my own now even tho the baby is 4 to keep in the car for messy snacks and such!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #55
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever
Default Shea Butter

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittypawsView Post
I have just plain "Huggies Baby Wipes", and among the ingredients they list "PEG-50 Shea Butter" and "Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract". Does anyone know anything about these ingredients?
that's like cocoa butter for your belly or stretchmarks.. doesn't sound good for rubbah tho does it? Uh oh, the other is Aloe vera ;}
Old 09-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #56
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by emsmomthestamperView Post
that's like cocoa butter for your belly or stretchmarks.. doesn't sound good for rubbah tho does it? Uh oh, the other is Aloe vera ;}
Yeah, that didn't do SQUAT for me...
Old 09-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #57
Hardware Hotshot

Location: Canadian prairie girl, lost in all the wind and snow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JillgunterView Post
Man, this is crazy Ok here is some info for the baby wipe girls out there! (we have a 17 month old, so we go thru alot of wipes)

Pampers Clean n Go wipes do NOT have lanolin, but are not fragrance or alcohol free. These are kind of new.

Target Brand DOES have lanolin.

Huggies Natural Care do NOT have lanolin. And are fragrance and alcohol free.

So Huggies seem the best bet
Huggies Natural Care is what I use for my stamps. I am so glad I chose those to use!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #58
Die Cut Diva

I use baby wipes as a first-pass to clean stamps after I 've used craft ink because craft ink gunks up my scrub too fast. I wonder if you just wipe off the ink with a wipe and then clean the stamp with the stamping scrub and mist if that alleviates some of the ill effects of lanolin? I just bought a bunch of Parents' choice wipes and, of course, they have lanolin in them.

I guess better safe than sorry -- Off I go to purchase a non-lanolin brand. Thanks for posting the info!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #59

Default Caution Baby Wipes

All Natural Rubber, Butyl Rubber, Ethylene Propylene, to a lesser extent Neoprene and silicone, are affected by oils, fats, fuels & oxidising agents

You should always
* Avoid Hand creams when working.
*wash your hands before handling your stamps, and avoid touching the rubber part so that the oils from your hands do not come incontact with the rubber.

Markey
[email protected]
Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #60

Remember you need to clean your Stampin' Scrub because the inks you clean off of your stamps are trasfered to your Stampin' Scrub

Markey
[email protected]
Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #61
Matboard Maniac

I do not care su cleaner I just use water and clean the pads with dawn and rinse thourgly. when it's to tough to come clean I just grab the stazon cleaner. Not a dogone thing wrong with any of my stamps!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #62
Embossing Fanatic

I'm with Rogers2345. Although, I don't even use stazon cleaner (cuz I don't have any). Water works great! - of course, I clean my stamp right after I use it so they don't sit. Since I wet the scrubpad when I need to use it, that's when I rinse the ink off from last time (unless I didn't stamp much). If my whole scrubby is wet from rinsing, I sit the stamp on a papertowel to dry before putting it back in the CD case (I'm unmounted).
Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #63
Embossing Fanatic

Oh, we have Albertsons here in Florida, too.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #64
Mad Swapper

I wish the background stamps were just easier to clean. I have used babywipes too, but I can't find mine now (and don't have a baby to steal from) and umm, my craft area is a health risk right now. I usually just end up spraying the background stamp with either the SU mist or water, and cleaning it off with a cotton towel that I have only for stamps. The stamp is almost as bit as the scrubby pads so its just hard to use on them. I just cleaned my scrubby too, boy it does get dirty if you do a lot of stamping (and forget which side is the scrub off the ink side and which side is the dry off the stamp side!!).
Old 09-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #65

I never take my scrubbers out of the frame, just clean them right in there.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #66
Rubber Obsessor

Boots own in the UK are fine!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #67
Cardstock Collector

Smile

I make my own wipes. Then you can add what you like.

Here's how.
1-1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon babyoil (any brand)
2 tablespoons Baby wash (any kind)
1/2 of a large paper towel roll.
10cup or 2.4L round rubbermaid container to fit the roll

Cut a large paper towel roll in half so you are left with two short rolls. (Bounty works best but you can expierement, just make sure it is a large roll.)
Mix together water, baby oil and body wash. Pour gently over paper towel roll in container until wet. Then pour the rest into the middle where the core is to soften it. Remove core and pull wipes from middle of roll.

They are really soooo easy. The cutting the roll is the toughest part. Be sure to use a sharp straight blade knife.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #68
Pearl-ExPert

I have a couple of microfiber towels that I got in the auto dept at Walmart and I use them with whatever cleaner I'm using at the moment (usually my homemade simple green concoction, but I also have some commercial stuff depending on the ink) - I either spritz the stamp and scrub with the towel or dampen the towel first. It works great, even on bigger stamps and when the towel gets nasty looking, I just throw it in the laundry.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #69
Pearl-ExPert

Oops - wanted to add:

Sometimes I wonder if these stamps are really so delicate as we're led to believe. I know direct sunlight makes the rubber deteriorate, but aren't your car tires made of rubber? When's the last time you worried about conditioning them after you used them

I know at my last job, they had a couple of rubber stamps that they had made when the company opened back in the 50's. Those stamps still worked just fine and I can guarantee that no one there was overly worried about keeping them out of the light, or away from the oil on their skin. Actually, I take it back about the stamps working just fine - it had been so long since they'd been cleaned that the letter "o" stamped as a solid dot because of the ink accumulated in the middle. But once I attacked them with a toothbrush and some soapy water, they were back to working fine.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #70
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstfrommiView Post
I have the Pampers Lavendar Calming wipes and they don't have Lanolin listed in their ingredients. They are also alcohol free. The smell is soft and lovely I think.
I love Pampers Lavender. I switch between Pampers Lavender and Huggies, which ever I have a coupon for.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #71
Crimping Master

LOL Cbet! I was wondering the same thing. I have a large dish in my stamping area with wet paper towels on it. After I stamp, I "stamp" the stamp a couple of times on the wet paper towel. Then I stamp it again on a dry old facecloth. For the Classic stamp pads, 9 out of 10 times, it comes out perfectly clean. I do use my stampin mist and pad for stazon. But I agree, I have to clean the cleaning pad after I'm done stamping for the day - and then it takes forever to dry. I was thinking of using baby wipes. It doesn't sound like anyone out there has a horrible story about what happened to their stamps after using babywipes....
Old 09-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #72
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Default I'm sorry!!! But, I couldn't help m'self!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahjaneView Post
I am wondering how lanolin can be that harmful when it is one of the only things you can put on when you are breastfeeding?
I haven't read through this thread entirely, but your post made a thought pop into my head that made me bust!

Rubber is made up of an entirely different chemical composition than a boob, UKWIM?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #73
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by scpdView Post
It's a grocery chain on the West Coast.
Albertson's also owns Jewel Food Stores in the Midwest.

My Gallery
Capricious Creations

Old 09-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Just checked the ones I use - Pure and Gentle Wipes from Walmart. No lanolin, no alcohol, but they DO have glycerin. They are also cheap (tub of 140 for under $2) and are lint free.

Pure and Gentle wipes are unscented, so for those who don't want smelly wipes, these are for you!
These are the ones I'm using, too.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #75
Embossing Fanatic

Found this article- from Flouishes Newsletter about the care and cleaning of clear stamps. It is a " need to read" if you have clear stamps. Hopes this answers some questions.
Karen

"Flourishes Newsletter" - 1 new article

Clear Stamps

What is a photopolymer?
It is a polymer that cures or hardens when exposed to light. The word polymer means "many parts". Photopolymer provides a durable longer lasting clear stamp die.

Our stamps at Flourishes come from a leading manufacture in photopolymer. Clear stamps provide a high quality product that is deeply etched and is resistant to yellowing due to exposure to UV rays.

Facts to know about all clear stamps

Conditioning
You can use clear stamps straight out of the package. You may want to condition them first as brand new stamps want to repel ink. Use a standard pink eraser to "scuff" the surface. It will help to hold ink and get a better image.

Storage
This is for all brands of clear stamps.
Although Clear Stamp Inc. have a high resistance to yellowing from UV exposure it would be safest to store them in a light-free container such as card board shoe box. Even indoor light can harden some clear stamps.
Acetone, bleach, or oil-based products can make your stamps, gooey, discolor or harden.

Cleaning
Once you ink a clear stamp they will never be as clear as they were in the package.
Baby wipes without lanolin are a great method of cleaning. You can also use mild soap and water.
Solvent-based inks aren't the best choice for polymer stamps, the cleaners are pretty hard on the stamp. StazOn cleaner may actually damage some clear stamps. We are checking with our manufacturer to see if we fall in that category.
Be assured Flourishes will be stocking a cleaner that is gentle enough for use with polymer stamps.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #76
Matboard Maniac

Default a wet sponge

Does anyone just use a wet sponge? This is what I do since it is the easiest and leaves no residue on the stamp. I know that water can not harm the stamp but does the stamp NEED another product for conditioning?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #77
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by sv133View Post
Does anyone just use a wet sponge? This is what I do since it is the easiest and leaves no residue on the stamp. I know that water can not harm the stamp but does the stamp NEED another product for conditioning?
May depend on whether or not it's made of rubber or photopolymer?

A true rubber stamp can dry out/become brittle/disintigrate/suffer damage from exposure to direct sunlight, and, apparently lanolin.

There may indeed be times when a stamp requires "conditioning", if so exposed, to restore the suppleness of the rubber surface.

But, whether or not you would need anything stronger than water, would depend on the mediums you are applying to your stamps, such as simple dye ink, vs. permanent inks, acrylic paints, etc.

I personally don't use baby wipes, except to remove excessive pigment/craft ink first, and then immediately afterwards, I do use a stamp cleaner (Stewart Superior Ultra Clean) and scrub; I find it cleans my stamps exceptionally well, removing tough stains and other substances that get in the nooks and crannies of my stamps.

There's always personal preference to consider, too!

HTH,
Old 09-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #78
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I haven't read through this thread entirely, but your post made a thought pop into my head that made me bust!

Rubber is made up of an entirely different chemical composition than a boob, UKWIM?
**spew**

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA why am I so NOT surprised you had to comment on that?????
Old 09-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #79
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70View Post
Thanks for the help ladies.

I have Huggies on the shopping list. I never go to Walmart, but if I ever do, I'll look for those wipes. I've never heard of Albertson's.
FYI Albertsons is a grocery chain in the US
Old 09-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #80
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

Shouldn't that be Bottom! If I had been drinking anything, it would have spewed though!