Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2004, 04:23 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl Cutter Question for those who own it & love it

I bought one from Staples - lg enough to cut 12 x 12. I don't know if I'm expecting more than I should or if I just don't know how to use it correctly.

It seems like the ruler on the cutter only allows you to cut so small, like you cannot cut a 1" x 1" squares. I had 45 people for a 10-10-10 stamp camp last mo. & I thought this new tool would whip me right through it....I felt clutsy & confused by the ruler. I went back to my old Fiskar (& had to go through at least 4 blades!) because I was more comfortable. I suspect that I just need to get handy at the Carl Cutter w/ practice? Any suggestions or tips would be very appreciated! TIA Juddaca
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 04:44 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Juddaca -
I mainly use mine for cutting the cardstock into quarters, cutting of matboard, etc. Also for larger layering pieces. For the small stuff, I use the fiscars. I try to design my 10-10-10 projects with fewer smaller pieces so I'm not spending a lot of time cutting. Maybe for smaller pieces, try to use the larger circle and square punches.
Good Luck,
Dawn
Check out my FREE DOstamping Resource Library with hundreds of videos, tutorials, stamping techniques, templates and more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 04:46 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

wow! matboard too? does it dull your blade really fast? do any of y'all do thick stuff like that too?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 04:58 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I cut matboard with it all the time. The blade is not an issue. I have mine since maybe October last year and am still on the first blade. What goes faster then the blade is the little cutting strip. I already flipped it upside down and now over and upside down. I am going to break down and actually get a new one out. It's not that they are expensive. LOL. But in German there is a saying that goes: "Frugal is not being Cheap!". Hope the meaning comes across. Sounds better in German. LOL "Sparsam ist nicht geizig!"

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:17 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

A really dumb question, I got my cc thinking that crooked cuts will be a thing of the past but... I can't get a straight cut with the Carlz eighther, CAN SOMEONE please tell me what do I'm doing wrong. I haven't use it too much and mydh is allready asking why?How often do you replace the channel thinggy under the blade? HELP

I love to stamp, what a stress reliever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:23 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

scrapyme, I found that since I am now cutting multiple sheets of paper, I make double sure to line the stack up very carefully, and usually hold it with my hand, too. Little added security. I wish you were near by and I'd see what tips I could offer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:25 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: Carl Cutter Question for those who own it & love it

Quote:

Originally Posted by juddaca Heater
I bought one from Staples - lg enough to cut 12 x 12. I don't know if I'm expecting more than I should or if I just don't know how to use it correctly.
Hi, Juddaca - which model do you have? I know they sell a smaller, personal-type cutter - is that the one you have?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:29 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I have a quilting square 6x6 ruler butted up against the other side of the magnetic thingie, to prevent it from moving while I cut.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:32 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I love my Carl Cutter for cutting my CS in half and quarters - and for matting larger images. But you're right - I also still use my old Fiskars for cutting smaller pieces and trimming/matting small images. The Carl Cutter just won't let me maneuver small pieces in there so that I can see where I'm cutting - I've even resorted to using scissors to mat small pieces! Oh, the horror!!! :shock:
But overall I'm VERY happy with Carl - I'm still on my first blade, but second cutting mat/strip, and I have cut matboard with no problem. I love it for that! And even if I DO dull my blade by doing that, I can just run to St*ples and pick up another one, they aren't expensive at all.
It did take me a while to get used to holding the paper and ruler/blade holder down while I was cutting - but once I figured out how to do it correctly, I was in SC-cutting wonderland!
Gretchen in SC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 06:18 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I get the crooked cut even with one piece of paper! :shock: I resolve to think that I am cutting disable, my husband almost kill me last night when he asked me to trim his bear(face hair) and I chopped so uneven he had to shave it all :oops: I am still satisfy with the cutter and it's worth the money, I got the DC 210 , it works perfect with thicker paper or mat board, Love my Carl

I love to stamp, what a stress reliever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 06:29 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default HD 17" style

I have the Heavy Duty 17" Carl and I love it. I use a quilting ruler like Beate does, but if you don't have one handy ANYTHING square works to prevent the magnetic bar from shifting. I have used our cattie, my SU cleanup pad, a magazine,etc. all with great results.

I do know that when it is time to replace the cutting matt - I do it otherwise the paper will not be so straight as the blade can follow a curved groove in the matt and you don't get a perfect straight edge. Also like Beate I flip it and turn it and I even cut from the other end to make sure I am using all the available surface of that matt before I replace it. The cutter can be used from either end - the "lock down" side and the other side. I was born in Germany on an AFB so maybe that frugal thing worn off on me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 06:44 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

I had the same problem...and then figured out that I was using it like my old Fiskars cutter...

Check this out...

To cut small pieces, use the cutter in reverse...i.e., let the small pieces be on the side that fall off after you cut them.

For example, line up a piece of 12x12 card stock at the 11" mark to make a 1" strip. Then, take the 1" strip and line it up at the 11" mark to make a 1x1" square.

I am now totally happy with my cutter and need to do just a little math to figure out where to place the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes