Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cardstock

I run a card class for my friends, about once a month. I haven't charged yet, I have a ton of stuff I don't mind using up, but I am running out of card stock I am willing to part with. Can anyone recommend a card stock that is about the weight of the Georgia Pacific but cheaper than SU!, Papertrey, etc?

The packs at my closest craft store are more like construction paper and not strong enough for cards.

I mostly use GP for bases on 3 or so of the 5 cards we make, but it gets boring having all white cards.

Thanks,
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I sometimes get cardstock at Michael's or Joann's by the sheet. The thickness really varies, but I find some colors that are thick enough for a base. I usually wait until they are 5/$1 and then pick up a bunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Hobby Lobby and Mikes sometimes has the DCW paper pads 50% off. Can't remember how many sheets of each color are in them though. Mikes also sells Bazzill by the sheet which I use a lot. I stock up when it's on sale too. A little thinner than SU cardstock, but works fine for me.
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

You could always tell the gals in your class that you have run low on cardstock for the base of their cards, and could they pick up some when they are out? Put it on them, that way you aren't paying for it, they will probably be more than happy to supply you with a few things, if you let them know in advance. Tell them you don't have enough for the next class, and could they all please bring some?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
You could always tell the gals in your class that you have run low on cardstock for the base of their cards, and could they pick up some when they are out? Put it on them, that way you aren't paying for it, they will probably be more than happy to supply you with a few things, if you let them know in advance. Tell them you don't have enough for the next class, and could they all please bring some?
That's a great idea and they could also start to influence their own creations with the colors of their choice. It will help them start to identify colors they are drawn too. Joann's flyer shows paper on sale for the 4th...I'm sure Michaels will also have a 4th of July sale too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Is the problem the inside of the card being white, or having white show on the front? If it's the front, I'd think you could completely cover it,....problem solved. Inside you could line the left side with a thinner paper, or the right side partially lined. I personally prefer the right side of the inside to be white so you can write on it...JMHO

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for all the tips! Most of the card makers are not crafters at all, and also most of the husbands are laid off, so I don't mind paying for the goods. I did think about using the white as the base, thus saving money on colored cardstock.

You guys are the best,
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I have used Marco's paper for card bases. Not sure how it compares to GP check their website. They have lots of colored paper also. Their site is not the best to move around on, but give them a call and they are very helpful. Here is their website, I just checked and they have re-done it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post 3 suggests using Die Cuts With A View paper. I find that paper to make poor card bases or any other application where you are going to fold it. The paper even when scored first will crack when folded due to the white core.

Purchasing a package of white index weight paper (it also comes in a cream color) from an office supply store makes great card bases. I've used the 110# from Office Max or Office Depot. Just use a mat to cover the white front and inside right (or bottom inside if folded at the top. Be sure to score the paper first for a crisp fold.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

...the georgia pacific from walmart is thinner, but okay...i also used to do classes at the lss that were card fronts only...they were just as popular as full card classes...i would usually throw in an extra card front to make up for the lack of base paper...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a paper supplier in your area, some have a cash & carry outlet. I went to one in my area (Coast Papers) and got some beautiful cardstock - Domtar Cougar 130#. Its super heavy for card bases and it works great with copics. Anyway, my point is that I got 125 sheets 12"x18" for under $10. They also had some other colours that I may go back for next month. Some printing shops may also have off-cuts that they would sell to you cheap or even give them to you if you explained what you were doing with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
If you have a paper supplier in your area, some have a cash & carry outlet. I went to one in my area (Coast Papers) and got some beautiful cardstock - Domtar Cougar 130#. Its super heavy for card bases and it works great with copics. Anyway, my point is that I got 125 sheets 12"x18" for under $10. They also had some other colours that I may go back for next month. Some printing shops may also have off-cuts that they would sell to you cheap or even give them to you if you explained what you were doing with it.
I agree that Domtar Cougar 130# is beautiful cs -- a lovely crisp true white. You got a real steal @ $10, it cost me twice that for the same amount, but I was glad to pay it for such a nice, easy to work with paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

wow, thanks. You guys sure know your cardstock!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes