Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know why this thread is empty...but I had an error message when I posted it so i'll post it again...

I recieve cards from time to time from a friend of mine. She uses all nice quality SU! paper on the card except for the base part of the card. When I take the card out of the envelope it just flops over from the weight of the good cardstock on the other cardstock. Also, it is usually just white or cream colored so it doesnt even match the card...wierd, I know.

Should I tell her about this? My dh and dd even have said "Wow, what is up with this card??" It is very noticable and I really wouldnt want to think of other people getting cards from her and noticing this or should I just let her keep on sending them like they are? To me they should feel like quality cards, even better than cards at Hallmark, KWIM? We both have the same demo so we learned from the same person and she didnt teach us this. She has plenty of SU! stuff cause we stamp together sometimes so I know she has enough to use SU!.

I am just wondering what you all would do, tell her or keep it to myself.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

hmmmm...anybody? I'd like to hear, myself. I'm sometimes not the best at when to say something, and when to keep my mouth shut!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

It depends on how good of friends you two are and how well she takes criticism. If you think she would be glad to hear the info then I would tell her. If you have even the slightest inkling that it might hurt her feelings then I would keep the info to yourself. JMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Or, just start sending her some cards using the heavier SU cardstock as a base. Maybe she'll just figure it out?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Good question. If she is on a strict budget, maybe the base CS is all she can afford. On the other hand, if it were me, I would be mortified to know my cards were falling apart, so to speak. You could approach it by asking her where she gets it and see where the conversation leads.

My avatar is Hobo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #6  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Or, just start sending her some cards using the heavier SU cardstock as a base. Maybe she'll just figure it out?
I do. I send her a card at least 1 or 2 times a month and I stamp with her every month. When we are all stamping together she uses all SU! stuff.
Maybe she got a good deal on CS and she is trying to use it all on her friends because we won't say anything...possibly.

She orders as much SU! stuff as I do and that is probably $100/month...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

I'm going to weigh in an say I think it would be rude to say something. I personally would be glad my friend cared enough to send a card.

Maybe, rather that actually bringing it up directly, next time you are making cards together , stand one of yours up and say something like "I'm so glad stampin' up makes cardstock sturdy enough that the base is strong enought that it can stand up on the mantle (or whereever you put your cards) without collapsing!" and leave it at that.

I generally don't avoid confrontation, but I can't think of a way to approach her that wouldn't make you seem ungrateful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a friend who does the same thing.I wonder why she does it. I do not understand her reasoning. But since she is nice enough to send me a card frequently I have decided not to ask her why she uses the cheaper paper as her base card. I feel that she thinks enough of me to send me a card and that is good enough for me. Not too many people send me cards for "just thinking of you". Perhaps you could over look her decision to use cardstock that is not as heavy as the SU cardstock? Just a thought.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think the fact that you ask here says that you probably shouldn't say anything to her directly. But...maybe you can tell her indirectly. If you are stamping together, could you maybe make 2 identical cards using the different bases. Then ask her opinion about them and see what she says. It is possible that she has never even noticed the weight of the base card and will change her ways once she sees the difference.

Or if you are close to the demo, maybe you could ask her to demonstrate the different weight/quality of cardstock. (If something like that would be allowed by SU.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyboo
I think the fact that you ask here says that you probably shouldn't say anything to her directly. But...maybe you can tell her indirectly. If you are stamping together, could you maybe make 2 identical cards using the different bases. Then ask her opinion about them and see what she says. It is possible that she has never even noticed the weight of the base card and will change her ways once she sees the difference.

Or if you are close to the demo, maybe you could ask her to demonstrate the different weight/quality of cardstock. (If something like that would be allowed by SU.)
Or maybe at the next stamping club you could *gush* about how great the white SU is and how everyone needs to use it as the base. Maybe your enthusiasm would be contagious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I like Daisyboo's answer. I would hate for something like this to make bumps in a good friendship.

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=77229
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

i would be embarrassed to know that my cards were falling apart and even more upset that no one told me about it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... I learned to stamp this way from my old demo. BAck in the old days she actually cut her own CS (non-SU) and sold it in packs with envies. It was a money saver back then and is now just a habit. I do try to buy thicker cards (I buy premade) for the bases. Some brands are better than others. Frankly, I don't do it to save money, I do it to save my headaches. See, first of all, I don't stand my cards up, so I honestly never really thought about whether or not they'd stand up or not until I read this thread. Second, I send cards to (and give to) several people who have difficulty seeing and some that have difficulty writing small (and seeing small writing). Thus, I use a light colored base card (either vanilla or white) and then do card fronts to match. That way, they can write all over the inside and back and use a normal pen to write. Plus, since the base is light colored and regular ink is usually blue or black they can both see what they're writing and what's written.

Now, don't get me wrong, using SU CS as a base does have its advantages. I've more recently tried this method and do like it, but I still generally prefer my old method. (Plus I'm a bit of a SU CS hoarder, so it's hard to use so much to make a card!) I did recently do a few cards out of Bazzill CS in crimson and added a square of very vanilla on the inside for writing space. The space is small enough that you can get away with only writing a few lines for a quick note (which may come in handy later).

One thing that I do really like about using a card base is that the inside is always clean - meaning that there are no brad backs or holes or ribbon inside. If I do a card front, I have more control on ensuring that the inside is completely free of stuff, as I don't really like having things (even ribbon) push through to the inside. That's just a weird personal preference.

She could just be like me - a SU CS hoarder who never noticed the standing up issue and who worries more about people being able to write on the inside and see what's written!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyboo
Or maybe at the next stamping club you could *gush* about how great the white SU is and how everyone needs to use it as the base. Maybe your enthusiasm would be contagious!

This is a good idea. I'm such a hoarder though that I have a hard time using a whole sheet at once! I just LOVE how smooth the WW and VV is! Plus how beautifully they match the envies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 04:11 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I make card fronts all the time and then attach them to my cardstock. I usually use a white or vanilla cardstock base ... I dont think they look weird at all, but maybe I am wrong?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stamping
I make card fronts all the time and then attach them to my cardstock. I usually use a white or vanilla cardstock base ... I dont think they look weird at all, but maybe I am wrong?
I do a little of both. If I'm taking supplies to a friend's house just to stamp and crop, I'll do a few card fronts. Then decide what base I want to attach it to. Depending upon the colors of the card front, I may attach it to coordinating SU cardstock, or if it is a pastel, it looks just fine attached to white or vanilla card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #17  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I do GREATLY appreciate that she sends me cards just to say "hi" and I probably won't say anything but I wonder if other people that she sends cards to notices the same thing or if I only notice it because I "know" that is is different cs, KWIM, maybe that's it? Or maybe I have just become too much of a SU! snob and I need to get over it, you can tell me that if you want to, I won't be mad, promise...

I use all SU! cs just because that is all that I have ever bought and I love the way it matches.

kikikaren- I never show anything on the inside of my cards, I don't like the look of it either. Basically, I cut out my base card in the coordinating color then another layer and another, usually, I love to layer so that any brads or ribbon are under the layers and not inside the card for anyone to see.

resqbarbie - they arent falling apart, but they dont stand up and they flop over when you set them up or hold them in your hand. It isnt SU! whisper white or very vanilla, it is much lighter paper, not sure what kind.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 05:09 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I'm probably misunderstanding too. I think you mean she makes card fronts which can be heavy from layering and embellishments, and then attaches them to flimsy cardstock. I personally may not say anything unless a card actually fell apart. Even then I may not make an issue of the type of paper she is using for the base. Or maybe as a gift to her, you can purchase some plain, heavy cardstock pre-folded cards and envies so she has a supply to use.

I always feel that it's better to keep my mouth shut than to take a chance on hurting somebody's feelings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I also dont think I'd take the chance of telling her and hurting your friendship in any way -- I know you are just trying to do what is best for her -- but quite honestly, I think that people who dont make cards would notice as much as we do -- or at least it wouldnt bother them as much, if at all. When I make cards I am so hard on myself sometimes and I will show someone at work a card that I decided to ditch because I didnt like this or didnt like that ... and they cant even notice what I see "plain as day" is wrong with it. I do like the idea of buying her some plain, heavy cardstock pre-folded cards and envies (as stated above in another post) as a gift though ... you can always say ... I appreciate it so much that you make all these wonderful cards for me that I thought I would help stock you up!!!!! Then maybe she'll see the difference without actually telling her -- just an idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2006, 07:05 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't use SU cs all the time especially for the card itself. I am in a stamp group where we exchange 11 cards a month...it would get expensive to make 10 cards out of SU cs so I buy mine from Office Depot or something like that. I haven't noticed any problems.
Reply With Quote Likes