Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Card stock

Hi, everyone! I'm new here and I'm sure this topic has been raised a thousand times, but I'm interested in finding out where y'all get your card stock? I know a lot of people deal with SU, but I was wondering outside of SU what vendors/websites you use.

Another question is, what pound cardstock is the best for card making? I see some in the store at 65 and 80. Is there a website with good quality card stock that is decent priced and doesn't have outrageous shipping?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I only use American Crafts - it's fabulous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use only cardstock from papertreyink.com. It's heavy but not too heavy. Just perfect.
Free shipping for $70 orders. $6.50 for orders under $70.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I would steer clear of PTI due to their horrendous customer service reviews lately - yikes! Where are you located, MYarr?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by herekittyView Post
I would steer clear of PTI due to their horrendous customer service reviews lately - yikes! Where are you located, MYarr?
I'm in Orlando, FL. I just wasn't that impressed with the selection at Hobby Lobby, JoAnn, or Michael's. I found some at Hobby Lobby. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

My HL sells packages of American Crafts. The cs is the best I've ever used for die cutting and the colors are great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricecheckView Post
I use only cardstock from papertreyink.com. It's heavy but not too heavy. Just perfect.
Free shipping for $70 orders. $6.50 for orders under $70.
There have been issues raised with Papertrey cardstock in other threads where the cut was imperfect. People thought there was something with their paper trimmer or they themselves were not cutting it correctly, but it was the original product that was flawed. I have never ordered cardstock from them (especially with all the customer service issues they have).

GinaK has great cardstock.

Of course I'm a little biased with A Muse cardstock. I love that their colored cardstock is white on one side so that I don't have to layer inside of cards when using darker colors. I love their patterned and shimmer cardstock too.

For my base, I like Neenah.

For using copics, I like X-Press (bit expensive, but there's a noticeable difference)

I still like SU and continue to buy cardstock because I like the weight.

I'm an addict, so I tend to use all companies....for stamps, inks, paper, etc.

What drives me to make purchases is my experience with customer service and products.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I've NEVER had a problem with Papertrey's cardstock or their customer service.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Thank you both for your answers!

Wow, Brenda, that's a lot of places for paper. I'm just getting back into stamping. I haven't made a card in over 10 years, since middle school. So I guess GinaK and American Craft are good places to start. Then once I get die cuts and stuff, I will shop other brands!

I'm starting with Halloween cards to get me back into stamping. I bought a few things at Michael's, a few at JoAnn, AND a few at Hobby Lobby. Haha! I'm going to see if I can produce something and build my collection.

I'll be making cards while I do dialysis treatments, so I'm hoping I'll have lots of time to do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

MFT is also a great source for card stock. They also have matching ribbon, buttons and felt!

You can order from their online boutique or since you are near Orlando you could visit their retail boutique located in Eustis Florida!

Their address is 117 North Bay Street, Eustis, FL 32726. They are open Monday-Friday from 9am-3pm.

Here is a link to their card stock section in the retail boutique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinjewelsdView Post
MFT is also a great source for card stock. They also have matching ribbon, buttons and felt!

You can order from their online boutique or since you are near Orlando you could visit their retail boutique located in Eustis Florida!

Their address is 117 North Bay Street, Eustis, FL 32726. They are open Monday-Friday from 9am-3pm.

Here is a link to their card stock section in the retail boutique.
Thanks for the info! Eustis is quite a ways from where I live. Often times I'm in Clermont which is only a 10 minute ride from Eustis. I'm not usually there before 3, but I will try to be the next time I'm out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I lived in FL, I'd definitely visit MFT. Love their dies. I've just started ordering their cardstock and matching buttons. Also have tried Gina K cardstock recently. You can't go wrong with either of these. Oh, and to answer your question, I prefer 100# weight for my cards.

Wishing you the best with your treatments.

Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Thank you, Pat! I'm going to have to make a trip out there one of these days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want a good quality card stock you can pick up locally at an office supply store, check around for Hammermill color copy digital 100#. Its excellent weight for card bases and, if you get hooked, it works beautifully with Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
If you want a good quality card stock you can pick up locally at an office supply store, check around for Hammermill color copy digital 100#. Its excellent weight for card bases and, if you get hooked, it works beautifully with Copics.
Thanks! What office supply store do you find it at. I'm searching for it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Staples carries this!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
Staples carries this!
I just found their brand on their website!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I am biased but I do like Stampin' Up cardstock. I like that I can match the ribbon, buttons, brads to my cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Card stock

For my white and cream/ivory Card Stock I use Staples 110 lb weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I buy Hammerhill at Staples.

If you have a printmaking business near you they will sell you sheets of Kromekote Gloss for mere pennies. It's the same as SU.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

Overall, I like SU's cardstock. In my 10 years of card making, I've used more of it than any other company's. The colors are great and I've had an easy go of matching them to designer papers (SU's designer papers, as well as Basic Grey and Echo Park). Whisper White is nice because it's a bright white, and it's a good weight for layering. However, IMO it isn't sturdy enough for card bases if I'm going to be using a few layers or embellishments. Neither is Very Vanilla.

Several years ago I decided to try Papertrey Ink's white and ivory cardstock, which I ordered at the same time. Both are a good, heavy weight, great for card bases. I didn't notice any crookedness/non-square cuts to it, as mentioned by other SCSers. However, it was damaged during shipping, resulting in one corner of both cardstock packs being accordion pleated upon delivery (which I blame equally on PTI's lack of protective packaging material around the cardstock and UPS's rough handling of the package). Also, the white wasn't a very bright white, IMO. It had a greyish cast to it.

More recently, I've been using the Pure Luxury White and Ivory cardstock from Gina K. Designs, in both 80 lb. and 120 lb. weights. They are wonderful. The finish is very smooth. The 120 lb. is awesome for card bases. The white is a lovely bright white. They came shipped with bubblewrap around the cardstock packages, well protected from any chance of damage during shipping.

I've also used Neenah Classic Crest Solar White, 80 lb. It is excellent quality, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MYarrView Post
Hi, everyone! I'm new here and I'm sure this topic has been raised a thousand times, but I'm interested in finding out where y'all get your card stock? I know a lot of people deal with SU, but I was wondering outside of SU what vendors/websites you use.

Another question is, what pound cardstock is the best for card making? I see some in the store at 65 and 80. Is there a website with good quality card stock that is decent priced and doesn't have outrageous shipping?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
I buy 110 in white for card making, and I just get it from KMart For the colored stuff, I don't usually use that as the base of my card, so I don't care much about the weight. That I'll buy anywhere when needed - Michaels or Joann's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post
I buy 110 in white for card making, and I just get it from KMart For the colored stuff, I don't usually use that as the base of my card, so I don't care much about the weight. That I'll buy anywhere when needed - Michaels or Joann's.
I get my 110 lb White or Ivory at Staples, Office Max or Wal-mart for my card bases. Recently found 65 lb. multi-colored at Michael's on the clearance shelf for $7.99 - which is almost halfprice. Other layering stock I watch for sales or if desperate use a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I've used other card stocks before becoming a Stampin' Up! demo and will never go back. I LOVE the weight of the card stocks but agree with a previous poster that said that Whisper White and Very Vanilla are a little too light to make card bases out of. I just use whatever color coordinates with the card I'm making and rarely would want to use Whisper White or Very Vanilla anyway. If I have a Basic Black card base (or other dark color) and it is a regular 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" sized card, I simply cut out a Top Note Die with the Big Shot (it is the perfect size), stamp it to match my card, and put it inside to write my message on.

When I started buying SU! card stock, I bought the assortments for each color collection and then I could order what I found myself using the most in full packages! As another poster said, it is great that it matches our Designer Series Paper, brads, ribbon, buttons, ink, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #25  
Glitter Queen

I can certainly understand why having everything match is something y'all search for! I picked up some Staples 120# white cardstock today. It seems like it will do the work for stationery and note cards. I will most likely pick up some other brand to make my greeting cards with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you for posting this question. I really wanted to know the answer to this as well....Just to save someone the pain...Office Max (at least in my town) carries 110lb index....that is not the same thing as "cover" or cardstock. You all may know this but it was a learning lesson for me and ends up being a donation to the school, LOL!

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvaCView Post
Thank you for posting this question. I really wanted to know the answer to this as well....Just to save someone the pain...Office Max (at least in my town) carries 110lb index....that is not the same thing as "cover" or cardstock. You all may know this but it was a learning lesson for me and ends up being a donation to the school, LOL!
I use Wausau Exact Index 110# (in addition to the Hammermill Digital colour copy) and it works great for cards. Its heavy enough as a base for moderately layered cards (I don't use a lot of layers - maybe 3 or 4 at the most & some flowers) and it works excellent with copics. You can get it at office supply stores and I think some Walmarts carry the 110# (most only carry the 65# - at least here that's all I can find).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #28  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I use Wausau Exact Index 110# (in addition to the Hammermill Digital colour copy) and it works great for cards. Its heavy enough as a base for moderately layered cards (I don't use a lot of layers - maybe 3 or 4 at the most & some flowers) and it works excellent with copics. You can get it at office supply stores and I think some Walmarts carry the 110# (most only carry the 65# - at least here that's all I can find).
I couldn't find the Hammermill, however they had Staples 110#. It'll work well for cards. There are some other suppliers I'm considering for other card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Does Office Max or Office Depot have anything similar to the Staples paper? We don't have a Staples near us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't tried this brand, but this is what Office max carries:

Office Max - Fireworks cardstock

Here are a few that Office Depot carries. I didn't see white in the Exact Index but I'm sure they have it...

Wausau Extra Heavyweight Exact Index Card Stock 110 Lb 8 12 x 11 Grey Pack Of 250 Sheets by Office Depot

Wausau Exact 30percent Recycled Extra Heavyweight Index Card Stock 8 12 x 11 110 Lb White Pack Of 250 Sheets by Office Depot

Wausau Extra Heavyweight Exact Index Card Stock 8 12 x 11 110 Lb Ivory Pack Of 250 Sheets by Office Depot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

FYI-

Staples in my area no longer carries Hammermill but you can get it at Fedex Kinko's for $13.99 for 80# color Cover. I just started using it and love it. I color on it with Copics and it works great for that, too. I learned about it in another forum on SCS. I found this thread because I am looking for smooth pale peach cardstock like Blush Blossom. Does anyone know who would have something close. Gina K looks a little darker but I love her paper. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricecheckView Post
Well, I've NEVER had a problem with Papertrey's cardstock or their customer service.
You are extremely lucky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I could never be a paper purchaser like my stamping buddy who buys all different types of paper from whatever paper outlet she can, in large quantities, for the best price she can get. Color coordination is really difficult that way.

I could also never be a paper purchaser who shops for a few colors here and a few colors there. Too awkward for me, although if I HAVE to have a particular color and there is only one place to get it, and it is a perfect weight, I will give in.

No, I like to make my ordering easy.

...I like SU colored cardstock. The weight is great for both bases and layers. I buy my colors from SU.

...I don't purchase paper from any local scrapbook store because I find it all too thin. Well, maybe I should qualify that. I use that paper for scrapbooking where the weight is not a problem, and often an advantage.

...I also like some PTI papers. But I hate to say that their customer service, or lack thereof, has made the decision for me that I will not purchase from them any more.

...I like Gina K paper a lot. I really like their White in the two thicknesses. SU white is too thin for card bases so that is one area where I go elsewhere.

...But for my white, and since I use it a lot, I go with Neenah classic crest solar white in the two weights. I can purchase that locally.

So, for summary...SU for colors, local purchase of Neenah classic crest for my white and "vanilla" paper, as well as matching envelopes. Easy to deal with. I do use Gina K for special types of paper, particularly textured.

HTH.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

I'd like to know how index and cardstock are different, if they are both 110lb. I am about to ask my mom to buy me these. Thanks for your input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvaCView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #35  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

80 lb., 100 lb., 110 lb. cover card stocks are what to look for. Index is lighter than cover. Text is too thin. I work at my husband's printing business and I still don't understand all the crazy paper weights!! (dare I say men must have come up with that system???) Sometimes I buy Cougar 80 and 100 lb. white and cream/natural Super Smooth cover card stock and Curious Metallic (shimmer) Gold Leaf, Galvanized, Poison Ivory, and Cryogenic White from cutcardstock.com...use the Cougar and Cryogen for my Copics. My friends and I tend to do a group buy, or if I need to buy the shimmers for work, so we can get the lower price and free shipping.

Last edited by arlenevita; 09-15-2012 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

If you find paper measured in gsm (grams per square meter), the higher the number the heavier the paper. (The US doesn't weigh paper this way, although a few websites are beginning to include this information.)

The US uses different scales for different types of paper, which is why you might find a 110# cardstock and a 110# bristol. The sizes of the scales are different which causes both papers to be labeled as 110#.

So in the US you can't go by weight alone. Look at the type of paper. Most often, cheap paper is made cheaply. It's more fibrous, flimsy, and often has a greyish cast.

I have Staples paper, but do NOT like it. Georgia Pacific has 110# which I do like; you can find it at Sam's (250 sheets for a little over $7). If you compare these two, you can definitely see a gray cast to the Staples brand.

For Copic use, I love the XPress It Blending Stock, which is kind of pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I also love the Hammermill Copy Cover Stock for use with my Copics. I have it in 80#, and would love to have some 100# to use as my card base.

I don't have any Gina K cardstock, but from what I've read, everybody loves it.

My personal favorites for card bases is Stampers Select White and Vintage Cream by Papertrey Ink (and no, I haven't had any problems ordering from them. The cardstock has been delivered in pristine condition. And my orders have been getting to me in less than a week, even during release time.)

ETA: Here's a link to explain cardstock/paper weight: http://www.lcipaper.com/kb/text-weig...explained

Last edited by uncbballfan; 09-16-2012 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Card stock

I found your post most interesting as in Canada its just the opposite. We cannot buy Georgia Pacific in Canada, and I used to buy it in Walmart in the U.S.Then one of the girls in Mesa where we winter, introduced me to Staples Brand of Card Stock ( not cover stock which they also carry.) Both Staples and GP papers are listed as 110 #

I found I liked the Staples brand better, because it is "whiter" not grey like GP as well as the texture and feel of it. The first Staples paper I bought in Mesa AZ., and the next here in Canada and were exactly the same. I mention this in case you may wonder if the paper is whiter in Canada.

I recently had a SU demo over who I was showing the Staples & GP paper to, and she took a sample of each as she said she could not use her copics on Whisper White CS.I have been away so I have not heard how she made out.

QUOTE=uncbballfan;19690683]If you find paper measured in gsm (grams per square meter), the higher the number the heavier the paper. (The US doesn't weigh paper this way, although a few websites are beginning to include this information.)

The US uses different scales for different types of paper, which is why you might find a 110# cardstock and a 110# bristol. The sizes of the scales are different which causes both papers to be labeled as 110#.

So in the US you can't go by weight alone. Look at the type of paper. Most often, cheap paper is made cheaply. It's more fibrous, flimsy, and often has a greyish cast.

I have Staples paper, but do NOT like it. Georgia Pacific has 110# which I do like; you can find it at Sam's (250 sheets for a little over $7). If you compare these two, you can definitely see a gray cast to the Staples brand.

For Copic use, I love the XPress It Blending Stock, which is kind of pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I also love the Hammermill Copy Cover Stock for use with my Copics. I have it in 80#, and would love to have some 100# to use as my card base.

I don't have any Gina K cardstock, but from what I've read, everybody loves it.

My personal favorites for card bases is Stampers Select White and Vintage Cream by Papertrey Ink (and no, I haven't had any problems ordering from them. The cardstock has been delivered in pristine condition. And my orders have been getting to me in less than a week, even during release time.)

ETA: Here's a link to explain cardstock/paper weight: Learn About Card Stock Paper Weight & Paper Density[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
Sometimes I buy Cougar 80 and 100 lb. white and cream/natural Super Smooth cover card stock ...
I have some of the Cougar in 200#. Its perfect for single layer cards and I can use my Copics on it and it doesn't bleed through. I also really like it for making boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes