Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2007, 01:00 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't stamp 'cause my house stinks! HELP!

Well, I'm busy cleaning and cleaning today. I tried to set the house on fire and am cleaning up the mess today. Used the broiler in the oven, turned it off and reloaded my stored stuff back into the oven. Obviously I didn't actually turn it off. :-( The upper element caught my oven-rated bundt (plastic) pan on fire. The door was shut and the oven started beeping (didn't know it would do THAT). I opened the oven door and flames licked out at me!! Oh, Oh, Oh, Ah, Ah, Ah!!! I was screaming! I know you should keep the oven door shut when something is on fire inside of it but DH wanted the burning carnage of my bundt pan out so it didnt' ruin the oven so he tried. He didn't really want to use the fire extinguisher because that fine powder makes such a mess. Darn his hide!! Now I have three small burn marks on my flooring. It would have been better to clean up powder than THAT!!

Soooooo, today I'm scrubbing out the oven to get rid of the awful burned plastic smell that has wafted throughout the whole house.......like to give me headache!!

So, here's where you can help. Any hints on what to clean with so I can get rid of the soot and the smell? I just want to go stamp.....not clean up!!

I'm also thankful that nothing else caught on fire!! Would hate to have lost all my stamping stuff!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 01:08 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

quick & cheap odor absorbers are baking soda & vinegar (separately).
Vinegar is probably fastest - spritz vinegar into air near the oven (use a very fine mister).

I'd also recommend putting some baking soda in an oven proof container and leaving it to sit inside the oven for a bit - actually maybe turn it on to a low temperature & bake it for 20 minutes or so. It should help absorb the smells.

Where's My Cow?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 01:08 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Put 1/2 cup of white vinegar in several bowls and set around the house. They neutralize household and human odors faster than you can believe. I recently learned this tip and am amazed at how well it works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I'd also recommend putting some baking soda in an oven proof container and leaving it to sit inside the oven for a bit - actually maybe turn it on to a low temperature & bake it for 20 minutes or so. It should help absorb the smells.

Uhmmmmm.... maybe given her history here, this might not be a good idea!?!:p :twisted:
Karen

Looky Looky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Grabbing my gallon of white vinegar to set some bowls around. I've been wiping out the oven with baking soda....when I'm done I'll put a metal container in the oven with some in it too. DH says NO MORE PLASTIC in the oven!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen Trueman
Uhmmmmm.... maybe given her history here, this might not be a good idea!?!:p :twisted:
Karen
Hee Hee!! When I was first married (before microwaves) I used to put the frozen meat in a plastic bowl and put it in the oven during the day while I was at work. The oven was off......it was just a protective measure to keep the cats from tearing into the meat. I melted at least three tupperware bowls. This is really the first time in about 30 years that I've screwed up with the oven. DH should cut my some slack!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Oh Ann, you poor thing!! Same remedies as the girls already mentioned just wanted to send you some cyber hugs and say that I love how you can keep things in perspective. Never mind the house - his cars, your stamps, huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

When my son was little:twisted: , he used to put his toys in the oven...that was always fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Well, it is starting to smell just a little better. I think it is in parts of the oven's cover that I can't clean where the smell is. At least the elements seem to work and aren't damaged.

I think my son wouldn't have made it to puberty if he had continued that!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have heard that coffee grounds will absorb odors too. My sis put a new open can of coffee in the trunk of her car after she spilled something (??? can't remember what). But she said it did help.

BTW... have you checked with your homeowners insurance? When my popcorn popper caught fire they paid for patching a melted mark in the kitchen floor, for food that I had to throw out (a few boxes of cereal got charred), and they even paid me for the hours I spent scrubbing the cupboard doors and the kitchen ceiling.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
BTW... have you checked with your homeowners insurance? When my popcorn popper caught fire they paid for patching a melted mark in the kitchen floor, for food that I had to throw out (a few boxes of cereal got charred), and they even paid me for the hours I spent scrubbing the cupboard doors and the kitchen ceiling.
I thought about that but if I can stay claim free through the end of this year I get $750 back. The flooring is 15 years old and has a number of slices in it already. It will probably be replaced within 5 so I decided that it wasn't worth the loss of the $750. The biggest spot is only about dime size. I can live with that.

I'll have to throw a little coffee in a bowl along with the vinegar!

Thanks so much guys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

What a waste of good stamping time. The very best thing to get rid of those odors is charcoal...the kind you use to grill outside with. Fill your pan full of it, put it in the over and it will absorb the smell overnite.
This remedy will also work well for getting odors out of a 'frig if something has spoiled in it.
I worked for Public Housing for a number of years and this was one thing we kept on hand and used often...;)
Good luck.
Daisy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Cool! I'll see if DH can dig some up out of the garage. Now if we can figure out how to get the oven door back on straight we'll be good to go!

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy453
What a waste of good stamping time. The very best thing to get rid of those odors is charcoal...the kind you use to grill outside with. Fill your pan full of it, put it in the over and it will absorb the smell overnite.
This remedy will also work well for getting odors out of a 'frig if something has spoiled in it.
I worked for Public Housing for a number of years and this was one thing we kept on hand and used often...;)
Good luck.
Daisy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&cars
Well, I'm busy cleaning and cleaning today. I tried to set the house on fire and am cleaning up the mess today. Used the broiler in the oven, turned it off and reloaded my stored stuff back into the oven. Obviously I didn't actually turn it off. :-( The upper element caught my oven-rated bundt (plastic) pan on fire. The door was shut and the oven started beeping (didn't know it would do THAT). I opened the oven door and flames licked out at me!! Oh, Oh, Oh, Ah, Ah, Ah!!! I was screaming! I know you should keep the oven door shut when something is on fire inside of it but DH wanted the burning carnage of my bundt pan out so it didnt' ruin the oven so he tried. He didn't really want to use the fire extinguisher because that fine powder makes such a mess. Darn his hide!! Now I have three small burn marks on my flooring. It would have been better to clean up powder than THAT!!

Soooooo, today I'm scrubbing out the oven to get rid of the awful burned plastic smell that has wafted throughout the whole house.......like to give me headache!!

So, here's where you can help. Any hints on what to clean with so I can get rid of the soot and the smell? I just want to go stamp.....not clean up!!

I'm also thankful that nothing else caught on fire!! Would hate to have lost all my stamping stuff!!

:lol: :lol:

Been in your shoes before!!!!!!!!!!

Except in my case I left a pot of Eggs boiling so I could make egg salad. Well I laid down to take a nap with DS only to WAKE UP to the POP POP POPPING sounds that eggs make when the pot boils dry.

I can laugh now, but at the time it WAS NOT FUNNY.

To get rid of the rotten egg smell, I used vinegar and a WHOLE can of FEBREEZ (sp?) airfreshner. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy453
The very best thing to get rid of those odors is charcoal...the kind you use to grill outside with.
Only because you've recently been unlucky with burning, I'll ask that you please, please double-check that the briquettes aren't the kind with lighter fluid in them. I know people who use the plain charcoal briquettes to control litter box odour -- if it can take care of that, it should be able to take care of anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Forgot to say I'm sorry to hear you had such a frightening experience, but I'm glad there was very little harm done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, I have done that too! I cooked a plastic tray with chocolate cupcakes!!! Very smelly!! Now when there is something in the oven(as storage) I place a sticky note on the oven,DO NOT TURN ON. Even if I remember, others in the house wouldn't check before turning oven on. I have probably avoided other mishaps this way. Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2007, 01:42 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I thankfully have never had this problem but my niece had a fire in her home and she used a product called "odo-ban", she said it got rid of all the odors. I have gotten it at Sams club and at walmart and I use it to get rid of the smell of dogs in my house.

P.U.S.H (Pray until something happens)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkblot
I thankfully have never had this problem but my niece had a fire in her home and she used a product called "odo-ban", she said it got rid of all the odors. I have gotten it at Sams club and at walmart and I use it to get rid of the smell of dogs in my house.
Is this spray stuff? Part of the smell is coming from the oven door (like inbetween) in areas where I can't scrub. DH can't find the briquettes anyway so Odo-ban might be the ticket!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2007, 12:32 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Yes, you can get it as a spray. I found it in the spray bottle at walmart and in 1 gallon jugs at Sams club.

P.U.S.H (Pray until something happens)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

I'll have to head off the Wal-Mart.......after the snow is gone!! Too icy to drive in a two wheel car today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Odo-Ban is wonderful. It takes the pig smell out of barn clothes. I wouldn't be without it ever again. It also all natural. Good luck!
SCS Member #1254
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2007, 09:42 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampinonthefarm
Odo-Ban is wonderful. It takes the pig smell out of barn clothes. I wouldn't be without it ever again. It also all natural. Good luck!
ALL NATURAL!! That's the ticket for me......I'm chemically sensitive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

I have always had electric stoves - ring style burners. My DH when we married wanted gas -- I said NO. He finally gave in to electric if I got the flat top. Well, thinking that I could use all my same pots & pans put on a big pot of chili in my blue & white speckled enamel painted pot. Well, I wondered what the strange smell was --- the pot burned to the top of my two week old stove. What a project that was to get it unattached and cleaned up. Still have the stove top scars to show for it!! Also read up on the stove to find I also cannot use my cast iron! I want my old stove back!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

My last fire incident was about 20 years ago. We had an electric stove with regular burners. I had just returned from the grocery store with my MIL. I set sacks all over the counter (of which we had precious little) and on the stove top. I was facing my MIL with my back to the stove and her eyes got real big and she said, "Fire!" I turned to find that one of the bags had knocked the knob and turned on a burner and had caught on of the grocery paper bags on fire. I picked up the non-burning part of the bag to plop it into the sink. Unfortunately, it dripped burning pieces onto my floor. Then when it flamed up in the sink, it caught the wicker baskets I had hanging over the sink on fire. It was crazy...........

I am now a firm believer of NEVER placing anything on my store top even though mine is a flat one now. NOthing flammable! I thought I had that covered in my oven too until that darn bundt pan melted down!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2007, 09:24 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm renting a vintage 50's house with a wall stove
(stupid, I'm short and have big boobs...I'm lucky that I havent done any damage there !)
but the range has push buttons
(four sets of off,low,medlow,med, med-hi, hi)
that are near the edge of the counter!
a more stupid a system, I cannot imagine!
I have a 4yo ds and not only is he genius curious,
who doesn't love buttons?
he also figured out how to get to the treat cupboard...by standing on the weird button controls!
I moved those treats that first day we came here...
and put a padlock on it so he doesn't even try!
but, sheesh! seriously!
I keep a corning oval casserole over the control panel ....
the drips alone would make me crazy if I were single! how would you keep it clean?
that way if stuff gets piled upon the stove,
(It happens)
........................the buttons are under a safety sheild

I also painted the sides of the off buttons with a red sharpie so I can see if I have left them on at a glance.
I f the red is visible, one of the other buttons is down and something is cookin!

sorry about your mishap.
just remind your dh that the most amputated body part is the ***** and the home accident tally could have been
waaaaay
worse!

snort!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I can't say the proper word ?
seriously?

this really surprises me.

I wasn't being pervy
...sorry mods
I thought it was the polite word
next time I 'll type doonglehopperwhozzit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 02:45 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I found the fastest and best way to get smells out of the house is to use them new Glade sented Oils i love the Apple Cinnimon it smells up the whole house and i have 3200 sq feet I am addicted to them but they only have tha send at xmas but there other sents are awesome also. the vanilla is awesome also hope all works out for you
Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 05:18 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by charming
next time I 'll type doonglehopperwhozzit
Hahahahahahahaha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sounds strange, but try Vanilla - yes plain old bottled vanilla like you use in baking. Put a sponge or folded paper towel or cotton balls in a glass, oven safe dish, and pour Vanilla over till it is soaked. Put it in the oven and leave it until it dries. You may have to repeat a few times, but it will work.

I live in New Orelans, and this method helped tremendously with lots of stinky refrigerators after Katrina. I don't know what it is in the Vanilla, but it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

maybe it's the bourbon!

...isn't that the alcohol component of vanilla extract?

I don't know where I get all this trivia-
Reply With Quote Likes