Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #41
Rubber Obsessor

If you go to the USPS website and look up postage for a 15 oz package you will clearly see the actual prices.

Bear in mind their policy (adding tracking and insurance) means they cannot use the available lower price options of small flat rate box/envelope or first class international. That leaves their lowest price option beginning around $19-$20 before tracking or packaging costs are even added to the price.

I understand why they want to have the option to add tracking in order to counter "lost" package claims. I'm not so clear why they would always need to add insurance, since some indemnity is included in the options they are choosing.

As to the question of giving the customer a choice, I can understand why they do not offer a choice. i have done a lot of shipping in the past and the customer will almost always choose the lowest priced option. However, it is still the shippers responsiblilty to deliver the goods. So from the shippers point of view, there really is not a choice. Customers do have recourse with their credit card companies to receive reimbursement for packages never received. Other payment processers offer these same consumer protections. This money will then be recovered from the vendor. Some companies may be willing to assume more risk than others.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
TheOtherMeg likes this post.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #42
Pearl-ExPert

None of the other US companies I order from even offer tracking and I haven't lost a package. I highly doubt postal workers are 'casing' PTI stuff and looking to 'steal' them. :P

Maybe companies like PTI need to make requests to USPS to change their shipping policies because Canada Post offers cheap rates on tracked flat parcels that include $100 insurance which is more than the value of the average PTI order. Surely USPS has special rates for small businesses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katz_r_us View Post
If you go to the USPS website and look up postage for a 15 oz package you will clearly see the actual prices.

Bear in mind their policy (adding tracking and insurance) means they cannot use the available lower price options of small flat rate box/envelope or first class international. That leaves their lowest price option beginning around $19-$20 before tracking or packaging costs are even added to the price.

I understand why they want to have the option to add tracking in order to counter "lost" package claims. I'm not so clear why they would always need to add insurance, since some indemnity is included in the options they are choosing.

As to the question of giving the customer a choice, I can understand why they do not offer a choice. i have done a lot of shipping in the past and the customer will almost always choose the lowest priced option. However, it is still the shippers responsiblilty to deliver the goods. So from the shippers point of view, there really is not a choice. Customers do have recourse with their credit card companies to receive reimbursement for packages never received. Other payment processers offer these same consumer protections. This money will then be recovered from the vendor. Some companies may be willing to assume more risk than others.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #43
Rubber Obsessor

artsy, a lot of companies do not "offer" tracking, but they use it and include it in the cost of shipping. This is also what I did when I shipped a lot of goods. I currently do most of my shopping online and have noticed in recent years that most companies are now using tracking (actually Delivery Confirmation) when they use USPS.

The point i was making with the PTI situation, is that their business choices (adding tracking and insurance) exclude them from utilizing the cheaper forms of mailing when shipping internationally. That is why the cost is so much higher. The price is starting around $19-$20 for the first weight increment of under one pound.

The only way they can get the price down for international packages is to forgo those protections. As I said, some companies may have decided to take the risks. And yes, that is the actual rates being charged by USPS. They cannot go Fedex or USPS because then Canadians get hit with huge brokerage fees at the border.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #44
Pearl-ExPert

I don't disagree with you, and you make good points. If I ran my own business I'd be protecting my goods and bottom line, too. I just hope PTI can find a solution for its non-US fans because we'd love to own their products without hurting our own budgets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katz_r_us View Post
artsy, a lot of companies do not "offer" tracking, but they use it and include it in the cost of shipping. This is also what I did when I shipped a lot of goods. I currently do most of my shopping online and have noticed in recent years that most companies are now using tracking (actually Delivery Confirmation) when they use USPS.

The point i was making with the PTI situation, is that their business choices (adding tracking and insurance) exclude them from utilizing the cheaper forms of mailing when shipping internationally. That is why the cost is so much higher. The price is starting around $19-$20 for the first weight increment of under one pound.

The only way they can get the price down for international packages is to forgo those protections. As I said, some companies may have decided to take the risks. And yes, that is the actual rates being charged by USPS. They cannot go Fedex or USPS because then Canadians get hit with huge brokerage fees at the border.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #45
Rubber Obsessor

I hope so too. It would be nice to be able to spread the fun around.

I think you have a good point too, the USPS rates have just sky rocketed in recent years. Especially for those of us trying to ship overseas and Canada. It really is very expensive and sad for those of us with family and friends in other countries. It's hard to imagine they are not making enough profits already.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #46
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
but if you just one a stamp, or two, or three Stamping Bella's shipping is equally outrageous to the US (as PTI is to CA buyers).
NOT defending or taking sides as I have purchased stamps from all over the world......but Stampingbella ships UPS (like Stampin'Up) which automatically has tracking and brokerage fees/insurance built into the cost...(just a little perspective, a 20$ shipping charge from SU gets me 200$ worth of product as 1-2 stamp sets from PTI for the same 20$). PTI ships USPS Priority which doesn't provide the same coverage and for some of us (depending on where the packages arrive from) have added taxes or duties as our Canadian Postal service often flag these for review....

I would also have to pay 10$ from Stampingbella for small orders under $50 (we are only 7 hours away in the next Province) but again it's UPS vs regular mail. I know am paying more for the service but can track the package and it gets delivered to my door the very next day.

The most surprising shipping rates I found are from Europe. Even with the strong Euro vs the Dollar, most places charge only about 4-6$ to ship and I get my packages in record time. My most recent purchase from Scraposphere in France cost me $6 Canadian and came in exactly 1 week...same as orders from Whiff of Joy and Sugar Nellie....

It all comes down to the size of the business (what losses they can afford to absorb) and the Postal Services they have available to them.....

I am in the same boat wishing/dying to try PTI stamps and visit regularly hoping that they can find a way to ship to us here a little cheaper ...I totally respect their decision to use USPS Priority vs USPS Airmail as it's still a business and want to protect themselves....I still love the samples and will probably break down at some point
Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #47
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, that is great to know about Scraposphere, Whiff of Joy and Sugar Nellie! Again, I think part of owning a successful business is doing market research and figuring out who they'd be losing out to for whatever reasons. Of course my wish list encompasses many brands and when it comes time to choosing what I want, the shipping costs sway me just as much as desire.

As others have suggested and I myself to PTI, if they could offer free shipping for orders over $100, $150 or $200 even then I could probably find someone to split it with. I'd rather be paying for stamps and supplies instead of shipping and I'm sure everyone agrees with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriboo View Post
NOT defending or taking sides as I have purchased stamps from all over the world......but Stampingbella ships UPS (like Stampin'Up) which automatically has tracking and brokerage fees/insurance built into the cost...(just a little perspective, a 20$ shipping charge from SU gets me 200$ worth of product as 1-2 stamp sets from PTI for the same 20$). PTI ships USPS Priority which doesn't provide the same coverage and for some of us (depending on where the packages arrive from) have added taxes or duties as our Canadian Postal service often flag these for review....

I would also have to pay 10$ from Stampingbella for small orders under $50 (we are only 7 hours away in the next Province) but again it's UPS vs regular mail. I know am paying more for the service but can track the package and it gets delivered to my door the very next day.

The most surprising shipping rates I found are from Europe. Even with the strong Euro vs the Dollar, most places charge only about 4-6$ to ship and I get my packages in record time. My most recent purchase from Scraposphere in France cost me $6 Canadian and came in exactly 1 week...same as orders from Whiff of Joy and Sugar Nellie....

It all comes down to the size of the business (what losses they can afford to absorb) and the Postal Services they have available to them.....

I am in the same boat wishing/dying to try PTI stamps and visit regularly hoping that they can find a way to ship to us here a little cheaper ...I totally respect their decision to use USPS Priority vs USPS Airmail as it's still a business and want to protect themselves....I still love the samples and will probably break down at some point
Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #48
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan B View Post
I always wondered (and am sure there is an answer to this!). Why not give the customer a choice?

Pay more and have the package insured and tracked.
Pay less and take your chances. PTI will send it but will not be responsible it you do not receive it.
I'm with Joan on this one...I'd take the risk for sure. When I order from Amuse, I can choose either First class (slower but cheap) or Priority (expensive but fast). I live on the edge and always choose First Class

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eyelet..."
Gallery & Blog
Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #49
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree from a business perspective the benefits outweight the risks when it comes to offering first class international shipping. That is what the customers want, and who is to blame them. I refused to pay high shipping costs myself. I can honestly say I have had very little trouble with shipping 1st class internatioally in the 4-5 years I have done it. I have had only a handful of packages go missing. I do wish that USPS would offer delivery confirmation on those packages though, but I wont waste my time asking them to do so, as each year they give nothing, but instead raise shipping prices. UPS prices are just not competitive to USPS first class.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #50
Full of Malarky

I'm really glad to read through this site and see that I'm not the only Candian discouraged by PTI's high shipping prices. I've ordered a couple of times , and I waited until I got to over $100.00 so that I would get the the bit of a discount. Even so - I find that cost of shipping to be prohibitive. I would definitely order more from PTI if the shipping prices were lower. I'd love to get more of the stamp sets - but not $100.00 worth.

I'd like to see more options for shipping.

It hope that PTI is listening.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:10 AM   #51
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsy_em View Post
None of the other US companies I order from even offer tracking and I haven't lost a package. I highly doubt postal workers are 'casing' PTI stuff and looking to 'steal' them. :P

Maybe companies like PTI need to make requests to USPS to change their shipping policies because Canada Post offers cheap rates on tracked flat parcels that include $100 insurance which is more than the value of the average PTI order. Surely USPS has special rates for small businesses?
Most probably this would be a huge waste of PTI's time. USPS will likely not change their shipping policies unless it is dealing with a HUGE company who mails HUGE amounts (like Netflix). And then it might only change their shipping policies for that one company only, and not for everyone.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:01 AM   #52
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerryBerry View Post
Well, I'm not Canadian, but I'm an Australian that orders from PTI reasonably regularly. The shipping to Australia is really expensive so I wait and order either by $100 or $200 lots to take advantage of the discounted shipping.

I have found that what I am charged (before the discount) is actually less than that is charged by USPS, so I guess they are taking a hit on postage whenever I order.

As mentioned previously, their shipping policy changed after the first release as I believe quite a few orders did not make their destination.

I have never had any problems with any of my goods being damaged during transit. Everything is packed and wrapped so nicely it's almost a shame to unwrap to use, lol!

Maybe you could get together with some friends and arrange to share the shipping costs.

Jo
I'm an Australian too and would LOVE to be able to get my hot little hands on some Papertrey stamps but would only be able to afford one set at a time - to pay more for the shipping from Papertrey than the actual stamp set costs just makes it so frustratingly unaffordable .
I buy from the USA frequently from alot of different companies/private sellers because the US$ to Aussie$ exchange rate makes it worth my while and never had a parcel go missing (touch wood!!) - but it is always at my own risk & I understand that. I just wish I had the choice with Papertrey to ship that way to Australia. None of my friends are into stamping so getting together a big order is never going to happen.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #53
Crimping Master

Hey girls,
I order from PTI semi-frequently. I usually put in an order that is at least $100 in order to get the $10 off. That makes the shipping $10. It usually gets here within a week. I ALWAYS have to pay duty. They are the only ones that I do have to pay duty on. No when I order $200, I save $20 in shipping which means the shipping is virtually free. I would love to be able to order only one stamp at a time when I want them rather than having to wait until I have enough WANTS to justify an order. I would LOVE to have someone to go in on an order with but ALAS there is no one to go in with me.... I hope and hope and hope that PTI does not go with UPS EVER because then, ladies, we will be truly screwed up here because of the brokerage fees UPS charges. Try at least doubling your fees. I will continue ordering from PTI but I'll keep doing it the way I do... waiting until there are enough things I want to put me over $100. Honestly the problem is really that I want too much and can't afford it and have to figure a way to whittle down the choices to reflect what I CAN afford. The only thing that irritates me is that often when I figure it out something ends up being out of stock and then by the time it is back in stock something else is out of stock.... But that makes me rethink what I'm spending and really decide if I want it and that's probably good.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #54
Rubber Obsessor

Does PTI send Canadian orders via UPS or USPS/Canada Post? I'm just wondering before ordering. I find that SU orders via UPS never cost me duty, regardless of the value of the order but EVERY order from Two Peas in a Bucket has to be picked up from my post office AND I have to pay at least $10 duty. Just curious if the higher UPS charges means not having to pay the brokerage/customs fees separately.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #55
Stazon Splitcoast

About shipping to Canada - I work for world wide known athletic company and we ship many many packages to Canada.
We have played and tried several different shipping methods and found that non of them are perfect but yes some are more costly.
The cheap ones left us with more packages to replace on our cost. the more costly ones did normally arrive to the customers.
I can understand why PTI goes with the shipping they do but I know it really sucks to pay higher ship chip charges.

We find that it really depends on the box if it get duty or or not. Some do and some don't.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #56
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaverick1 View Post
Does PTI send Canadian orders via UPS or USPS/Canada Post? I'm just wondering before ordering. I find that SU orders via UPS never cost me duty, regardless of the value of the order but EVERY order from Two Peas in a Bucket has to be picked up from my post office AND I have to pay at least $10 duty. Just curious if the higher UPS charges means not having to pay the brokerage/customs fees separately.
The orders come USPS/Canada Post. As far as I know we do not get the option of UPS from PTI. The most I have ever paid for duty on a PTI order was $30 and my order was over $400.

I know that the shipping can be expensive, but I personally think that the paper and other products are worth the extra that I have to pay.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #57
Pearl-ExPert

I'm getting ready to place a big order but there is always something on my list that is out of stock. Once it's back in, something else goes out of stock. Hopefully there will be a day soon that everything I want in this order is available. I'll report back once it gets shipped and arrives. That way I'll have some first hand experience with their shipping!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #58
Rubber Obsessor

That's the one thing that I find frustrating. I wish you could order out of stock stuff and have them ship it later instead of playing the waiting game. In the two weeks it took to get one set in, three other things I wanted went out. They'll have to wait for a couple of months until I can afford another big order to save the max on shipping.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #59
Pearl-ExPert

I was thinking the same thing! I hope they will find a way to 'backorder' items and ship them at a later date.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #60
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
That's the one thing that I find frustrating. I wish you could order out of stock stuff and have them ship it later instead of playing the waiting game. In the two weeks it took to get one set in, three other things I wanted went out. They'll have to wait for a couple of months until I can afford another big order to save the max on shipping.
It is frustrating. Sadly it does happen with many companies though.
I always got frustrated with one company as cardstock and many other things would out of stock. Their BO list is still like that.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #61
Crimping Master

I ordered the borders and corners stamps set way back and I did not like the quality of them. I found the acrylic to be too soft. I have since sold them all off and would not purchase from them again. Did they improve the quality or is it the same type of substance.

Lorri
Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #62
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Another Canadian here who just "doesn't" order from companies due to the shipping etc. I also tell them why. Not that I shake the core of the company with my little voice, but it is important for them to know why they are not getting my business. I actually left SU and the club I belonged to not only for shipping but because of what I felt was unfair price hikes for Canadians but not US customers. I got a nice form letter back, they weren't concerned with losing my business. Buy local ladies.... talk to your lcs to see if they can order in what you like, I did so with some Tim Holtz products and am more than willing to pay 1.50 more.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #63
Crimping Master

Jenn, I agree with supporting local. But you know what we have a stamp store here that only brings in what she wants to bring in. It is so frustrating to ask for something to be told she doesn't have a "money machine" and I am a guaranteed sale I would prepay.

By the way did you try those stamped images I sent? Did the ink hold out for you? I am sitting on the newer House Mouse I ordered right now and waiting to see if I have to go out and get a memento pad or maybe I could emboss them for you to color with copics.

Lorri
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #64
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiejen View Post
Another Canadian here who just "doesn't" order from companies due to the shipping etc. I also tell them why. Not that I shake the core of the company with my little voice, but it is important for them to know why they are not getting my business. I actually left SU and the club I belonged to not only for shipping but because of what I felt was unfair price hikes for Canadians but not US customers. I got a nice form letter back, they weren't concerned with losing my business. Buy local ladies.... talk to your lcs to see if they can order in what you like, I did so with some Tim Holtz products and am more than willing to pay 1.50 more.
I completely agree with the disgusting price differential at SU. I had seen a copy of the US Summer mini that was floating around on-line earlier this month and planned to buy some of the items until my CDN copy arrived in the mail. YIKES!!! The mark-up is HUGE and I can't understand that when the catalogues were printed fairly recently and our dollar is pretty high and has been for a few months. When I finish in my SU club at the end of the year, I won't be signing up again. And I don't foresee any of my remaining orders including stamps.

I don't have a problem with a mark-up that's just how businesses operate. BUT $7 per set or punch when the CDN dollar is only a few pennies below the US is inexcusable IMO. And I won't pay it. Instead, I put in a huge stamp order for PTI stuff and will happily pay the shipping (which you get 10-20% off if you order enough) and will sleep well knowing that in the end, I could NEVER get that many stamp sets from SU for what I've spent at PaperTrey.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #65
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Sorry to hear your lcs store person is not willing to bring in customer suggestions. The lady we have here in Winnipeg by my place is a doll. She likes Tim Holtz so I'm happy.
I've moved away from SU and am into more altered/artsy work now. I've never ordered from PTI but I here their paper is very good.

Lorri I pm'd you and checked my sent box and I did send you a note about the housemouse, maybe it got lost???? You are the best for sending me all of those images. And no shipping charges to boot.
lol
Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #66
Pearl-ExPert

Yah I order from PTI but I get it shipped to a PO Box across the border that I have to drive an hour round-trip to get to, not to mention the border waits..

What we do for that Papertrey!!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #67
Crimping Master

Jenn, you did let me know you got them, I was just wondering if the ink I used worked for you. I checked out memento and versafine and they are pretty much the same type of inks so I am glad to hear you were able to not smear the images. No problem on the shipping--Ilove keeping Canada Post in business LOL. While doing your images I stamped my own on watercolor and was coloring them for my own cards. I love these images and when I get free I will send you the next batch. These are larger more detailed images.

Lorri
Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #68
Crimping Master

Quote:
UPS into Canada from the US will KILL you. You may not have to pay duty per se... it will be included in the brokerage fee they charge you. And THAT is astronimcal. I will not order anything shipped via UPS from the States because of that. The brokerage fee will be 2 to almost 3 times the $20 shipping fee from PTI. I ordered once from a theatrical makeup place online that had way cheaper prices and shipping included than buying here. Then I got dinged with the brokerage fee from UPS. Yike! The stuff ended up being double what I would have paid buying local. Hard lesson learned - and usually I do buy local but the price just seemed soooooo much cheaper online that I went for it.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #69
Rubber Obsessor

I adore PTI products and did put in an order recently when I was in love with so many of their designs. I decided to 'save' on shipping, I would go over the $100 - $200 mark in order to get the $10 or $20 off. I usually don't spoil myself but did this time. I was very happy with all my purchases as they have such beautiful good quality clear stamps but did take a big hit with a customs fee. I don't think I can afford to continue buying from them unless they find some way to lower shipping costs. $10 off is great but I can't afford a $100 order just to get that $10 off ... especially when it is light flat stamp sets. Sigh ... Around $20 shipping for a $24 set is far too high for me ...

I will have to check out the website someone mentioned to get together to share shipping and customs fees ... would be great if others in the Lower Mainland, BC wanted to split the added costs ...
Old 04-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #70
Cardstock Collector

Hello all - I'm in the UK and I too would love to make an order to PTI but won't pay those ridiculous costs for 1 or 2 stamp sets, which is all I could afford to buy in one go. So I've found myself a lovely "proxy shopper" here on SCS - I bought a stamp set from her in the Buy/Sell a while ago and now she very kindly buys the stamps I want when she orders for herself and sends them to me using First Class mail. It usually costs around $6 and my package arrives in about a week. I've bought lots of sets in the Buy/Sell section here and had all those sent First Class too. I've now got about 30 sets and nothing has ever gone missing in the mail. Of course other stash such as cardstock, ink, etc is out of the question but good matches are easily found elsewhere.

Stampers are such a lovely bunch of people I'm sure there are more proxy shoppers out there in the US - my stamp purchases help my proxy shopper get free shipping for herself and go towards earning her a free anniversary set. Also knowing I can only buy 1 or 2 sets means I only get what I really really want.

Perhaps a new thread might find some of you a proxy shopper too!

Ann
http://lovemakingthings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #71
Stazon Splitcoast

I would be willing to be a proxy shopper for someone. The money could be put into paypal and then I could order right away for you. I live in Wisconsin and I know my Ebay packages to Canada first class take about 2-3 weeks to get there.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #72
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, I'm back to report on my first order experience. I placed my order on May 1st and it was processed right away. It was over $200 and Papertrey refunded me the $20 the very next day and my package was shipped that same day on May 2nd. The $20 refund brought my shipping costs down to $4.80. The package arrived in Canada Customs at the border on May 6th and SAT there for SIX days until May 12th. The wait was brutal I tell you! I was obsessively checking the tracking several times a day. Has it left customs? Has it left customs? I even thought the tracking stopped working once it hit the border but now I know that's not true. Well, I FINALLY got it the next day on May 13th but had to pay $31.24 in GST, PST and handling. The postman said I won the duties lottery. I said, "How's that?" He said sometimes you get picked for it and other times not. Gee, thanks! NOT. Luckily the CDN dollar is worth a few cents more than the U.S. dollar right now. LOL So that's my story. I think I'll order a few times a year on special occasions like Mother's Day, my birthday and Christmas since I'm now obsessed with their products but I can totally understand if Canadians are adverse to the shipping costs, especially if you're playing the lottery on duty. :O Hope this helps!

Last edited by artsy_em; 05-16-2010 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: addition and grammar check
Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #73
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsy_em View Post
...but had to pay $31.24 in GST, PST and handling. The postman said I won the duties lottery. I said, "How's that?" He said sometimes you get picked for it and other times not. Gee, thanks! NOT. Luckily the CDN dollar is worth a few cents more than the U.S. dollar right now. ...
I've been reading along with the thread since when I first started stamping I wanted to order from PTI but didn't because of the high shipping costs. I'm another one that won't order from an online company that ships with UPS. Their brokerage fees are rediculous and its insult to injury after paying the shipping prices. They basically hold your purchases ransom. I had to order a part from the states for our TV and had to pay $60 brokerage on top of the $30 shipping a couple years ago. Needless to say I was really PO'd with the company since they didn't tell me they were using UPS since the last time I ordered from them it came regular post and I didn't have to pay any extras. I don't order from a lot of online companies, but I'm very selective and choose only those that have reasonable shipping costs AND offer the choice to ship USPS.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #74
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

I find that if I keep the orders to around $50 -60, it makes it through without customs or GST charges (I haven't ordered from PTI so not sure if it works with them but it does with other companies) . If my order is a larger one, I've even been known to place two or three orders for the amount to get reduced shipping (like if it's $50 or more that's what each order total comes to). When I forgot and ordered stuff with a total of $90, I got nailed with the GST.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #75
Pearl-ExPert

I should've mentioned that it was via USPS (the post office), not UPS (the courier). For shipping to Canada, there are no options. If you're in the U.S., there are several options but since International shipping via USPS requires insurance and tracking, that's how PTI has decided to do it. As they've said, there have been too many lost packages which comes out of their pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
I've been reading along with the thread since when I first started stamping I wanted to order from PTI but didn't because of the high shipping costs. I'm another one that won't order from an online company that ships with UPS. Their brokerage fees are rediculous and its insult to injury after paying the shipping prices. They basically hold your purchases ransom. I had to order a part from the states for our TV and had to pay $60 brokerage on top of the $30 shipping a couple years ago. Needless to say I was really PO'd with the company since they didn't tell me they were using UPS since the last time I ordered from them it came regular post and I didn't have to pay any extras. I don't order from a lot of online companies, but I'm very selective and choose only those that have reasonable shipping costs AND offer the choice to ship USPS.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #76
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHS View Post
I find that if I keep the orders to around $50 -60, it makes it through without customs or GST charges (I haven't ordered from PTI so not sure if it works with them but it does with other companies) . If my order is a larger one, I've even been known to place two or three orders for the amount to get reduced shipping (like if it's $50 or more that's what each order total comes to). When I forgot and ordered stuff with a total of $90, I got nailed with the GST.
I've ordered stamps from other US companies and have paid duty on orders with values of $40-$60. On my PTI order of $200+ I paid nothing a few weeks ago. Customs doesn't "exempt" smaller amounts. Apparently, you don't pay duty for certain items. How the US company lists your items on the declaration form has a lot to do with whether or not we pay Canada Post to release our stuff to us since our government has predeteremined what is exempt of import charges.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #77
Pearl-ExPert

My description of contents was "acrylic stamps, paper, ribbon" even though I only ordered stamps. I wonder if they were more accurate as opposed to specifying the same(?) for every package they send out if we wouldn't get nailed for duty. That's just my hope for next time.

Quote:
I've ordered stamps from other US companies and have paid duty on orders with values of $40-$60. On my PTI order of $200+ I paid nothing a few weeks ago. Customs doesn't "exempt" smaller amounts. Apparently, you don't pay duty for certain items. How the US company lists your items on the declaration form has a lot to do with whether or not we pay Canada Post to release our stuff to us since our government has predeteremined what is exempt of import charges.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #78
Rubber Obsessor

Hi,
I was under the impression that goods made in the US (which PTI products are) are exempt from duty...? You would still have to pay PST/GST/HST, but on your order in the comments section you could ask PTI to state that all goods are made in the US.
I'm lucky enough to live fairly close to the border so I have my goods shipped there. Inconvenient but otherwise shipping is too much! Most of the time they wave me through; the only time I've paid tax was when I had a number of items (not just PTI) with a high dollar value. Even then I only paid GST/PST and no duty (I mentioned that they were US made).
nina
Old 05-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #79
Rubber Obsessor

My customs form simply listed "craft supplies" for an order of stamps and cardstock. Someone I asked here said they thought that duty was not charged on "raw materials" from the US. So, my supplies, even though they are US made finished goods were exempt because they were to be used to make finished goods (cards) here. I've never paid for stamps alone. I think it also depends on when your order hits customs. Mine arrived at 3 am and was rubber stamped in 3 minutes.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #80
Glitter Guru

It's not the duty that gets you...it's the tax plus the $5.00 handling fee, regardless of where the goods are manufactured.

I have ordered tons of stuff from the US and I understand that sometimes customs picks your package and sometimes you get away without paying extra, but for some reason, I always had to pay on PTI packages

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eyelet..."
Gallery & Blog