Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #41
Matboard Maniac

I have sent cards with all sorts of embellishments. As long as they slide through my Fiskars cutter (ruler) I know it will be okay. I do try to stay with soft and flat embellishments. If in doubt I add a sheet of card stock on the embellishment side of the card and mail off. Have yet to have a problem or have the person at the receiving end tell me they received it mangled (sp?).
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #42
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolblueView Post
What a great idea. Inserting a piece of cardboard. I will try that for sure. Of course it will have to be lightweight cardboard, to all fit in the envelope. Any suggestions on that?
JR
Cereal boxes are the best to use and your recycling too.
My blog
Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #43
Matboard Maniac

A heavier card stock works great. Less weight means not having to pay extra on postage.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #44
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillisView Post
I have sent cards with all sorts of embellishments. As long as they slide through my Fiskars cutter (ruler) I know it will be okay. I do try to stay with soft and flat embellishments. If in doubt I add a sheet of card stock on the embellishment side of the card and mail off. Have yet to have a problem or have the person at the receiving end tell me they received it mangled (sp?).
You did'nt mention if you add extra postage. I've been told to use the 62cent stamps.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #45
Cardstock Collector

Lightbulb

I have always been told that I needed to add .17 to my cards. I have never had a problem with that, although I mail them from home. Also, I print out on white cardstock the phrase "This sheet has been inserted to protect your card". I do 4 to a page and cut them to 5 1/2" x 4 1/4". They protect and don't add enough weight to matter. Plus you never have anyone wondering why you put in a chunck of cereal box.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #46
Stampin' Fool

for bulky ribbons, flip your card inside out before you mail it. It makes the envelope not so bulky
Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #47
Kookie Creator

use cardstock instead of cardboard
or turn the card inside out;
Old 10-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #48
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up Good Idea!

Your thin piece of cardboard protects your card (+ embellishments) AND helps protect the machines in the postoffice. Because of the "give" in the cardboard, it will compress a bit over the extra thickness of the embellishments thus providing a little more regular surface to go through the machine.

This is a GREAT idea to help satisfy our needs and the post office.

My younger brother just retired from the post office, and shared with me how much of a mess it causes when one of their machines breaks because of non-machinable mail. It slows down the delivery of the mail and raises cost for the post office (which passes down to everybody).

I'm also glad, like some others posting here, that there IS an option for mailing irregular items at the post office when I need to or want to. Our postage is enormously less expensive than other countries to which I've mailed.

It's a hassle when different people interpret the same rules in a different way or don't enforce them differently or whatever, but it does happen other places to.

I'm please to see the cereal box options: I didn't want to use my cardboard coasters!
Cheers!!!
SharonK- Crystal, MN

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButterflyEarsView Post
When I mail a card with ribbons, brads or buttons I cut a thin piece of cardboard and cover the bulky side of the card. This makes for a nice flat envelope that will go thru the spacers.