Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-04-2004, 12:42 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone please explain how a swap works

Hello everyone,

I see the swaps and they look interesting. Is it like a cookie exchange where you make X dozen of one type of cookie and end up with X different dozen of cookies?

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2004, 12:59 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

That's exactly how it works. Just follow the directions of each swap and you get some amazing samples of others cards. Just sign up for one, try it out and see if you like it.

Stacy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2004, 08:14 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

I was wondering the same thing about swaps. What does 10+1 card front and 2 layers mean? Also, you are just making card fronts not an entire folded card right? Is this just to get ideas or do you use the card fronts for something too? I know this sounds silly to the experienced stampers (I'm learning and enjoying every minute!) but I'm intimidated to join a swap because I don't fully understand what all it entails and I'm not sure my work is good enough yet. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2004, 09:10 AM   #4  
Abbe-licious

10+1 means you will be making 11 card fronts but will only be receiving 10 back. The one who is heading up the swap keeps the extra one for herself. If it says card front, then thats all you make. Some swaps are for a complete card, but they usually specify. 2 layers, means more than one layer. I guess if you do a swap with card fronts, you can keep them for samples if you want, but I would just tape them down to a card if I got one. I think they do ot that way to minimize on postage, and the amount of paper you use. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong in any of this. Don't ever be afraid that you are asking a stupid question, we all have had to learn this at some point too!
Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2004, 09:12 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

for a 10+1, you make 11 card fronts of the same card (12 if you want to keep one for yourself). There are usually 10 people in the swap, so you will get 10 card fronts sent back to you. The extra one (the +1) is for the organizer of the swap. That is the person that collected the participants, sorts the trades, and sends them all back out to the participants. She gets one of each card as "compensation" for her time and effort.

Most swaps want at least 2-layers of card stock on the trade card because just adding a layer of something makes it so much nicer looking. You can do more if you like, but just using 1/4 sheet of cardstock with a stamp on it is not really trade-quality. Experience levels are not generally an issue of concern, as even simple cards can be beautiful, but it does need to look like you put some effort into it. Again, don't just stamp a flower and an I Love You and call it a trade. Use a layer of CS, use an embellishment of some sort (embossing, glitter, tag, ribbon,etc), and send it off!

Always be sure to put at least your name and email address on the back of the trade card in case the other participants have any questions about how you did whatever you did. I personally usually list the "recipe" for the card, meaning I list the supplies I used and any special technique not readily apparent, but not everyone does that.

These swaps are generally used as ideas or set samplers. Sometimes they are all using the same stamp set, sometimes it is a particular type of embellishment... there are many different types of swaps that can be done. It all depends on what the organizer wants to do. If you have some you no longer want to keep, or the sets used get retired, or you just get tired of them, or whatever... mount the front on a regular-sized card and send them to the collection for our Armed Forces!

HTH,

--Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2004, 01:30 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Thank you ladies so much! As my students would say, you rock!!! I am no longer intimidated because I actually know what to do and have made some cute cards of my own. Now to wait for the perfect swap topic to come along.
Tracey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2004, 02:29 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

In person swaps (those held at meetings and other SU! events are also a great way to share ideas and meet other demonstrators. I love participating in swaps since it provides me with ideas I never even considered.

I would recommend to swappers to always accept the cards they are offered by other swappers (regardless if they like the set, technique, etc.). Keep in mind that everyone has put forth their best effort and should be praised for their efforts.

Reply With Quote Likes