Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all demos - Upline questions

I am sitting on the fence about becoming a demo - I think need to make sure I have a really, really experienced and enthusiastic upline before I make the plunge. One of my demos is burning out and cutting back, so I don't want to get someone that will be halfheartedly supportive. The other demo I know is really new and still learning.

Does my upline have to live in my area? Why or why not?
What kind of support should I expect from my upline?

My other fear is that I don't have a client base. How do you demos out there deal with that challenge?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 11:06 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I think it depends on the individual upline. Im more of a hobby demo but I managed to get a downline in another state. Basically I try to support her as much as I can. Shes new to the whole stamping world, I talk to her a few times a week to see how things are going I send her samples and swaps I've done and any new techniques I learn I send her or email her directions and pictures. Basically I think its however youre comfortable communicatig with them what will work for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 11:11 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I first started with my friends and family. Make a list of people that you talk to regularly. Say what you do..its amazing how many people want to order stamps! I was at a crop at a local stamping store one night and someone borrowed my black stamp pad...then she said she loved stampin up. So I asked if she had a Demo already and she said no that she just went to some party once. So I now have party in Jan. for her.
I talked to another lady in a stamp store and she wants to order, my sons preschool teacher is putting an order of 200.00 of just stuff she wants. I have only been a demo for a month and a half and have almost 1000.00 in sales and I am not even really trying that hard.
If you have more questions you can email me...I don't mind. I see you don't live that far from me.
Oh by the way you were talking about which demo you should choose...I wouldn't go with someone who might not be very supportive. Mine isn't as outgoing as I would like her to be, but I know a lot of the stuff already thank goodness. Pick someone willing to help you at the drop of a hat...it will make life easier for you.

Good luck...its a lot of fun!
Carrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 11:20 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Lynne,
If you don't have a strong stampin' connection with your current demos, and you're not enthused about her as an upline - I'd go with another one. I used to sell Longaberger and actually did not sign up with the consultant who did my workshop. (One caveat - I checked with that consultant first, and she didn't get anything from my becoming a consultant with her, because of her lack of activity level.) As my mom told me when I was talking about signing up, "success breeds success" - so I signed up under another consultant that was much more "into" it. Though I'm not a LB consultant anymore, I think that I got more out of it from having an active upline and branch.
That said, if you go with a long distance sponsor, it might be worth checking out your extended upline. For example, my fourth-level upline has demonstrators in every state; an occasional meeting with other extended-team members could be probably be planned no matter where any of my recruits live.

And of course you have all the wonderful SCS'ers for your internet stampin' community no matter what!!

Hope that helps some -

Happy Stampin' and Scrappin'!
Susan Epler

Independent Stampin' UP Demonstrator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 12:22 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for your candid and helpful comments! Lots of food for thought.
You are all so supportive!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 01:20 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Default My 2 cents......Long, more like 4 cents :-)

Hi Lynne,
I just went and browsed through your gallery, and here is my opinion on what you should do.
Share your talent!!!!! LOL
You have some absolutly beautiful cards. So obviously you enjoy making them.
What is your motivation to sign up with SU?
Income
Discount on stuff
Making new friends
A full time/part time career
Whatever your motivation is, it can be found in SU. This is not to say that it won't take some time to build up your business, but think of it as an adventure.
I recently moved to a small town, very small town. I don't know a soul. I decided to sign with SU so that I would make friends, that are interested in the same things I am interested in. And hopefully make a little spending money on the side. And I have to say, I am having a ball. I am meeting people, telling them about what I do. Some are interested, some aren't. I take it one day at a time.
As for an Upline. It is best to know what you need...... and find someone who will meet your need.
For example if you are a self starter and don't really need to have someone available to you. Or if you need support at hand, ideas etc.. Go with what you need. Find the person that will suit your situation.
If the options of uplines available to you right now don't seem right, keep looking for the type of downline you are looking for.
I can see by browsing your gallery that you are really talented. share it :-)
And as someone else mentioned, you always have us here on SCS to chat with!!!
Bless Ya,
Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 01:28 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Lynne,

Another way to find an upline that is active is to go to the Stampin' Up! main website and click "Find A Demonstrator". Demonstrator have to have a certain level of sales to be listed. Also look to see if they list their title. You will able to tell how active and involved they are by their title. I would also email each of them in your area and tell them you want to sign under someone that will be active, supportative and teach you. In a way, interview each one. I was adopted by an incredible upline who has meeting all the time and is always there for support and encouragement.

I am a Hobby Demonstrator, but I never would have learned as much about stamping had I not become a demonstrator. It an incredible company!

Hope this helps!

Good Luck,

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 01:48 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Oh, I think you should definitely become a demo! The products really do sell themselves! And even though I live in a "saturated" suburban area, you wouldn't believe how many people haven't even HEARD of stamping, and are SO captivated by the whole thing once they see what I've made. And I'm a very un-artistic person, but with SU stuff, I can create!

About your upline - I wouldnt' go with the person who isn't as into it anymore. Anyone that you get along well with and can encourage you would be fine. I really appreciate having my upline live 5 minutes away - when I was preparing for my recent workshop, I found that I needed some metal-rimmed vellum tags, and she loaned me some til I get my order. I can borrow cardstock from her, she borrows some from me, and we even share stamp sets sometimes.

Your love for stamping will be contagious - give it a try!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 03:33 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Calling all demos - Upline questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by look-inkgood
Does my upline have to live in my area? Why or why not? What kind of support should I expect from my upline?
No they don't need to live near you. I train all mine via email regularly. 10 of them are coming to a retreat on the island where I live, next weekend! We are doing shoebox projects--last year I provided ALL the projects and it was too much; this year we are sharing and learning from each other. I can hardly wait to see them!

Support from your upline? Guidance perhaps, but there's nothing wrong with signing up under a novice and the two of you learning and sharing together, if you share the same goals. Otherwise, there are PLENTY of resources available right here. IMHO the experience or lack thereof of your upline is not of significance: your success depends on you, not her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by look-inkgood
My other fear is that I don't have a client base. How do you demos out there deal with that challenge?
Neither did I. I had just moved to an area where I knew absolutely NOBODY. I held an Open House and invited my dh's co-workers (teachers at the elem/middle school in our small town). I got referrals back then thru the demo'r locator system (totally different then than it is now), and when I was in Michael's I'd assist strangers in the stamp aisle that seemed confused and in need of more help than the sales clerk could give. Then, I'd present them with my biz card and told them to feel free to call me if they ever had any questions about stamping.

I wore my nine pocket window tote EVERYWHERE--it drew attention and got lots of people to ask for my business card.

It took off like gang-busters!

Basically, I DOVE into it; I called the toll free SU! # from an ad in Rubberstampmadness magazine!!!!! I signed up with a total stranger referred to me by the referral phone system. She was in Tacoma, over an hour from my home town. I attended one of her group meetings, and signed up right then and it was the first time I'd ever met her.

Later on, Marie told me she knew I was a great recruit who'd be successful right off the bat. When I asked her how she knew, she replied that she could see in my eyes from that first meeting that I was a self-motivated, self-starter willing to dig right in.

I receive a "personal" email from her maybe once a year, regular group emailings with general tips and ideas almost weekly, meet with her ALWAYS at Convention, and whenever I need info I can't find on my own, she's right there for me when I call. She lives 3+ hours away from me. The only time I see her is at Convention. I wouldn't trade her for the world!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 03:52 PM   #10  
SOS
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default To Be A Demo or Not

I agree a lot with what has been said. I have said this before, but I'll say it again. I had absolutely never hosted an in home party of any kind before in my life when I signed up to become a demo. And I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing! I had a party and didn't even know to market it as my "getting started" party. I invited everyone I knew and half of them showed up and it was a huge success!

It will come to you if you want it to! It can be hard work and sometimes you'll wonder what you got yourself into. But that is OK. Anything worth having doesn't come easy! You'll get out of it what you're willing to put into it.

It doesn't matter rather your upline is totally experienced or not either. Because SCS will help you in any way you need for you and your upline. I know horror stories of uplines that live close by and then great stories about those that are on different coasts. Thank goodness for email and free nights and weekends!

If you sign up, just remember to make goals. If you want to do it as a business -- You DO NOT need everything in the catalog and make sure you keep great records for tax time. Organization can make you or break you!!!!!!!!

Good luck in your decision. And keep us posted on what you decide to do!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/SOS
Making Memories One Stamp At A Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 07:28 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Just looked at your gallery. Your work is awesome. I too am thinking about becoming a demonstrator. Actually, I've thought about it off and on for three years. I have some of the same fears you do. I'll be watching to find out what you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You've gotten a lot of great advice! When I signed up, I had a catalog with my upline's info on the back. I had never met her and didn't know her from Adam. My original demonstrator had gotten out of SU! and had had a workshop to pass her customers on to my now-upline which I did not attend, so I didn't meet her then.

But a couple of years later when I had decided to sign up, I called her and went to meet her. I lucked out, fortunately. We have a lot in common and enjoy stamping together. I see her usually once a month at her meeting for her downline, though sometimes she comes to my house to stamp! I am so thankful that I called her and not another demonstrator! She is very supportive, sends out emails to her downline and is willing to loan out her sets to any of her downline.

As far as I go, I have three first level downline and one second level. One of them is out of state. She was a demonstrator for CTMH first and decided to switch. She saw my work on the Technique Junkies list and emailed me about signing up. It's a perfect relationship since she already has the stamping part down and is experienced in direct sales. She participates in my upline's monthly swaps by mailing me her swaps beforehand. I sent her a complete book of inspiration sheets after she signed up, as well as giving her a signing bonus of a set of incentive stamps and a couple packs of mini catalogs. We email each other at least once a week and have gotten to know each other over the past two months, again finding that we have a lot in common!

My local downline comes to stamp two or three times a month. I loan stamp sets if they need them, I trade cardstock with them if they are short on a color, help them in planning their workshops and generally try to be supportive as possible. I have been gratified to find that they have become good friends as well as business associates! But I did tell them that if they didn't want a social life from their business, I would understand that too!

So my advice is find someone you can be comfortable with and who is willing to provide the level of support that you need. Having this online community is a great resource, but if you feel you want someone who is in your area that you can get together with, then go that way. Good luck!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 08:26 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Lynne, judging by your gallery you've got the stamping part down. No worries there. It seems like it's more the business side of things you need support for. I feel having some friends and family who are willing to host a party is key to starting off on the right foot. Have you asked any of them if they would be willing to host a party if you signed up? As far as an upline goes, you need to go with someone you feel comfortable with. Your success is up to you ultimately. It's nice to have a supportive upline but if you want this bad enough you will find a way to do it even without a supportive upline. There are tons of ways for you to get the info you need. There's demonstrator support. They are just a phone call away. There is the demonstrator web site, the monthly demonstrator magazine, Stampin' Success, there are regionals, convention, and of course this wonderful site. In general, I have found SU demonstrators to be very generous and willing to share their ideas, support, etc. Good luck with your decision.

Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 08:31 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I live in the area and I have a really great and supportive upline group. I attend two different group meetings every month. One is my upline's upline meeting and the other is another level above that one. They are all excellent ladies and very helpful and supportive. I have even started my own downline. The meetings are great motivators and it is so nice to get to know other demos. I took a peak at your gallery and it is great! Let me know if you want any more info. [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 09:40 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by your Gallery, um, hello, what are you waiting for??!! you do beautiful work! Sign up, Sign up!!! Ive already CASED or printed out for reference many of your cards!!! (thankyou!!) Do it girlfriend!! The only thing you might lose is.. um.. hmmm.... uh... NOTHING!! Youll end up with lots of stamps and accessories if you decide its not for you!!!
Good luck, just jump in!!!
Tandra

P.S. Julie I wanna come stamp at your place!! When does the next boat leave from So Cal?!?!?

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 03:58 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Could it be that your current demo who is burning out might get out? Instant customers! :lol:

Like JulieHRR said, YOU will determine your success as a demo, not your upline. There are just too many groups online for you not to be able to get an answer to your question. Plus, SU has tips on its site.

Go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 04:48 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Lynne!! I just went and looked at your Gallery!!! WOW!!!! Something funny - the card I made just the other night was one of yours - the Warmest Wishes with the purple ribbon - you have the BEST ideas!!!

Go for it, girl!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 05:43 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Default Re: Calling all demos - Upline questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
No they don't need to live near you. I train all mine via email regularly. 10 of them are coming to a retreat on the island where I live, next weekend!
Oooooooh! Can I come? lol It's such a short drive from Colorado! Especially to an island! :lol:

I wanted to support what Julie was saying by adding that I lived near my upline for about a week after signing up, but then had to move away, and she has been so awesome! She calls me every quarter, sends emails all the time, sends me little goodies in the mail, and is generally a fantastic lady. I am so glad I signed up with her, although at the time, I never considered the importance of an upline.

I hope that you get a wonderful upline, and that you make the best decision for YOU (but I hope you become a demo! Your work is great!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 07:01 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Calling all demos

I had a peek at your gallery, too. WOW! I'm a hobby demo and if I lived in your area, I would pay generously to attend one of your stamp camps. It's true that SU has something for nearly anyone who stamps or would like to! I like Julie's idea of carrying a tote with some of your work on it. There are stampers out there who are looking for someone of your skill level to learn from and talk "stamp" with. Go For It! I can personally say that signing up is worth it for the discount and I LOVE being able to place my own orders, whenever I like!
It's not that hard to make the minimum. I make 6x6 scrapbooks for baby and wedding gifts. 4x6 photo boxes and a monoadhesive make it simple to pop the photos right in. Guess what? Now the recipients place orders for more. I help them pick out albums and papers, cut the pages for them and print out a sheet of titles and words for them to use. Simply Scrappin' kits make it very simple for busy scrappers like myself, too.
I'm sure you will hit on something that works great for you! There are so many ways to make this work well. And your business can change according to you and your family's needs anytime!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 07:02 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Lynne, you're a natural. Your cards are fabulous!!

When I first signed up I was frustrated thinking that my immediate upline wasn't providing me with everything I needed, but did I ask??? No! Duh...
I now talk to her weekly if I need and always see her at our monthly meetings held by her upline (my second up). I feel so supported and encouraged. I think you get out of it what you put in.
I now have 3 in my downline and worry that I don't provide enough for them but I figure that hopefully they'll ask and I always make sure they know when the meetings are and the important websites (SU! and SCS) to visit for ideas, answers and support.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.
~janice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 07:43 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't forget about your local team of demonstrators. I learn alot just from the team I meet with once a month. My downline helps me..but the team collective have helped me tremendously!

Also Splitcoast and the SU website are like a upline in itself. I usually seeks answers here first, before I even call my upline.

I did not sign up with the demo that did the workshop I attended. I signed up with my upline from a stamp camp. The reason I signed up with her is because I new she was active in a team of demos that met once a month and supported each other. The other demo was from a different city.

Good Luck! And remember we are all here with you to support you and to share with you on SplitCoast!
SCS#5115
My Humble Gallery
"If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it"
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 09:42 AM   #22  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

WOW your work is awesome.. GO FOR IT!! I too will be signing that dotted line and sending in my papers by the 1st of the year. Gotta get some more $$ lined up to buy some new sets and the starter package
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 09:58 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Lynne, I'm not a demo (and probably won't become one because my area is so saturated with them), but you are certainly very talented. You have some extremely creative and gorgeous cards in your gallery. Go for it and good luck!! Julie Ann
Reply With Quote Likes