In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
Default buying from UK to USA?

I am considering buying from Crafter's Companion, UK site because they have more than on the US site. I have easily purchased from Aliexpress but not from any other store outside of USA. I tried to find out about customs/duty/VAT? but have found no info. Has anyone purchased from UK to US? I am wondering if there are extra costs involved. Perhaps I should give up my foolish idea.... Thank you!
Redeemed is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
mungojerry likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 281
Default

I have purchased from UK sites multiple times. I have purchased from Clarity and they add an extra charge for shipping to the US but that is more than offset from not having to pay the VAT tax. I've also purchased from another website that does not refund the VAT but I get free shipping even to the US.
khogan is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
Stampin' Fool
 
lovetostamp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In Peace and Happiness
Posts: 1,258
Default

I used to enjoy shopping on their UK website because they offered more than what the US site had available. However, over the last year or so, shipping has gone too high, and now, depending on the daily rate of exchange, you have to spend close to $200 US to get free shipping. CC is charging between £25 and £50 depending on your order amount; that's a little high for me for crafting supplies.
lovetostamp3 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetostamp3 View Post
I used to enjoy shopping on their UK website because they offered more than what the US site had available. However, over the last year or so, shipping has gone too high, and now, depending on the daily rate of exchange, you have to spend close to $200 US to get free shipping. CC is charging between £25 and £50 depending on your order amount; that's a little high for me for crafting supplies.
I was considering spending about $200 to get the free shipping. What did you have to pay for customs or VAT? I'm not sure if that depends on the purchase amount - whether you spend $50 or $200 - and if you don't have to pay if it's less, but do if it's $200.
Redeemed is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
Mad Swapper
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,669
Default

VAT is a % of the price of the goods. Currently it's 20% in the UK, so you should expect to pay 5/6 of the VAT-inclusive price once they have either taken the VAT off on the site or refunded it afterwards. I usually email a new supplier first to check that they will refund or deduct the VAT and to find out how it happens. The key thing is that if you are outside the EU, then VAT is not payable.

Customs charges will be levied by your own country and there should be a site somewhere which explains the charges. I'm in New Zealand, where any local GST (VAT equivalent) and duty are calculated at entry and are payable before the goods are sent on. I don't know how that works in the USA.
Stampnnatter is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:03 PM   #6
Stampin' Fool
 
lovetostamp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In Peace and Happiness
Posts: 1,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I was considering spending about $200 to get the free shipping. What did you have to pay for customs or VAT? I'm not sure if that depends on the purchase amount - whether you spend $50 or $200 - and if you don't have to pay if it's less, but do if it's $200.

To my knowledge, VAT has never been added on to my order, because (to my understanding from doing some work over there), I'm not a UK citizen. That's why you apply to be reimbursed for it when you leave the country.

I also have never had to pay a customs fee for crafting items.
lovetostamp3 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #7
Stampin' Fool
 
lovetostamp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In Peace and Happiness
Posts: 1,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampnnatter View Post
VAT is a % of the price of the goods. Currently it's 20% in the UK, so you should expect to pay 5/6 of the VAT-inclusive price once they have either taken the VAT off on the site or refunded it afterwards. I usually email a new supplier first to check that they will refund or deduct the VAT and to find out how it happens. The key thing is that if you are outside the EU, then VAT is not payable.

Customs charges will be levied by your own country and there should be a site somewhere which explains the charges. I'm in New Zealand, where any local GST (VAT equivalent) and duty are calculated at entry and are payable before the goods are sent on. I don't know how that works in the USA.

Thank you for clarifying that for me; obviously I was given the wrong information. As I mentioned before, with all the various overseas sites I've used for crafting supplies, I've never been charged a customs fee on my end. I was charged a custom fee once, however not for art or craft supplies.
lovetostamp3 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I am considering buying from Crafter's Companion, UK site because they have more than on the US site. I have easily purchased from Aliexpress but not from any other store outside of USA. I tried to find out about customs/duty/VAT? but have found no info. Has anyone purchased from UK to US? I am wondering if there are extra costs involved. Perhaps I should give up my foolish idea.... Thank you!


I wish people would not buy from Ali Express. They steal designs and copy them.
__________________
Sharon
skm330mks is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Ragtop, mungojerry and lynkim like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:24 PM   #9
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skm330mks View Post
I wish people would not buy from Ali Express. They steal designs and copy them.
I know what you mean but Aliexpress is a giant amazon/ebay with 1000s of products and sellers and you can't throw out the baby with the bathwater, not every Aliexpress seller is a criminal.
Redeemed is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off