Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brayer Instructions

Hello,

I have just received a brayer with a rubber attachment and foam attachment without any instruction on how to use it?

I was wondering how to go about using it? I have been to the resource page where there are a lot of techniques that I am just dying to try but want to know if you ink up the rubber attachment? and if so how do you get that clean? and with the foam attachment how to use it as well? Do you just place the ink directly on the attachments? and am hoping you could tell me what would be the best way to clean these attachments once I am done using them? I don't have any reinkers at the moment but do plan on getting them sometime this year.

Thank you in advance for your time and responses,
angie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Talking 50 Ways to Love your Brayer

50 ways to use Brayer

1.Stripes: using markers, make stripes on your brayer (this works best if you lie it on its back and
turn the roller while holding the marker) all the way around until the beginning
and ending stripe meet. Roll brayer across your paper in whatever direction you desire.

2. Squiggles (technical term): Repeat the same process as for Stripes but make wavy lines instead
of straight

3. Confetti/Dots/Raindrops: Randomly make marks on your brayer with your marker (you can
use different colors) all over the entire roller. Then roll away.

4. Plaids: Same as with the markers for Stripes except criss cross pattern.

5. Plaids: You could also outline the stripes for your plaids with the smaller tip of your marker to
make the plaid/stripes stand out more.

6. Plaids: Rainbow/Kaliedacolor plaids are made with the brayer being rolled over a KC pad
several times then brayering over your paper. Repeat as necessary for the desired depth of color
and surface coverage. Then repeat the process in the opposite direction.

7. KC Backgrounds: Same as above just don't create a plaid design. This works great for those
scenery or landscape cards.

8. Reverse/mirror Image: Color your stamp, rubber side up and roll the brayer over the image
several times, then roll over your paper (works great with trees, flowers etc). You
can also add this technique to the above KC backgrounds for a great scenic card.

9. Mirror Image: If you have an image that you want to face each other say the Pig from Farm
Fun.....you would brayer over the stamp like above and then roll onto your paper then stamp the
original pig image nose to nose with the first.

10. Kissing: Brayer over a background stamp like Pindot./Plaids then use your other stamps like
the Seasonal Solid and stamp onto the background stamp then stamp
onto your card stock - your solid stamp now has a design and you have just multiplied your uses
of one set.

11. Ghosting: Stamp an image on your card (say the Snowflake from the "Snowflake" set)
several times in clear embossing ink. (DO NOT EMBOSS) Then brayer over your
invisible images with regular dye pad and your snowflakes will start to appear.

12. Resist: Works best with glossy paper, you will need to choose your resist medium, ink, wax
or other. I tried with the metallic pens (looked different) What happens is that you color on the
glossy card stock with the pens anyway, or pattern then you use the same technique as the
ghosting by brayering over with a different color. The pattern that you
drew or colored will not let the brayered ink to absorb through the card stock therefore comes the
resist". (this category could actually count for about 10 different ways to ove your brayer as you
are only limited by your imagination on what you choose as your resist medium) Others to try:

13. Oil colored pencils (work best with regular matte finished papers);

14. Crayons;

15. Wax paper;

16. Metallic pens;

17. Ink;

18. Resist ink;

19. Emboss ink (try the emboss pens to write a hidden message)

20. Rubber cement;

21. Masking fluid

22. White out/correction pen;

23. Gel pens;

24. Wax resist sticks;

25. Deka paint (for fabric - much harder to do).

26. Another "Resist" able technique: crumple a piece of wax paper; iron (on hottest setting/no
steam) wax paper onto white card stock (be sure to use an additional sheet of card stock between
the wax paper and iron); press for only 2-3 seconds - this will transfer the wax to both sheets of
card stock (if you iron too long the wax will be absorbed into the paper) Ink your brayer and then
brayer over card stock. The brayer will resist laying color where the was paper has left its design
(makes a great background paper)

27. Another variation to the above is to use your stylus tool and with the wax paper on the
card stock use the tip of your stylus to write your own message or draw your own design - brayer
over to reveal your design or message.

28. Use your brayer for those big background stamps to get an all over inking.

29. You could also use the same technique as above for those bigger solid images that you want
to emboss. Brayer over the image with the emboss pad for an even/smoother finish.

30. Put a piece of cheesecloth down and brayer over the cheesecloth for a different effect.

31. Try the same as above with lace doilies.

32. Lace

33. Bubble wrap

34. Brayer over a leaf (two ways to do this: place card stock over leaf or other nature finds and
bring out the textured surfaces below; or use the reverse/mirror image echnique to pick up the
pattern of your nature find.)

35. Joseph's Coat: Brayer with a KC pad and cover the entire area of your card (glossy
works best). Emboss your image with clear embossing powder/ink on top of the area
colored (this technique works best with the more solid image stamps like the tent from Roughin
It or the Kids Prints). Then ink your brayer with Black or Navy (the darker the better) and cover
the entire card again with this new color. Let the overcoat of ink dry, then buff the card with a
paper towel to remove excess ink. What happens is that your KC color will then shine through.
Just think of a great landscape card with stars in the sky and trees) WOW!!

36. Ink up your brayer with embossing ink and roll over the entire card then emboss with
clear powder

37. Brayer an intense/brilliant color on glossy card stock then use a speckle background
stamp and clear emboss ink, stamp then emboss with Rainbow Razzle or other multi
colored emboss powder. When you heat it will bring out the beautiful play in colors.

38. Watercolor brayer: Ink your brayer with a rainbow pad or markers, then spritz with a water
bottle, then roll out for a very pretty watercolor look. LUCITE/ACRYLIC:

39. Wrap saran wrap around your brayer for another unique background

40. Try fabric netting or the netting from bags of oranges or marbles as above.

41. Cheesecloth another unique background

42. Try string

43. Yarn

44. Crochet yarn

45. Try the new Encore pads and rolling it out onto liquid appliqu� for a faux suede look.

46. Crinkle up a piece of Mulberry paper, ink up your brayer with the new Encore pads and
give your Mulberry paper that guilded look.

47. Faux Suede - squeeze brown liquid appliqu� on wax paper or aluminum foil. Roll the brayer
until it is coated and smooth. Roll an even coat of the liquid appliqu� on your cut out image (try
the gingerbread man die cut) let it set for a minute then heat. This will give you a nice suede feel.
Try it with different colors. But be sure to clean your brayer right
away.

48. Use your acrylic brayer with pigment ink on glossy (takes a little while to dry) don't roll use
a quick sliding motion to brush the inked brayer across the card stock, wiggle if you want (the
brayer silly!) You can make some awesome plaids or sunbursts.

49. Try the same technique above but tap the brayer around in different areas for an all over
colorburst.

FOAM ATTACHMENT
50. Use your foam brayer for an all over airbrush effect.

51. Use your foam brayer with your stencils.

52. Use with the KC pads for rainbow effect.

53. Use your foam brayer with markers for an interesting look. I've heard that you can make
some great tortoise shell, leopard or gemstone looks on glossy card stock.

54. You can also use the spritz technique with the foam brayer for a watercolor effect.
ACRYLIC ATTACHMENT

55. Roll out paper clay

56. Put rubberbands around brayer and ink up with ink and brayer onto card stock

57. Put rubberbands around brayer and ink up with ink and brayer in various directions making
plaid or various diagonal lines

58. Use your acrylic brayer to make sharp creases in your card stock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

wow great ideas! thankyou!!!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2005, 06:34 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Default wow jennifer thanks

Hi Jennifer.....

WOW, that is a wicked long list of brayer uses and way more than I expected!!!! (teaches me to doubt the experts on this site)

One other question though, this is all on the rubber attachment??? Can you buy the rubber part seperate? How do you get the rubber clean? Just wash it out with dish soap?

Thanks again, most appreciated!
angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I just run mine under water and blot dry. Works fine. You can spritz with stamp cleaner or use baby wipes also.
Reply With Quote Likes