Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boo-Hiss Scrapbooking Trends

I was a happy subscriber to this magazine and to Cards magazine last year but like everyone else challenged by the economy, I wasn't going to resubscribe this year.

Well, lo and behold, that on my credit card statement, they had taken it upon themselves to RESUBCRIBE ME on my credit card WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! This must have been a HUGE issue as when I called, the gal didn't question refunding me and was VERY apologetic.

Well, go to my next CC statement...THEY DIDN'T REMOVE IT PLUS I HAD LATE CHARGES!!!!!! I haven't used that credit card since the previous November so it had no other charges on it whatsover.

I immediately called them, and the gal assured me that she would take care of that immediately plus the late fee of $19.

Well, the before the CC arrived, I checked and yes, they had removed the sub charges but did not pay the late fee. My fault that I didn't check sooner as now I have an additional $4 in late fees!!!!

I called before Christmas and they are on break until today. I left a message that I expected a phone call today or I would start telling as many people as I could how it has cost me $23 to NOT RECEIVE A MAGAZINE THAT I DIDN'T SUBSCRIBE TO!!!!! They didn't call. I called them and they still have their holiday message on!!!

I am very disappointed in their lack of professionalism. What right did they have to resub me without their permission? Yes, they announced this fall that they would have a premium sub service and that a person would not have to resub but that was AFTER my sub was up!!!

Thanks for listening and check your CC statements carefully!!!

Lisa b.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him shall have eternal life." John 3:16
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

You may not have much grounds to stand on. Depending on how you signed up there may have been a statement (usually in fine print) that you would automatically be billed at the end to resubscribe. A lot of magazines (esp. those ordered through online deals) have this clause. If this is the case then they would credit the cost of the magazine you canceled, but would not be responsible for your late fees.

Good luck and hopefully they will take care of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

i recently subscribed to Card Trends and Homemade, I had seen where other people had the same thing happen to them with their credit card. towards the end of my order it does state that if paying by credit card we are giving them permission to resubsribe to the magazine each year unless you call and cancel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I know that I have only gotten my magazine a couple of times so this might be new that they added the clause about reordering. I would ask them when they started it. I have ordered a lot of magazines online and this is the only one that resubscribes me,all others send me a bill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Not to add salt to the wound, but it's YOUR credit that shows a late payment, not theirs!

On a slightly different note, you also need to be careful about using a debit card, because it comes out of your checking account. I once paid a years subscription to an internet *thingy* using my debit card. (I think if was something like Stopzilla - pop up blocker or something like that before you could them free) Anyway, i didn't like it and deleted it. A year later they took it out of my account for renewal. I guess I missed the fine print under the user agreement that they would renew WITHOUT notice.

But the point is that when using your debit card, the money is gone from your account until you get it straightened out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

The auto resub was new this fall...I received several emails from them saying "brand new." There is also no info about this on the email receipt that they sent.

I know that I probably will NEVER see the money for the late fee but I called them on October 28 and the charges were not removed from my credit until December 1...therefore the late charges. She said that they would "remove charges today." That's what gave me the impression that they were in a little hot water over this issue!!!
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him shall have eternal life." John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Happy ending...sort of

I decided to call my CC company and ask what I can do from my end to make them pay the late charges. The gentlemen told me that based on what I shared and on the lack of other charges on my card, he would deduct the late charges!

Now, of course, the first gal at Scrapbooking Trends told me that she would take care of the problem, too....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I would be really upset too! I had a one year subscription to the Martha Steward catalog and I paid by check. When it was time to resubscribe I didn't respond and they sent me a bill plus a warning about late fees! I called and they were apologetic but I got the impression that they try to bully people like this all of the time. I think what happened to you is terrible! After all you could have bought a really good stamp set with that money! : ) Oh and your title Boo-Hiss Scrapbooking Trends really cracked me up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

They did that to me a few months ago. I didn't even bother calling them, I went straight to my cc company. Told them it was credit card fraud, a completely unauthorized charge. She asked why I didn't call the mag and I said I didn't see the need to call the crook...I just want the charge removed. She called the mag while I was on hold and made them do the cancellation and credit right then and there.

If have zero tolerance for those kind of shenanigens from companies. I don't give a fig about their so-called "fine print." They know they are trying to slip something in behind your back, which makes it fraud in my book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Cards Magazine, Paper Trends

I, too, had a subscription to Cards. But when the subscription ran out, I decided I would buy it at Michaels with a coupon (which they don't allow now). But I also enjoyed Paper Trends, which I bought at the store. Eventually, I never found that book again, they discontinued printing it. I'm so glad that I did have a subscription to it because I think I would've been out of luck getting a refund.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

Wow! I would have never assumed that the charge was removed and that I didn't owe anything to the credit card company. Even IF they removed it that day, there could have been interest related to the transaction, though not much I am sure. I certainly wouldn't have failed to pay it on the assumption that it was credited off. Failure to make a payment could affect your credit score. I do agree, however that it is a terrible business practice. Unfortunately, a lot of companies are doing this kind of thing as it saves them money (postage for three reminders that you owe them money). Good luck! I hope they do pay your late fees and if they do, consider yourself very lucky. And then hope that your credit card company doesn't report you for having late payments two months in a row.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I cancelled all my subscriptions also. I did it a few years ago after the same thing happen to me but it was from Martha Stewarts living mag. Took a while to get it straight but they finally did.

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

I would suggest that you write a letter to your credit card company reiterating your understanding that all charges is the amount of $xx are bring removed from your account.

You can complain with your local Better Business Bureau or your State Attorney General about consumer issues. I would sugget you send a written letter to each, if that is your desire.

Scams are everywhere. You are right to check every item on your credit card account.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrappin' SonyaView Post
Wow! I would have never assumed that the charge was removed and that I didn't owe anything to the credit card company. Even IF they removed it that day, there could have been interest related to the transaction, though not much I am sure.
Just so you know - if a creditor backs out a charge properly, there is no interest to accrue. A true reversal removes the original charge as of the date it was originally added, therefore no interest can be charged. The potential late fee is another matter. And you're right that a missed payment can affect a credit score. If anyone is ever intersted in scoring, I'd suggest a quick visit to the Fair, Isaac website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I had something similar happen with my Sears bill. I paid it on time but wasn't totally paying attention to the actual amount. I knew approx. how much I would have to pay, so I went into the store. The cashier told me the amount I needed to pay (after I told her I wanted to pay the full amount). I paid and went on my merry way. The next month I get an interest charge on the amount I didn't pay on the previous bill. I freaked! I called the card company and explained. The girl said they had had some problems with other customers because the bill format had changed. She reversed the charge.
Then I called the store and talked to a manager asking her to teach the staff how to read the new bills.
The very next day I go to the store to pay my new bill. The cashier read the wrong part of the bill again (different cashier). This time I knew how much I had to pay, so I showed her the spot she needed to read on the bill to get the correct amount.
This month, a late fee of $ .07. Now, I know this is a drop in the bucket but, darn it all, I paid the bill the day after I received it (in full). What is wrong with these card companies?
I called the card company again and reamed the poor guy out. He apologized and reversed the interest charge. Come on people! Get your act together.
There, that's my rant about credit cards. I don't think I'll be using my Sears card again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well call me old fashioned but if I subscribe to anything anymore I pay it by check so I don't have this issue. I had the same thing with Norton and it was very trying to even get a phone number to call them. I did and I too was told it's in the fine print. This should be against the law.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I quess I'm old fashion too. Cause I don't use my credit card or debit card to pay for any Magazine Sub's. I write a Check or pay online through my bank.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Issue solved

A check will be the only way to go in the future for me, too!!!

Chris from ST called me yesterday and made me an offer I couldn't refuse to solve the problem! Thanks for all of your input...But still beware before you get yourself mixed up and DON'T USE A CREDIT CARD TO PAY FOR ANY SUBSCRIPTION OF ANY KIND!!!!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default And...

My credit card company was so kind! After looking at my account history, removed the additional charges!!! It was worth being a good customer!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

You know, DH and I paid off all of our credit cards about 8 years ago and only kept one for extreme emergencies. Once a month, we charge gas on that card and come home, and pay it on line from our checking account. It doesn't even get to hit the statement. I did buy a re-loadable credit card that I use for all of my on-line purchases only. It sucks because I keep a low amount on there (100) and if I want something more, I have to go out to reload it and pay a $2 fee each time, but that way, I am guaranteed no one can 'steal' my credit card # and they can't renew anything either because I get a new card every 3-6 months. It's a pain, but 13 years ago, we were victims of identity theft from our landlord. It took sooooo long to clear all that stuff up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Lots of companies do this-they call it being helpful. Not just magazines-insurance, the AA etc. They do this UNLESS you say otherwise. My sister had it done a few years ago by her OLD car insurance company on a written off car!!!!

Best to pay a one off and insist if paying by CC that details are removed and you DO NOT giver permission for it to be re-used and ask for a letter confirming details removed. Better still do not pay by CC. If you read the terms and conditions this is common-the onus is on the 'customer' as it were to ensure you say NAY rather than YAY.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

HMMM, I wonder what will happen to my mag subscription? After reading this thread it occurred to me that I have an automatically renewing subscription that has been being charged to a cc that I just recently cancelled. Guess I should let the magazine know they can't automatically renew my subscription. Not going to renew anyway. I can read EW on line. Thanks for jogging my brain about this.
Glad everything worked out, eventually for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

This is precisely why I NEVER order a sub on-line. I've never had a problem but try to be very careful. Good luck in getting everything reversed the way it should be.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Default Happening with other mags too?

I did not renew my CK subscription and got a letter in the mail last month with my "bill" for my phone renewal. I did not renew by phone. Today I got another bill as a "reminder". I'm sending them a letter today that I did not renew. I used to subscribe to both Simple Scrapbooks (SS) and CK but over the last year only retained SS. When SS went out of print a couple of months ago (before my subscription ended!), I thought it was over and I was just out a few dollars for the few issues I wouldn't be getting. I have no idea why I'm getting a bill from Ebsco (something like that) for a CK subscription. Frustrating!:mad:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

So glad they took care of it! Most of the time the cc's do try to be reasonable, in my experience (if not, I would cancel that cc!)
Another tip for future reference, is to go ahead and pay the cc, and then worry about getting the credit, to avoid late fees "just in case."

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Wow. I was surprised to find this old thread. Scrapbook Trends sent me an e-mail asking if I would like to renew my Cards subscription. I said "no". They charged my credit card anyway, to the tune of $44.00. I called 3 different times, they assured me they would take care of it. The charge has not been reversed, and it has been one full month. I'm calling my credit card tomorrow. Any other advise?

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillyfillyView Post
Well call me old fashioned but if I subscribe to anything anymore I pay it by check so I don't have this issue. I had the same thing with Norton and it was very trying to even get a phone number to call them. I did and I too was told it's in the fine print. This should be against the law.
It is against the law. Even if it's in the "fine print," it can't be enforced in a court of law.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie WehbeView Post
Wow. I was surprised to find this old thread. Scrapbook Trends sent me an e-mail asking if I would like to renew my Cards subscription. I said "no". They charged my credit card anyway, to the tune of $44.00. I called 3 different times, they assured me they would take care of it. The charge has not been reversed, and it has been one full month. I'm calling my credit card tomorrow. Any other advise?

Julie
The credit card company should work for you if you have a good relationship with you - you pay them. So give them the information they need. Contact the Magazine and tell them you are recording the conversation and that you did not authorize the subscription renewal and that if they send it to you, you will consider it a "free gift". You have therefore been upfront and stated your intent if they wish to pursue it. Keep your records of the conversations in case you need it and file a complaint with your state's Attorney General office or similar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

interesting, very interesting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
It is against the law. Even if it's in the "fine print," it can't be enforced in a court of law.
what makes you think this is against the law?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
what makes you think this is against the law?
I have heard it from the mouths of lawyers and judges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

I have called every hour on the hour and no one is available to take my call at Scrapbook Trends. I thought they were a good company and I am so disappointed to find out the hard way that they are not. I am turning in an unauthorized charge form to my credit card company and I will be calling the State's Attorney's office. Thanks for the advise.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

They did the same thing to me last month. I knew they pulled this on subscribers all the time and people have a hard time getting it reversed through them. I call once with no answer and didn't give them a second chance. I called my credit card and reported the unauthorized charge. They reversed the charge within a week.

I would recommend everyone they charge without authorization call their credit card companies. I have read on many boards that they just string people along claiming they will refund the money (if you ever get ahold of someone on the phone) and never do. I am definitely not resubscribing. I don't like this type of business practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

I have had this happen with several companies...must be the new "trend". If you are someone who doesn't pay attention they can get you. This happened with the phone company & with a virus software company as well as a magazine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
They did the same thing to me last month. I knew they pulled this on subscribers all the time and people have a hard time getting it reversed through them. I call once with no answer and didn't give them a second chance. I called my credit card and reported the unauthorized charge. They reversed the charge within a week.

I would recommend everyone they charge without authorization call their credit card companies. I have read on many boards that they just string people along claiming they will refund the money (if you ever get ahold of someone on the phone) and never do. I am definitely not resubscribing. I don't like this type of business practice.
This is exactly what happened with me. I was told twice it would be reversed and to watch my credit card. Yeah right. My credit card company just took care of this for me. Funny, they wouldn't answer the phone for them either.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes