In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2007, 07:07 AM   #41
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni
 
JanTInk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Set into the baseboard of your stamping room
Posts: 18,414
Default

Just thinking it's going to look a bit weird after I posted to this thread that I posted a card using Gina's stamps on my blog today. But, hey, that's what I was stamping with last night!
__________________
JanTink
Queen of the Vent

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink


JanTInk is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:15 AM   #42
Pearl-ExPert
 
Colleen Schaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta Baby!!!
Posts: 2,291
Default

I totally understand what the OP is saying...that said, I DO give links as often as possible. As part of a few DT's, I feel it is my job...but it is also because I genuinely do LOVE the product. I also promote other companies I don't design for...because I just want to share when I find something I love. BUT...I do try to keep it to just a "I used a Whipper Snapper stamp" or you can find the sentiment HERE...with links. I too don't care for the GUSHING that I find on some blogs...but then again...some people are just that excitable and really would GUSH in person too. My pet peeve is when they gush and it just doesn't sound genuine...if it is sincere...then go for it...get excited...if you are doing it just because you are supposed to...then ugh! It goes along with what Gina said about picking a few companies you REALLY like...not just adding to your resume!
__________________
Colleen Schaan - Education Specialist at Imagination International Inc.,/Copic Marker
Blog
- Distinctive Touches; My Copic Books!

Colleen Schaan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #43
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
Cammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 29,023
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Just thinking it's going to look a bit weird after I posted to this thread that I posted a card using Gina's stamps on my blog today. But, hey, that's what I was stamping with last night!
bahawahhh........

too funny but that card is sooo stinking cute....did you know you can get it at www.ginakdesigns.com


sorry (had to!)


Love ya gina! Love that card, Jan!
__________________
Carolyn King
My Gallery
My Blog
Cammie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 AM   #44
Pearl-ExPert
 
denidill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,183
Default

You girls are all so fantastic! I love it when we can have a talk about a topic and no one is throwing rubber. I know we all believe everyone has the right to their opinion.

Yes, I will watch for those blogs that overdo it and take them out from my blog list. I do like links because sometimes, when I love the card, I want to know how I can reproduce it. So links are great. I am supposing that writing a blog and promoting the stamps is going to be done very differently between bloggers. Some will be quiet promoters, others will be loud. I will have to filter through these. But just to say, many of you who posted and have a blog....I READ and enjoy. Cammie, you are too funny. Robyn, are you saying I always start something on SCS? Hee hee. Just kidding. Stuebner, I knew you were a skimmer of blogs. You told me that before. Straight to the card! I usually read what you say on your blog, so you'd better keep it interesting! LOL!
__________________
Denise

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
denidill is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #45
Mad Swapper
 
lgulotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North woods of Wisconsin
Posts: 1,756
Default

When you read too many "I am in love with..."s you begin to wonder how sincere, or maybe not sincere, maybe a different word like non-fickle, that person is. How many things can one be "totally in love" with? One stamp this month, another the next, and so on. I find it kind of funny, and know it's just a very enthusiastic type person speaking, so don't let it bother me and usually just skip over the words in those blogs. The creations are usually quite breath-taking and worthwhile!
__________________
Lauri G.
Blessed wife and mom
TAC demo #2239
lgulotta is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:14 AM   #46
Gabfest Goddess
 
Gina K. Designs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,496
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Just thinking it's going to look a bit weird after I posted to this thread that I posted a card using Gina's stamps on my blog today. But, hey, that's what I was stamping with last night!
Jan, I have been reading your blog forever. I have never seen you post any links in an untasteful way. I think when the words are highlighted like that, it's easy to read and you can just pass over any link you don't want to click on.

I totally agree with the idea that nobody wants 50 million emails asking where to get everything and most designers use links as a courtesy. You know the minute you don't say where you got something, that's just when everyone wants to know.

Check out the slick way Jan links things. You don't really have to click if you're not interested. There is nothing that interrupts the great flow of the way she writes. And if you're only there to learn, enjoy her beautiful samples and not purchase anything, you don't feel bombarded with a sales pitch.

(Super adorable card BTW Miss Jan Rockstar stamper!!)

Hugs,
Gina K.
__________________
My Blog and StampTV

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Gina K. Designs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #47
Gabfest Goddess
 
robynstamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Playing with paper dolls & lovin' it!
Posts: 7,022
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
My advice to anyone who is thinking about being a designer- choose a couple of companies that you really believe in and show others what they can do with those products. You don't have to be on 20 design teams to be "hot in the industry." What's hot to a stamp company is a designer's dedication to producing the best quality samples they can. If you are under the gun to produce 6 cards for 8 different companies every month, you barely have enough time to post them all and things start to overlap and it becomes a mess.

Gina K.
This is the main reason that I decided not to pursue design teams lately. I know me and I probably would not stop with 1 or 2 if I was chosen. I would want to be on as many as possible. I would never have time to be a mom, a wife, or enjoy my hobby if I was having to deal with so many deadlines every month. I'm not saying it can't be done but I am saying that I wouldn't be able to do it.
__________________
Robyn - Mother of 5
My Blog-The Pink Stamper

My Gallery
robynstamps is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #48
Gabfest Goddess
 
robynstamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Playing with paper dolls & lovin' it!
Posts: 7,022
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Robyn, are you saying I always start something on SCS? Hee hee. Just kidding. LOL!
Pretty much. Okay, only if it has to do with blogging. But can I just say that I love it!! You are great!
__________________
Robyn - Mother of 5
My Blog-The Pink Stamper

My Gallery
robynstamps is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 AM   #49
Stazon Splitcoast
 
steubner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Midlothian, TX
Posts: 15,987
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Stuebner, I knew you were a skimmer of blogs. You told me that before. Straight to the card! I usually read what you say on your blog, so you'd better keep it interesting! LOL!
LOL I'll try... Cammie's doing a great job telling stories tho. Love it!
__________________
Shannan
My Gallery
My Blog-Come Visit me!
steubner is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #50
Gabfest Goddess
 
Gina K. Designs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,496
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
LOL I'll try... Cammie's doing a great job telling stories tho. Love it!
I still can't believe you don't read my stuff... LOL!~
__________________
My Blog and StampTV

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Gina K. Designs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 AM   #51
Die Cut Diva
 
scrapstampindiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,550
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
I have to agree with those who posted about having to include links to preclude getting tons of request for info. It really is that way...if I don't put them in, I do get lots of requests...putting in the links saves me time.

I am on a number of design teams right now and do promote the stamps on my blog, but I try to keep the "gushing" to a bare minimum. My experience has been that if your projects are cute enough, you don't have to say "run right out and buy this set right now!!!" I do see a lot of that on blogs, but it probably doesn't bother me as much as it does others, because, like Shannan, I don't always read everything on the blog unless I feel like it...some bloggers write better than others.

My basic approach is to produce great projects, put plenty of links in so people can click on them if they really want the info, then try to write something that you will enjoy reading, not just a sales pitch. But as a design team member, in exchange for my free rubbah, I do have to at least try to interest you in the stamps...it's part of my agreement with the companies I work for. When it comes down to it, though, I can't MAKE anyone buy rubber stamps from anywhere...that's still the reader's decision, not mine.
well said Jan!!! you said exactly what I think a lot of us on design teams would say.
__________________
Kendra Hernandez
Instagram: kendrahernandez331
My Blog: Inkin' It Up With Kendra!
scrapstampindiva is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #52
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
Cammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 29,023
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
LOL I'll try... Cammie's doing a great job telling stories tho. Love it!
awww..thanks girl! YOU MEAN YOU READ it????
wowzers.

I really wish my life wasnt such a three ring circus but I am trying to make ya'll suffer with me
__________________
Carolyn King
My Gallery
My Blog
Cammie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #53
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
Cammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 29,023
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
I still can't believe you don't read my stuff... LOL!~
I cannot believe you dont read my stuff...check your email haha!
__________________
Carolyn King
My Gallery
My Blog
Cammie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #54
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
mytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hangin on SCS with my "pretend" stamping friends
Posts: 7,853
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuttersCallousView Post
While this may be true to some extent, a lot of us (including myself) like to leave links so that you may find certain items...just in case you like what you see. I sure hope I'm not coming off as a big pusher. Thanks for your reminder.

I agree. Let me say when I DONT leave a link I get 50 emails asking for one.
I try not to ever be promotional, but let me tell ya, if I'm truly excited about it, then yes I do think YOU ALL have to have it

I can also honestly say that I am not asked to do anything "promotional" on my blog. Just make X number of samples.
I usually make WAY more because I find I get so involved in the set, and am in all honesty just having fun with it.
__________________
Lauren
MY BLOG - MY -TIME
Come visit my store! My Time Made Easy © LLC
mytime is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #55
Gallery Gazer
 
BasketMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 6,537
Default

I read about a dozen or so blogs daily and I LIKE it when they tell me where to get stuff. And a blog is suppose to be about a person's likes, passions, and creativity. Just because she says you can't live without something doesn't mean you REALLY can't live without it - just show a little will power.

I guess what it amounts to is if you think someone's being overly pushy with products, then quit reading their blog.
__________________
~Karen
BasketMom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #56
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni
 
Jeanne S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Poofville
Posts: 53,512
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
You weren't supposed to READ THAT!!!

By the way, you were one of my very first blog subscriptions. Does that make it better? Back when I had time to read. lol
Not if you're just looking at the pictures....... geez Shannan
__________________
Jeanne S - Inky Paws
SCS Moderator
Jeanne S is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #57
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
SweetMissDaisy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On the Farm.
Posts: 10,756
Default

Lots have things that have already been said here are things I agree with. I specifically agree with Colleen and Lauren (and probably others) who said that the things they share information about are things they truly enjoy. I am excited about what I do; however, I am not a gushy-mushy person so hopefully I never come across as that way. If I say I "love" something, wow... you can bet I really do! Everything that is written or shared on my blog is done so because I truly want to share it. Sometimes I have lots of things to say, and other times I am a girl of few words.

None of the companies I design for "require" me to post to my blog. My blog is my personal space, and I won't let anyone tell me what to post, when. And I don't think the relationship I have with the companies would change if I stopped blogging (not that I plan to). I know I love doing what I do, and having their fun stuff to play with is just the icing on the cake. And it gives me something to "write home" about, since that's really why I blog - to share my life with friends and family.
__________________
Anna Wight
My Blog: Sassy & Sweet Notes
FaceBook: Illustration & Design
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
SweetMissDaisy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #58
Kookie Creator
 
ShortWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 471
Post

I am so addicted to blogs that I barely get any of my own stuff done anymore. But I have to agree with the OP that some people push the products too hard and I either delete those from my Google Reader or just look at the photos and move on. What I also find mildly annoying is how many people latch on to the same stamp, or set of stamps, and it's on everyone's blog. I appreciate they are probably showing off the latest release from the co. they represent but I get tired of seeing the same stamps done to death! I have a blog and am not on any design team, or an SU demo, and I have to make myself remember to post what stamps I used, etc., just in case anyone wonders because I do like to see that info on other's blogs so if I WANT TO BUY something I have seen there I can find it. I'm not always too good at remembering to do that yet, though. And that's all I have to say about that.
__________________
~Jackie

Just Stamp It!Addicted to Pens and Paper
ShortWizard is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Joan B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 15,807
Default

Another thought -- sometimes it is the way information is presented.

There is one blog I'm thinking of where the blogger is on a lot of design teams. Approximately 95% of her posts uses at least one product that is sold by a company that has hired her to be on a design team.

Her blog is delightful to read. Each post contains all the info necessary to purchase the products but is done in such a way that I feel invited in to sit and have tea and listen to her explanations.

She just has a way of "selling" (and it is selling, make no excuses about it, there is nothing wrong with selling!!) the products that is first rate. I don't feel pushed or annoyed in the slightest. It's the first blog I look for every day.

Ok, it's mine (NOOOOOoooooo -- I'm not on a design team!!).

Seriously, it's the style and manner that makes a difference..
__________________
Dear Paperlicious is my blog...with a series on how I'm learning to improve my cardmaking by studying others.
Joan B is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #60
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Just north of Seattle
Posts: 3,808
Default

Since I read a lot of blogs I thought I would jump in.....

I too notice on some blogs the over-excitement of a new product almost every other day. I tend to not go back to those blogs after a while because yes, it can seem insincere or annoying.

But then there are other blogs where you can tell that they are TRULY excited about what they are working with, they just want to SHOUT it over the internet and tell everybody! I like reading blogs with so much enthusiasm, and excitement......it's honest.

For blogs that seem annoying then I would remove them from your list or just scan quickly at the picture.

It all comes down to writing too, some people just cant write without it sounding like a commercial even if they dont want it to come off that way. Since the enormous explosion of blogs recently it makes it tough for some. We all arent going to go back to school to learn to write for our blogs! Well, if someone paid me I would!

View some blogs are only eye candy and others as where you enjoy to read AND look at pretty pictures.

I would also reccomend Cammies blog.....loving it everyday!
ebethneu is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #61
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
Cammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 29,023
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
Since I read a lot of blogs I thought I would jump in.....

I too notice on some blogs the over-excitement of a new product almost every other day. I tend to not go back to those blogs after a while because yes, it can seem insincere or annoying.

But then there are other blogs where you can tell that they are TRULY excited about what they are working with, they just want to SHOUT it over the internet and tell everybody! I like reading blogs with so much enthusiasm, and excitement......it's honest.

For blogs that seem annoying then I would remove them from your list or just scan quickly at the picture.

It all comes down to writing too, some people just cant write without it sounding like a commercial even if they dont want it to come off that way. Since the enormous explosion of blogs recently it makes it tough for some. We all arent going to go back to school to learn to write for our blogs! Well, if someone paid me I would!

View some blogs are only eye candy and others as where you enjoy to read AND look at pretty pictures.

I would also reccomend Cammies blog.....loving it everyday!

holy macaronis---I am showing this to my husband---he thinks I am visiting my blog over 2 hundred times a day to get the counter so high!!! lol!

Thanks! I had a rejection-filled week and this just made me smile!!!
__________________
Carolyn King
My Gallery
My Blog
Cammie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #62
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Just north of Seattle
Posts: 3,808
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
holy macaronis---I am showing this to my husband---he thinks I am visiting my blog over 2 hundred times a day to get the counter so high!!! lol!

Thanks! I had a rejection-filled week and this just made me smile!!!
Does he think you make all the comments too? LOL!!!
ebethneu is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #63
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
BC Sherrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: I live in Beautiful BC Canada.
Posts: 2,785
Default

I know I am a little late jumping in on this too....I do the link thing as well, if I don't (like Lauren said) I get a ton of e-mails asking about it. It makes it easier this way. I starting blogging because I just wanted to chat, and have a place to gush over my own work....lol! I definitely don't "promote" items that I am not excited about myself.
As others have said, it is hard not to be excited about a new discovery or something you just LOVE.
I am a blurfer too, and like Shannon, tend to be very visual and skip the fine print. I fully expect the same with my blog...(smiles)

Very neat discussion Denise, I love to read everyone's input. I think the most important thing I like to remember is I blog for me....as long as I stay true to that I'm ok with the vast opinions out there.
__________________
~Sherrie~
My Gallery | My Blog
| Melissa Frances DT | Copic DT Member
BC Sherrie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #64
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick
 
JBgreendawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So. Oregon
Posts: 108,755
Default

from my own point of view, i actually like to click on links...
every now and again i provide them on my blog. ( usually links back to other bloggers who have gifted me with happy mail) but, I will click on links to things i have not looked at before. the promotional pitch doesn't really faze me, I just look at it as part of their unpaid job description...
__________________
~Stacy

My Blog
JBgreendawn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #65
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
zipperc98's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 5,191
Default

Its funny, I didnt know there were so many crafting bloggers out there until I came to this site and realized how many actually do. It is a great outlet for people, and they can explain how they have created, etc. I understand what you are saying re: advertising. I think I am more so simply overwhelmed when someone says "Go to my blog to read about it"....that annoys me more than the advertising does, I think. Ok, annoy is the wrong word. Its more simply a feeling of overwhelm, knowing I will have to scan through to find what I am looking for.

Blogs over all are crazy. I love it, I just dont have enough time in the day too look through everything!
zipperc98 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #66
Gabfest Goddess
 
robynstamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Playing with paper dolls & lovin' it!
Posts: 7,022
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Ok, it's mine (NOOOOOoooooo -- I'm not on a design team!!).
Well, I visit your blog every day and I don't care if you are on a DT. You certainly have made me purchase more stuff. Oh, and you make me laugh, too!
__________________
Robyn - Mother of 5
My Blog-The Pink Stamper

My Gallery
robynstamps is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #67
Gabfest Goddess
 
Gina K. Designs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,496
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
Well, I visit your blog every day and I don't care if you are on a DT. You certainly have made me purchase more stuff. Oh, and you make me laugh, too!
She is on a design team. She's in temporary denial.
__________________
My Blog and StampTV

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Gina K. Designs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #68
Mad Swapper
 
corinnesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 1,585
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
Interesting thread! I myself have never been put off by people including the information on where to get products (I do this on my blog and I do it with a lot of the products I use) mostly because it saves people from having to contact me to ask where to find these things.

If this irritates you, I do apologize but I know it helps a lot of people in finding stores (etc) that carry what has been used in the samples.

Information is just there--take it or leave it. But I can understand if you feel that the information is thrown in your face. I haven't experienced that feeling but perhaps it is just the best thing for you to not visit those particular blogs or just try to ignore it.

(Unless, of course, you are talking about my blog!!! haha!)

Yup...I agree. I really appreciate when people leave the highlighted names of the ingredients so I just have to click...not even look on the sidebar (a little lazy...yup. I haven't seen any blogs that are so pushy yet, but I think I always have to shop wisely.... With how addicting this website is, have to be sure I REALLY NEED it and am not just getting swept away...
corinnesmith is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #69
Mad Swapper
 
corinnesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brookfield, WI
Posts: 1,585
Default

[QUOTE=denidill;7851550]You girls are all so fantastic! I love it when we can have a talk about a topic and no one is throwing rubber. I know we all believe everyone has the right to their opinion.


MUAH
corinnesmith is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #70
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
BadSherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Jeffersonville, IN
Posts: 28,395
Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
I cannot believe you dont read my stuff...check your email haha!
Ditto that one!
__________________
Sherry - Her Royal Badness
Blog - Walkin' on the BAD Side!
BadSherry is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #71
Die Cut Diva
 
troopersma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,682
Default

Well, apparently, the way to draw interest and get a zillion emails is to NOT post links...so people then email you for details...hmmm...maybe I need to try THAT approach! LOL!

I do include links on my blog but only for particular products that I'm using and I make the clickable link part of the actual sentence...so it doesn't interrupt the flow of the wording. For example I might say something like, "I just love my new Gina K crab stamp that I used for this card." And then I highlight the Gina K part of the sentence and make that the clickable link. I do it for informational purposes only.

I do wish more people left comments (I get lots of visits but few comments...but at least the people who do leave me comments are pretty consistent and I love them for it). So I was only half joking about leaving out the details and making people email me! If that really works for you folks maybe I'll have to try it!

Jane
troopersma is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #72
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
prchvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,055
Default

I have to say that I also dislike a huge promotional push. BUT, I am SU biased, so that makes a difference in my opinion on blogs! I look at the pics mostly to see what people are making, but I have removed some blogs from Google Reader, because I am just sick of reading about certain companies ... not that I dislike the company, just the excessive promotional material, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
I have to agree with those who posted about having to include links to preclude getting tons of request for info. It really is that way...if I don't put them in, I do get lots of requests...putting in the links saves me time.

I am on a number of design teams right now and do promote the stamps on my blog, but I try to keep the "gushing" to a bare minimum. My experience has been that if your projects are cute enough, you don't have to say "run right out and buy this set right now!!!" I do see a lot of that on blogs, but it probably doesn't bother me as much as it does others, because, like Shannan, I don't always read everything on the blog unless I feel like it...some bloggers write better than others.

My basic approach is to produce great projects, put plenty of links in so people can click on them if they really want the info, then try to write something that you will enjoy reading, not just a sales pitch. But as a design team member, in exchange for my free rubbah, I do have to at least try to interest you in the stamps...it's part of my agreement with the companies I work for. When it comes down to it, though, I can't MAKE anyone buy rubber stamps from anywhere...that's still the reader's decision, not mine.
Jan, your blog is so entertaining to read! I don't find yours to be "hugely promotional", like an informercial. Yours is more about the things you like and are playing with interspersed with bits of your incredible personality. The artwork and that kind of promotion are what get people into looking and buying different product, at least for me.

now, I have to go check out my own blog to see if it's annoying to me ...
__________________
renée
prchvs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:24 AM   #73
Gabfest Goddess
 
Gina K. Designs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,496
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadSherryView Post
Ditto that one!
Okay, I checked both emails, PM's and the design team forum and I don't see any emails from either of you. LOL!
__________________
My Blog and StampTV

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Gina K. Designs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:26 AM   #74
Gabfest Goddess
 
Gina K. Designs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,496
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
I have to say that I also dislike a huge promotional push. BUT, I am SU biased, so that makes a difference in my opinion on blogs! I look at the pics mostly to see what people are making, but I have removed some blogs from Google Reader, because I am just sick of reading about certain companies ... not that I dislike the company, just the excessive promotional material, IMO.



Jan, your blog is so entertaining to read! I don't find yours to be "hugely promotional", like an informercial. Yours is more about the things you like and are playing with interspersed with bits of your incredible personality. The artwork and that kind of promotion are what get people into looking and buying different product, at least for me.

now, I have to go check out my own blog to see if it's annoying to me ...
BWAHHHH! That's too cute!
__________________
My Blog and StampTV

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Gina K. Designs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 AM   #75
Mad Swapper
 
Chipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In a happy place.
Posts: 1,974
Default

I admit it, I look at the pictures and really don't do much reading. And...now that I've thought about it for ...uh 1/2 a second...my last blog entry has no pictures!

The advertising really doesn't bother me. To me personally, it's all small stuff and I just don't let small stuff bother me. Until this thread, I guess I've never thought about it. Trying to be understanding, I guess if I read blogs all day, it would get old.
__________________
Chipper

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Chipper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:14 AM   #76
Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
Cammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 29,023
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Okay, I checked both emails, PM's and the design team forum and I don't see any emails from either of you. LOL!
check again
__________________
Carolyn King
My Gallery
My Blog
Cammie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:34 AM   #77
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Erin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Costco
Posts: 22,181
Default

I assume that the gushy people just ARE gushy. I fully expect to meet you all someday and you be exactly like you are on your blogs. Amy R I expect to say, "Hi Erin, did you SEE the awesome sale at blah blah blah?!?" then we jump in the car and go there. (I'm picking on Amy, because she's cute and famous, it could be anyone) My point is that I see it as an expression of that blogger's personality. Which I LOVE. I could see just as many cute cards in the gallery (and do of course) but on your blogs I can see YOU and your cards.



ps, I'm on a design team, but am not oversaturated and would have time for Gina. *hint, hint, wink, wink*
__________________
My Blog My Gallery All dog's feet smell like Fritos. I know you don't believe me, go check... See, I told you so.

Last edited by Erin K; 11-30-2007 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: I put cars for cards and if we all made cars we'd all be rich, but we don't.
Erin K is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #78
Kookie Creator
 
bcgal00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: British Columbia Canada
Posts: 356
Default

Well said, Gina.

I'm not bothered at all by promotion of products. I can just skip right by it if I want to but sometimes I want to see where that product came from and how much it is, etc.

I think its like anything else, some don't mind...some do...so if you do mind, just skip past the advertising and just appreciate the great artwork provided.

No harm done, not a big deal in the scheme of things, right?
__________________
Rae
http://www.scrapdribbles.typepad.com
bcgal00 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #79
Pearl-ExPert
 
Colleen Schaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta Baby!!!
Posts: 2,291
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I assume that the gushy people just ARE gushy. I fully expect to meet you all someday and you be exactly like you are on your blogs. Amy R I expect to say, "Hi Erin, did you SEE the awesome sale at blah blah blah?!?" then we jump in the car and go there. (I'm picking on Amy, because she's cute and famous, it could be anyone) My point is that I see it as an expression of that blogger's personality. Which I LOVE. I could see just as many cute cards in the gallery (and do of course) but on your blogs I can see YOU and your cards.



ps, I'm on a design team, but am not oversaturated and would have time for Gina. *hint, hint, wink, wink*

Erin...now YOU are one that I KNOW would be a stitch to meet...as you would be just as funny IRL as you are on your blog. I ditto exactly what you say...a bubbly gushy personality is just going to come through...some like it and some don't.

Gee...I tend to gush...and bubble...I hope I don't annoy???!
__________________
Colleen Schaan - Education Specialist at Imagination International Inc.,/Copic Marker
Blog
- Distinctive Touches; My Copic Books!

Colleen Schaan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #80
Stazon Splitcoast
 
steubner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Midlothian, TX
Posts: 15,987
Default

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colleen SchaanView Post
Erin...now YOU are one that I KNOW would be a stitch to meet...as you would be just as funny IRL as you are on your blog. I ditto exactly what you say...a bubbly gushy personality is just going to come through...some like it and some don't.

Gee...I tend to gush...and bubble...I hope I don't annoy???!
You??? No way girl! You're awesome!!
__________________
Shannan
My Gallery
My Blog-Come Visit me!
steubner is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off