Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Glitter Guru

Default Bleaching technique question

I recently saw a card using the emboss and then bleach technique and want to try it. There's even a tutorial on this site.

My question is - doesn't the paper smell like bleach? How long does it take for the bleach smell to go away? And does it weaken the card stock? I would be using colored pencils in the bleached areas and wonder if that would put too much pressure on the paper.

Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi Rachel

I've found that the bleach smell doesn't last very long when I've used in in paper projects, I guess because you're not using very much of it.

All papers will react differently. I've never had a problem with the paper surface after using bleach but it's worth trying on a scrap first to be sure of how the paper you plan to use will react. Some papers don't bleach to the colour you might expect!

One tip: if you're using the thick type bleach and a regular brush, be careful that the bleach doesn't "string" off the bristles and dribble over your project (ask me how I know!). I usually rotate the brush after dipping it in bleach to be sure there are no stray globs.

Have fun!

My blog
Old 09-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

Rachel,

I have never had any lingering bleach smell--it's gone by the time I finish putting it on. PLEASE follow Angelnorth's advice about trying it first on a scrap. Not only do you end up with colors that you might not expect after using the bleach, but I have also found that the bleach hardly works at all on some cardstock!

As for using colored pencils after you have bleached: I have no experience with that, but I have used markers and Pearl X-press (Perfect Pearls with the stuff that makes it stick already mixed in) and both have worked fine. Just use a light hand when you are bleaching and give it a few seconds to work. A little goes a long way.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Glitter Guru

I won't be using the gel bleach, just plain old Chlorox. I saw this done using an outline bouquet stamp on dark blue and I just fell in love with it.

Yes, very good to remind me to test on a scrap. I know from doing bleach techniques on fabrics that you are sometimes surprised what color emerges.

I'm thinking I won't use a brush to apply the bleach. I'm thinking my blender pen? Anything in that that might react to bleach and gas me into a coma?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

I just pour a little of the bleach into the bottle cap and use a q-tip. I throw the q-tip away when I am done.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Glitter Guru

Yeah, that thought occurred to me, Q-tips. Good idea.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Matboard Maniac

I agree with all others who posted. The bleach smell doesn't linger at all. We actually did this technique at my recent Stamp Club and it was a little stinky while we had the lid off my jar of bleach, but a few minutes later the air had cleared. We used the watercolour pencils for our colouring, so if you want to check out the project you can see it my blog post here: nice people STAMP!: August Stamp Club Projects

Have fun!!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Glitter Guru

Oh, I love how that looks! Beautiful! That's exactly what I want to do. Very inspiring!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Matboard Maniac

Thanks! Have fun! It's a beautiful technique!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Polyshrink Goddess

For anyone doing the bleach technique, just know that bleach can get old and not work! The first time I learned about it, I wondered what I was going wrong that it didn't work like my upline had showed me. Finally I figured out that my bleach was very old (who would have thought!) and when I got new bleach the technique worked great!

My Blog
Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFontin View Post
For anyone doing the bleach technique, just know that bleach can get old and not work! The first time I learned about it, I wondered what I was going wrong that it didn't work like my upline had showed me. Finally I figured out that my bleach was very old (who would have thought!) and when I got new bleach the technique worked great!
Thanks for sharing....I've never had very dramatic results, but I'm bettin' my bleach is several years old....hardly ever use the stuff anymore.