Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #41
Die Cut Diva

Thanks it'll give me me something to work from...now I have to go shopping
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #42
Glitter Guru

Love this discussion. I have been using palette noir black for my very detailed House Mouse stamps, but I am having problems with little *clumps* of black sometimes, GRR..is there a better black that won't give me the little clumps? (like when the top of the pad is peeling or something. I hate having to stamp 5 copies of something to get one decent picture I can color with prismacolors and OMS. Thanks from anyone that has a preference for those detail stamps. I would guess they are like the Thomas Kincaid stamps too.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:26 AM   #43
Glitter Guru

Yeah, I get clumps with the palette ink too, although it never ever runs. Maybe the versafine would do the trick. Gotta get me some of that.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Old 02-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #44
Kookie Creator

OK, this is what we have so far:
Brilliance Graphite Black (for Copics)
Versafine Onyx Black (for Watercoloring & Normal black stuff)
Palette Hybrid Noir (for Prismacolor Pencils & Odorless Mineral Spirits)
Stazon Black (for everything else!)
Memories Black ink
Ranger archival Jet Black (Prismas and Gamsol)

Now lets add what type of stamps to use with these different inks. EG Clear or Rubber
Brilliance Graphite Black (Clear, rubber, detailed)
Versafine Onyx Black (clear, rubber, detailed)
Palette Hybrid Noir (clear, rubber, detailed)
Stazon Black (rubber, detailed)
Memories Black ink (clear, rubber)
Ranger archival Jet Black (clear, rubber, detailed)
SU pigment (rubber, clear * can stain, detailed)
SU craft (rubber, clear * not good for detailed stamps)
Hybrid (clear, rubber, )

Now lets add what type of paper to use with these different inks: (like textured, watercolour, coated like WW, velum, gloss, glimmer.)
Brilliance Graphite Black (coated)
Versafine Onyx Black (coated)
Palette Hybrid Noir (coated)
Stazon Black (coated, velum, gloss, glimmer)
Memories Black ink (??)
Ranger archival Jet Black (???)
SU pigment (??)
SU craft (??)
Hybrid (?? )
Old 02-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #45
Rubber Obsessor

I am curious as to the opinion of SU Basic Black Classic vs. Craft. Sometimes I feel that the classic pad doesn't ink my stamp as thoroughly, and I was wondering if the craft ink would be better. And if it also has that purplish hue?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought Ranger Adarondack (sp??) pitch black this past weekend. I really don't like it at all. It made me sad. I thought it was gonna be great.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #47
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by eszaboView Post
I am curious as to the opinion of SU Basic Black Classic vs. Craft. Sometimes I feel that the classic pad doesn't ink my stamp as thoroughly, and I was wondering if the craft ink would be better. And if it also has that purplish hue?
The black craft pad does not have a purple tint to it at all. I prefer using the craft ink when I want a really solid, opaque black. It does take a little time to dry, but you can speed it up with a heat tool.

The classic ink is really only purplish looking if it runs...most of the time it looks nice and black.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 02-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

I personally find that Versafine and SU Whisper White don't mix - WW is too slick of a paper for the ink. I use Georgia Pacific White and watercolor paper.

I also seriously DON'T recommend using SU Basic Black on clear stamps - it turned one of my MFT stamps BLUE.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #49
Matboard Maniac

The other option, which I do a lot is to just use a black pigment ink pad ( I use the small Versacolour cubes) and ink then emboss with clear embossing powder. Gives an awesome, clear finish and you can use any kind of colouring technique without it running.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #50
Hardware Hotshot

My absolute fave deep black that is waterproof is Ancient Page Coal Black

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #51
Mad Swapper

I was going to buy the Versafine Black this weekend. I started reading the back of the package and it said it is an oil based ink. This threw me for a loop. I put the ink back because I was not sure I was buyig the right thing. If it is an oil based ink does it stain the rubber or have a weird oily smell? Is it OK to use with acrylic stamps?

My Gallery
Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
I was going to buy the Versafine Black this weekend. I started reading the back of the package and it said it is an oil based ink. This threw me for a loop. I put the ink back because I was not sure I was buyig the right thing. If it is an oil based ink does it stain the rubber or have a weird oily smell? Is it OK to use with acrylic stamps?
I use Versafine on my acrylic and rubber stamps with no problem. There's sometimes a little grey residue from the ink, but that tends to come off if you clean it really well on a clean scrub.

It doesn't smell either.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #53
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't see my FAVORITE black ink pad, so I NEED to tell you about it! Ancient Page Coal Black. It's very black black, doesn't smear with watercoloring (don't use copics, so can't tell you about that), AND it cleans off far more easily than SU black or StazOn! Ancient Page is made by ClearSnap (same people as put out the Colorbox line) and it's acid-free, archival and waterproof. The surface of the pad is a little big different, but not hard to get used to. The full, retail price of Ancient Page pads is $4.50, so it doesn't cost much!

About the Versafine - it says on the back of the pad that it's supposed to last 5x longer than other inkpads, so I don't think they even HAVE reinkers for the Versafine line!!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #54
Matboard Maniac

I like the Palette Noir best - it gives a nice crisp image on almost every surface - if permanent on most surfaces - including transparencies.

The best thing about it though is it does not stain your stamps and cleans off so easily especially compared to alot of the others mentioned that stain you stamps so badly you never really get it all off no matter what cleaner you use.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #55
Stampin' Fool

I use VersaFine Onyx Black and VF Sepia on Georgia Pacific CS. They don't run or bleed when I do Gamsol Magic. I wind up letting the images sit for a while til I can get back to color. They wash off both rubber and clear stamps really well. I don't think there is a re-inker because of the *lasting 5X longer than regular ink pads*. I stamped my whole stamp index binder w/ the Onyx black (thats a lot of images) and it still inks up like a new pad. In January, I stamped my new Thomas Kincaid and colored w/ Gamsol Magic and it did beautifully! So this stuff does last a looong time! Its cheap too - both colors are at Michael's and use the 40% coupon... great deal!! The images are black and very crisp. No odor! VersaFine is an oil-based pigment ink.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #56
Hardware Hotshot

I have adirondack, Brilliance Graphite, Stazon and Versafine....I like choice
Old 02-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #57
Die Cut Diva

Okay I bought the Versafine Onyx Black and played last night SO I used my SU watercolor crayons with the blending pen on 110lb watercolor paper... and I have to admit that it worked better than I expected...There was mild smearing but I'm not sure if it was the ink or if it was the blending pen...I don't have aquapainters yet and I will try the small brush that I do have and see if that makes a diffference.

I also bought Brilliance Graphite Black and will be comparing the two just too see which I would use more for at least watering coloring...at least at this point I'm glad I found this thread it has helped me with an ailing decision with which one I should use and for what. Thanks ladies
Old 02-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #58
Polyshrink Goddess

omg, subscribing to this. My local Mikes and ACMoore don't carry any good black inks. Only pigment and that takes so long to dry if iI'm not heat-setting. I don't use watercolrs and really don't want waterproof. Just something for regular ol' stamping and coloring with prismacolor pencils. I had to buy a new one recently and all they had in dye ink was some cheap black. I had to buy it. I'm really going to have to make a field trip to find another.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #59
Die Cut Diva

That's where I got my inks...at Mike's. I've been really busy and will be testing out the Brilliance with a few different mediums later tonight

Actually I did stamp with the versafine and it came out nice a crisp...I would definitely use that one for all my black stamping needs. Even the sentiments came out really nice...and works really well on Bazzill Was really happy about that.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #60
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2busyscrappinView Post
Actually I did stamp with the versafine and it came out nice a crisp...I would definitely use that one for all my black stamping needs. Even the sentiments came out really nice...and works really well on Bazzill Was really happy about that.
Did you find you needed to press hard on the stamp to get good coverage because of the textures?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #61
Die Cut Diva

Actually Yes I did apply a little more pressure but I think it was unintentional because I knew it was textured and I've had to do it before with other inks. But still the impression came out so much nicer than the Brilliance on textured. I have to say I am completely sold with the versafine. I even tried to use the blender pens with the Brilliance and the black bled through the color...where as the versafine didn't smear or bleed through the color at all. I am doing all of my experimenting on 110lb watercolor paper and not sure if this has anything to do with it but I prefer the Brilliance with chalks and coloring pencils and just plain stamping without coloring because it does give off a nice dark image. Versafine does clean off easier too find...my rubber wasn't stained until I used the Brilliance...