Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #41
Pearl-ExPert

Cardmaker2 mentioned about sending to Canada and I would suggest posting worldwide. SU sets are about twice as much in Australia and the postage isn't really much more from the US as it is domestically.
I don't know the companies or what but there was times (when I wasn't a demonstrator) I would buy bulk lots from the US and resell them on and make a decent profit. Those days might have gone but it is still possible to do.
I know it's more of a hassle to sell internationally but it does seem that people will pay more overseas.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
cardmaker2 and Cook22 like this post.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #42
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcharm View Post
Cardmaker2 mentioned about sending to Canada and I would suggest posting worldwide. SU sets are about twice as much in Australia and the postage isn't really much more from the US as it is domestically.
I don't know the companies or what but there was times (when I wasn't a demonstrator) I would buy bulk lots from the US and resell them on and make a decent profit. Those days might have gone but it is still possible to do.
I know it's more of a hassle to sell internationally but it does seem that people will pay more overseas.
I have sold to Canada only once. People receiving package from out of the their Country need to understand how long these package take to be delivered.

I sent a priority package to Canada. But once the package enters Canada,
U. S. Priority tracking stops. Package has to go through Canada Customs. In my experience this can take up to four weeks plus from the date of mailing.

After two weeks the buyers started to claim package lost. I checked with my post office. They would not claim package lost for I think 6 weeks.

For another 2 week she continued to get more upset and started to demand her money back. Which would put me out a stamp set and the high postage I paid above charging her. As I found out that paying Priority cost Does NOT insure faster delivery after package enters Canada.

When she received the package, 4 weeks later, I asked what the post date was for entering Canada. It was two days after I mailed it. It took 4 weeks for the buyer to receive it.

After this one experience, I am sorry to say, I would not send a package to Canada again. ONLY if I personally knew the person and we both understood the delay issue.

The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Janet1000 likes this post.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #43
Polyshrink Goddess

May I jump in here. First, there is possibly another option on eBay. I have seen things sell as 'LOT' usually containing an assortment of items.
As for donations-I have wondered where to donate. I love the hospitals and nursing homes. The senior centers locally might be good, however I donated some lace and crochet thread once and it wound up in the little store they have.
Lots of good ideas from you ladies, I will have to try some. Thanks
Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #44
Kookie Creator

I'm in the process of getting rid of 75% of my paper crafting supplies.

I've made 3 trips to Goodwill this year already and by next week, I'll be ready to go again.

I have given a fair amount of dies and stamps to a newer stamper. A local senior center got several boxes of scrapbooking supplies. A first year kindergarten teacher has gotten 3 boxes full of card stock and I have 3 more with buttons, punches and patterned paper packed and ready to do. A small photo printer went to a friend. Some Tim Holtz stuff went to another friend.

While I could probably make some money selling some of this, the time and effort to do so seems overwhelming. I'd rather give it away.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #45
Kookie Creator

Heart Donating

A gal after my own heart - I have done the same over the last year. The current goodies are going to the Girl Scouts Council supply shop.

No, I don't fuss with taking a tax donation -- just glad to enable young stampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat in Ohio View Post
I'm in the process of getting rid of 75% of my paper crafting supplies.

I've made 3 trips to Goodwill this year already and by next week, I'll be ready to go again.

I have given a fair amount of dies and stamps to a newer stamper. A local senior center got several boxes of scrapbooking supplies. A first year kindergarten teacher has gotten 3 boxes full of card stock and I have 3 more with buttons, punches and patterned paper packed and ready to do. A small photo printer went to a friend. Some Tim Holtz stuff went to another friend.

While I could probably make some money selling some of this, the time and effort to do so seems overwhelming. I'd rather give it away.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper28 View Post
The senior centers locally might be good, however I donated some lace and crochet thread once and it wound up in the little store they have.
Is that a problem, if revenue from the little store is funnelled back in to the senior center?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #47
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Another idea....one of the Scrapbooking Stores in my area has 2 garage sales a year. You go there and get a ticket to price your items for what you want to sell them for. This money goes on a credit account that you can use for shopping in their store. I think it is a great idea and you don't have to be there for the whole day to sell your stuff.
Maybe one of the stores in your area offers something like that?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #48
Stampin' Fool

I frequently look over the ISO forum here. If someone is looking for one of the sets I want gone, I give it to them. Free. No charge for shipping. It lessens my anxiety about having so many unwanted sets and that's worth it's weight in gold for me!! Besides, I got the use I wanted out of the set so I just let it go.

Regarding Ebay, I have found that if you list the sets near a holiday/time of year...say flowers sets for Easter and/or Spring, they sell quicker.
Arlene_C, StamperDea, Janet1000 and 1 others like this post.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #49
Hardware Hotshot

I am on a fixed income so I am as tight with money as anyone . I don't like to waste money , but I think too many people get hung up on the money they " spent " on something and therefore struggle with donating it.

Card making or scrapbooking is a form of recreation. We all spend money on recreation such as vacations, movies and so forth and we can't sell any of it after we are done with it. Look at what you spend on Cable TV and you can't get your money back from the programs you watched or missed ( unused) .
When you donate to the Good Will or Salvation Army and it goes into their store to be sold the money helps people.

When you donate things to a Senior Center, school , church for Sunday School classes , Center for abuse women. Ronald Mc Donald house, Hospital or any other non- profits you are also helping spread a little joy to alot of people.

Whether you take a tax deduction or not you are contributing toward a better and more caring society.
Joan B, Paula in GA, mastamper and 10 others like this post.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #50
Rubber Obsessor

Gosh, I am losing my mind over all the stamps that people want to get rid of and how they do it. There aren't any garage sales around here that have craft items, nor my Salvation Army or anywhere. I have depleted J's and M's and have to order everything online. that gets expensive so limits my spending. I wish I lived anywhere near any of you...lol

with all that being said, I've been looking for an old SU set..
"Holy Triptych" does anyone have that to sell? thanks.
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #51
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by elayne View Post
Gosh, I am losing my mind over all the stamps that people want to get rid of and how they do it. There aren't any garage sales around here that have craft items, nor my Salvation Army or anywhere. I have depleted J's and M's and have to order everything online. that gets expensive so limits my spending. I wish I lived anywhere near any of you...lol

with all that being said, I've been looking for an old SU set..
"Holy Triptych" does anyone have that to sell? thanks.
Beautiful set - you should post an ISO here: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/iso-f115/

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 03-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #52
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue View Post
Beautiful set - you should post an ISO here: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/iso-f115/

thanks, I just did that.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #53
Stazon Splitcoast

FWIW I do buy stuff from Goodwill online - but gosh the way they list their stamps drives me crazy.

I honestly won't complain about how anyone redistributes their goodies because you have had some great suggestions and have to do what works for you. Have fun with your next adventure!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #54
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliespringer View Post
I have sold to Canada only once. People receiving package from out of the their Country need to understand how long these package take to be delivered.

I sent a priority package to Canada. But once the package enters Canada,
U. S. Priority tracking stops. Package has to go through Canada Customs. In my experience this can take up to four weeks plus from the date of mailing.

After two weeks the buyers started to claim package lost. I checked with my post office. They would not claim package lost for I think 6 weeks.

For another 2 week she continued to get more upset and started to demand her money back. Which would put me out a stamp set and the high postage I paid above charging her. As I found out that paying Priority cost Does NOT insure faster delivery after package enters Canada.

When she received the package, 4 weeks later, I asked what the post date was for entering Canada. It was two days after I mailed it. It took 4 weeks for the buyer to receive it.

After this one experience, I am sorry to say, I would not send a package to Canada again. ONLY if I personally knew the person and we both understood the delay issue.
I'm sorry it went like that for you You had a very un-understanding Canadian customer and I am ashamed. I have had the privilege of dealing with 2 American sellers, willing to ship to me. And it went very well. I sent them both money orders in American funds and I believe the wait time was between 2 and 3 weeks. I knew this going in and was not in a hurry. It was a few years ago now and I can't remember how much I paid for shipping, it wasn't cheap but neither was it terrible. I wanted the sets so...

I don't blame you for not wanting to repeat the experience but I can tell you we are not all like that and I think most Canadians, and all international buyers as mentioned in another post, are understanding of shipping time and extra cost. If we are willing to wait, and pay, we just are happy to find willing sellers.
sprtchick and stiz2003 like this post.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #55
Stazon Splitcoast

Look what I found advertised in CL's arts&crafts for Milwaukee. Someone's thinking! What a great idea!
(organized roaming craft garage sale, inviting buyers and sellers alike to participate)
Kids, Toy, Scrapbooking Consignment Resale Sales in Madison, WI, Dane County and Beyond!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #56
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniebean55 View Post
Look what I found advertised in CL's arts&crafts for Milwaukee. Someone's thinking! What a great idea!
(organized roaming craft garage sale, inviting buyers and sellers alike to participate)
Kids, Toy, Scrapbooking Consignment Resale Sales in Madison, WI, Dane County and Beyond!
Wow that is a great find and idea ! Price it --drop it off- pick up your money and the things that did not sell Easy Peasy

No danger of strangers coming to your home-- No packing or shipping. No emailing numerous pictures of the item . No going back and forth with any one who wants to dicker 50Ę off the price or shipping LOL

Great idea
RiverIsis and StamperDea like this post.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #57
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I purge my stamps regularly on ebay. But first go into search, advanced and check completed auctions. This will give you a good idea of what it's selling for and if it's selling. It's not worth the effort for stamps that don't sell. I then take the stamps that are not selling and sell them in a lot, asking a low price. If they still don't move, I give them to charity. You will get a better price on ebay, despite their fees than you will in a used stamp sale. Punches sell very well, depending on the punch. I sold a punch for a friend with stage 4 cancer, an SU punch for 65.00! She was trying to thin her collection so we sold quite a bit. It's worth the time to check it out especially retired SU items. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #58
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmaker2 View Post
I'm sorry it went like that for you You had a very un-understanding Canadian customer and I am ashamed. I have had the privilege of dealing with 2 American sellers, willing to ship to me. And it went very well. I sent them both money orders in American funds and I believe the wait time was between 2 and 3 weeks. I knew this going in and was not in a hurry. It was a few years ago now and I can't remember how much I paid for shipping, it wasn't cheap but neither was it terrible. I wanted the sets so...

I don't blame you for not wanting to repeat the experience but I can tell you we are not all like that and I think most Canadians, and all international buyers as mentioned in another post, are understanding of shipping time and extra cost. If we are willing to wait, and pay, we just are happy to find willing sellers.
As an ebay seller, I can sympathize with your issue. For these reasons, when I list I don't sell overseas but I am very grateful to sellers who do. On rare occasion I sold to Canada with no issues. Customers can really be nasty if they have to wait a while to get their package.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I frequently ahip to Canada.

Quote:

I have some very sweet customers in Canada and never have I had a bad experience shipping to them. I feel so blessed to have customers in other countries. I have learned a lot about the different types of shipping available. I'm so sorry that one of the Canadian ladies was impatient and wasn't very nice.
Paula in GA, cardmaker2 and Scottitude like this post.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:43 AM   #60
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP111 View Post
I have not had much luck lately in selling stamp sets on EBay. The things I have listed are priced pretty low, but they aren't selling. My last three listings expire this afternoon; I'm going to try listing what doesn't sell here in the BST forums.

I have done "OK" in the past by selling things here.

Thankfully, two of the three items listed on EBay sold! I remember reading a few years ago that it is best if your auctions end on a Sunday afternoon. I guess more people are on EBay then. Whatever, I'm glad they sold!

Also, I found a facebook group called Purge to Splurge and have had good luck there. I posted 4 things last night and sold two of them already!

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
My passion - rescuing senior dogs! The Mr Mo Project
sprtchick and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #61
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I'm always happy if a seller is willing to ship international. As for me, I wouldn't bother the seller too early with a mail, if the shipping is taking longer, because I know that international shipping will take some time. Some packages only took a week, but the normal shipping time would be 2-6 weeks, especially if the customs check the package. So I'm willing to wait and I exercise myself in patience.

I even find it usefull, that ebay has now included a note for international listings, that shipping will be more expensive and take longer than national shipping, so that one should take this into consideration when you write the feedback.
sprtchick and cardmaker2 like this post.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by biblesistersmom View Post
So, if the older sets don't sell, what do you do with them? I guess I could donate, but I really would want them to go to someone who would love them. Also, I'm trying to earn a little cash as well as clean out my stash, so I guess I need to think about it some more. My MIL stamps, so maybe I could just send them to her. She has more space than I do!
There is a pay it forward thread here where you can list items you want to give away and people can reply if they want them.
Arlene_C likes this post.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #63
Insane Embellisher

Back to the original question, I think it's a matter of time vs. money. If you want to get rid of stuff in a hurry, I agree with other posters that donation is the best way to go. If you want to spend the time photographing, listing, researching prices and posting your items, you might make more. I also agree that you will make more posting individual items, but you will also spend more time posting, packing and shipping.

It's amazing how difficult it is to get rid of stuff these days. No one seems to want anything used, even at bargain prices.
Arlene_C likes this post.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #64
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

It's unfortunate that Leslie's one and only experience with a Canadian was a bad one, but I don't think you should feel ashamed. It is not a reflection of you nor I as Canadians, and anybody that thinks it is has a very limited perspective. That's like saying I had one bad experience with an American, therefore all Americans must be horrible to deal with. In fact, if that were the case, I would have a pretty bad opinion of people from a whole lot of countries!!!

Yes from time to time items take longer. Most Canadians who do any shopping online are very familiar with that. If it is the person's first time online shopping, they need to be educated, plain and simple. Even within Canada our mail is slow! C'mon people, we know that. It's not Canada as a whole that is a problem... the more urban the area, usually the faster your mail is. I live just outside of Vancouver, and I quite often receive packages within one week. The norm is about 2 weeks for me. On Valentine's Day, hubby told me to order something I wanted from Top Dog Dies. In spite of Monday the 16th being an American holiday, I received my package within less than 10 days. Has it ever taken longer? Yes, of course. And even if the USPS tracking stops at the border, that's more than enough evidence that the seller shipped it!

If the buyer is willing to pay the high cost of shipping, I'll send an item pretty much anywhere. As you said, most international buyers are pretty understanding because they've experienced it before, and often they're just really grateful to get something they can't find in their own backyard.

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
cardmaker2 likes this post.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #65
Glitter Guru

I have joined several facebook groups to buy and sell!
Stampin addicts
Stampin' stuffs for sale
Stamper's paradise
Stamping Demos (past & present)
Rubber stamps and things for sale
Stamp, Sell, Share & Swap

Along with this boards BST and ISO, I have had great luck finding sets on these facebook groups and have sold a lot there too. Many have ISO files too, it is always great to help another stamper find a set they need.

Plus you don't have all the fees associated with ebay, it is a killer! I sold as a store for awhile there and barely broke even with all the fees. At least with the facebook groups and on here there is only a paypal fee.
Angie~Jeremiah 29:11
My blog: http://angieannastamps.com/
https://facebook.com/stampingwithangie
sprtchick, mamaxsix and Scottitude like this post.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #66
Watercolor Wizard

I second the comment about mailing to Canada! And, it is unfortunate that people ruin it for some of us understanding and patient folk.

One thing you could do (although I know it increases your hassle) is make sure you state buyer risk. Take a pic f the addressed package and tracking at the PO, send it to the buyer and done. If that package gets lost, I dint think it's your responsibility!
cardmaker2 and Scottitude like this post.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #67
Stazon Splitcoast

Default thanks for the links

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh29 View Post
I have joined several facebook groups to buy and sell!
Stampin addicts
Stampin' stuffs for sale
Stamper's paradise
Stamping Demos (past & present)
Rubber stamps and things for sale
Stamp, Sell, Share & Swap

Along with this boards BST and ISO, I have had great luck finding sets on these facebook groups and have sold a lot there too. Many have ISO files too, it is always great to help another stamper find a set they need.

Plus you don't have all the fees associated with ebay, it is a killer! I sold as a store for awhile there and barely broke even with all the fees. At least with the facebook groups and on here there is only a paypal fee.
Thanks so much for other places to list things for sale. I have 2 large bins of SU stamps in the garage to send to new homes. I need to get on it. I dont sell used or new SU in my webstore so Ebay and these other places will sure help. I have great luck selling on Ebay and have had more than 500 sales in the last 30 days. Still so much to get rid of.
Blessings
Old 05-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #68
Crimping Master

This is an old forum, but I had to do a search for 'liquidating' today because I am overwhelmed with what I need to get rid of. I've stamped for 19 years and the swap group I've been with for many years just notified me (when I was in the hospital with a cardiovascular issue) that they were replacing me. I have an estimated $75,000 worth of stamps and product in my basement - a HUGE inventory of SU, PTI, Taylored Expressions, Clearly Besotted, and about a g-zillion other companies. I have enough cards to last me a lifetime. It's time to let this go. I don't want it left as part of my estate because no one will have an inkling of what it's worth. I have donated a lot of it already but I am SO MANY PTI and SU sets that have never seen ink - not to mention the cardstock, DP, ribbon and other accessories. There are some good ideas here and helpful suggestions. I am trying to decide whether to sell at a huge loss and at least get something - or just divide it all up and donate it. If I could find the right place to donate - some place that would really appreciate it and use it - I would probably go that route. My stamp room is worth more than my house ... yes, I have an addiction. Ya think???

I canít be overdrawn. I still have some checks!!
www.corgitales.blogspot.com
Old 05-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dee View Post
This is an old forum, but I had to do a search for 'liquidating' today because I am overwhelmed with what I need to get rid of. I've stamped for 19 years and the swap group I've been with for many years just notified me (when I was in the hospital with a cardiovascular issue) that they were replacing me. I have an estimated $75,000 worth of stamps and product in my basement - a HUGE inventory of SU, PTI, Taylored Expressions, Clearly Besotted, and about a g-zillion other companies. I have enough cards to last me a lifetime. It's time to let this go. I don't want it left as part of my estate because no one will have an inkling of what it's worth. I have donated a lot of it already but I am SO MANY PTI and SU sets that have never seen ink - not to mention the cardstock, DP, ribbon and other accessories. There are some good ideas here and helpful suggestions. I am trying to decide whether to sell at a huge loss and at least get something - or just divide it all up and donate it. If I could find the right place to donate - some place that would really appreciate it and use it - I would probably go that route. My stamp room is worth more than my house ... yes, I have an addiction. Ya think???
Do you have some people locally you can invite to a sale? Twice a year I have a $5 stamp sale - it's like a party. I serve wine, food and people get great deals and I get a little money back. You could even start with just one brand per sale.

If you are okay with dealing with shipping - I'm sure your stuff would sell fast in our BST forum - sounds like you have great collections!

Love Splitcoast?

sprtchick and wavejumper like this post.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #70
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
It's time to let this go. I don't want it left as part of my estate because no one will have an inkling of what it's worth.
This comment struck a chord; you are so right about the estate. Whoever are your heirs or the executor would just be totally overwhelmed. You are doing them a HUGE favor by taking care of it so they aren't left to struggle through it. Frankly I've been afraid that my sons would just pull up a dumpster and toss my entire craft room in it. So I found a younger lady who will be so thrilled to take it (the crafty grown daughter of a friend of mine) and my boys are under instructions to let her take whatever she wants

If you have that much, why not a giant eBay or auction sale, by lots?
lesliespringer, sprtchick and wavejumper like this post.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #71
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I'm so sorry about your health issues! I hope all is well (or at least better) now. I empathize with your dilemma! I have a lot of stuff as well and can't seem to stop buying. I have a hard time donating because I still love most of it, but just don't seem to have a chance to use it. Maybe when I retire? I did read a blog where the lady put everything out and sold every item big and small for $1. She ended up making $4000! I would do that but I don't know too many crafty people in my small town. And, for all the work a sale would be, I'm not sure it would be worth it. Regarding the BST forum here, I'm sure people would snatch up your lovely items, but I have found it is a huge hassle to estimate shipping, do the packaging, and get to the post office. Some people want to pay with checks which I think is a bad idea. So, sorry I am not more helpful or encouraging, but I did want to check in with you and let you know you're not alone! Hang in there!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #72
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by biblesistersmom View Post
I'm so sorry about your health issues! I hope all is well (or at least better) now. I empathize with your dilemma! I have a lot of stuff as well and can't seem to stop buying. I have a hard time donating because I still love most of it, but just don't seem to have a chance to use it. Maybe when I retire? I did read a blog where the lady put everything out and sold every item big and small for $1. She ended up making $4000! I would do that but I don't know too many crafty people in my small town. And, for all the work a sale would be, I'm not sure it would be worth it. Regarding the BST forum here, I'm sure people would snatch up your lovely items, but I have found it is a huge hassle to estimate shipping, do the packaging, and get to the post office. Some people want to pay with checks which I think is a bad idea. So, sorry I am not more helpful or encouraging, but I did want to check in with you and let you know you're not alone! Hang in there!

And, by the way, I'm kind of your next door neighbor in ND, so if you're ever travelling through, bring me some stuff.

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
sprtchick and SophieLaFontaine like this post.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #73
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
I am on a fixed income so I am as tight with money as anyone . I don't like to waste money , but I think too many people get hung up on the money they " spent " on something and therefore struggle with donating it.

Card making or scrapbooking is a form of recreation. We all spend money on recreation such as vacations, movies and so forth and we can't sell any of it after we are done with it. Look at what you spend on Cable TV and you can't get your money back from the programs you watched or missed ( unused) .
When you donate to the Good Will or Salvation Army and it goes into their store to be sold the money helps people.

When you donate things to a Senior Center, school , church for Sunday School classes , Center for abuse women. Ronald Mc Donald house, Hospital or any other non- profits you are also helping spread a little joy to alot of people.

Whether you take a tax deduction or not you are contributing toward a better and more caring society.
Well said.
Dea
sprtchick and wavejumper like this post.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #74
Gallery Gazer

Beth, I hope you're feeling better! The only other donation idea I can think of is a senior center, if they have a good crafts program. My LSS donates regularly to a senior center in our area, and I've heard everything they donate is appreciated and used. (I thought it was a nursing home but it's not.)

I wish you luck.

Another Beth
Old 05-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #75
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Beth if you don't mind my asking, where in MN are you? Also I just sold a bunch of unused SU (mostly) sets on a FB sale page. I listed everything at 5pm on a Friday night and by Saturday afternoon it was all sold (had like 75 items I posted that time) I did let it go for less then I could have gotten if I would have taken the time, but I just wanted the stuff out that I wasn't using so I got back to using what I loved
Old 05-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp-A-Rella View Post
{And it should be ILLEGAL to break up a set ... for reals ... it just KILLS me to see this!}

I used to feel the same way, I promise.

Until I got a magical card catalog and found out how cool it is to have them arranged by theme (wood mount only, of course). I wrote the set names on the blocks though so I could reunite them if need be

Love Splitcoast?

Old 05-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #77
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlFriday View Post
Actually no, you can print postage direct from USPS.com, and there is no charge to have a USPS.com account or to order Priority boxes and supplies. I don't have a CC on file either.
I print out labels all the time for priority mail postage. If I'm not using a flat rate box, I have a small scale to weigh the packages. I set up an account at USPS.com and either use a cc or paypal. You can buy a package of labels at any office supply store ( just like the labels online vendors use)Then make an online request for your carrier to pick up the packages. Easy and stress free.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #78
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliespringer View Post
I know when I go to donate items, usually children clothing, shoes, books, toys I am asked if I want a tax donation sheet. I usually say no, because I don't know how much I have to claim in donation's to receive a tax deduction.

So, the next time I donate like 10 boxes of stuff, would I get a a decent tax deduction?
It really depends on your tax status. If you itemize all your expenses and mortgage on your tax return, then you should donate at least $500 worth every year and take that off your taxes.

If you don't itemize on your return, then donations give you no tax benefit. All you get on form 1040EZ is the standard deduction per person.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #79
Gabfest Goddess

I've sold most of my stamps ...both wood mount and clear...on various craft destash sites on Facebook. All my SU sets were old ones. Clear stamps are easy to ship and you can get 2 stampin up sets in a flat rate padded envelope. I've only had moderate success on the buy / sell site here.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #80
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJP111 View Post
Also, I found a facebook group called Purge to Splurge and have had good luck there. I posted 4 things last night and sold two of them already!
I hunted up Purge to Splurge on Facebook and read that the group was taken down by Facebook over some issues late last year. The page is there, but I didn't see any postings or pics. Anyone know how to access this group? I am definitely joining some of these groups - I have stamps I would like to rotate out of my stash, but I've not really had much luck selling stuff.