Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belly Band for Wedding Invitation

I am working on wedding invitations and am getting ready to do the "bely bands". The cards are 5 1/2 inch square. I am doing a 1 inch strip with SU! ribbon attached to the top of it. I am having a problem making them look right. Can anyone help...

-Do you glue/tape the ribbon to the entire length of the Belly Band?

-Do you "score" the Belly Band or just fold it over at the sides?

I am having a difficult time not making it too loose so it falls off or too type so it is hard to move up and down. I think all of the "enclosures" inside make it more difficult as it is pretty thick.

The ribbon seems to "buckle" and is not laying flat.

Thanks for any help as I am almost done but it seems like things never come together the way you want!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yikes! I'm no expert but you may want to consider taping the whole of the ribbon to the cardstock.

Have to say in general this one of the reasons I stay away from Belly Bands...but I hope someone comes along with some help for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Not sure how to advise you on the ribbon, but could you maybe instead use a thinner strip of a shimmery paper that you could adhere all the way around? Sort of like a "faux ribbon."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the replies! I know...I would have preferred the layered paper but they really wanted the ribbon and that SU! ribbon is so nice since it matches well. I will keep playing with it. I stepped away and worked on another part as I was getting very frustrated!

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 04:48 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

When you make a belly band that goes around something thick, the layers, whether they be paper or ribbon, need to be done separately.

To make it easier for your band to be mass produced, fold a scrap strip of cs once, place it around the invite and fold the second time. Leave a bit of ease. Tape it and try it. I think I left about 1/16 inch space but try it several times until you get what you want. Then measure and score all your real cs, and assemble the bands. I would adhere the ends together while over one of the invites (or a dummy invite) so that you can't make mistakes.

Then put the ribbon on. If you do the ribbon on the cardstock while flat, it will buckle when you fold it 100% of the time. I would probably put tape center back, both sides near the fold on the back and front and not near the bow (assuming you are doing a bow here!) It could be taped all the way around as well, if you want to use that much tape.

Hope that helps you a bit.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
When you make a belly band that goes around something thick, the layers, whether they be paper or ribbon, need to be done separately.

To make it easier for your band to be mass produced, fold a scrap strip of cs once, place it around the invite and fold the second time. Leave a bit of ease. Tape it and try it. I think I left about 1/16 inch space but try it several times until you get what you want. Then measure and score all your real cs, and assemble the bands. I would adhere the ends together while over one of the invites (or a dummy invite) so that you can't make mistakes.

Then put the ribbon on. If you do the ribbon on the cardstock while flat, it will buckle when you fold it 100% of the time. I would probably put tape center back, both sides near the fold on the back and front and not near the bow (assuming you are doing a bow here!) It could be taped all the way around as well, if you want to use that much tape.

THANKS SOOO MUCH This sounds perfect! I actually have to do them today and cannot put it off any longer so your timing was wonderful. I don't even have to do a bow on the ribbon as I have a layered square that is mounted on top of the belly band in the middle on the front.

Thanks again for the help and for the great directions. I will be trying it in a little bit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

You're welcome. I did a BUNCH of those little trifold albums that have belly bands and learned quickly (well, I learned many ways that didn't work) how to make 3 layers of paper lay flat. I also did a paper image over the seam so I could cover the "mistakes" (otherwise known as opportunities for education! LOL)

Hope it goes well for you!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

You're welcome. I did a BUNCH of those little trifold albums that have belly bands and learned quickly (well, I learned many ways that didn't work) how to make 3 layers of paper lay flat. I also did a paper image over the seam so I could cover the "mistakes" (otherwise known as opportunities for education! LOL)

Hope it goes well for you!
Perfect directions!!! I scored everything, folded 4 of them around a sample card at a time, taped the ends of the belly band, put mono on the back of the band, attached the ribbon and used red line tape to attach it in the front that was covered by the dimensionals and square design on front. PERFECT! They lay flat, the ribbon is attached but not wrinkled and they are a perfect fit

THANKS again!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Fiona, I'm not making anything like this but read this thread anyway. Wanted to give you a big Hooray for writing such clear directions, and solving the poster's problem just in the nick of time.

SCS is just full of wonderful people like you who are willing to help anyway they can.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

psychkim, I'm glad your invites worked out fine, I hope you post them in your gallery, because all of your other cards and favors are awesome! Fiona, thanks for those instructions, I just started graduation invites with a belly band, so your advice will be very helpful AGAIN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Not to appear too dumb, what is a belly band? Thanks - Joan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMW, I just looked at your gallery. I want to be your friend, take care of your grandma or whatever it takes to be on your gift list! Your favors are just so cute. Having been a nurse (in a hospital) for 20 years, I know that the workers at the nursing home where your grandma lives really appreciate your work. Just to be remembered by family is the highlight of the staffs day.
Nice job on everything in your gallery.
Kathy T in SW IN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by klpt58View Post
OMW, I just looked at your gallery. I want to be your friend, take care of your grandma or whatever it takes to be on your gift list! Your favors are just so cute. Having been a nurse (in a hospital) for 20 years, I know that the workers at the nursing home where your grandma lives really appreciate your work. Just to be remembered by family is the highlight of the staffs day.
Nice job on everything in your gallery.
Kathy T in SW IN
Thanks! You are very sweet. I LOVE the nurses who work with my Grandma and am SO thankful for all they do. I am sure the families you worked with felt the same about you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystampsView Post
psychkim, I'm glad your invites worked out fine, I hope you post them in your gallery, because all of your other cards and favors are awesome! Fiona, thanks for those instructions, I just started graduation invites with a belly band, so your advice will be very helpful AGAIN!
You are right...her directions were AWESOME. I was so stressed and ready to "give up" on this belly band idea but with her directions they worked like a charm. I will post them in my gallery soon...I have 150 of them finished and tonight and Sunday I will be working on putting all the enclosures inside, putting them in the envelopes and addressing them. They go postal on Monday
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Fiona, I'm not making anything like this but read this thread anyway. Wanted to give you a big Hooray for writing such clear directions, and solving the poster's problem just in the nick of time.

SCS is just full of wonderful people like you who are willing to help anyway they can.
I agree....she did a fabulous job!!!

I have been BUSY with these invites and had not "checked in" for awhile but Fiona was wonderful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2009, 04:13 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychkimView Post
No such thing as "dumb questions" Someone will most likely be able to explain this "clearer" BUT a belly band is a strip of card stock that goes around the card/box and is taped/glued together. It is NOT taped to the actual card/box so that you can slide it up and off of the card/box. You often see them around square cards or matchbook boxes as they hold the item closed and are slid off. Hope this makes some sense
thanks - I get it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

Cool ideas, a friend of mine is thinking through ideas for her invitations this will be a great help, thanks ladies
Reply With Quote Likes