Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default B/S/T forum- why so $$

I don't know if this should be here or in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

I've been over there looking to see if there's anything that I'd like. I'm a frugal stamper, have to be a budget to afford this hobby. I've listed a few things in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum with limited success.

When I list something it's always for a really good price. But most others don't seem to, except for SU sets. I've seen those for as low as $5.

I thought the whole idea of that forum was to get rid of something you didn't want, not to turn a profit? I've seen things for the same price as you can get them at retailers. Plus then you have to pay shipping. And most of the time these items are used.

Is it just me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed that also. I have gotten a few things on the forum and had great service from them. I guess if there is an item you want bad enough I guess somebody will pay that price but I am like you... I have to stay with in reason.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I noticed that lately too. I guess I wish I would get the prices that some have been paying for sets. I always price mine around $5. I never think that anyone will want to pay as much as the original price or more. Guess I'm naive that way or maybe just too generous.

Hope you get some bargains though. Keep looking and stick to the price you're willing to pay. You'll find someone who'll be willing to sell it to you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Me too! I am not a collector who buys sets as an investment. These are not Beanie Babies to me, I buy stamps to use them! I can't justify paying $25 dollars for a used set that could buy so much else at my local JO Annes, even if I really want it. I am putting some sets in a garage sale next weekend and will be charging about $5 dollars for them. They are not the ones everyone is searching for, just the old hostess stuff and such, and I don't feel right about asking huge amounts for them. That being said, congratulations to anyone who does get tons for a single set, and I will admit that if I had Wild Wild West or something, it would be on E Bay right now, with my fingers crossed for the $100 mark!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

well there will almost always be someone willing to pay. I have my limits.. when I go to ebay to hunt, or even on here.. I won't go over original retail(including stated shipping costs..(which is where you get screwed on ebay a lot of the time) if its new and I also have my limits when something is listed as used.

I figure why do that when I can just place an order with my Demo and have it count towards a hostess set or something....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,013 Likes on 867 Posts
Default b/s/t

I notice that people list the catalog prices- well, I do pay the catalog price, but if I am buying from a demo, I do not think I should pay full price for used stamps or stamping items that the demo's get a discount on to start off with,........ are you with me on this one ladies??? That is one reason I may consider looking to e-bay..........

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I have not had good luck selling sets in the BST forum. I try to list at good prices, but also don't just want to give things away, either. I had several sets I was trying to sell just to free up some space. I have since unmounted those and that has worked out really well. It's been my experience that if you truly want to get rid of something, that is still available for purchase at retail, you practically have to give it away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sister, I'm right there with you. I used to buy over there, but in the absence of value, I haven't purchased anything for awhile. The thing that gets me most is when the seller wants you to pay her for her own delivery confirmation. There's nothing I want badly enough to pay a profit (or at least a new price on a used item), shipping and for her to have a record of something I already know.

HOWEVER, I don't give up, maybe someday it will change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

When I have listed anything in B/S/T, I have never listed it for more than I paid as a demo. Most of my sets I have listed are also new and unmounted. So anyone who buys from me is getting a brand new set--not used. While it is true I want to get rid of some of my sets, I don't want to give them away either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I have noticed that he prices can be high. I don't think that people do all of the research necessary to find a price to list something. KWIM? If I want something but feel the asking price is too high I PM them and offer what I feel is reasonable. Sometimes they bite sometimes not. But... if I PM them with a reason why I am offering a lower price (i.e. I am interested in your xxxx set but seeing it was only $14.95 originally in the catalog I would like to offer $10 instead of the $25 you are asking.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I've had a lot of success trading here on SCS in the Trade forum. The reason that you list items for the price you paid is so that you get an even trade. When you trade, both parties pay shipping cost...not sure what you are getting at but thought that I would clarify why when you are trading you want to list your item for the catty price. Have a great day! Happy Stampin! God BLess!

Stephanie Vittorio

Stuff I've Stamped
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an post in the Buy thread. Most of my stuff Is older stamps and I'm not trying to make a profit off of them. they are set below what they cost me.

However I do have one stamp set from SU that is retired that I'm trying to sell. I have it marker about $3.45 under what I paid for it.

For some reason I purchased two of these stamp set's.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I too have noticed things going for a lot of money. That's a good question!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,013 Likes on 867 Posts
Default b/s/t

I have to clarify- I have had many wonderful trades through the forums at SCS and have never been unhappy with any of them....... I just made a comment that if a demo pays $16.00 for something I pay $20.00 for- it is not an even trade to me, and I do feel that some of the sets are readily available on e-bay cheaper- which is really the last place I want to go.......

So, I do agree- the sets are on the b/s/t forum because you want to get rid of them- so think they should not be the original price you paid for them, but I understand that is up to each individual posting there....and there is always someone willing to pay top dollar for those certain sets..........

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #14  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post

I've been over there looking to see if there's anything that I'd like. I'm a frugal stamper, have to be a budget to afford this hobby. I've listed a few things in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum with limited success.

When I list something it's always for a really good price. But most others don't seem to, except for SU sets. I've seen those for as low as $5.

I thought the whole idea of that forum was to get rid of something you didn't want, not to turn a profit? I've seen things for the same price as you can get them at retailers. Plus then you have to pay shipping. And most of the time these items are used.

Is it just me?
I guess everyone has their own idea of what the B/S/T forum is for. I never really thought of it as a way to find cheap stuff, nor a place to sell of my perfectly good or hardly used stamp sets.

I wouldn't think I am out to make a profit, but at the same time, I am not looking to have it cost me either. I have never charged anything more than I have paid.
If I pay 16 for something, I would never ask for 20. I would ask for maybe 15 total though, which then would cover the shipping.

And if I was really wanting to 'just get rid of it', I would take it to Goodwill. I don't really think that's the intention of the forum though.
Just my .02.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post

Is it just me?

I generally agree with everything you've just said. And going to EBAY is quite often cheaper than a swap or sale here.

I find myself doing repeat trades with the same people. Good communication great trade/sales and they dont hound you for a date/time and confirmation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 04:20 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I've bought rare sets over the original price because I really wanted them. When I have used it (or haven't used it in many cases), I may try to sell it and recoup my losses. That is the only time I would sell over the original price. The money that I make is simply used to fund my hobby.

However, we must remember one simple thing. We live in a capitalist society, and people are willing to pay money for things that they want. And, I agree with the PP, if we just wanted to get rid of these things, we would simply drop them off at the Goodwill store.

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

I personally don't see the BST as a place to go to make profit, I think people list things there because they are comfortable listing things there. On ebay, everything now is black and white - and with the new feedback policy, forget it! Yes, some prices are a bit pricier than ebay, yes, but I personally can't stand shopping on ebay! Even though I swoop, the price is usually jacked up by people bidding at the last second so what I think I'm going to buy for $6 ends up being $15, etc ..... at least on the BST, the price is listed from the get-go What is $6 is $6.00! I buy on the BST because it's a friendly, nice place to buy - I guess the comraderie is what makes it a nice place. Yes, the prices seem to bit higher, but my mantra is if you wait, the right sets will come along. I've seen the same set sell for $30.00 and then a week later someone else has it for $5.00. It's all about timing.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 03:46 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for the replies! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 05:03 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I listed something in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum of this website. Copic Sketch markers for $45 which included postage. The set included the plastic case. I indicated I had only had the set for 10 days and only tested them for their color. I only got one reply and that person only wanted to pay $20. I felt it was not a bargin site, so I said no. For 12 Copic markers $20 including shipping would be giving them away. I figured I might as well keep them.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Hi,

I've found some great deals in the BST forum and sold a few things too and think it's a great way to get rid of old things and get new sets. Whereas the sets that I sold went for about 50% off, I'm always shocked when I'm trying to buy a set that someone is trading and they want the current price. For a trade that seems reasonable, but if I am outright buying the set...that just seems outrageous. I rarely look on the Trade forum for that reason.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

When I have listed some things in the b/s/t, or responded to someone with an iso, I first check ebay and see what that set is going for there, then I make my price a couple dollars lower. I figure that if I were to sell them on ebay, I would have to take the time to list them, pay fees, etc that I don't have to here, so I can afford to lower the price. And I only charge what shipping actually comes to. I don't include a "handling fee". I think that's fair.

I think some who list sets for sale, especially those who have the more valuable sets, are probably being cautious. Of course, most of us are looking for these sets to actually use. But I have heard of those who go looking for bargains then turn around and sell them on ebay for a profit. There was one set I bought on the b/s/t that is rare and retired and normally goes on ebay for upwards of $40 even though the original price was less than $20. I offered $25 (which I though was reasonable) but the buyer would only accept after I promised her that it wouldn't end up on ebay. Nope. It's in my collection getting a lot of love and use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #22  
Vee
Glitter Guru

This is so sad. I am a long time splitcoast member and BST didn't used to be this way. Checking on ebya to see what sets are going for?!? That is just not the spirit of the thing. ebay buyers are driven by many things besides just price. SCS is the place for STAMPERS. Personally, I always realize that any price I list will cost the buyer $4.80 more for shipping, so that makes me price them cheap. I want them to go to good homes after all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 04:34 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Speaking strictly as a buyer (I get too attached to my stuff to sell it!) - I feel that sellers on B/S/T should ask whatever they feel is fair for what they are selling. Keep in mind, we're allowed to sell only retired items here - that means the sellers are listing things that are not available just anywhere! I know that I was stalking the forum after the last catalog retired because I NEEDED Garden Silhouettes and there was no way I'd ever have a big enough workshop to earn it. I also had a price in my mind that I was willing to pay and was lucky enough to find it listed for a little less than that. There were sellers who had it listed at a higher amount; if I'd have been willing to wait, I could have gotten it for a lower amount, but as far as I was concerned, I got a great deal - a set I wanted for a price I thought was fair.

I guess I don't understand why we think the items on B/S/T should automatically be deeply discounted. A lot of the B/S/T posters are demos - they use the $$ they make from selling their retired items to replenish their stash with new stamps. While I would never pay $20 plus shipping for a retired Sell-a-bration set, I also don't think they should be priced at next to nothing just because they were a gift with purchase. A seller who is just trying to get rid of stuff that she isn't using will probably price lower than one who is selling items in order to put the money toward some other goal (whether that be new stamps, nursery furniture for the new baby, medical expenses, etc.)

When you stalk the BST Forum, you will find great buys. You will also find prices that make you say "yeah, right (eyeroll)" What you might think is outrageously expensive, someone else might be thrilled to get at any price. It's just a matter of perspective. I know that I won't buy anything on B/S/T if I can get it for less with a coupon new, but if I lived hours away from a Michael's or Joanne's? That wouldn't apply.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Cbet has a very good point. this isn't a garage sale where you EXPECT stuff to be priced dirt cheap. this is a legitimate website with people who KNOW the value of things.

I have an analogy. My grandmother collected Hummel Figurines. some of her collection is so rare it has no listed value in ANY of the collectors magazines and books. some of her pieces are one of a kinds only manufactured for Germany, or manufactured only for Club members.

when she died, I inherited the set. when appraised, I had pieces that were worth $2500..and yet people were only willing to pay $20 or $30 because it was 'just a figurine'. I also had unscrupulous dealers think they could get away with offering me a pittance KNOWING they could turn around and auction it off to the highest bidder for a lot more. Luckily I knew BEFORE hand how much this stuff was worth and I have yet to find anyone willing to pay a fair price. so, I have them packed up in boxes as I have no room to display them myself.

I don't necessarily think that BST posters are out to turn a profit. I just think they have an idea of what they are willing to let something go for. Just as I have an idea of what I am willing to spend. Just because they didn't pay for a stamp set doesn't mean it doesn't have value.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

I have been buying/selling and trading on SCS for almost 5 years and have had really good luck, for the most part! My biggest complaint is people trying to buy retired things from me really, really cheap and then turning around and reselling them in their eBay stores for 4 to 6 times what they paid me for them on here! Sometimes, they already have what I am listing for sell on here in their eBay stores (I usually have to do a lot of digging to even discover if they have an eBay store, too, they NEVER disclose they are going to resell the items to me!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie FWView Post
I have been buying/selling and trading on SCS for almost 5 years and have had really good luck, for the most part! My biggest complaint is people trying to buy retired things from me really, really cheap and then turning around and reselling them in their eBay stores for 4 to 6 times what they paid me for them on here! Sometimes, they already have what I am listing for sell on here in their eBay stores (I usually have to do a lot of digging to even discover if they have an eBay store, too, they NEVER disclose they are going to resell the items to me!)
This is my concern as well. I think that the B/S/T forum is not a "garage sale" where you expect prices to be low. Stamps do not lose value unless they are damaged in some way or a set is missing pieces. I do not think it is wrong for a seller to expect a fair price for a retired set. Now if the set is still available to purchase new then the price should never be more than the retail price of a new set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I rarely look in the B/S/T forum because I find it difficult to use. Some titles are just to criptic -- I really do not have the time to open each thread to see what is for sale. And the search function is not very user friendly (IMO). BUT when I do look there I admit I usually compare the prices on eb@y because I want a deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok.....I have used the B/S/T forum for both buying and selling, and I use Ebay for both as well.

Sometimes people do overprice stuff, but I look at it as though that's the price they need to get to sell. Maybe they don't really want to sell it, maybe they desperately need money...either way, I pass it up if I don't like the price.

It's just that, a trading forum, where people price their own items how they see fit. I have found a few items at great prices, and I have sold a few as well.

As far as retired items, especially SU sets, some are 'worth' much more than their original catalog price due to supply and demand.

I for one will take advantage of that if I have a set in high demand. I know what I can get on Ebay, but I do list on B/S/T first at about 10-15% less than Ebay prices. Because it's free, and why end up selling to an SCSer on Ebay when we both could save the hassle?

As far as overpriced anything...even accessories, tools, etc...let them post...it's a nice free service and often useful...we just don't have to buy if we don't like the price. I do find it annoying though when people bump the same ads over and over for the same overpriced 2 items day after day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoonView Post
I rarely look in the B/S/T forum because I find it difficult to use. Some titles are just to criptic -- I really do not have the time to open each thread to see what is for sale.
If the items being listed are at the beginning of the post, then you can just hover over the thread title and a pop-up will appear showing you the first few lines of the post.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsjvbView Post
Cbet has a very good point. this isn't a garage sale where you EXPECT stuff to be priced dirt cheap. this is a legitimate website with people who KNOW the value of things.

I have an analogy. My grandmother collected Hummel Figurines. some of her collection is so rare it has no listed value in ANY of the collectors magazines and books. some of her pieces are one of a kinds only manufactured for Germany, or manufactured only for Club members.

when she died, I inherited the set. when appraised, I had pieces that were worth $2500..and yet people were only willing to pay $20 or $30 because it was 'just a figurine'. I also had unscrupulous dealers think they could get away with offering me a pittance KNOWING they could turn around and auction it off to the highest bidder for a lot more. Luckily I knew BEFORE hand how much this stuff was worth and I have yet to find anyone willing to pay a fair price. so, I have them packed up in boxes as I have no room to display them myself.

I don't necessarily think that BST posters are out to turn a profit. I just think they have an idea of what they are willing to let something go for. Just as I have an idea of what I am willing to spend. Just because they didn't pay for a stamp set doesn't mean it doesn't have value.
ITA.

And, IMHO, even if they are out to turn a profit, I really don't have a problem with that either; they are entitled to charge whatever the market will bear, just as consumers are entitled to choose whether or not they are willing to pay it, to own it. It goes both ways. ;)

My grandmother has a small collection of Hummels, which I'm sure one of us grandchildren will inherit when she passes on . . . they are so charming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
ITA.

And, IMHO, even if they are out to turn a profit, I really don't have a problem with that either; they are entitled to charge whatever the market will bear, just as consumers are entitled to choose whether or not they are willing to pay it, to own it. It goes both ways. ;)

My grandmother has a small collection of Hummels, which I'm sure one of us grandchildren will inherit when she passes on . . . they are so charming!

OK, totally not fair.....I was gonna say that! :rolleyes: LOL, It's a free country, people are free to ask what they want just as others are free to say no thanks! I have to admit that when I price a set I also check Ebay to get an average price that set has sold for in the last 30 days or so. If it's a set getting top dollar, I generally set my price at halfway between the average ebay amount and the catalog price or perhaps even less; I think that's fair to both buyer and seller.

Julie, we used to give my mom Hummels back in the day...I can still remember as young kids one year we pooled our money and spent a whopping ELEVEN DOLLARS on one for her. LOL...$11.00!!! Yowza....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
ITA.

I agree with Julie. Sellers have the right to ask what they want just like buyers have a right to buy or not. If it's not to your liking, just move on.

As a side note, if you're looking to buy, but don't want to pay the sellers price, you could pm them to see if they will negotiate the price. Be nice and they may be more than willing to negotiate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
OK, totally not fair.....I was gonna say that! :rolleyes: LOL, It's a free country, people are free to ask what they want just as others are free to say no thanks! I have to admit that when I price a set I also check Ebay to get an average price that set has sold for in the last 30 days or so. If it's a set getting top dollar, I generally set my price at halfway between the average ebay amount and the catalog price or perhaps even less; I think that's fair to both buyer and seller.

Julie, we used to give my mom Hummels back in the day...I can still remember as young kids one year we pooled our money and spent a whopping ELEVEN DOLLARS on one for her. LOL...$11.00!!! Yowza....
We're psychically connected, Betsy. ;)

Yeah, Hummels--great nostalgia, no?! I dunno which of us will inherit them, but, if it's me, I dunno that I would ever be able to sell them, cuz they were my Gram's, UKWIM?

My great uncle just gave me a dresser that my grandfather built for my great auntie, now passed away. He knew I would want it for sentimental reasons. Grams was very touched that I didn't want it to be "lost".
Reply With Quote Likes