Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Australia Stores

In about 2 weeks I'm going to visit the Sydney area and was wondering if anyone knows of any stamping or scrapbook stores I need to visit while I'm there?

My mother will be going with me and she's interested in needlework stores - which ones are on the "have to do" list?

I'm starting to get excited about the trip now that's its finally getting close!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Any splitcoasters in Australia?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

bump :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Anyone from down under here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi! are you almost ready to go?

I just saw your post today! There are must be Aussie SCS ers' here. Did you check under the thread that welcomes newcomers. Or maybe you can have your thread posted in a different forum.

Some body has to know something so you can go shopping! There are Su demos down there too!
Good luck! Have a safe trip and wear your sun tan lotion!:cool:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 03:12 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Im Aussie but from South Australia so not much help to you
I think there is a store that sells rubber stamps called"art stamps at the rocks" in the Rocks area of Sydney-you could try googling for rubber stamps shops in NSW
I usually order most of my stuff on line...or when I visit rels in Victoria
Sorry I am not much help -but welcome to Australia!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

All I can offer is an indirect route. Darkroom Door is an Australian stamp company, and they have a list of the stores they sell to (under stocklists): http://www.darkroomdoor.com/stockists.html You might check the ones listed under New South Wales, where Sydney is located. Most have phone numbers and websites to check as well. Although they don't say Sydney, perhaps they are located in the 'burbs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Oh thank you ladies you're awesome! I'm getting so excited I've been wanting to visit Australia for years and am finally getting a chance. And the fact that my mother is able to go too --priceless!

GypsyRose, thank you for the link I'm going to be spending some online time sorting out the stores with a brick & mortar location. Lots of opportunities to help the local economy :lol:

I've seen some truly amazing needlework in Australian magazines and we're hoping to visit some of those stores too. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Talking

Hi , I am from Melbourne but I googled for you and found a list of scrapbooking shops listed in the business telephone directory.
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search...=1&areaId=1054

Sp if you go there it will gice you shop names that you can google individually.

I do hope you realize that we pay a lot more for things than you do in the USA, stamps double or more.
Anyway good luck in your search and have a great holiday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I'm in the "neighbouring" country, New Zealand (much nicer - you should come here, LOL!). My suggestion would be to pick up an Australian Cardmaking, Stamping & Papercraft magazine when you arrive at the airport, or when you get to your hotel and go for a walk. Just check in a bookstore or newsagent or maybe even a supermarket. It's a good magazine, and in the back pages you will find ads for various stores that will be relevant to your needs?wants. Another good Australian craft magazine is called Handmade (same publisher) and your mom will probably see some good needlecraft supplier ads in that one as well. Hope this helps. Have a great time. Sydney is a wonderful city, but as someone else said above, you will probably find things more expensive than in the US.
Happy Fan Club member.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 01:01 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Default Hello from Sydney

Hi,

I am in Sydney and can recommend a needlework shop in the city - Tapestrycraft. They are at 50 York Street Sydney, which is right in the CBD.

There are not many scrapbook shops you can get to by public transport - but I sometimes go to Catchy Crafts in Hornsby because they are walking distance from the station. It is about 30 minutes from the CBD by train.

I tend to buy my cardmaking and scrapbook supplies online - so I can't help with any other 'real' stores.

I hope you enjoy your trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 03:50 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi.

I live in Sydney and it I can recommend a few stores for you.

However, we probably pay double the price for everything here than what you guys do (when I went to the USA a few years ago I spent up big time!).

At Castle Hill there is a shop called Scrapbook Cottage. At Bella Vista (near Castle Hill) there is Fantasia. In Penrith there is Scrapbook Superstore (but is a hike out of the city).

There is also The Rocks Markets which are on at the weekend (in the city). There used to be a lady there that sold stamps, but I haven't been there in years so not sure if she still goes there. Even if she is not there the markets are worth a look.

None of these places are in the city- so it would depend on where you are staying. If you have a car it may be worth a look, but if it is a hassle to get there I wouldn't bother- you guys have so much more variety than us.

If you come to Sydney you MUST go to Katoomba and the Blue Mountains. If you do there is a needlework shop in Katoomba that is worth a see. I think it is called Dragon Fly Designs.

If you need any more help I am happy to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Oh WOW! Thank you ladies you've made my day (and Mom's!)

I'm hoping the exchange rate will offset the pricing - hmmm, guess I'd better hit the ATM harder than I was planning to. I'll go check out the links and see what great places you've sent me.

We've got a couple local tours included but I don't recall what they are right off but I'll add Katoomba and the Blue Mountains if they aren't already included. New Zealand would be fun but I'll have to take a raincheck this trip.

If you're ever in Southern California let me know . . . . You guys are GREAT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Hello I'm from Ballina NSW when I visit Sydney I go to Paddy's Market and there is a craft stall there has stickers, cardstock, punches etc. not sure if it has stamps or not though. So if you will be near Darling Harbour follow the signs to China Town Paddys Market it's open Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It was open on Wednesday when we were there at the start of the year but the craft stall wasn't opened. Hope this helps as I buy all my stuff on line and funny enough from America.

Have a wonderful trip and if you do go to Darling Harbour go to the information Center and get tickets for the on off bus it takes you around while giving you information and you guessed it you can get off and on at different stops and you only pay once the only thing you have to wait for the on off buses to come back around to get back on.

Take Care
:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I don't live in Sydney but if your there June 16 till June 20 there is a craft and quilt fair on those dates you can check it out at www.craftfair.com.au we have it here in Perth at the moment and it's good. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

devilracer
Mom had heard about the bus ride so I know we'll be checking it out.

big egg,
Ooooh I wish I could be there for the craft fair. lol, there's got to be an interesting story about your screen name
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

I'm from Sydney, but I get much of my stuff from a Spotlight store (large craft shop), my SU demo, because I love SU, and on line. There is a LSS in Leumeah, but it is expensive beyond belief, although I did some scrapbook classes there. If you ask in the CBD for art materials, most of the stores that have Art stuff also have some stamps, cardstock etc. There is not alot available by way of Design Paper, especially Aussie stuff.

Once you get here get in touch with the Aussie SU! as they have some local stamps and stuff you might like in the local catty. The Superstore at Penrith is really good, but it is about two hours on the train or by car.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamastamprView Post
devilracer
Mom had heard about the bus ride so I know we'll be checking it out.

big egg,
Ooooh I wish I could be there for the craft fair. lol, there's got to be an interesting story about your screen name
Sorry no interesting story behind the name it was when my son was little (he is 26 now) and l was helping him with his homework he got frustrated and said it's alright for you your like a big egg meaning egg head lol.

I hope when you get back from your holiday you can post what you thought of Australia lv always wondered what visitors have thought of us are we friendly and helpful is our country as beautiful as we think it is? Did you know there is under 22 million people in the whole country? any way have a wonderful time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eggView Post
I don't live in Sydney but if your there June 16 till June 20 there is a craft and quilt fair *snip* on those dates you can check it out at we have it here in Perth at the moment and it's good. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.:p
Snap. I am in Sydney and do more than a majority of my shopping online too. So am not much help. Sorry. I am so looking forward to the Craft Show in a few weeks. I also wanted to weigh in that I am a "Johnny come lately" to Darkroom Door Stamps and have only 1. but I am in love!! I hope to get some more at the Fair. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I live in the land of Downunder. yep you guessed it i live in Australia
Default What a pity I'm in Brisbane

What a pity I'm in Brisbane I would love to have shared our stores with you and your mum. If you ever come up this way PM me and we could meet and I'll show you our fair city and show you the shops.

Spotlight is a good shop for craft, it is something like Michaels. I had the pleasure of buying up large on a trip to Canada last year. Kept going back to Michaels.

Everyone is right about the prices but I think it's the excitement of buying something from another country. Also we have such different ideas in OZ. You should try and attend a class or two.

My friend is a mad quilter and so I get to check out all the quilts and sewing stuff when we get together. If your mum is into quilting she should look out for some of our Australian designs. They are fab.

I hope you have a lovely holiday. Wear plenty of sunscreen and always swim between the flags.

Make sure you get to Taronga park zoo. How long have you got?

Hooroo Zena
Reply With Quote Likes