Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 AM   #41
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie FWView Post
Sure, I'll join you! Terrific idea! How long are we going to do this?
I don't know. According to my DH, I shouldn't be able to buy anything till Christmas. We each have a monthly allowance to do whatever we want with, but I wasn't counting craft stuff as an allowance purchase and he says it is. So if that is true, I'm pretty much shot for the year. I don't know that I will last that long, but I'm going to try to do my best. I'm sure that probably sounds like a long time to the rest of you, so we can keep going as long as people are still hanging in there.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:47 AM   #42
Mad Swapper

I am sort of doing the same thing. I really tried in July, only spent ten dollars, then August first came and I spent 40 at MFT. I have not even ordered anything from the new catalog, except my preorder June 1. It has been hard, but I do have sooo much stuff, its sick. Its been nice to have extra money over the summer, and when school starts in Sept. I will be getting paychecks again, so who knows what will happen. In the meantime, I have been enjoying using my old stuff. I am with you on this, count me in.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:59 AM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

I love this idea. Everytime I mention Michaels or Joannes or SU my DH rolls his eyes and reminds me of we need to pay this bill and such. I to know that I have way to much stuff. I will join you but not until after this weekend. O ne of my sister-in-laws and I are going to the other sister in laws house in a diffrent large city and we do have to go to her stamping stores. But I will take a limited amount of money with me so I cannot go overboard and I will just have to be more selective.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:12 AM   #44
Matboard Maniac

My mother warned me there'd be people like you out here!!!!!!! Actually, I'm right there with you...I don't "NEED" one more thing...then the JoAnn's where I work will mark something wayyyyyyy down, and with my discount, well...I'm actually SAVING money, Right? Well, I'll start slow...maybe NO MORE PAPER!!! It needs to be a step-by-step program for me!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:45 AM   #45
Hardware Hotshot

I do find this site challenging as to wanting more; however, it also gives me ideas to use with the stamp sets I have. I NEED TO PLEDGE to only buy
one or two items; I don't think I can go cold turkey, but should. Tomorrow I am retiring from an exhausting, stressful job; so plan to make cards and using up some of those many supplies I have. My passion is now designer paper, which isn't as costly. So I'm in at a restricted level Carolyn
Old 08-07-2007, 05:49 AM   #46
Polyshrink Goddess

uh.........no I feel a responsibility to support all these great compainies! They need me.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:56 AM   #47
Vee
Glitter Guru

I am just dieing to get my first paycheck of the school year so I can buy my $250 wish list from the new catty! I haven't bought much all summer except for a few stamps on sale at craft stores and a cuttlebug folder. I had planned to have a garage sale Aug 1st but DH took us to Philidelphia for vacation that weekend (with $ I made on ebay). I have all my garage sale stuff ready, just too hot now at 100 degrees daily and I have to start work in 4 days! So I can join you and have been not buying, but only till Sept 7 when I get paid!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:14 AM   #48
Die Cut Diva

I am going to not buy anything until at least August 15th. Right now I have three sets from Papertrey plus that Janome Mini sewing machine on the way. And a few other non-stamping things. So.... at least stuff is coming! (Plus I received three sets of stamps in the mail yesterday.) I did almost buy some stamps from Cornish Heritage Farms because some of their new stamps are 20% off. The sale runs through Friday.... and it's only Tuesday...

Maybe I need to drop my laptop into a bucket of water and then stick this in the freezer. That way if I really really want to buy something, I'll have to thaw out the laptop.

Kimberly
Old 08-07-2007, 06:20 AM   #49
Insane Embellisher

My DH gave me the 'Talk' once. It was not a pleasant experience on my side of that conversation! I made a deal and I have stuck to it...well for the most part I can spend whatever monies I make by selling stuff on Ebay, having the garage sale we need to have or by selling cards (got an order for baby shower invites yesterday I am so excited!). If there is something I want but don't have the money for (IE cuttlebug machine...want one bad) I need to put money in my weasel sack and save for it unless it's a birthday or anniversary, then he MIGHT buy it for me (hasn't happened yet mind you ) That might work for you guys

My little gallery
Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 AM   #50
Rubber Obsessor

I am thinking of joining... I have a lot of unused stuff and need to get creating so I can justify spending more money. Plus with baby #2 on the way I might have to cut back for good. But the temptation and the joy of opening up a box of goodies is overwhelming. The angel on my right shoulder says do it but the devil on my left shoulder holds the credit card.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 AM   #51
Mad Swapper

-lol Cathy H... I was thinking the same thing as you, except for me it's more like when my husband quits playing poker!

I really do have more than I need and use. I won't join you in your endeavor, but I should cut back. I belong to an SU! Stamp Club... so I'm obligated anyway through December. But I certainly don't need to spend 5x my minimum! (Although I'm sure the hostess of the month appreciates it!)
Old 08-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe, since everyone has different goals for this, if we want to join, we could come up with our own individual pledges. The OP says she might go cold turkey until Christmas.

I know that using the excuse that I had stuff to buy for a secret sister, I also tossed in random purchases for myself. Way too many random purchases. I have three packages coming in the mail within the next two weeks and seriously, that is three packages too many.

I know that there is a set or two in the Winter Mini that I would like, so I might restrict mine to no new stamp sets or embellishments except for one planned purchase I have in mind. And adhesive doesn't count!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #53
Embossing Fanatic

I had already decided not to buy any more until I used what I have. I think I may just be a collector. There will be a scrapbook convention in October near me. My goal is not to buy anything until then. I am going to try to save what I don't spend until then and have that to spend at the convention.

My DH and I have had this same talk and I kindly remind him that he as a fishing boat and a 4-wheeler and that it will take quite awhile for me to rack up the same amount in craft items.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 AM   #54
Rubber Obsessor

I think that we club ladies should strive to only submit our minimum club orders.

And go from there. I mean even doing just that we'll be saving a lot of money!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 AM   #55
Kookie Creator

I'm on board!!!I have 5 kids going back to school(2 in college and one in a catholic school), and we just had the outside of our cabin redone. The cabin is like my husband"s craft room, and now we both have to be done spending for a while. I have been stamping and scrapbooking for 10 years and have accumulated so much stuff I could probably finace one of the college tuitions if I had a garage sale!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #56
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggysueView Post
Maybe, since everyone has different goals for this, if we want to join, we could come up with our own individual pledges.
That sounds great to me! I fully expect that not too many people would go along with my specific time line. (I doubt I can last till Christmas myself!) I was only hoping that we might be here to support each other for as long as we want to be. No one has to follow my rules - we can just help each other with whatever pledge or goal each person makes, whether it's for one month, nothing but stamps, no dp or adhesive, or whatever.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #57
Matboard Maniac

I almost expected to see a frugalities post above this one in the forum list. It always seems to happen.

I have a few parties to go to this month so I unfortunately cannot join. But I wish you all the best of luck!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #58
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by istamp247View Post
I had already decided not to buy any more until I used what I have. I think I may just be a collector. There will be a scrapbook convention in October near me. My goal is not to buy anything until then.

I can take the plunge on this one. I will pledge not to buy anything else until the scrapbook convention that I am going to.

Should be easy.....the convention starts THIS FRIDAY!!

Seriously, I pledge to not buy any more stamp sets until I mount and USE every one of the stamp sets I have.

I have also divided my projects into the "to be finished" bin and the "not yet started bin". I am not buying any more projects to start until I finish those that are in the "to be finished bin". You know the ones...you go to a class...make the cute little brag book and NEVER put the pictures in it or finish it up. So, I am using supplies I already have to finish all these little projects.

The only thing I will buy (after this weekends convention) is adhesive and specific things I need to finish up my Christmas projects (i.e. more paint cans for the spa buckets...).

Good luck to everyone on this challenge.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #59
Die Cut Diva

I've not been spending on anything lately simply because we are so out of money it isn't funny. DH always has less money coming in during summer months because teaching is his second job that brings in the much needed little boost of cash we get. He doesn't teach over the summer but has recently started the next job that will hopefully start paying him more in a couple months (contract to hire position). Then he won't have to teach, he'll just do it because he loves it. He doesn't think he is going to have a class this fall so I'm really hoping he gets hired on as an employee at this other job. The sad thing is that I make about 3x what he makes and we're over here struggling right now. *sigh* I can sneak in a very small purchase here and there, I'm going through withdrawals.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #60
Pearl-ExPert

I once read a quote from some chinese (i think) philosopher - I'm sure I don't have it exactly right, but it goes "Each thing that you possess, possesses you." It means that everything you have requires something from you (beyond the original purchase price). You need to organize it, store it, clean it, protect it, move it when you get something new - you get the picture. And I have to say, that certainly applies to my stash!

I have to say, I was much more relaxed in July when I wasn't buying anything. There are a few things that I need in August, but I'll start the first of September and try to go all the way thru October.

Unless TAC's stamps of the month for those months are too adorable to resist
Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #61
Pearl-ExPert

I will join you!!! I seem to have lost my stamping mojo lately so I really don't need to buy anything new right now. I just placed about a $100 order out of the new SU catty. I don't plan to buy anything new until the end of the year. My goal is to use up all the stuff I have (which is a lot.)

Maybe we can do some trading: some images or paper or ribbons. Spending a few cents on postage to get some "new stuff" wouldn't be too bad.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #62
Gallery Gazer

I'll join!
After I place my order from the new catty (haven't placed one yet ) on Wednesday - but that's being paid for with my holiday pay, so I don't feel guilty about it.

My rules for myself are going to be that I'm not allowed to spend anything on crafting except $ I make selling cards (minimal) and GST cheques (4 times a year, like $90 each). OR money I get for my birthday and Christmas. NO MORE household funds will be paying for my addiction!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #63
Gallery Gazer

Oh yeah, and I will not buy anything else in August.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #64
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddictedView Post
My rules for myself are going to be that I'm not allowed to spend anything on crafting except $ I make selling cards (minimal) and GST cheques (4 times a year, like $90 each). OR money I get for my birthday and Christmas. NO MORE household funds will be paying for my addiction!
Just curious, what is a GST check?

And that was what got me started in May. I started spending birthday money and then . . . I just didn't stop.

Okay, I will not buy any more rubber beyond a planned stamp purchase from the holiday mini. No paper unless I run out of a color. Adhesive as needed. No more embellishments. No random trips to Mike's or Hobby Lobby, ARchiver's. I will avoid evil bay, unless I am selling something. And all other online venues. (yikes, and Papertrey has a new release coming out soon!)

I will do this for the rest of the month of August and the month of September and see how it goes. So I'll do a two month pledge.

I think I need some chocolate . . . .
Old 08-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #65
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggysueView Post
Just curious, what is a GST check?
It's a Canadian thing. We pay 6% General Sales Tax on most purchases, and some people are eligible to receive a portion of it back.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #66
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by palval77View Post
Sorry me to....No Can Do!

Yeah, what she said!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #67
Gallery Gazer

OK, I have been reading this most intriguing thread for a time or two as it has grown. I have decided something earthshattering--in my earth anyway--

I need gluedots so I will be getting some of those but--nothing else until my workshop in Sept. And then I will try very hard to only get up to my limit of free goodies and not spend another $100 over and above...

I have lots of paper
I have some new (new and new to me) stamp sets
I have lots of ink
I have lots of embellishments
I have lots of envelopes

I should be good to go! I hope...sigh!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #68
Polyshrink Goddess

I'll join!! I've made a pact with myself that I won't buy anymore stuff until I get caught up with scrapbooking and make my Xmas cards for this year!!

DH will be sooooo amazed!!

My motto for life: "Less is More"
Old 08-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #69
Compulsive Stamper

I am going to give this a shot as well. I am going to try to not buy any more scrapbooking or stamping supplies until after my wedding, Oct 20th. Of course then there will be the large order for the holiday mini that will need to be placed when I get back from my honeymoon. Boy I hope I can hold off until then.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #70
Rubber Obsessor

Hmmmmm I like the idea of doing some trading amongst ourselves. You know if we do it that way then we won't be unloading tons of money on stuff. But only the price of postage. We'll be getting "new to us" stuff. Maybe that'll help ease the anxiety of not buying anything!!

Anyone else game for this?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #71
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by krzylittlecaraView Post
Hmmmmm I like the idea of doing some trading amongst ourselves. You know if we do it that way then we won't be unloading tons of money on stuff. But only the price of postage. We'll be getting "new to us" stuff. Maybe that'll help ease the anxiety of not buying anything!!

Anyone else game for this?
I'm game but how will this work??

My motto for life: "Less is More"
Old 08-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #72
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

ok for today, a friend gave me the 50% off ACM coupons and I didn't go. Don't know how long I can hold out.
My Facebook Page
Old 08-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #73
Crimping Master

Not to hijack..but in the spirit of a no buying plege..I have started an "Ink it Up Challenge" You don't need to buy anything...or even spend money on postage.

I belong to two hostess groups so I am not going to do the no spending thing...but I am all for using what we have...here is the link to what I am doing

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=275935

There is a sale at my LSS today and I did NOT go and I have figured out my minimum order for my hostess group tonight and have just that amount of cash in my pocket. So I think that is a start in the right direction

Good Luck...come join me if you want..it will be fun...free fun!

come and play the INK IT UP CHALLENGE
Old 08-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #74
Die Cut Diva

No way!!!! Stampaway is in 4 days!

My Gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=52833
Old 08-09-2007, 11:23 AM   #75
Mad Swapper

What have I gotten myself into? This is going to be haaaaaaard. Today I had to go to the copy shop, which is literally next door to the LSS, and it took every ounce of willpower not to walk in the door. And my DS's preschool is down the street. At least come September he'll be in a different school. Whew. But I guess I survived the first big test!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #76
Stampin' Fool

I just took 30.00 that I was going to spend on a stamping/scrapbooking product and put it into my savings account. When I get the urge to spend money on scrapbooking, I am going to put it into the savings account, lol. It should get loaded pretty quickly.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #77
Stazon Splitcoast

Chanteuse, way to go! Way to show that willpower!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #78
Mad Swapper

Terri, that's great! You will really be able to see the benefits of that.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #79
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
I just took 30.00 that I was going to spend on a stamping/scrapbooking product and put it into my savings account. When I get the urge to spend money on scrapbooking, I am going to put it into the savings account, lol. It should get loaded pretty quickly.
Ooh, that's a great idea! If I took that approach, I betcha my hubby would be researching new products just to make me want to buy
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Old 08-13-2007, 04:28 AM   #80
Hardware Hotshot

some of you gals are more disaplined then I am, I vowed to cut back to one or two items when purchasing; however, this site has lots of used stamp sets and a few used in color stamp pads on ebay, so THREE CHEERS FOR EVERYONE STICKING WITH IT, TODAY IS A NEW DAY FOR ME AGAIN
CAROLYN